FoodBanter.com

-   -   How are Bacon Bits made? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/5435-re-how-bacon-bits.html)

jacqui{JB} 20-03-2004 08:54 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?

Maybe; read the label. If it's real meat, then it's cooked and
crumbled or chopped. If it's not real meat, then it's extruded or
rolled and chopped or crumbled.

> Can people make them at home?

You can certainly crisp-fry thinly sliced bacon and crumble it; a far
superior solution, particularly if you use decent bacon with minimal
additives (Smithfield dry-cured bacon comes to mind).

Some amusing and informative links on the subject:
http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/bacon/bacon.html
http://www.montrealfood.com/baconbits.html
http://www.smithfieldhams.com/bacon/

-j

jacqui{JB} 20-03-2004 08:54 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

[email protected] 20-03-2004 11:46 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

First you catch a bacon..........

[email protected] 20-03-2004 11:46 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

First you catch a bacon..........

[email protected] 20-03-2004 11:47 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

sorry.. I couldn't resist.

[email protected] 20-03-2004 11:47 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

sorry.. I couldn't resist.

d w a c o n 20-03-2004 11:59 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?
> Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

I think the commercial ones are soy with nitrates added... make home made
ones by frying thin sliced bacon extra crispy... drain... then sit in oven
over paper towels for a bit to dry thoroughly... then crumble in your hands.

--
I want my... I want my...
I want my sex TV...

d w a c o n 20-03-2004 11:59 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

Puester 20-03-2004 04:48 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

wrote:

> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?
> Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

First find some little, teeny pigs....

;-)
gloria p

Puester 20-03-2004 04:48 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

zxcvbob 20-03-2004 05:34 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

wrote:
> How are Bacon Bits made? What are the main ingredients? Do they actually
> contain meat? Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

I'm making some right now. I bought a 3 pound box of bacon ends 'n' pieces
last month. The bacon is a *lot* more irregular than these boxes usually
are, so it doesn't fry in slices very well.

So I'm chopping the raw bacon with a sharp knife, then frying it in
batches. I am not pouring off the grease because it makes it easier to cook
the next batch. When it's done, I spoon it out onto paper towels to drain.
When cool, it's not crumbly enough, so I'll put it on the food dehydrator
for a few hours (with a drip tray underneath to catch the fat.)

This is the first time I've tried this, so it's not a proven procedure yet.

-Bob

zxcvbob 20-03-2004 05:34 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

jmcquown 20-03-2004 05:55 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

Puester wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> How are Bacon Bits made?
>> What are the main ingredients?
>> Do they actually contain meat?
>> Can people make them at home?
>>
>> Thanks for all info.

> First find some little, teeny pigs....
>
> ;-)
> gloria p

ROFL! Gloria, you are too much!

jmcquown 20-03-2004 05:55 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

Puester wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> How are Bacon Bits made?
>> What are the main ingredients?
>> Do they actually contain meat?
>> Can people make them at home?
>>
>> Thanks for all info.

> First find some little, teeny pigs....
>
> ;-)
> gloria p

ROFL! Gloria, you are too much!

projectile vomit chick 20-03-2004 06:28 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?
> Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

They are unusually large feces flakes.

projectile vomit chick 20-03-2004 06:28 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

limey 20-03-2004 08:32 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message >
> Most of the commercial brands (like Hormel) are actually made from
> ham scraps rather than pork bellies (cheaper, makes them less
> fatty, and they're easier to preserve).
>
> The fake crunchy ones are TVP with artificial smoke flavoring.
>
> -sw

Er --- what's TVP?

Dora

limey 20-03-2004 08:32 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message >
> Most of the commercial brands (like Hormel) are actually made from
> ham scraps rather than pork bellies (cheaper, makes them less
> fatty, and they're easier to preserve).
>
> The fake crunchy ones are TVP with artificial smoke flavoring.
>
> -sw

Er --- what's TVP?

Dora

Donna Rose 20-03-2004 08:49 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

In article >, says...

> "Steve Wertz" wrote in message >
> > Most of the commercial brands (like Hormel) are actually made from
> > ham scraps rather than pork bellies (cheaper, makes them less
> > fatty, and they're easier to preserve).
> >
> > The fake crunchy ones are TVP with artificial smoke flavoring.
> >
> > -sw

> Er --- what's TVP?
>
> Dora

textured vegetable protein. it's a meat substitute.
--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

Donna Rose 20-03-2004 08:49 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

In article >, says...

x-archive:no 20-03-2004 08:54 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 01:22:22 -0600, wrote:

>How are Bacon Bits made?
>What are the main ingredients?
>Do they actually contain meat?
>Can people make them at home?
>
>Thanks for all info.

The brand "Bacon Bits" is a soy product, with flavoring. They contain
no meat. I don't know how to make them at home.

x-archive:no 20-03-2004 08:54 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

LAllin 20-03-2004 10:07 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

Actually, Steve was pretty close; he was likely referring to a product of
Tone Brothers, labelled Tone Imitation Bacon Bits; I most often see them in
the spice aisle at Sam's Club. There are also at least two other companies
that make Imitation Bacon Bits, Ryt-Way and Marburger.

LAllin 20-03-2004 10:07 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

LAllin 20-03-2004 10:12 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

My bad; that should have read: "Actually, Steve, he was pretty close...."

LAllin 20-03-2004 10:12 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

projectile vomit chick 21-03-2004 02:11 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:07:12 GMT, "LAllin" >
> wrote:
>
> >Actually, Steve was pretty close; he was likely referring to a product of
> >Tone Brothers, labelled Tone Imitation Bacon Bits; I most often see them

in
> >the spice aisle at Sam's Club. There are also at least two other

companies
> >that make Imitation Bacon Bits, Ryt-Way and Marburger.

> "Imitation Bacon Bits" are a product sold by many manufacturers -
> the most common and popular of which is called "Bacos".
>
> "Bacon Bits" are *not* a brand name. It's a product.

Oh, okay O Fat Guru. Lord knows you have to chime in on every ****ing
thread and have to have the last word, too. Do you actually have a life
outside of Usenet?

projectile vomit chick 21-03-2004 02:11 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

projectile vomit chick 21-03-2004 02:12 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:54:23 GMT, "x-archive:no"
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 01:22:22 -0600, wrote:
> >
> >>How are Bacon Bits made?
> >>What are the main ingredients?
> >>Do they actually contain meat?
> >>Can people make them at home?
> >>
> >>Thanks for all info.

> >The brand "Bacon Bits" is a soy product, with flavoring. They contain
> >no meat. I don't know how to make them at home.

> This is what I was trying to find out, how to make these fake ones,
> not how to crush bacon to make real ones. Soy is a good food, and I
> am vegetarian. I love the fake bacon bits and one of those little
> bottles is gone in a few hours. I want to make my own, and make them
> in large amounts. But how? How do I get the soy to start them. Then
> for the flavoring, and finally processing....

One of those bottles is gone in a few hours? Have you ever checked out the
sodium content in that crap?

projectile vomit chick 21-03-2004 02:12 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

zxcvbob 21-03-2004 02:49 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

projectile vomit chick wrote:
> Oh, okay O Fat Guru. Lord knows you have to chime in on every ****ing
> thread and have to have the last word, too. Do you actually have a life
> outside of Usenet?

Oh, the irony.

regards,
bob

--
"May an unclean yak have an accident on your toupee."
-The Great Karnak

zxcvbob 21-03-2004 02:49 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

projectile vomit chick wrote:
> Oh, okay O Fat Guru. Lord knows you have to chime in on every ****ing
> thread and have to have the last word, too. Do you actually have a life
> outside of Usenet?

Oh, the irony.

regards,
bob

Puester 21-03-2004 03:02 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:54:23 GMT, "x-archive:no"
> > wrote:
>

> >The brand "Bacon Bits" is a soy product, with flavoring. They contain
> >no meat. I don't know how to make them at home.

> This is what I was trying to find out, how to make these fake ones,
> not how to crush bacon to make real ones. Soy is a good food, and I
> am vegetarian. I love the fake bacon bits and one of those little
> bottles is gone in a few hours. I want to make my own, and make them
> in large amounts. But how? How do I get the soy to start them. Then
> for the flavoring, and finally processing....
>
> Thanks

Are you sure you're not a Flexitarian? If you're gonna
gorge on fake bacon, what's next?

gloria -p

Puester 21-03-2004 03:02 AM

How are Bacon Bits made?

Laura 21-03-2004 01:33 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?
> Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

pig hoof clippings.. gives them some crunch too..

If you have a pig at home..just give him a pedicure this afternoon...

--
Laura

Laura 21-03-2004 01:33 PM

How are Bacon Bits made?