MaryL

Default Request low-carb recipes for diabetes

Can anyone suggest some good (but *easy*) recipes for beef, lamb, pork or
chicken stew or roasts? -- but the "catch" here is the recipe must not
include *any* potatoes, flour, rice, pasta, or sugar. I have diabetes, and
I have found that I can keep my blood glucose levels well under control if I
completely avoid those items. A single slice of whole wheat bread will send
my sugar spiking, so the only bread I eat is Ezekiel bread (a flourless
bread made from sprouted grains -- purchased at a health food store and must
be kept frozen or refrigerated). Obviously, I get sugar through the fresh
fruit I eat, but I do not *add* any at all. My diet is not nearly as
limiting as this sounds -- lots of fresh veggies, fruit, lean meat, eggs,
etc. plus nuts and low-fat cheese -- but I do not spend a lot of time in the
kitchen and would like some quick but tasty recipes.

I am new to this group, and I apologize if this question has previously been
asked and answered.

Thanks for the help.
MaryL

-L.

MaryL wrote:
> Can anyone suggest some good (but *easy*) recipes for beef, lamb,

pork or
> chicken stew or roasts? -- but the "catch" here is the recipe must

not
> include *any* potatoes, flour, rice, pasta, or sugar.

I would follow a regular recipe, omit the potatoes and add lots of
veggies - zuchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, peppers, carrots (if you
can), celery or celery root - just about anything will work in stew or
roasts. I often roast a chicken for about an hour, remove from the pan
to a plate, add a bunch of mixed veggies in the bottom of the pan, and
place the chicken back into the pan on top of the veggies. Roast for
an additional 30-45 minutes. I season all with garlic, onion powder,
and then a saltless spice mix - either one designed for chicken or a
Mrs. Dash brand. I roast the chicken with some stock or water in the
bottom of the pan - you may need to add more when you add the veggies.
I cover it with foil the last 15 minutes or so, sometimes, too.
Also check out the Sugar Busters diet book - lots of good info.

-L.

MaryL

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> MaryL wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest some good (but *easy*) recipes for beef, lamb,

> pork or
>> chicken stew or roasts? -- but the "catch" here is the recipe must

> not
>> include *any* potatoes, flour, rice, pasta, or sugar.

> I would follow a regular recipe, omit the potatoes and add lots of
> veggies - zuchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, peppers, carrots (if you
> can), celery or celery root - just about anything will work in stew or
> roasts. I often roast a chicken for about an hour, remove from the pan
> to a plate, add a bunch of mixed veggies in the bottom of the pan, and
> place the chicken back into the pan on top of the veggies. Roast for
> an additional 30-45 minutes. I season all with garlic, onion powder,
> and then a saltless spice mix - either one designed for chicken or a
> Mrs. Dash brand. I roast the chicken with some stock or water in the
> bottom of the pan - you may need to add more when you add the veggies.
> I cover it with foil the last 15 minutes or so, sometimes, too.
> Also check out the Sugar Busters diet book - lots of good info.
>
> -L.

Thanks. I like the suggestion for saltless spice mixes because I am also
tryint to limit salt intake. I'll look into the Sugar Busters book.

I do have a number of recipe books, but every recipe for stews and pot roast
seems to emphasize potatoes.

MaryL

Michael Odom

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:43:10 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>Can anyone suggest some good (but *easy*) recipes for beef, lamb, pork or
>chicken stew or roasts? -- but the "catch" here is the recipe must not
>include *any* potatoes, flour, rice, pasta, or sugar. I have diabetes, and
>I have found that I can keep my blood glucose levels well under control if I
>completely avoid those items. A single slice of whole wheat bread will send
>my sugar spiking, so the only bread I eat is Ezekiel bread (a flourless
>bread made from sprouted grains -- purchased at a health food store and must
>be kept frozen or refrigerated). Obviously, I get sugar through the fresh
>fruit I eat, but I do not *add* any at all. My diet is not nearly as
>limiting as this sounds -- lots of fresh veggies, fruit, lean meat, eggs,
>etc. plus nuts and low-fat cheese -- but I do not spend a lot of time in the
>kitchen and would like some quick but tasty recipes.
>
>I am new to this group, and I apologize if this question has previously been
>asked and answered.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>MaryL

You might look into the South Beach diet cookbook. I'm not expert in
such things, but it appears to be basically diabetic friendly. That's
what D says, anyhow, and her mom has been diabetic for 67 years.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Dimitri

> Can anyone suggest some good (but *easy*) recipes for beef, lamb, pork or
> chicken stew or roasts? -- but the "catch" here is the recipe must not
> include *any* potatoes, flour, rice, pasta, or sugar. I have diabetes,
> and I have found that I can keep my blood glucose levels well under
> control if I completely avoid those items. A single slice of whole wheat
> bread will send my sugar spiking, so the only bread I eat is Ezekiel bread
> (a flourless bread made from sprouted grains -- purchased at a health food
> store and must be kept frozen or refrigerated). Obviously, I get sugar
> through the fresh fruit I eat, but I do not *add* any at all. My diet is
> not nearly as limiting as this sounds -- lots of fresh veggies, fruit,
> lean meat, eggs, etc. plus nuts and low-fat cheese -- but I do not spend a
> lot of time in the kitchen and would like some quick but tasty recipes.
>
> I am new to this group, and I apologize if this question has previously
> been asked and answered.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> MaryL

Go he

http://atkins.com/food/index.html

Click on recipes.

It is a sensational source for low carb/no carb recipes

Dimitri

Katra

In article >,
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > MaryL wrote:
> >> Can anyone suggest some good (but *easy*) recipes for beef, lamb,

> > pork or
> >> chicken stew or roasts? -- but the "catch" here is the recipe must

> > not
> >> include *any* potatoes, flour, rice, pasta, or sugar.

> > I would follow a regular recipe, omit the potatoes and add lots of
> > veggies - zuchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, peppers, carrots (if you
> > can), celery or celery root - just about anything will work in stew or
> > roasts. I often roast a chicken for about an hour, remove from the pan
> > to a plate, add a bunch of mixed veggies in the bottom of the pan, and
> > place the chicken back into the pan on top of the veggies. Roast for
> > an additional 30-45 minutes. I season all with garlic, onion powder,
> > and then a saltless spice mix - either one designed for chicken or a
> > Mrs. Dash brand. I roast the chicken with some stock or water in the
> > bottom of the pan - you may need to add more when you add the veggies.
> > I cover it with foil the last 15 minutes or so, sometimes, too.
> > Also check out the Sugar Busters diet book - lots of good info.
> >
> > -L.
> >

> Thanks. I like the suggestion for saltless spice mixes because I am also
> tryint to limit salt intake. I'll look into the Sugar Busters book.
>
> I do have a number of recipe books, but every recipe for stews and pot roast
> seems to emphasize potatoes.
>
> MaryL

So just make the recipes and skip the 'taters! ;-)
That is what I do!

Add in more green veggies. Sliced cabbage is excellent in stews and
potroast as a filler. So is chard and bok choy. Celery, small amounts of
carrot, green beans, mushrooms. Summer squash is also good if added
towards the end so it does not get all mushy. Onions are reasonably low
carb as well.

Avoiding starch and sugar has opened up a whole new world of cooking to
me and I've been exploring a LOT more types of green veggies than I ever
have before. The Oriental market is a wonderful place to shop!

Hard tofu can add a nice texture to stew and the Hard grade is low carb
to carb free. Just read the package labels.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Priscilla H. Ballou

MaryL wrote:

> I do have a number of recipe books, but every recipe for stews and pot roast
> seems to emphasize potatoes.

Just leave 'em out. You might want to check out newsgroup
alt.support.diet.low-carb as well. Many of the folks there are doing
low-carb to lose weight, but there are lots of us diabetics over there, too.

Priscilla
Katra

In article >,
"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:

> MaryL wrote:
> >
> > I do have a number of recipe books, but every recipe for stews and pot roast
> > seems to emphasize potatoes.

> Just leave 'em out. You might want to check out newsgroup
> alt.support.diet.low-carb as well. Many of the folks there are doing
> low-carb to lose weight, but there are lots of us diabetics over there, too.
>
> Priscilla

Agreed... It seems to be a very good list but I dropped it because it
just generated TOO many posts! :-P
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
MaryL

"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:43:10 -0600, "MaryL"
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone suggest some good (but *easy*) recipes for beef, lamb, pork or
>>chicken stew or roasts? -- but the "catch" here is the recipe must not
>>include *any* potatoes, flour, rice, pasta, or sugar. I have diabetes,
>>and
>>I have found that I can keep my blood glucose levels well under control if
>>completely avoid those items. A single slice of whole wheat bread will
>>send
>>my sugar spiking, so the only bread I eat is Ezekiel bread (a flourless
>>bread made from sprouted grains -- purchased at a health food store and
>>must
>>be kept frozen or refrigerated). Obviously, I get sugar through the fresh
>>fruit I eat, but I do not *add* any at all. My diet is not nearly as
>>limiting as this sounds -- lots of fresh veggies, fruit, lean meat, eggs,
>>etc. plus nuts and low-fat cheese -- but I do not spend a lot of time in
>>the
>>kitchen and would like some quick but tasty recipes.
>>
>>I am new to this group, and I apologize if this question has previously
>>been
>>asked and answered.
>>
>>Thanks for the help.
>>MaryL
>>

> You might look into the South Beach diet cookbook. I'm not expert in
> such things, but it appears to be basically diabetic friendly. That's
> what D says, anyhow, and her mom has been diabetic for 67 years.
>

> modom
>
> "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
> -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Yes, as a matter of fact I went on the South Beach diet soon after I was
diagnosed as diabetic (at the advice of some friends who have had diabetes
for some time). SB does not eliminate all potatoes, rice, pasta, and sugar
as I have done -- that was added in because of the diabetes -- but it
otherwise has worked very well for me. I have lost a considerable amount of
weight, my BG is under control, and I have better cholesterol and
triglycerides readings. I was just looking for some additional ideas of how
to add to basic roasts and stews (something to add to them, in addition to
eliminating the potatoes) -- and the responses on this group have given me
lots of ideas. Anyway, I strongly recommend SB to anyone with similar
problems. I have lost weight, and I have done it without ever being hungry
because that diet calls for so many fresh veggies.

MaryL

MaryL

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>> Can anyone suggest some good (but *easy*) recipes for beef, lamb, pork or
>> chicken stew or roasts? -- but the "catch" here is the recipe must not
>> include *any* potatoes, flour, rice, pasta, or sugar. I have diabetes,
>> and I have found that I can keep my blood glucose levels well under
>> control if I completely avoid those items. A single slice of whole wheat
>> bread will send my sugar spiking, so the only bread I eat is Ezekiel
>> bread (a flourless bread made from sprouted grains -- purchased at a
>> health food store and must be kept frozen or refrigerated). Obviously, I
>> get sugar through the fresh fruit I eat, but I do not *add* any at all.
>> My diet is not nearly as limiting as this sounds -- lots of fresh
>> veggies, fruit, lean meat, eggs, etc. plus nuts and low-fat cheese -- but
>> I do not spend a lot of time in the kitchen and would like some quick but
>> tasty recipes.
>>
>> I am new to this group, and I apologize if this question has previously
>> been asked and answered.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>> MaryL

> Go he
>
> http://atkins.com/food/index.html
>
> Click on recipes.
>
> It is a sensational source for low carb/no carb recipes
>
> Dimitri

Looks good! Atkins and South Beach (which I am using) have some
differences, but they are similar enough that I can make good use of those
recipes.

Thanks,
MaryL

Michael Odom

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:41:59 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:43:10 -0600, "MaryL"
>> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone suggest some good (but *easy*) recipes for beef, lamb, pork or
>>>chicken stew or roasts? -- but the "catch" here is the recipe must not
>>>include *any* potatoes, flour, rice, pasta, or sugar. I have diabetes,
>>>and
>>>I have found that I can keep my blood glucose levels well under control if
>>>completely avoid those items. A single slice of whole wheat bread will
>>>send
>>>my sugar spiking, so the only bread I eat is Ezekiel bread (a flourless
>>>bread made from sprouted grains -- purchased at a health food store and
>>>must
>>>be kept frozen or refrigerated). Obviously, I get sugar through the fresh
>>>fruit I eat, but I do not *add* any at all. My diet is not nearly as
>>>limiting as this sounds -- lots of fresh veggies, fruit, lean meat, eggs,
>>>etc. plus nuts and low-fat cheese -- but I do not spend a lot of time in
>>>the
>>>kitchen and would like some quick but tasty recipes.
>>>
>>>I am new to this group, and I apologize if this question has previously
>>>been
>>>asked and answered.
>>>
>>>Thanks for the help.
>>>MaryL
>>>

>> You might look into the South Beach diet cookbook. I'm not expert in
>> such things, but it appears to be basically diabetic friendly. That's
>> what D says, anyhow, and her mom has been diabetic for 67 years.

>Yes, as a matter of fact I went on the South Beach diet soon after I was
>diagnosed as diabetic (at the advice of some friends who have had diabetes
>for some time). SB does not eliminate all potatoes, rice, pasta, and sugar
>as I have done -- that was added in because of the diabetes -- but it
>otherwise has worked very well for me. I have lost a considerable amount of
>weight, my BG is under control, and I have better cholesterol and
>triglycerides readings. I was just looking for some additional ideas of how
>to add to basic roasts and stews (something to add to them, in addition to
>eliminating the potatoes) -- and the responses on this group have given me
>lots of ideas. Anyway, I strongly recommend SB to anyone with similar
>problems. I have lost weight, and I have done it without ever being hungry
>because that diet calls for so many fresh veggies.
>
>MaryL

I didn't read your original post closely enough, Mary. The whole
wheat (and brown rice and buckwheat noodles, etc.) option has worked
well for D, now I see it isn't right for you. It's my impression,
however, that SB does not allow any potatoes at all, nor any processed
starches or added sugars. At least that's how I've been cooking for D
these last 65 lbs. and more.

My basic attitude is to add tons of flavor to make up for the reduced
carbohydrates and eliminated fats. Tonight, for example, I marinated
pork chops in minced garlic, curry powder, lemon juice, a touch of
lime pickle, orange pulp, black pepper, turmeric, and olive oil. I
sweated some mushroom slices with curry powder, cumin seed, and S&P in
olive oil and added more lemon juice, lime pickle, and homemade
chicken stock to make a sauce. Then I seared the chops in a steel
skillet before adding the mushroom sauce and the remaining marinade.
I put the whole thing in the oven to finish at 375F. When it was done
(about 17 minutes later), I put the skillet on a burner, got it
simmering and added about two big hands full of fresh spinach. When
the spinach was wilted, it was done.

It took about 45 minutes to cook the meal, including some roasted
cauliflower and zucchini. It could have been less time, but I wasn't
very organized and spent too much time figuring out what I was going
to do while I was doing it. This is no trouble for me since I love
cooking, but I can see how someone else wouldn't want it that way.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
MaryL

"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:41:59 -0600, "MaryL"
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>

> I didn't read your original post closely enough, Mary. The whole
> wheat (and brown rice and buckwheat noodles, etc.) option has worked
> well for D, now I see it isn't right for you. It's my impression,
> however, that SB does not allow any potatoes at all, nor any processed
> starches or added sugars. At least that's how I've been cooking for D
> these last 65 lbs. and more.
>

> modom
>
> "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
> -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Actually, SB does permit potatoes and certain other starches after the first
two weeks, but only in limited quantities. I have chosen to completely
eliminate them because of their effect on my BG (and I am doing very well).
This is the first "diet" I have ever been on that has worked well for me.
All others left me with cravings for sweets, hunger pangs, nervousness, etc.
I haven't had any of those problems with SB (using it since June 6, 2004).
Many diabetics can eat *all* foods and must simply restrict the quantities.
I have found that it is better for me to completely eliminate added sugar,
etc. because I always had such terrible cravings in the past, and I am now
very comfortable with this diet. If I am hungry, I do eat -- but I select
healthier foods, and I really do not feel deprived or resentful at giving up
desserts. I satisfy my sweet tooth by having plenty of fresh fruit,
sometimes with a little nonfat plain yogurt.

MaryL

Hahabogus

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in
:

> I satisfy my sweet tooth by having plenty of fresh fruit,
> sometimes with a little nonfat plain yogurt.

fruit except rhubarb ain't low carb. Allowed veggies: 1 tomato a day,
bell pepers,green/yellow beans, brocolli, cauliflower, spinach, most
lettuces, raddishes, cucumbers,bean sprouts, most nuts, some squashes
(spaghetti squash), eggs, mushrooms. The harder cheeses, sour cream, most
meats.

set yourdelf up with a allowed list, a restricted use list (carrots,
onions etc...) and a no-no list
(flour(pasta,bread,cake,pastry),rice,corn,potatoes , etc).

Use your BG meter to determine on what list goes what. Most type2
Diabetics have different carb settings...I seem to be ok at about 25-35
carbs per day. Keeps me in the low 5's mmol or high 90's mg/dl.
A BG reading over 7.8 mmol or 140mg/dl indicates permenent damage is
being done to your body so stay well away from that high. There are
several good diabetic newsgroups. Alt.support.diabetes, misc.health
diabetes.

If you have MasterCook Mad's Emphroium has a low carb cookbook.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
MaryL

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in
> :
>
>> I satisfy my sweet tooth by having plenty of fresh fruit,
>> sometimes with a little nonfat plain yogurt.
>>

> fruit except rhubarb ain't low carb. Allowed veggies: 1 tomato a day,
> bell pepers,green/yellow beans, brocolli, cauliflower, spinach, most
> lettuces, raddishes, cucumbers,bean sprouts, most nuts, some squashes
> (spaghetti squash), eggs, mushrooms. The harder cheeses, sour cream, most
> meats.
>
> set yourdelf up with a allowed list, a restricted use list (carrots,
> onions etc...) and a no-no list
> (flour(pasta,bread,cake,pastry),rice,corn,potatoes , etc).
>
> Use your BG meter to determine on what list goes what. Most type2
> Diabetics have different carb settings...I seem to be ok at about 25-35
> carbs per day. Keeps me in the low 5's mmol or high 90's mg/dl.
> A BG reading over 7.8 mmol or 140mg/dl indicates permenent damage is
> being done to your body so stay well away from that high. There are
> several good diabetic newsgroups. Alt.support.diabetes, misc.health
> diabetes.
>
> If you have MasterCook Mad's Emphroium has a low carb cookbook.
>

> --
> No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
> Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
> Continuing to be Manitoban

You are correct. Fruit has carbs. However, I have been following the basic
South Beach principles. That program emphasizes what they call "good
carbs," not "low carb." So, I really am not on a low carb diet, except that
I am getting far fewer carbs than I did in the past. I completely avoid
flour, pasta, rice, and sugar because they increase my BG levels (even whole
wheat bread). However, I seem to do fine with fruit. I don't eat huge
quantities, of course, but I will have fresh strawberries several times a
week, along with several other berries and occasionally an apple and even a
banana a couple times a week. I love fresh pineapple, but I do avoid that
because of the high sugar content. My BG was 289 when first diagnosed in
June 2004 but I now average 94. I do eat most of the items on your list
(lots of fresh veggies, low fat meat, low fat cheese, eggs, nuts in
moderation, etc.). My carbs are not *nearly* as low as what you list, but
so far I have been doing well on this regime. My only diabetes medication
is one 500mg Metformin ER per day. My doctor even suggested that I try
eliminating that now and watch my meter to see if there has been any effect.
However, I am concerned about doing that and have continued with the
Metformin -- I want to discuss this some more at our next meeting.

MaryL

Hahabogus

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in
:

> . My carbs are not *nearly* as low as what you list, but
> so far I have been doing well on this regime. My only diabetes
> medication is one 500mg Metformin ER per day. My doctor even
> suggested that I try eliminating that now and watch my meter to see
> if there has been any effect. However, I am concerned about doing
> that and have continued with the Metformin -- I want to discuss this
> some more at our next meeting.
>
> MaryL

Glycemic index dieting doesn't work for me. There only seems to be 1
type of carb for me, fast acting and Glucose rising. So I need to lower
total carb intake. I don't require any medication because my BG isn't
excessively high any more.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

Dan Abel

In article >, Hahabogus
> wrote:

> carbs per day. Keeps me in the low 5's mmol or high 90's mg/dl.
> A BG reading over 7.8 mmol or 140mg/dl indicates permenent damage is
> being done to your body so stay well away from that high. There are

Are you talking about fasting bg? I thought that 140 was on the edge of
acceptable. Mine was 143 last time I had blood drawn, and the doctor said
that that was OK. Of course, I also had an A1C of 6.1, so maybe that's
why. I took a look at the American Diabetes Association website, and they
are saying that under 100 is normal, over 126 is diabetes and in between
is pre-diabetes.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Priscilla H. Ballou

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >, Hahabogus
> > wrote:
>
> > carbs per day. Keeps me in the low 5's mmol or high 90's mg/dl.
> > A BG reading over 7.8 mmol or 140mg/dl indicates permenent damage is
> > being done to your body so stay well away from that high. There are

> Are you talking about fasting bg? I thought that 140 was on the edge of
> acceptable. Mine was 143 last time I had blood drawn, and the doctor said
> that that was OK. Of course, I also had an A1C of 6.1, so maybe that's
> why. I took a look at the American Diabetes Association website, and they
> are saying that under 100 is normal, over 126 is diabetes and in between
> is pre-diabetes.

Yes, those are the current ranges. A repeated fasting BG of over 125
confirms a diagnosis of diabetes. If your doctor said a fasting BG of
143 is "ok" then you need another doctor! And a second fasting BG test
to confirm the diagnosis.

Two years ago I got a fasting BG of 130. I immediately started
low-carbing, and in two weeks a repeat test was 103, which at the time
was below the bottom of the "prediabetes" range. (They've since dropped
that bottom from 110 to 100.) So my official diagosis is Metabolic
Syndrome, although my endocrinologist made clear to me that he was
putting that down purely for my insurance company, since I hadn't
technically qualified for the real diagnosis of diabetes. Privately, he
wanted to be sure I understood that he was confirming my understanding
that I had diabetes.

I recommend Gretchen Becker's book on the first year with type 2
diabetes. She's got a lot of useful information in there, and it's
written in a very panic-reducing way. ;-)

I think it's time for you to start learning. Sorry!

Priscilla
--
"Just because I don't throw a hissy fit and leave on account of the
'Jesus is my boyfriend' music doesn't mean I approve of it --- it just
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:11 -0600, Katra >
wrote:

>My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.

2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.

Carol

Thelma Lubkin

: wrote:

:>My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.

: 2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
: results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.

2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
*average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
and you'd be fighting for your life.
--thelma
MaryL

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >, Hahabogus
> > wrote:
>

>> carbs per day. Keeps me in the low 5's mmol or high 90's mg/dl.
>> A BG reading over 7.8 mmol or 140mg/dl indicates permenent damage is
>> being done to your body so stay well away from that high. There are

> Are you talking about fasting bg? I thought that 140 was on the edge of
> acceptable. Mine was 143 last time I had blood drawn, and the doctor said
> that that was OK. Of course, I also had an A1C of 6.1, so maybe that's
> why. I took a look at the American Diabetes Association website, and they
> are saying that under 100 is normal, over 126 is diabetes and in between
> is pre-diabetes.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Sonoma State University
> AIS

My doctor says that anything over 100 (fasting BG) is now considered to be
diabetes. Most authorities believe that damage is done when BG rises above
140. I suggest that you consult another doctor and have new tests.

MaryL

Damsel in dis Dress

On 4 Feb 2005 00:37:08 GMT, Thelma Lubkin >
wrote:

> 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
> *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
> and you'd be fighting for your life.

When I went to the ER last week for pneumonia, there was a woman who
sounded like she was dying. Then she got really quiet. The doctor talked
at length with the husband, explaining that his wife had likely just
suffered a stroke. She couldn't talk, etc.

Then the lab work came back. Her blood sugar was 30. They gave her
glucose, and she was a new woman! Kept her overnight for observation.

I know what 40 feels like, and I don't ever want to go there again.

Thanks for the clarification, Thelma.

Carol

Hahabogus

Katra > wrote in news:KatraMungBean-
:

> my A1C is 2.6.

Way too low! 3.9mmol is where a diabetic coma can start. That's where
you run outa glucose (required food for ALL your body/brain cells). No
food no live.

Something ain't right either Find a New lab or get a Better meter.

A A1C is the average per centage count of Blood Glucose over 120 days
about 7% higher than a random BG meter reading (which can be 10% plus
inaccurate). Home or personal BG meters aren't that accurate.

Important testing times a upon awakening in the morning before eating
anything (called fasting), just before any meal and 1 and 2 hours after a
meal (called 1PP and 2PP). The before meals gives you a starting
point. The 1PP and 2PP show/chart how your blood glucose are reacting to
the food you ate. Too high/too fast and you NEED to exercise to burn it
off. Too low/too fast and you need glucose (sugar). 7.8 mmol or 140 mg/dl
is where permenent damage is being done to your body, so avoid going over
that number. Try hard.

And below 3.9 mmol (70mg/dl) you'll feel like shit and be very weak. You
won't like it at all. Not at all pleasant.

Your 1PP and 2PP also can help you remove dangerous foods that spike your
BG levels from your diet. These dangerous foods vary from person to
person. Some have better resistance than others to carb overloads from
certain food types. Nobody reacts the same. You need to find your own
foods and your own carb limits.

I find rice (a favorite food) is now a thing of the past as it used to
spike me bad. Same with flour, white bread, potatoes and also corn
products. Tomatoes,Onions and carrots spike me but I just restrict my
consumtion of those as the spikes aren't as high and portion control
reduces the spike.

I suspect I'll be lower/better on my next A1C test as I'm getting high
in the 4's mmol readings all this month due to weight loss and light
exercise. To convert mmol (like 2.6) to mg/dl (like 90) multiply by
18.06.

'Normal' people rarely leave the 5's mmol (80-110 mg/dl).

Type 2 diabetes is 'THE' new killer plague, very few people who have it
know that they have it. IIRC it was discovered in the 50's. 10's of
Millions have it. It is estimated 1 in 10 people have type 2 diabetes.

I ain't a doctor but what I do works for me.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Katra

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:11 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>
> >My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.

> 2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
> results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.
>
> Carol

:-)

Remember, it usually takes around 2 months to change an A1C as that is
approx. how long your red blood cells live if I recall correctly?

I've been trying very hard to low carb now for about 3 years...
I'm pretty good most of the time. The worst thing I did last year was a
couple of pieces of apple pie over the holidays.

It bugs me that I'm still having problems with insulin resitance. :-P
Maybe if I can get the weight off, that will improve? <sigh>

Kat (who needs to get her tail back to the gym...)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Katra

In article >,
Thelma Lubkin > wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> : On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:11 -0600, Katra >
> : wrote:
>
> :>My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.
>
> : 2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
> : results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.
>
> 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
> *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
> and you'd be fighting for your life.
> --thelma

Maybe at your lab... :-)
I was just at the doctors today.
I re-checked the results with her.

2.6 is mid-range normal at this lab.

4.0 is borderline high.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Katra

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:11 -0600, Katra >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.

> > 2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
> > results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.
> >
> > Carol

Oops! My bad! Thelma was right...
I was talking to the doctor about my labs today as I said,
and it was my T4 that was 2.6! TSH was 10.3. We need to increase my
thyroid med. dose.

A1C was 4.6 <blush> Normal is 4.5 to 6.0. :-P

Apologies!!!!!!

Kat
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Katra

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> In article >,
> Thelma Lubkin > wrote:
>
> > Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> > : On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:11 -0600, Katra >
> > : wrote:
> >
> > :>My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.
> >
> > : 2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
> > : results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.
> >
> > 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
> > *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
> > and you'd be fighting for your life.
> > --thelma

> Maybe at your lab... :-)
> I was just at the doctors today.
> I re-checked the results with her.
>
> 2.6 is mid-range normal at this lab.
>
> 4.0 is borderline high.

EX. the above idiocy.
I was wrong...

I found the printouts she mailed to me and
they are now in my hands.

I'm an idiot, sorry! <cringe>
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Boron Elgar

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:51:31 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On 4 Feb 2005 00:37:08 GMT, Thelma Lubkin >
>wrote:
>
>> 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
>> *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
>> and you'd be fighting for your life.

>When I went to the ER last week for pneumonia, there was a woman who
>sounded like she was dying. Then she got really quiet. The doctor talked
>at length with the husband, explaining that his wife had likely just
>suffered a stroke. She couldn't talk, etc.
>
>Then the lab work came back. Her blood sugar was 30. They gave her
>glucose, and she was a new woman! Kept her overnight for observation.
>
>I know what 40 feels like, and I don't ever want to go there again.
>
>Thanks for the clarification, Thelma.
>
>Carol

I woke up in the middle of the night with 28 once. I was on prednisone
and I had serious crashes before on it, but this one was a doozy. I
woke The Hub (darling that he is about it all) and he knows exactly
what to do - pay no attention to what I say, make sure I get some
glucose tabs into me, along with juice or milk and help me keep
checking the BGs until they get above 50.

I amazed my MD with the story, until I was at her office a couple of
weeks later & told her she better get the blood work done fast, as I
was crashing. She did and it came back from the lab at 30 (I was still
on the prednisone)

(and yes, the meter is accurate)

Boron
Boron Elgar

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:24:56 GMT, Hahabogus >
wrote:

>And below 3.9 mmol (70mg/dl) you'll feel like shit and be very weak. You
>won't like it at all. Not at all pleasant.

When I am not ill or on weird meds for anything, my normal fasting is
between 65 and 85. I do not need a meter to tell me my sugar has
reached 125. I know from my pulse/racing heartbeat.

One thing about diabetics is that TWIAVBP and no two are alike.

The HbAc is usually 5.2-5.8. If I have had a streak of prednisone,
once in while it pops to 6.0. The prednisone cause higher highs and
lower lows.

I am obsessive about control, though.

Boron

Katra

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:51:31 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
> >On 4 Feb 2005 00:37:08 GMT, Thelma Lubkin >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
> >> *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
> >> and you'd be fighting for your life.

> >When I went to the ER last week for pneumonia, there was a woman who
> >sounded like she was dying. Then she got really quiet. The doctor talked
> >at length with the husband, explaining that his wife had likely just
> >suffered a stroke. She couldn't talk, etc.
> >
> >Then the lab work came back. Her blood sugar was 30. They gave her
> >glucose, and she was a new woman! Kept her overnight for observation.
> >
> >I know what 40 feels like, and I don't ever want to go there again.
> >
> >Thanks for the clarification, Thelma.
> >
> >Carol

> I woke up in the middle of the night with 28 once. I was on prednisone
> and I had serious crashes before on it, but this one was a doozy. I
> woke The Hub (darling that he is about it all) and he knows exactly
> what to do - pay no attention to what I say, make sure I get some
> glucose tabs into me, along with juice or milk and help me keep
> checking the BGs until they get above 50.
>
> I amazed my MD with the story, until I was at her office a couple of
> weeks later & told her she better get the blood work done fast, as I
> was crashing. She did and it came back from the lab at 30 (I was still
> on the prednisone)
>
> (and yes, the meter is accurate)
>
> Boron

We lost one of our directors a couple of years ago...
He had been a "brittle" diabetic for many years. He was 72 but was still
very active and otherwise healthy and he worked out at the local health
club regularly.

He was found face down in the jacuzzi at the health club one day,
drowned. They took him to the ER but were unable to save him.

His glucose came back 17 mg/dl. :-(

What a waste.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:38:39 -0600, Katra >
wrote:

>Oops! My bad! Thelma was right...
>I was talking to the doctor about my labs today as I said,
>and it was my T4 that was 2.6! TSH was 10.3. We need to increase my
>thyroid med. dose.
>
>A1C was 4.6 <blush> Normal is 4.5 to 6.0. :-P
>
>Apologies!!!!!!

No sweat. We're all learning from each other.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:39:58 -0600, Katra >
wrote:

>I'm an idiot, sorry! <cringe>

Stop That! I have spoken!

Damsel

Katra

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:38:39 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>
> >Oops! My bad! Thelma was right...
> >I was talking to the doctor about my labs today as I said,
> >and it was my T4 that was 2.6! TSH was 10.3. We need to increase my
> >thyroid med. dose.
> >
> >A1C was 4.6 <blush> Normal is 4.5 to 6.0. :-P
> >
> >Apologies!!!!!!

> No sweat. We're all learning from each other.
>
> Carol

With my T4 that low, it's a wonder I have any short term memory at all.
;-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:39:58 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm an idiot, sorry! <cringe>

> Stop That! I have spoken!
>
> Damsel

Sorry! :-)
I just hate making mistakes like this in public! <lol>
It's embarassing.......

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Thelma Lubkin > said:
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> : On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:11 -0600, Katra >
> : wrote:
>
> :>My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.
>
> : 2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
> : results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.
>
> 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
> *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
> and you'd be fighting for your life.

Oh good, because I was pretty proud of my 4.9 until I read that...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Katra > said:

<snip>

> I'm an idiot, sorry! <cringe>

No, you're a human bean, just like the rest of us... :-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF
Priscilla H. Ballou

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:39:58 -0600, Katra >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I'm an idiot, sorry! <cringe>

> > Stop That! I have spoken!
> >
> > Damsel

> Sorry! :-)
> I just hate making mistakes like this in public! <lol>
> It's embarassing.......

BTDT. Now, what *were* the real numbers?

Priscilla
--
"Just because I don't throw a hissy fit and leave on account of the
'Jesus is my boyfriend' music doesn't mean I approve of it --- it just
means I've learned to understand the difference between having a
different opinion from someone and having a different religion."
- Leslie Terrell in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Priscilla H. Ballou

Katra wrote:

> Remember, it usually takes around 2 months to change an A1C as that is
> approx. how long your red blood cells live if I recall correctly?

3 months, but the A1c is weighted towards the final month.

> I've been trying very hard to low carb now for about 3 years...
> I'm pretty good most of the time. The worst thing I did last year was a
> couple of pieces of apple pie over the holidays.
>
> It bugs me that I'm still having problems with insulin resitance. :-P
> Maybe if I can get the weight off, that will improve? <sigh>

Have you tried metformin? I'm finding it's helping me.

Priscilla
--
"Just because I don't throw a hissy fit and leave on account of the
'Jesus is my boyfriend' music doesn't mean I approve of it --- it just
means I've learned to understand the difference between having a
different opinion from someone and having a different religion."
- Leslie Terrell in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Good tha recipes for diabetes Heimo Asian Cooking 1 14-10-2006 09:46 PM
'Low-Carb' Labels Create Confusion for People with Diabetes Gumbo Diabetic 2 25-03-2005 02:18 PM
'Low-Carb' Labels Create Confusion for People with Diabetes Gumbo Diabetic 0 25-03-2005 01:38 PM
low carb recipes sf General Cooking 58 06-09-2004 08:52 PM
low carb recipes Jessica Church General Cooking 2 21-01-2004 11:08 PM