Melba's Jammin'

Default Fried Rice

short, medium, or long grain?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Winter Carnival ice sculpture pics
added 1-30-05.
elaine

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> short, medium, or long grain?

I say long_____________

Dimitri

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> short, medium, or long grain?
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Winter Carnival ice sculpture pics
> added 1-30-05.
> "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
> say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
> performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

As the owner of my local Chinese joint said when I asked him what rice they
used, "Te-has wrong"

Translation : Texas Long.

;-)

Dimitri

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> short, medium, or long grain?

Whatever you have leftover (and slightly dried out) from yesterday.

Seriously,
Bob
aem

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > short, medium, or long grain?

> Whatever you have leftover (and slightly dried out) from yesterday.
>
> Seriously,
> Bob

I agree with Bottom Line Bob. Fried rice is all about leftovers, both
the rice and the additions. We eat long grain, jasmine and short grain
rice in a ratio probably of 6:3:1 and have later made fried rice from
all of them.

That said, you can make a fresh pot of rice, let it cool, fluff it up,
and put it in the 'fridge until it is cold and has at least begun to
dry out.

-aem

Nexis

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> short, medium, or long grain?
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Winter Carnival ice sculpture pics
> added 1-30-05.
> "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
> say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
> performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

Brown or long grain rice. Medium may work but it's starchier, and short is
too starchy.
I always made it with long grain until we tried a restaurant up in Escondido
called Pei Wei. They make it with brown rice and it is too good! So, now I
make it with brown because I like it and because it is alot easier on my BG
tests later on than white rice is.

kimberly

Katra

In article <lZkMd.1921$Yu.1745@fed1read01>, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > short, medium, or long grain?
> > --
> > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Winter Carnival ice sculpture pics
> > added 1-30-05.
> > "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
> > say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
> > performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

> Brown or long grain rice. Medium may work but it's starchier, and short is
> too starchy.
> I always made it with long grain until we tried a restaurant up in Escondido
> called Pei Wei. They make it with brown rice and it is too good! So, now I
> make it with brown because I like it and because it is alot easier on my BG
> tests later on than white rice is.
>
> kimberly

More fiber... :-)
Fiber (if I remember my nutrition correctly) slows the starch absorption
a bit so it should work better for BG levels. You also won't get as bad
of an insulin spike.

You are type I or type II? How is your A1C level?
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Nexis

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article <lZkMd.1921$Yu.1745@fed1read01>, "Nexis" >
> wrote:
>
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > > short, medium, or long grain?
> > > --
> > > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Winter Carnival ice sculpture pics
> > > added 1-30-05.
> > > "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
> > > say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
> > > performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

> > Brown or long grain rice. Medium may work but it's starchier, and short

is
> > too starchy.
> > I always made it with long grain until we tried a restaurant up in

Escondido
> > called Pei Wei. They make it with brown rice and it is too good! So, now

> > make it with brown because I like it and because it is alot easier on my

BG
> > tests later on than white rice is.
> >
> > kimberly
> >

> More fiber... :-)
> Fiber (if I remember my nutrition correctly) slows the starch absorption
> a bit so it should work better for BG levels. You also won't get as bad
> of an insulin spike.
>
> You are type I or type II? How is your A1C level?
> --
> K.

I'm type II, 3 yrs now I think. I am doing pretty good most of the time. My
A1C is far better than it was when I was diagnosed! I'm on a new medication,
but hd a few problems in recent months with too low BG levels. Like, 51, 50,
and one day, 43. They've adjusted the medications, and it's getting
better....was pretty scary for a few days though. One thing I'm noticing on
the new ones, if I'm not careful, my blood glucose will drop while I'm
eating. I've also noticed that there are fewer warning signs when it does
drop. It just kinda hits all at once, where before it was a gradual thing
and easier to catch before it got too bad.

kimberly