zxcvbob

Default Pastry for Quiche?

Rummaging through the freezer I found some swiss cheese, bacon, and
frozen spinach (not necessarily in that order). Add some eggs and
that's the basic fixin's for a quiche. What is a decent quiche crust
that's not *too* loaded with fat? Or should I just make a half a recipe
of normal pastry with butter and lard and roll it *really* thin?

Thanks, regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Donna Rose wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>
>> Rummaging through the freezer I found some swiss cheese, bacon, and
>> frozen spinach (not necessarily in that order). Add some eggs and
>> that's the basic fixin's for a quiche. What is a decent quiche
>> crust that's not *too* loaded with fat? Or should I just make a
>> half a recipe of normal pastry with butter and lard and roll it
>> *really* thin?
>>

> I like to use several sheets of phyllo dough - except you need to
> plan ahead for that unless you can get it fresh locally, as it needs
> to defrost in the 'fridge for 24 hours if you buy it frozen. I put
> canola oil in my misto and lightly spray between the layers, instead
> of brushing with butter, which still results in flaky, distinct
> layers without the use of too much fat.

I also saw a box of phyllo dough in there; no telling how old it is. I
should defrost it and either use it or pitch it, depending on if it's
still good or freezerburned. And I can brush the layers with just a
little bacon grease (no since in letting bacon grease go to waste.)

> Alternatively, you could do a crustless quiche, or perhaps use almond
> meal (yes, I know, almonds have fat, but at least it's *good* fat) or
> ground up some of your favorite crackers using just enough melted butter
> to bind them so you can form them into the bottom of your pie plate.

I have some ground almonds. If the phyllo is unusable, I might just
make that 1/2 recipe of pastry dough, and substitute almond meal for
part of the flour to make it interesting.

Thanks, and best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Donna Rose wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>
>> Rummaging through the freezer I found some swiss cheese, bacon, and
>> frozen spinach (not necessarily in that order). Add some eggs and
>> that's the basic fixin's for a quiche. What is a decent quiche
>> crust that's not *too* loaded with fat? Or should I just make a
>> half a recipe of normal pastry with butter and lard and roll it
>> *really* thin?
>>

> I like to use several sheets of phyllo dough - except you need to
> plan ahead for that unless you can get it fresh locally, as it needs
> to defrost in the 'fridge for 24 hours if you buy it frozen. I put
> canola oil in my misto and lightly spray between the layers, instead
> of brushing with butter, which still results in flaky, distinct
> layers without the use of too much fat.

I also saw a box of phyllo dough in there; no telling how old it is. I
should defrost it and either use it or pitch it, depending on if it's
still good or freezerburned. And I can brush the layers with just a
little bacon grease (no since in letting bacon grease go to waste.)

> Alternatively, you could do a crustless quiche, or perhaps use almond
> meal (yes, I know, almonds have fat, but at least it's *good* fat) or
> ground up some of your favorite crackers using just enough melted butter
> to bind them so you can form them into the bottom of your pie plate.

I have some ground almonds. If the phyllo is unusable, I might just
make that 1/2 recipe of pastry dough, and substitute almond meal for
part of the flour to make it interesting.

Thanks, and best regards,
Bob

Julia Altshuler

zxcvbob wrote:

> I also saw a box of phyllo dough in there; no telling how old it is. I
> should defrost it and either use it or pitch it, depending on if it's
> still good or freezerburned.

Maybe you can use your box of phyllo to settle a bet for me. I'm of the
opinion that phyllo becomes dry, brittle and basically no fun to use if
it is left in the freezer too long, even if it stays frozen the whole
time. I think phyllo has to be fresh meaning frozen for only a few
weeks, defrosted in the refrigerator and then used right away. Another
is of the opinion that the brittle unusableness happens when the phyllo
is frozen and defrosted and frozen again too often. Any thoughts?

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

zxcvbob wrote:

> I also saw a box of phyllo dough in there; no telling how old it is. I
> should defrost it and either use it or pitch it, depending on if it's
> still good or freezerburned.

Maybe you can use your box of phyllo to settle a bet for me. I'm of the
opinion that phyllo becomes dry, brittle and basically no fun to use if
it is left in the freezer too long, even if it stays frozen the whole
time. I think phyllo has to be fresh meaning frozen for only a few
weeks, defrosted in the refrigerator and then used right away. Another
is of the opinion that the brittle unusableness happens when the phyllo
is frozen and defrosted and frozen again too often. Any thoughts?

--Lia

Reg

Donna Rose wrote:

> I think you may be right though. It certainly seems to make sense,
> anyway. I've never frozen and defrosted phyllo multiple times, and I've
> certainly experienced brittle phyllo dough in the past. It's one of the
> reasons I've stopped buying it at the supermarket and have located a
> Greek specialty store here in S.F. that sells it fresh.

What store? Sounds interesting.

Reg

Donna Rose wrote:

> I think you may be right though. It certainly seems to make sense,
> anyway. I've never frozen and defrosted phyllo multiple times, and I've
> certainly experienced brittle phyllo dough in the past. It's one of the
> reasons I've stopped buying it at the supermarket and have located a
> Greek specialty store here in S.F. that sells it fresh.

What store? Sounds interesting.

Reg

Donna Rose wrote:

> I don't remember the name of it, but it's on Mission Street, I think
> between 22nd & 23rd. It's got a blue and white sign, and says something
> like "Greek Specialties" in Greek-type lettering.

You rock. Thanks.

Reg

Donna Rose wrote:

> I don't remember the name of it, but it's on Mission Street, I think
> between 22nd & 23rd. It's got a blue and white sign, and says something
> like "Greek Specialties" in Greek-type lettering.

You rock. Thanks.

Dave Smith

zxcvbob wrote:

> Rummaging through the freezer I found some swiss cheese, bacon, and
> frozen spinach (not necessarily in that order). Add some eggs and
> that's the basic fixin's for a quiche. What is a decent quiche crust
> that's not *too* loaded with fat? Or should I just make a half a recipe
> of normal pastry with butter and lard and roll it *really* thin?

All pie and tart pastries have pretty much the same amount of fat, and
pastry is not very good if it is rolled out too thin.

Dave Smith

zxcvbob wrote:

> Rummaging through the freezer I found some swiss cheese, bacon, and
> frozen spinach (not necessarily in that order). Add some eggs and
> that's the basic fixin's for a quiche. What is a decent quiche crust
> that's not *too* loaded with fat? Or should I just make a half a recipe
> of normal pastry with butter and lard and roll it *really* thin?

All pie and tart pastries have pretty much the same amount of fat, and
pastry is not very good if it is rolled out too thin.

Levelwave©

Dog3 wrote:

> Ya' know, I've always had the same issue with frozen phyllo. I really do
> not want to use it.

Ok this is starting to bug me... so what the heck is Phyllo?

~john

Levelwave©

Dog3 wrote:

> Ya' know, I've always had the same issue with frozen phyllo. I really do
> not want to use it.

Ok this is starting to bug me... so what the heck is Phyllo?

~john

zxcvbob

Levelwave© wrote:

> Dog3 wrote:
>

>> Ya' know, I've always had the same issue with frozen phyllo. I really
>> do not want to use it.

> Ok this is starting to bug me... so what the heck is Phyllo?
>
> ~john

Paper thin pastry dough. You buy it ready made -- and usually frozen.
Have you ever eaten baklava? It is made with phyllo, honey, and nuts. (and
butter?)

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob

Levelwave© wrote:

> Dog3 wrote:
>

>> Ya' know, I've always had the same issue with frozen phyllo. I really
>> do not want to use it.

> Ok this is starting to bug me... so what the heck is Phyllo?
>
> ~john

Paper thin pastry dough. You buy it ready made -- and usually frozen.
Have you ever eaten baklava? It is made with phyllo, honey, and nuts. (and
butter?)

Best regards,
Bob
Levelwave©

zxcvbob wrote:

> Paper thin pastry dough. You buy it ready made -- and usually frozen.
> Have you ever eaten baklava? It is made with phyllo, honey, and nuts.
> (and butter?)

Ahhhhh yes... thanks for clearin' that up. I'll have to check my
grocer's freezer for next time for this whole "phyllo" phenomenon...
Though I've never cared much for Baklavas... too sweet IMO.

~john
Levelwave©

zxcvbob wrote:

> Paper thin pastry dough. You buy it ready made -- and usually frozen.
> Have you ever eaten baklava? It is made with phyllo, honey, and nuts.
> (and butter?)

Ahhhhh yes... thanks for clearin' that up. I'll have to check my
grocer's freezer for next time for this whole "phyllo" phenomenon...
Though I've never cared much for Baklavas... too sweet IMO.

~john
Julia Altshuler

Dog3 wrote:
> Ya' know, I've always had the same issue with frozen phyllo. I really do
> not want to use it.

Oh, but it is wonderful stuff when you get a good box of it. When it is
soft and works right, there's nothing so easy, elegant and delicious.
You make up your filling all in one pan. You melt the butter in
another. Then you set up your work table with the phyllo unwrapped and
spread out. You brush butter on the phyllo, put in a spoonfull of the
filling, wrap it up, brush butter on the next one, wrap, remove to
buttered baking dish and continue that way until you have an oven full
of delectable buttery appetizers or treats.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Dog3 wrote:
> Ya' know, I've always had the same issue with frozen phyllo. I really do
> not want to use it.

Oh, but it is wonderful stuff when you get a good box of it. When it is
soft and works right, there's nothing so easy, elegant and delicious.
You make up your filling all in one pan. You melt the butter in
another. Then you set up your work table with the phyllo unwrapped and
spread out. You brush butter on the phyllo, put in a spoonfull of the
filling, wrap it up, brush butter on the next one, wrap, remove to
buttered baking dish and continue that way until you have an oven full
of delectable buttery appetizers or treats.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Levelwave© wrote:

> Ahhhhh yes, thanks for clearin' that up. I'll have to check my
> grocer's freezer for next time for this whole "phyllo" phenomenon.
> Though I've never cared much for Baklavas, too sweet IMO.

I've seen it spelled with every combination: phyllo, filo, fillo, etc.
if that helps you find it. I've always pronounced it feel-oh and have
no idea if that's correct. I've never cared for the sweet preparations
either, but the savory applications can be wonderful. Fillings can
include: spinach, feta, eggs, garlic, or soft cheese, feta, eggs,
parsley. Almost any leftover vegetables can be chopped up, combined
with grated cheese and something flavorful like sauteed onions or fresh
or dried herbs and put inside the buttery, flaky phyllo with wonderful
results.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Levelwave© wrote:

> Ahhhhh yes, thanks for clearin' that up. I'll have to check my
> grocer's freezer for next time for this whole "phyllo" phenomenon.
> Though I've never cared much for Baklavas, too sweet IMO.

I've seen it spelled with every combination: phyllo, filo, fillo, etc.
if that helps you find it. I've always pronounced it feel-oh and have
no idea if that's correct. I've never cared for the sweet preparations
either, but the savory applications can be wonderful. Fillings can
include: spinach, feta, eggs, garlic, or soft cheese, feta, eggs,
parsley. Almost any leftover vegetables can be chopped up, combined
with grated cheese and something flavorful like sauteed onions or fresh
or dried herbs and put inside the buttery, flaky phyllo with wonderful
results.

--Lia

jmcquown

zxcvbob wrote:
> Rummaging through the freezer I found some swiss cheese, bacon, and
> frozen spinach (not necessarily in that order). Add some eggs and
> that's the basic fixin's for a quiche. What is a decent quiche crust
> that's not *too* loaded with fat? Or should I just make a half a
> recipe of normal pastry with butter and lard and roll it *really*
> thin?
>
> Thanks, regards,
> Bob

Heh. I just buy frozen deep dish pie crust I was never good with
rolling out pastry.

Jill

jmcquown

zxcvbob wrote:
> Rummaging through the freezer I found some swiss cheese, bacon, and
> frozen spinach (not necessarily in that order). Add some eggs and
> that's the basic fixin's for a quiche. What is a decent quiche crust
> that's not *too* loaded with fat? Or should I just make a half a
> recipe of normal pastry with butter and lard and roll it *really*
> thin?
>
> Thanks, regards,
> Bob

Heh. I just buy frozen deep dish pie crust I was never good with
rolling out pastry.

Jill

Dave Smith

Levelwave=A9 wrote:

> Ahhhhh yes... thanks for clearin' that up. I'll have to check my
> grocer's freezer for next time for this whole "phyllo" phenomenon...
> Though I've never cared much for Baklavas... too sweet IMO.

The sweetness is because of all the honey and sugar syrup that gets poure=
over it. Between that and the richness of the nuts, it is one of those
things that should be served in small portions. Some baklavas have more
honey that others. There was one vendor at the St. Lawrence market in
Toronto who used to have his baklava soaking in a pan of pure honey.

Phyllo is very versatile stuff and surprisingly easy to work with. One of=
my
favourites is salmon fillets wrapped in phyllo.

Dave Smith

Levelwave=A9 wrote:

> Ahhhhh yes... thanks for clearin' that up. I'll have to check my
> grocer's freezer for next time for this whole "phyllo" phenomenon...
> Though I've never cared much for Baklavas... too sweet IMO.

The sweetness is because of all the honey and sugar syrup that gets poure=
over it. Between that and the richness of the nuts, it is one of those
things that should be served in small portions. Some baklavas have more
honey that others. There was one vendor at the St. Lawrence market in
Toronto who used to have his baklava soaking in a pan of pure honey.

Phyllo is very versatile stuff and surprisingly easy to work with. One of=
my
favourites is salmon fillets wrapped in phyllo.

Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:

> Rummaging through the freezer I found some swiss cheese, bacon, and
> frozen spinach (not necessarily in that order). Add some eggs and
> that's the basic fixin's for a quiche. What is a decent quiche crust
> that's not *too* loaded with fat? Or should I just make a half a recipe
> of normal pastry with butter and lard and roll it *really* thin?

If it has to be a traditional sort of crust, it'll need a fair amount
of fat. But there are many other ways to get there. I'd suggest
spraying the cooking vessel with Pam or equivalent:
1) lavash - there are thin versions of it now in the stores. Like a
tortilla, but breadier. Line the vessel you're making the quiche in
with it.
2) tortillas - one or more to line a vessel.
3) crumb crusts - any sort of crumbs you'd like. Bind them with water
and/or egg.
5) bread dough rolled very thin, filled and baked before it can rise.
6) ground nuts - almonds are wonderful for this.
7) crepes - line the vessel.
8) lasagna sheets - line the vessel.
9) thin slices of ham - line the vessel.
10) queso fresco or paneer cheese - cut to thin slices, line the
vessel, and fill and bake as usual.
11) Bake it into a bread boule.

I'm saying vessel because it doesn't have to be a pie plate. It can be
a muffin tin with individual portions baked in any of the above
"crusts." It can be a cast iron or non-stick skillet with no crust at all.

Given that you're putting eggs and cheese in the quiche, the fat in
the crust won't be that much additional. Maybe make it classically and
eat a bit less.

Or make an omelet or a frittata...

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:

> Rummaging through the freezer I found some swiss cheese, bacon, and
> frozen spinach (not necessarily in that order). Add some eggs and
> that's the basic fixin's for a quiche. What is a decent quiche crust
> that's not *too* loaded with fat? Or should I just make a half a recipe
> of normal pastry with butter and lard and roll it *really* thin?

If it has to be a traditional sort of crust, it'll need a fair amount
of fat. But there are many other ways to get there. I'd suggest
spraying the cooking vessel with Pam or equivalent:
1) lavash - there are thin versions of it now in the stores. Like a
tortilla, but breadier. Line the vessel you're making the quiche in
with it.
2) tortillas - one or more to line a vessel.
3) crumb crusts - any sort of crumbs you'd like. Bind them with water
and/or egg.
5) bread dough rolled very thin, filled and baked before it can rise.
6) ground nuts - almonds are wonderful for this.
7) crepes - line the vessel.
8) lasagna sheets - line the vessel.
9) thin slices of ham - line the vessel.
10) queso fresco or paneer cheese - cut to thin slices, line the
vessel, and fill and bake as usual.
11) Bake it into a bread boule.

I'm saying vessel because it doesn't have to be a pie plate. It can be
a muffin tin with individual portions baked in any of the above
"crusts." It can be a cast iron or non-stick skillet with no crust at all.

Given that you're putting eggs and cheese in the quiche, the fat in
the crust won't be that much additional. Maybe make it classically and
eat a bit less.

Or make an omelet or a frittata...

Pastorio

MareCat

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:48:13 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Rummaging through the freezer I found some swiss cheese, bacon, and
>frozen spinach (not necessarily in that order). Add some eggs and
>that's the basic fixin's for a quiche. What is a decent quiche crust
>that's not *too* loaded with fat? Or should I just make a half a recipe
>of normal pastry with butter and lard and roll it *really* thin?
>
>Thanks, regards,
>Bob

I just made a very good (not to mention, quick and easy) crustless
quiche the other night. The recipe (below) was originally posted by
Cryambers in here. I substituted frozen chopped broccoli for the
spinach and omitted the nutmeg. I also added 3/4 cup or so of leftover
chopped deli ham.

Mary

Crustless Quiche

1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 lb. swiss cheese, diced
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
dash ground nutmeg
vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Lay thawed spinach on paper towels. Blot and squeeze the spinach
until barely moist. Set aside.

Combine cheese and flour. Set aside.

Blend eggs and milk. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in spinach
and the cheese-flour mixture.

Pour into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 350F for 55 to 60 minutes, until set.

Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
MareCat

wrote:

>Rummaging through the freezer I found some swiss cheese, bacon, and
>frozen spinach (not necessarily in that order). Add some eggs and
>that's the basic fixin's for a quiche. What is a decent quiche crust
>that's not *too* loaded with fat? Or should I just make a half a recipe
>of normal pastry with butter and lard and roll it *really* thin?
>
>Thanks, regards,
>Bob

I just made a very good (not to mention, quick and easy) crustless
quiche the other night. The recipe (below) was originally posted by
Cryambers in here. I substituted frozen chopped broccoli for the
spinach and omitted the nutmeg. I also added 3/4 cup or so of leftover
chopped deli ham.

Mary

Crustless Quiche

1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 lb. swiss cheese, diced
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
dash ground nutmeg
vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Lay thawed spinach on paper towels. Blot and squeeze the spinach
until barely moist. Set aside.

Combine cheese and flour. Set aside.

Blend eggs and milk. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in spinach
and the cheese-flour mixture.

Pour into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 350F for 55 to 60 minutes, until set.

Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

sf

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:00:33 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> Dog3 wrote:
> > Ya' know, I've always had the same issue with frozen phyllo. I really do
> > not want to use it.

> Oh, but it is wonderful stuff when you get a good box of it. When it is
> soft and works right, there's nothing so easy, elegant and delicious.
> You make up your filling all in one pan. You melt the butter in
> another. Then you set up your work table with the phyllo unwrapped and
> spread out. You brush butter on the phyllo, put in a spoonfull of the
> filling, wrap it up, brush butter on the next one, wrap, remove to
> buttered baking dish and continue that way until you have an oven full
> of delectable buttery appetizers or treats.

I'm lucky, I can go to the source and get fresh phyllo that
is sublime. I've rarely encountered frozen phyllo that
thaws well... no matter how carefully I defrost it, I always
seem to have a "wet" spot.

sf

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:00:33 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> Dog3 wrote:
> > Ya' know, I've always had the same issue with frozen phyllo. I really do
> > not want to use it.

> Oh, but it is wonderful stuff when you get a good box of it. When it is
> soft and works right, there's nothing so easy, elegant and delicious.
> You make up your filling all in one pan. You melt the butter in
> another. Then you set up your work table with the phyllo unwrapped and
> spread out. You brush butter on the phyllo, put in a spoonfull of the
> filling, wrap it up, brush butter on the next one, wrap, remove to
> buttered baking dish and continue that way until you have an oven full
> of delectable buttery appetizers or treats.

I'm lucky, I can go to the source and get fresh phyllo that
is sublime. I've rarely encountered frozen phyllo that
thaws well... no matter how carefully I defrost it, I always
seem to have a "wet" spot.

sf

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:06:25 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> Levelwave© wrote:
>

> > Ahhhhh yes, thanks for clearin' that up. I'll have to check my
> > grocer's freezer for next time for this whole "phyllo" phenomenon.
> > Though I've never cared much for Baklavas, too sweet IMO.

> I've seen it spelled with every combination: phyllo, filo, fillo, etc.
> if that helps you find it. I've always pronounced it feel-oh and have
> no idea if that's correct. I've never cared for the sweet preparations
> either, but the savory applications can be wonderful. Fillings can
> include: spinach, feta, eggs, garlic, or soft cheese, feta, eggs,
> parsley. Almost any leftover vegetables can be chopped up, combined
> with grated cheese and something flavorful like sauteed onions or fresh
> or dried herbs and put inside the buttery, flaky phyllo with wonderful
> results.

The sweet preparation I've used is a combination of recipes
for baklava and those cigar shaped thingies. I've made them
cigar shaped and used the filling parts that appealed to me
(and were easily & inexpensively available... so no
pistachio nuts). It as very good!

As far as savory fillings, I agree. Love 'em!

sf

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:06:25 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> Levelwave© wrote:
>

> > Ahhhhh yes, thanks for clearin' that up. I'll have to check my
> > grocer's freezer for next time for this whole "phyllo" phenomenon.
> > Though I've never cared much for Baklavas, too sweet IMO.

> I've seen it spelled with every combination: phyllo, filo, fillo, etc.
> if that helps you find it. I've always pronounced it feel-oh and have
> no idea if that's correct. I've never cared for the sweet preparations
> either, but the savory applications can be wonderful. Fillings can
> include: spinach, feta, eggs, garlic, or soft cheese, feta, eggs,
> parsley. Almost any leftover vegetables can be chopped up, combined
> with grated cheese and something flavorful like sauteed onions or fresh
> or dried herbs and put inside the buttery, flaky phyllo with wonderful
> results.

The sweet preparation I've used is a combination of recipes
for baklava and those cigar shaped thingies. I've made them
cigar shaped and used the filling parts that appealed to me
(and were easily & inexpensively available... so no
pistachio nuts). It as very good!

As far as savory fillings, I agree. Love 'em!

Dave Smith

MareCat wrote:

> I just made a very good (not to mention, quick and easy) crustless
> quiche the other night. The recipe (below) was originally posted by
> Cryambers in here. I substituted frozen chopped broccoli for the
> spinach and omitted the nutmeg. I also added 3/4 cup or so of leftover
> chopped deli ham.

Sounds tasty, but considering that quiche is a savory custard pie, a
crustless quiche would be a savoury custard, not a quiche.

Quiche notbob General Cooking 46 02-06-2016 06:26 PM
Quiche [email protected] General Cooking 110 10-09-2006 07:07 PM
Quiche pastry conrad Baking 19 21-12-2004 12:33 PM