Grismalkin

Default REC: Sticky Buns

Our neighbor came by to borrow some foil to make these. We got the results,
afterwards. Yum! I'm not sure that this is her recipe, but her husband is a
baker at a place that makes many fine breads. Her sticky buns didn't have
raisins in them. I think I would just use butter for this. I don't buy
margarine anymore. Don't give me grief over my neighbor's sticky buns, Sheldon!

Sticky Buns

INGREDIENTS:
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder 2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons margarine, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup chopped pecans
------DIRECTIONS:
Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add buttermilk, eggs, 2
1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup margarine, 1/2 cup white sugar, baking powder and salt.
Blend 30 seconds with mixer on low speed, scraping sides and bottom of bowl.
Beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in remaining 3 cups flour. Dough should
remain soft and slightly sticky. Knead for 5 minutes, or about 200 turns on a
lightly floured board. Form dough into a round and place it in an oiled bowl.
Cover it with a damp cloth and leave it in a warm place to rise until doubled.
Divide dough in half and roll each half into a 12x7 inch rectangle. Spread each
half with 1 tablespoon soft margarine, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup white sugar
and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Roll up halves, beginning at wide side. Seal well by
pinching the seams. Cut each roll into 12 slices. Coat two 9 inch round cake
pans with 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup chopped
pecans in each pan. Place 12 dough

bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for about 30 minutes.
Invert and serve.
Sheldon

Grismalkin wrote:
> Our neighbor came by to borrow some foil to make these. We got the

results,
> afterwards. Yum! I'm not sure that this is her recipe, but her

husband is a
> baker at a place that makes many fine breads. Her sticky buns didn't

have
> raisins in them. I think I would just use butter for this. I don't

buy
> margarine anymore. Don't give me grief over my neighbor's sticky

buns, Sheldon!

> Sticky Buns
>

> INGREDIENTS:
> 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
> 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
> 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
> 1/2 cup margarine, softened
> 1/2 cup white sugar
> 2 teaspoons baking powder 2 teaspoons salt
> 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
> 1/2 cup white sugar
> 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
> 1/2 cup melted butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
> 1/3 cup raisins
> 2/3 cup chopped pecans

> ------DIRECTIONS:
> Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add buttermilk,

eggs, 2
> 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup margarine, 1/2 cup white sugar, baking powder

and salt.
> Blend 30 seconds with mixer on low speed, scraping sides and bottom

of bowl.
> Beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in remaining 3 cups flour. Dough

should
> remain soft and slightly sticky. Knead for 5 minutes, or about 200

turns on a
> lightly floured board. Form dough into a round and place it in an

oiled bowl.
> Cover it with a damp cloth and leave it in a warm place to rise until

doubled.
> Divide dough in half and roll each half into a 12x7 inch rectangle.

Spread each
> half with 1 tablespoon soft margarine, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup

white sugar
> and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

Recipe looks fine, a typical sweet dough... hint: for easier sprinkling
first blend sugar with cinnamon. And that's not nearly enough
cinnamon, I'd use a geneerous Tbs. And nuts, needs nuts... you can
forego the raisins but not the nuts... pecans are good.

Roll up halves, beginning at wide side. Seal well by
> pinching the seams. Cut each roll into 12 slices. Coat two 9 inch

round cake
> pans with 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup

chopped
> pecans in each pan. Place 12 dough
>
> bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for about 30

minutes.
> Invert and serve.

Puester

Grismalkin wrote:
> Our neighbor came by to borrow some foil to make these. We got the results,
> afterwards. Yum! I'm not sure that this is her recipe, but her husband is a
> baker at a place that makes many fine breads. Her sticky buns didn't have
> raisins in them. I think I would just use butter for this. I don't buy
> margarine anymore. Don't give me grief over my neighbor's sticky buns, Sheldon!

recipe snipped

When I was fresh out of college and working in Back Bay, Boston at a
publishing house, Fridays (payday) we always went to the Red Coach
Grille for their baked, stuffed shrimp. The bread basket had a tasty
variety of breads including to-die-for pecan rolls. No raisins, just a
rich, buttery dough with a butter-cinnamon filling and topping and huge
toasty pecans. Of course the combination meant we were drowsy all
afternoon and productivity dipped, but they sure were wonderful.

gloria p
Edwin Pawlowski

"Sheldon" > wrote in message

> . And nuts, needs nuts... you can
> forego the raisins but not the nuts... pecans are good.

Please forgive Sheldon. I'm sure he meant to say forego the nuts and use
lots of raisins. Must have raisins.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 05 Feb 2005 03:11:00p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>
>> . And nuts, needs nuts... you can
>> forego the raisins but not the nuts... pecans are good.
>>

> Please forgive Sheldon. I'm sure he meant to say forego the nuts and use
> lots of raisins. Must have raisins.

This is one time when I agree with Sheldon. Must nuts in sticky buns and
pleanty of them! I could skip the raisins.

Wayne
Dave Smith

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> This is one time when I agree with Sheldon. Must nuts in sticky buns and
> pleanty of them! I could skip the raisins.

I can't eat nuts, so I am lucky that the little bakery I know that makes the
best sticky buns does not use nuts. A sticky but with nuts is a Chelsea bun.

Boron Elgar

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:38:48 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>A sticky but with nuts is a Chelsea bun.

I shall say no more.

Boron
Hahabogus

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> This is one time when I agree with Sheldon. Must nuts in sticky
> buns and pleanty of them! I could skip the raisins.
>
> Wayne

Nuts and dried cranberries (cherry flavoured crasins) is a good
compromise.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Dave Smith

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:38:48 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >A sticky but with nuts is a Chelsea bun.

> I shall say no more.

Damn those clumsy fingers .

A sticky BUN with nuts is a Chelsea bun.