Wayne Boatwright

Default Frozen King Crab in AZ?

Does anyone know if frozen king crabmeat is available in AZ stores? I've
looked for it many times at various supermarkets, but can't seem to locate
it. I used to buy it regularly when we lived in NE Ohio. It was sold in 6
oz. packages, but I can't remember the brand.

TIA
Wayne
nancree

Do you have a Costco nearby? They have a large can of frozen
crabmeat--very good quality.
Hope you can find it.
Nancree

nancree

this may be my second answer--I think the other one didn't go through.
Costco has huge cans of frozen crab. And very good quality,

recommend it.
nancree

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 02:20:41a, nancree wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Do you have a Costco nearby? They have a large can of frozen
> crabmeat--very good quality.
> Hope you can find it.
> Nancree

Thank you, Nancree. Costco is the one place I didn't think to look. Will
do.

Wayne
Ginny Sher

On 14 Feb 2005 03:50:57 -0800, "nancree" > wrote:

>this may be my second answer--I think the other one didn't go through.
>Costco has huge cans of frozen crab. And very good quality,

>recommend it.
> nancree

Please clarify for me... I've seen cans of dungeness crab at Costco in
the past. Those cans are in the deli section and not frozen. I've
never bought one, but was tempted. Periodically I see them selling
frozen King Crab "legs", shrimp and lobster tails in a traveling road
show. Are you saying there are *frozen* cans of King Crab?

Thanks!
Ginny

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> Does anyone know if frozen king crabmeat is available in AZ stores?
> I've looked for it many times at various supermarkets, but can't seem
> to locate it. I used to buy it regularly when we lived in NE Ohio.
> It was sold in 6 oz. packages, but I can't remember the brand.

Wakefield?
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Sam pics added 2-7-05
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 08:15:49a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if frozen king crabmeat is available in AZ stores?
>> I've looked for it many times at various supermarkets, but can't seem
>> to locate it. I used to buy it regularly when we lived in NE Ohio.
>> It was sold in 6 oz. packages, but I can't remember the brand.

> Wakefield?

Yes, that's it, Wakefield! Appears to be non-existent here in AZ. If it
were in the stores I frequent, I'd have recognized it right away. Is it
still around in the midwest?

Wayne
jmcquown

Ginny Sher wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2005 03:50:57 -0800, "nancree" > wrote:
>

>> this may be my second answer--I think the other one didn't go
>> through. Costco has huge cans of frozen crab. And very good quality,

>> recommend it.
>> nancree

> Please clarify for me... I've seen cans of dungeness crab at Costco in
> the past. Those cans are in the deli section and not frozen. I've
> never bought one, but was tempted. Periodically I see them selling
> frozen King Crab "legs", shrimp and lobster tails in a traveling road
> show. Are you saying there are *frozen* cans of King Crab?
>
> Thanks!
> Ginny

I agree, Ginny; doesn't sound right to me. I'm assuming (probably stupidly)
chilled cans of crab meat, not "frozen".

Jill

Nancy Young

"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message

> Please clarify for me... I've seen cans of dungeness crab at Costco in
> the past. Those cans are in the deli section and not frozen. I've
> never bought one, but was tempted. Periodically I see them selling
> frozen King Crab "legs", shrimp and lobster tails in a traveling road
> show. Are you saying there are *frozen* cans of King Crab?

I saw cans of crabmeat on ice in my local supermarket. Not frozen,
just on ice.

I grabbed 2 cans without thinking, just happy to see it. Little did I
know they were like 12 dollars a can! (laugh) My grocery bill
that day was higher than I had expected! I sure wouldn't have
bought 2 if I knew the price. That's okay, it was very good and
I'd buy it again, just not on a whim.

nancy

Bill Wright

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Does anyone know if frozen king crabmeat is available in AZ stores? I've
> looked for it many times at various supermarkets, but can't seem to locate
> it. I used to buy it regularly when we lived in NE Ohio. It was sold in 6
> oz. packages, but I can't remember the brand.
>
> TIA
> Wayne

I don't know about the Costco in Az but I live in Sunnyvale, Ca and
every Friday, Saturday & Sunday our Costco has a portable stand of
seafood which is king crablegs, crab, shrimp, clams & muscles. they keep
it by the meat department. As a matter of fact yesterday (2-13) I bought
3 lbs for dinner last night.
MareCat

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Ginny Sher wrote:
> > On 14 Feb 2005 03:50:57 -0800, "nancree" > wrote:
> >

> >> this may be my second answer--I think the other one didn't go
> >> through. Costco has huge cans of frozen crab. And very good quality,

> >> recommend it.
> >> nancree

> > Please clarify for me... I've seen cans of dungeness crab at Costco in
> > the past. Those cans are in the deli section and not frozen. I've
> > never bought one, but was tempted. Periodically I see them selling
> > frozen King Crab "legs", shrimp and lobster tails in a traveling road
> > show. Are you saying there are *frozen* cans of King Crab?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Ginny

> I agree, Ginny; doesn't sound right to me. I'm assuming (probably

stupidly)
> chilled cans of crab meat, not "frozen".

There are cans of crabmeat sold in some supermarkets in this area
(Houston--H-E-B is one supermarket chain). Chilled cans (Phillips Seafood is
one such brand), sold in the seafood dept.

Mary

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> >> It was sold in 6 oz. packages, but I can't remember the brand.

> > Wakefield?

> Yes, that's it, Wakefield! Appears to be non-existent here in AZ. If it
> were in the stores I frequent, I'd have recognized it right away. Is it
> still around in the midwest?
>
> Wayne

I haven't noticed. Haven't looked, either.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Sam pics added 2-7-05
"I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.
nancree

Please clarify for me... I've seen cans of dungeness crab at Costco in
the past. Those cans are in the deli section and not frozen. I've
never bought one, but was tempted. Periodically I see them selling
frozen King Crab "legs", shrimp and lobster tails in a traveling road
show. Are you saying there are *frozen* cans of King Crab
Thanks! Ginny "
------------------
Mea culpa. It is, indeed, refrigerated cans of crab, not frozen.
Sorry to mislead you, Wayne.
Nancree

?

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 15 Feb 2005 02:10:35a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> :

>>> Yes, that's it, Wakefield! Appears to be non-existent here in AZ.
>>> If it were in the stores I frequent, I'd have recognized it right
>>> away. Is it still around in the midwest?
>>>
>>> Wayne

>> I haven't noticed. Haven't looked, either.

> Wakefield is available frozen in St. Louis but I have never tried it. I
> use fresh crab when I need it for a good recipe and canned crab for dips
> and nibbles etc.
>
> Michael

I buy fresh backfin and dungeness crab for certain dishes. The Wakefield
frozen king crab I used to keep on hand in the freezer for a particular
appetizer "recipe" that I used to make. An 8 oz. block of cream cheese,
beaten and spread on a serving plate; Bennett's Chili Sauce mixed with
horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice, then the crabmeat
lightly stirred into the chili sauce mixture; the whole thing poured over
the cream cheese. Serve with Triscuits and water crackers.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 15 Feb 2005 04:11:03a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Tue 15 Feb 2005 02:10:35a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Wakefield is available frozen in St. Louis but I have never tried it.
>>> I use fresh crab when I need it for a good recipe and canned crab for
>>> dips and nibbles etc.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> I buy fresh backfin and dungeness crab for certain dishes. The
>> Wakefield frozen king crab I used to keep on hand in the freezer for a
>> particular appetizer "recipe" that I used to make. An 8 oz. block of
>> cream cheese, beaten and spread on a serving plate; Bennett's Chili
>> Sauce mixed with horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice,
>> then the crabmeat lightly stirred into the chili sauce mixture; the
>> whole thing poured over the cream cheese. Serve with Triscuits and
>> water crackers.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> I have made this before but I used cocktail sauce instead of the
> Bennett's. All of the other ingredients are the same except the crab. I
> used canned for this recipe and usually only take it to food days at
> work. For the cannibals at work I could have probably used fake crab and
> none of them would know the dif. We're talking about a group of people
> that think wienies in BBQ sauce kept in the crock pot is a gourmet meal.
>
> Michael

I've always used Bennett's (it used to be called "Bennett's Chili Sauce
Relish") because it has little bits of onion and red and green pepper in
it. Both the Wakefield's and the Bennett's were brands specified when a
friend gave me this "recipe" years ago. I can't find the Bennett's here in
Az, either, but there is another brand packaged in a little round jar
called Hommade(sic) Chili sauce that is made the same way.

I agree about the bunch at work. It amazes me at what people will eat!
For many of them, going to Blimpie at lunch is a real treat! :-)

When fake crab first began appearing in our supermakets back in Ohio, I was
curious enough to buy some. After the first bite, the rest landed in the
trash. I just can't get it down. I'm not being a snob, I just find it
revolting.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 15 Feb 2005 04:29:58a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Tue 15 Feb 2005 04:11:03a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
>>> :

>>> I have made this before but I used cocktail sauce instead of the
>>> Bennett's. All of the other ingredients are the same except the crab.
>>> I used canned for this recipe and usually only take it to food days
>>> at work. For the cannibals at work I could have probably used fake
>>> crab and none of them would know the dif. We're talking about a
>>> group of people that think wienies in BBQ sauce kept in the crock pot
>>> is a gourmet meal.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> I've always used Bennett's (it used to be called "Bennett's Chili
>> Sauce Relish") because it has little bits of onion and red and green
>> pepper in it. Both the Wakefield's and the Bennett's were brands
>> specified when a friend gave me this "recipe" years ago. I can't find
>> the Bennett's here in Az, either, but there is another brand packaged
>> in a little round jar called Hommade(sic) Chili sauce that is made the
>> same way.
>>
>> I agree about the bunch at work. It amazes me at what people will
>> eat! For many of them, going to Blimpie at lunch is a real treat! :-)
>>
>> When fake crab first began appearing in our supermakets back in Ohio,
>> I was curious enough to buy some. After the first bite, the rest
>> landed in the trash. I just can't get it down. I'm not being a snob,
>> I just find it revolting.
>>
>> Wayne

> I read the ingredients once. The only thing I remember is Whitefish. I
> would not have thrown it out, I would have tried it on a salad smothered
> in 1000 Island dressing ;(
>
> Michael

Ay! There's the rub. I don't like whitefish! Fact is, there are many
types of fish I don't much like.

Wayne

Ness

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> Does anyone know if frozen king crabmeat is available in AZ stores?
> I've looked for it many times at various supermarkets, but can't seem
> to locate it. I used to buy it regularly when we lived in NE Ohio. It
> was sold in 6 oz. packages, but I can't remember the brand.
>
> TIA
> Wayne

While I haven't actually looked, have you poked around an AJ's to see if
maybe they have it? It sounds like just the kind of specialty product that
damn store might carry. Though probably at a higher price than you were
used to paying.

Ness
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 03:20:47p, Ness wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> Does anyone know if frozen king crabmeat is available in AZ stores?
>> I've looked for it many times at various supermarkets, but can't seem
>> to locate it. I used to buy it regularly when we lived in NE Ohio. It
>> was sold in 6 oz. packages, but I can't remember the brand.
>>
>> TIA
>> Wayne

> While I haven't actually looked, have you poked around an AJ's to see if
> maybe they have it? It sounds like just the kind of specialty product
> that damn store might carry. Though probably at a higher price than
> you were used to paying.
>
> Ness

Actually, I can't remember if I checked at AJ's, but I think I have. I'll
make a point of looking the next time I'm there.

Thanks,
Wayne