FoodBanter.com

-   -   Soft chewy cookies (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/54248-soft-chewy-cookies.html)

Lewis Dodd 15-02-2005 06:04 PM

Soft chewy cookies

What ingredient makes cookies soft and chewy, like the special chocolate
chip cookies?

--
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce.

George 15-02-2005 06:31 PM

Lewis Dodd wrote:
> What ingredient makes cookies soft and chewy, like the special chocolate
> chip cookies?
>
> --
> Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
> you bounce.

The higher the fat content the softer and longer lasting they become.

[email protected] 16-02-2005 03:15 PM

George wrote:
> Lewis Dodd wrote:
> > What ingredient makes cookies soft and chewy, like the special

chocolate
> > chip cookies?
> >
> > --
> > Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but

how well
> > you bounce.
> >

> The higher the fat content the softer and longer lasting they become.

Well, maybe, but not in my experience. My cookies made with butter as
the shortening are always crispier and harder than my cookies made with
oleo. Vegetable shortening would probably work the same as oleo, but I
never use it.

I prefer the butter ones myself, but my family likes them softer.

N.

K. Reece 17-02-2005 03:07 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> George wrote:
>> Lewis Dodd wrote:
>> > What ingredient makes cookies soft and chewy, like the special

> chocolate
>> > chip cookies?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but

> how well
>> > you bounce.
>> >

>> The higher the fat content the softer and longer lasting they become.

> Well, maybe, but not in my experience. My cookies made with butter as
> the shortening are always crispier and harder than my cookies made with
> oleo. Vegetable shortening would probably work the same as oleo, but I
> never use it.
>
> I prefer the butter ones myself, but my family likes them softer.
>
> N.

My experience is the opposite. I make soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies
with butter.

Kathy

zuuum 17-02-2005 03:31 AM

"K. Reece" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> George wrote:

>> chocolate

>> how well
>>> >

>>> The higher the fat content the softer and longer lasting they become.

>> Well, maybe, but not in my experience. My cookies made with butter as
>> the shortening are always crispier and harder than my cookies made with
>> oleo. Vegetable shortening would probably work the same as oleo, but I
>> never use it.
>>
>> I prefer the butter ones myself, but my family likes them softer.
>>
>> N.
>>

> My experience is the opposite. I make soft and chewy chocolate chip
> cookies with butter.

Since fat shortens (as in shortbread/crumbly), I would suspect egg is the
ingredient you are missing.

Cookie tips at http://www.cafecreosote.com/Reference/CookieTips.php3

Alex Rast 18-02-2005 12:35 AM

at Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:04:02 GMT in >,
(Lewis Dodd) wrote :

> What ingredient makes cookies soft and chewy, like the special
> chocolate
>chip cookies?

2 different ingredients.

For soft, increase the ratio of eggs.

For chewy, increase the ratio of sugar.

So, for soft and chewy, increase the ratio of eggs and sugar at the expense
of that of flour and butter.

Brown sugar is particularly effective at making the cookies chewier.

As a tweak, bread flour makes cookies chewier than all-purpose, which is
chewier than pastry flour, which is chewier than cake flour. But the
differences are slight until you start comparing the extremes - i.e. bread
flour cookies will be considerably chewier than cake flour cookies.

--
Alex Rast

-- 18-02-2005 04:27 PM

putting them in the cookie jar with a small apple -

however, infusing them with lecithin or a like softener under a thousand
pounds of pressure at the factory also works