Default Eyeball Kitchen Measures

I've gotta go on a "heart-healthy diet" ( bummer )

One of the constraints is; "Not more than 3000mg salt/day"

I've done the math;
3000mg = 3 grams
28 grams per oz....... ergo
1/9th of a teaspoon

And I still can't picture it.
????

<rj>
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 13 Feb 2005 04:02:45p, <RJ> wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I've gotta go on a "heart-healthy diet" ( bummer )
>
> One of the constraints is; "Not more than 3000mg salt/day"
>
> I've done the math;
> 3000mg = 3 grams
> 28 grams per oz....... ergo
> 1/9th of a teaspoon
>
> And I still can't picture it.
> ????
>
> <rj>

You need to re-think this. You cannot easily convert weight in grams into
teaspoons, since different ingredients have different weight per volume.
You can, however, rather easily convert volume measures into weight
measures. One teaspoon of salt weights .2 ounce or 5.669905 grams. 1/9 of
a teaspoon of salt weighs only 0.629989 of a gram. A half-teaspoon weights
2.8349525 grams, so you would be allowed slightly more than 1/2 teaspoon of
salt. Still, even 1/2 teaspoon is precious little salt. That's about as
close as I can get.

Don't forget that almost every prepared or canned food contains some amount
of salt and that content must be included in your daily allowance. Don't
forget about bottled beverages, as they often contain some amount of salt.

HTH
Wayne
Puester

<RJ> wrote:
> I've gotta go on a "heart-healthy diet" ( bummer )
>
> One of the constraints is; "Not more than 3000mg salt/day"
>
> I've done the math;
> 3000mg = 3 grams
> 28 grams per oz....... ergo
> 1/9th of a teaspoon
>
> And I still can't picture it.
> ????

I vaguely remember that it's actually a bit less than 1/2 tsp,
but remember that most processed foods contain a LOT of salt,
particularly canned soups, broths, and vegetables, breads,
most snack foods, etc.

gloria p
Arri London

"" wrote:

> I've gotta go on a "heart-healthy diet" ( bummer )
>
> One of the constraints is; "Not more than 3000mg salt/day"
>
> I've done the math;
> 3000mg = 3 grams
> 28 grams per oz....... ergo
> 1/9th of a teaspoon
>
> And I still can't picture it.
> ????
>
> <rj>

Don't try (and it's about a tenth of a tablespoon, not teaspoon).
Stay away from canned foods, frozen ready meals and cured meats; they
are loaded with salt.
Stay away from any soft drinks that contain sodium.

Here's a site that might help:
http://www.pamf.org/heartfailure/sod...odiumfood.html
Mike Pearce

"<RJ>" wrote in message ...

> I've gotta go on a "heart-healthy diet" ( bummer )
>
> One of the constraints is; "Not more than 3000mg salt/day"
>
> I've done the math;
> 3000mg = 3 grams
> 28 grams per oz....... ergo
> 1/9th of a teaspoon
>
> And I still can't picture it.
> ????

I weigh salt a few times a week when making bread and that doesn't sound
right. I just double checked and weighed a level teaspoon of table salt and
it was 6 grams. So, by my calculations 3 grams of table salt would be
approximately half a teaspoon. In case you are interested the Huckleberry
Hound spoon I usually use to scoop salt give me about 10 grams.

Anyway, half a teaspoon isn't much. You'll probably get that much salt daily
without adding any at all to your cooking.

-Mike

Damsel in dis Dress

"Mike Pearce" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

> In case you are interested the Huckleberry
>Hound spoon I usually use to scoop salt give me about 10 grams.

LOL!

Carol

Norm Soley

"<RJ>" > wrote in
:

> I've gotta go on a "heart-healthy diet" ( bummer )

Trust me on this one, the alternative is not a lot of fun.

> One of the constraints is; "Not more than 3000mg salt/day"

Really, it says "salt" not "sodium"?

Cause 3000mg of salt a day is actually pretty low. 3000mg of
elemental sodium on the other hand is a little on the high
side but not dangerously so. I work on about 2400mg per day
and do it most days.

> I've done the math;
> 3000mg = 3 grams
> 28 grams per oz....... ergo
> 1/9th of a teaspoon

One teaspoon of salt is 6g so 3000mg of salt is 1/2 teaspoon.
One teaspoon of salt has 2400mg of elemental sodium so 3000mg
of sodium is 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt.

On 13 Feb 2005 23:34:44 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>> I've done the math;
>> 3000mg = 3 grams
>> 28 grams per oz....... ergo
>> 1/9th of a teaspoon
>>
>> And I still can't picture it.
>> ????
>> <rj>

>You need to re-think this. You cannot easily convert weight in grams into
>teaspoons, since different ingredients have different weight per volume.
>You can, however, rather easily convert volume measures into weight
>measures. One teaspoon of salt weights .2 ounce or 5.669905 grams. 1/9 of
>a teaspoon of salt weighs only 0.629989 of a gram. A half-teaspoon weights
>2.8349525 grams, so you would be allowed slightly more than 1/2 teaspoon of
>salt. Still, even 1/2 teaspoon is precious little salt. That's about as
>close as I can get.
>HTH
>Wayne

Thanks for the explanation.
Obviously, my math was based on a few bad assumptions.

( no wonder I'm having probs with Cold Fusion ) ;o)

<rj>