FoodBanter.com

-   -   wanted: wonderful TNT chocolate pudding cake recipe (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/54138-wanted-wonderful-tnt-chocolate.html)

Jean B. 10-02-2005 11:02 PM

wanted: wonderful TNT chocolate pudding cake recipe

Hi All,

A friend on another group was opining that she could not find a
chocolate pudding cake mix anymore, and I said there were numerous
recipes for same. I HAVE lots of recipes, but then it occurred to
me that a tried-and-true one would be much nicer for her, and I
know some of you must have experimented with this. Thanks!
--
Jean B.

Damsel in dis Dress 10-02-2005 11:08 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:02:18 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>A friend on another group was opining that she could not find a
>chocolate pudding cake mix anymore, and I said there were numerous
>recipes for same.

Betty Crocker's and Pillsbury's cakes (virtually) all have pudding in the
mix, so you don't have to add your own packet. As far as I know, Duncan
Hines is the only way to get non-pudding cake mix. So, if she wants to
bake from a mix, suggest that she check again.

Carol Crocker

Dan Abel 10-02-2005 11:22 PM

In article >,
wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:02:18 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
> >A friend on another group was opining that she could not find a
> >chocolate pudding cake mix anymore, and I said there were numerous
> >recipes for same.

> Betty Crocker's and Pillsbury's cakes (virtually) all have pudding in the
> mix, so you don't have to add your own packet. As far as I know, Duncan
> Hines is the only way to get non-pudding cake mix. So, if she wants to
> bake from a mix, suggest that she check again.

My mom used to make pudding cake from a mix when we were kids, and I too
haven't seen it lately (although I'm a diabetic and shouldn't know about
such things anyway). It wasn't a cake with pudding mix in it. I don't
remember how you made it, but the result was a layer of pudding on the
bottom and cake on the top. We would spoon it into bowls still hot, add
cinnamon sugar and then condensed milk from a can.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dave Smith 10-02-2005 11:24 PM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> >A friend on another group was opining that she could not find a
> >chocolate pudding cake mix anymore, and I said there were numerous
> >recipes for same.

> Betty Crocker's and Pillsbury's cakes (virtually) all have pudding in the
> mix, so you don't have to add your own packet. As far as I know, Duncan
> Hines is the only way to get non-pudding cake mix. So, if she wants to
> bake from a mix, suggest that she check again.

I have tried some of those pudding cake mixes. I was not impressed.

Jean B. 10-02-2005 11:25 PM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:02:18 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
> >A friend on another group was opining that she could not find a
> >chocolate pudding cake mix anymore, and I said there were numerous
> >recipes for same.

> Betty Crocker's and Pillsbury's cakes (virtually) all have pudding in the
> mix, so you don't have to add your own packet. As far as I know, Duncan
> Hines is the only way to get non-pudding cake mix. So, if she wants to
> bake from a mix, suggest that she check again.
>
> Carol Crocker

She means the kind that forms a cake on top and a sauce/pudding on
the bottom. I forgot that was ambiguous.

--
Jean B.

Jean B. 10-02-2005 11:27 PM

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:02:18 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
> >
> > >A friend on another group was opining that she could not find a
> > >chocolate pudding cake mix anymore, and I said there were numerous
> > >recipes for same.

> > Betty Crocker's and Pillsbury's cakes (virtually) all have pudding in the
> > mix, so you don't have to add your own packet. As far as I know, Duncan
> > Hines is the only way to get non-pudding cake mix. So, if she wants to
> > bake from a mix, suggest that she check again.

> My mom used to make pudding cake from a mix when we were kids, and I too
> haven't seen it lately (although I'm a diabetic and shouldn't know about
> such things anyway). It wasn't a cake with pudding mix in it. I don't
> remember how you made it, but the result was a layer of pudding on the
> bottom and cake on the top. We would spoon it into bowls still hot, add
> cinnamon sugar and then condensed milk from a can.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Sonoma State University
> AIS

Yes, that type. I have LOTS of recipes but haven't tried any. I
would be tempted to try one/some now, but that would not be
conducive to weight loss!
--
Jean B.

Damsel in dis Dress 10-02-2005 11:40 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:24:55 -0500, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> Betty Crocker's and Pillsbury's cakes (virtually) all have pudding in the
>> mix, so you don't have to add your own packet. As far as I know, Duncan
>> Hines is the only way to get non-pudding cake mix. So, if she wants to
>> bake from a mix, suggest that she check again.

> I have tried some of those pudding cake mixes. I was not impressed.

Nor have I. I usually make Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake.

Carol

pavane 16-02-2005 09:58 PM

"Jean B." > wrote in message ...
> Hi All,
>
> A friend on another group was opining that she could not find a
> chocolate pudding cake mix anymore, and I said there were numerous
> recipes for same. I HAVE lots of recipes, but then it occurred to
> me that a tried-and-true one would be much nicer for her, and I
> know some of you must have experimented with this. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, but there are two basic variants:
The simpler one, which originated probably in the old
(not the newer) Fanny Farmer cookbooks, is on this
website, but use butter rather than margarine:
http://www.deliciousdecisions.org/cb/show_search.cfm?RecipeID1=135&Nutrition1='Desserts +and+Beverages'&st=1
The more complex variant is he
http://www.recipesource.com/desserts...4/rec1449.html
Both are called Denver Chocolate Pudding Cake, by the way.
The use of coffee rather than water makes a far more interesting
cake/pudding.

pavane

Jean B. 18-02-2005 10:43 PM

pavane wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message ...
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>A friend on another group was opining that she could not find a
>>chocolate pudding cake mix anymore, and I said there were numerous
>>recipes for same. I HAVE lots of recipes, but then it occurred to
>>me that a tried-and-true one would be much nicer for her, and I
>>know some of you must have experimented with this. Thanks!
>>

> Sorry for the delay, but there are two basic variants:
> The simpler one, which originated probably in the old
> (not the newer) Fanny Farmer cookbooks, is on this
> website, but use butter rather than margarine:
> http://www.deliciousdecisions.org/cb/show_search.cfm?RecipeID1=135&Nutrition1='Desserts +and+Beverages'&st=1
> The more complex variant is he
> http://www.recipesource.com/desserts...4/rec1449.html
> Both are called Denver Chocolate Pudding Cake, by the way.
> The use of coffee rather than water makes a far more interesting
> cake/pudding.
>
> pavane

Thanks! Have you tried either of these, or is that a general
comment?

--
Jean B.