Hahabogus

Default nuoc mam gung (ginger lime dipping sauce)

makes about 3/4 of a cup

1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2-3 thai bird chiles or 1 serrano chili, choped
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
3 tbsp water

put garlic,chilies.sugar and ginger in a mortar and pound into a paste.
Transfer to a small bowl and add fish sauce,lime juice and water. Stir
well to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes before serving.

Keeps several weeks in the fridge. But you lose the sharpness of the
ginger after overnight.

Good on seafood and grill chicken.

"Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table" Mai Pham

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
kilikini

Hahabogus wrote:
> makes about 3/4 of a cup
>
> 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
> 2-3 thai bird chiles or 1 serrano chili, choped
> 3 tbsp sugar
> 3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
> 1/4 cup fish sauce
> 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
> 3 tbsp water
>
> put garlic,chilies.sugar and ginger in a mortar and pound into a
> paste. Transfer to a small bowl and add fish sauce,lime juice and
> water. Stir well to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes before serving.
>
> Keeps several weeks in the fridge. But you lose the sharpness of the
> ginger after overnight.
>
> Good on seafood and grill chicken.
>
> "Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table" Mai Pham

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS?!?!?! This is just about the exact recipe I've been
looking for for a dipping sauce for shrimp wantons, egg rolls, spring rolls,
whatever! Oh, you are my HERO! yay!

If anyone else has something similar, but a different variation of this,
bring it on! Thanks, Mr. B.

kili

Hahabogus

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> Hahabogus wrote:
> > makes about 3/4 of a cup
> >
> > 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
> > 2-3 thai bird chiles or 1 serrano chili, choped
> > 3 tbsp sugar
> > 3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
> > 1/4 cup fish sauce
> > 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
> > 3 tbsp water
> >
> > put garlic,chilies.sugar and ginger in a mortar and pound into a
> > paste. Transfer to a small bowl and add fish sauce,lime juice and
> > water. Stir well to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes before
> > serving.
> >
> > Keeps several weeks in the fridge. But you lose the sharpness of
> > the ginger after overnight.
> >
> > Good on seafood and grill chicken.
> >
> > "Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table" Mai Pham

> WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS?!?!?! This is just about the exact recipe
> I've been looking for for a dipping sauce for shrimp wantons, egg
> rolls, spring rolls, whatever! Oh, you are my HERO! yay!
>
> If anyone else has something similar, but a different variation of
> this, bring it on! Thanks, Mr. B.
>
> kili

I said the book and author at the bootom...The bit about a table.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Ginny Sher

snip recipe

>If anyone else has something similar, but a different variation of this,
>bring it on! Thanks, Mr. B.
>
>kili

I made this dipping sauce last weekend for a dinner party. It was to
accompany a Thai BBQ chicken dish, both recipes coming from Cook's
Illustrated. Although the dipping sauce was great, the chicken turned
out to be only average and required a great deal of work to prepare
the rub. Here's the dipping sauce recipe:

1 tsp red pepper flakes
3 small garlic cloves, minced (1 1/2 tsp)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup juice from 2-3 limes (more like 5-6)
2 TBSP fish sauce
1/3 cup sugar

Whisk ingredients until sugar dissolves. Let stand 1 hour to meld
flavors. I strained the sauce after a few hours and then added some
cilantro as a garnish because some of my guests don't have a high heat
tolerance for spicy foods.

Ginny

Hag & Stenni

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:41:45 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Hahabogus wrote:
>> makes about 3/4 of a cup
>>
>> 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
>> 2-3 thai bird chiles or 1 serrano chili, choped
>> 3 tbsp sugar
>> 3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
>> 1/4 cup fish sauce
>> 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
>> 3 tbsp water
>>
>> put garlic,chilies.sugar and ginger in a mortar and pound into a
>> paste. Transfer to a small bowl and add fish sauce,lime juice and
>> water. Stir well to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes before serving.
>>
>> Keeps several weeks in the fridge. But you lose the sharpness of the
>> ginger after overnight.
>>
>> Good on seafood and grill chicken.
>>
>> "Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table" Mai Pham

>WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS?!?!?! This is just about the exact recipe I've been
>looking for for a dipping sauce for shrimp wantons, egg rolls, spring rolls,
>whatever! Oh, you are my HERO! yay!
>
>If anyone else has something similar, but a different variation of this,
>bring it on! Thanks, Mr. B.
>
>kili

Well heres one to try...Hag k

Fish Sauce- -- (Nuoc Cham)

1 sm red chile -- thinly sliced or 1/4 tsp dry red
pepper flakes
3 1/2 Tbsp white sugarx
1 Tbsp garlic -- minced
2 Tbsp carrots -- finely shredded
6 Tbsp lime juice -- fresh
4 Tbsp fish sauce -- (Nuoc Mam)

Combine all fish sauce ingrediants jar with a tight sealing lid (make
sure the lid seals well as this stuff is Stinky). Shake well to
combine. Chill.

Pull a Loraine Bobit (cut of Waynes Penis) to reply

Hahabogus

(Hag & Stenni) wrote in
:

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:41:45 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hahabogus wrote:
> >> makes about 3/4 of a cup
> >>
> >> 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
> >> 2-3 thai bird chiles or 1 serrano chili, choped
> >> 3 tbsp sugar
> >> 3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
> >> 1/4 cup fish sauce
> >> 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
> >> 3 tbsp water
> >>
> >> put garlic,chilies.sugar and ginger in a mortar and pound into a
> >> paste. Transfer to a small bowl and add fish sauce,lime juice and
> >> water. Stir well to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes before
> >> serving.
> >>
> >> Keeps several weeks in the fridge. But you lose the sharpness of
> >> the ginger after overnight.
> >>
> >> Good on seafood and grill chicken.
> >>
> >> "Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table" Mai Pham

> >WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS?!?!?! This is just about the exact recipe
> >I've been looking for for a dipping sauce for shrimp wantons, egg
> >rolls, spring rolls, whatever! Oh, you are my HERO! yay!
> >
> >If anyone else has something similar, but a different variation of
> >this, bring it on! Thanks, Mr. B.
> >
> >kili
> >

> Well heres one to try...Hag k
>
> Fish Sauce- -- (Nuoc Cham)
>
> 1 sm red chile -- thinly sliced or 1/4 tsp dry
> red
> pepper flakes
> 3 1/2 Tbsp white sugarx
> 1 Tbsp garlic -- minced
> 2 Tbsp carrots -- finely shredded
> 6 Tbsp lime juice -- fresh
> 4 Tbsp fish sauce -- (Nuoc Mam)
>
> Combine all fish sauce ingrediants jar with a tight sealing lid
> (make sure the lid seals well as this stuff is Stinky). Shake well
> to combine. Chill.
>

> Pull a Loraine Bobit (cut of Waynes Penis) to reply

Hi Hag;

I'd up the garlic quantities in this to 2 tbsps, but that's just me. And
add some minced shallot (equal amount to the garlic used).

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
BOB

kilikini wrote:
> Hahabogus wrote:
>> makes about 3/4 of a cup
>>
>> 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
>> 2-3 thai bird chiles or 1 serrano chili, choped
>> 3 tbsp sugar
>> 3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
>> 1/4 cup fish sauce
>> 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
>> 3 tbsp water
>>
>> put garlic,chilies.sugar and ginger in a mortar and
>> pound into a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and add
>> fish sauce,lime juice and water. Stir well to combine.
>> Set aside for 15 minutes before serving.
>>
>> Keeps several weeks in the fridge. But you lose the
>> sharpness of the ginger after overnight.
>>
>> Good on seafood and grill chicken.
>>
>> "Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table" Mai Pham

> WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS?!?!?! This is just about the
> exact recipe I've been looking for for a dipping sauce
> for shrimp wantons, egg rolls, spring rolls, whatever!
> Oh, you are my HERO! yay!
>
> If anyone else has something similar, but a different
> variation of this, bring it on! Thanks, Mr. B.
>
> kili

"2-3 thai bird chiles or 1 serrano chili, choped"

Are you *sure* this is what you've been looking for?
If yes, then I'm proud of you for widening your horizons. ;-)

Also, thanks to Haha for the recipe...I wasn't looking for it, but I bet
I'll use it.

BOB

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

kilikini wrote:

> WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS?!?!?! This is just about the exact recipe
> I've been looking for for a dipping sauce for shrimp wantons, egg
> rolls, spring rolls, whatever! Oh, you are my HERO! yay!
>
> If anyone else has something similar, but a different variation of
> this, bring it on! Thanks, Mr. B.
>
> kili

I like using just fish sauce, lime juice, and chopped garlic--none of the
other stuff. I use it primarily with meats--I especially like it with roast
beef :-). I don't know proportions--maybe 1/2 to 1 lime, juiced with 1/4
cup fish sauce, plus as much chopped garlic as you want. Let it sit for a
bit to let the flavours meld. Yum!

rona

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We
had people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the
energy to go back. We call them Canadians." ---Grover Norquist in
Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Becca

Thanks for the recipe.

Becca

Hahabogus wrote:
> makes about 3/4 of a cup
>
> 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
> 2-3 thai bird chiles or 1 serrano chili, choped
> 3 tbsp sugar
> 3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
> 1/4 cup fish sauce
> 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
> 3 tbsp water
>
> put garlic,chilies.sugar and ginger in a mortar and pound into a paste.
> Transfer to a small bowl and add fish sauce,lime juice and water. Stir
> well to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes before serving.
>
> Keeps several weeks in the fridge. But you lose the sharpness of the
> ginger after overnight.
>
> Good on seafood and grill chicken.
>
> "Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table" Mai Pham

TammyM

: Hahabogus wrote:
:> makes about 3/4 of a cup
:>
:> 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
:> 2-3 thai bird chiles or 1 serrano chili, choped
:> 3 tbsp sugar
:> 3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
:> 1/4 cup fish sauce
:> 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
:> 3 tbsp water
:>
:> put garlic,chilies.sugar and ginger in a mortar and pound into a
:> paste. Transfer to a small bowl and add fish sauce,lime juice and
:> water. Stir well to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes before serving.
:>
:> Keeps several weeks in the fridge. But you lose the sharpness of the
:> ginger after overnight.
:>
:> Good on seafood and grill chicken.
:>
:> "Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table" Mai Pham

Anecdotally, Mai Pham owns/operates a restaurant here in
Sacramento -- Lemongrass. It's very nice, good ambiance, excellent food,
attentive (but not too attentive) service.

Alan, out of interest, what is your overall impression of her cookbook?
Have you made many things from it?

TammyM
Sacramento, California

Hahabogus

TammyM > wrote in
:

> Alan, out of interest, what is your overall impression of her cookbook?
> Have you made many things from it?

It's more of a travelog, remembrance of things past, going back home
kinda book. Lots of talk about visiting Aunts etc...

I forgot I had the cookbook, just re-discovered it a while back (middle
of January). I've gone lo-carb. So I just read about actual food I'd
like to cook. I plan on (in the near future) attempting a variation on
one of the soup recipes.