Default sausage: when to grill, steam, simmer, or saute?

i've come across sausage discussions which say that certain varieties
should always be steamed and never grilled. anyone have thoughts about
when to grill, steam, simmer, or saute? until now, i've always
simmered sausages for 10 minutes to make sure they're cooked, and then
have either grilled or sauted them.

Josh

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> i've come across sausage discussions which say that certain varieties
> should always be steamed and never grilled. anyone have thoughts about
> when to grill, steam, simmer, or saute? until now, i've always
> simmered sausages for 10 minutes to make sure they're cooked, and then
> have either grilled or sauted them.
>
> Josh

Just do as you please. If you simmer first they only get a "finish" on them
from the grill. Longer on the grill will usually render more fat and have a
heavier "crust" on the casing.

Lighter spiced sausages like brats are often simmered first for gentle
cooking. When I cook sausage in the house, I usually put some water in the
pan and simmer until it is gone and then just let them brown on the
outside. They cook a little faster that way as opposed to sitting in a
frying pan. It is also helped by the larger surface contact of the water
than just the pan contacting the tangent point of the casing.

I also like to make sausages on the Showtime rotisserie.

Victor Sack

> i've come across sausage discussions which say that certain varieties
> should always be steamed and never grilled. anyone have thoughts about
> when to grill, steam, simmer, or saute? until now, i've always
> simmered sausages for 10 minutes to make sure they're cooked, and then
> have either grilled or sauted them.

As always in such cases, it really is up to you how to cook any kind of
sausage. However, there are traditional or widely accepted methods of
preparing certain types, at least when they are going to be consumed by
themselves, whole, 'as is'. For example, Bavarian Weißwürste should
always be heated up in water (or brine, in which they are often sold),
but not actually boiled. Real Wiener or Frankfurter Würstchen and
Bockwürste should be also be heated up in water. Bratwürste are to be
grilled or pan-fried, never boiled (which would be as barbarous as
making triangular pierogi).

Victor