Michael Odom

Default Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares

Anybody besides me like this show on BBC America?

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Mad Dan

Michael Odom wrote:
> Anybody besides me like this show on BBC America?
>

> modom
>
> "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
> -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

I will admit up front that I've never seen it/him, but from what I've
heard, isn't he one of those types that seems to think "boorish
abusiveness" and "wit" are the same thing?
One of the reasons I have no inclination to tune in.

Michael Odom

On 1 Feb 2005 22:39:15 -0800, "Mad Dan" >
wrote:

>Michael Odom wrote:
>> Anybody besides me like this show on BBC America?

>I will admit up front that I've never seen it/him, but from what I've
>heard, isn't he one of those types that seems to think "boorish
>abusiveness" and "wit" are the same thing?
>One of the reasons I have no inclination to tune in.

That's not the impression I've gotten from the two episodes I've
watched. He's mean rather like a boot camp DI might be at times, but
it's in the face of (to take an example from the show I saw last
night) the likes of an incompetant restaurant chef who's just handed
him his signature dish only to find that the scallops he used were
spoiled.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
pennyaline

Michael Odom wrote:
> "Mad Dan" wrote:
> >
> >Michael Odom wrote:
> >> Anybody besides me like this show on BBC America?

> >I will admit up front that I've never seen it/him, but from what I've
> >heard, isn't he one of those types that seems to think "boorish
> >abusiveness" and "wit" are the same thing?
> >One of the reasons I have no inclination to tune in.

> That's not the impression I've gotten from the two episodes I've
> watched. He's mean rather like a boot camp DI might be at times, but
> it's in the face of (to take an example from the show I saw last
> night) the likes of an incompetant restaurant chef who's just handed
> him his signature dish only to find that the scallops he used were
> spoiled.

He's not boorishly abusive. No one gets anything they don't deserve and he
doesn't do it in the place of wit. It is, as Ramsay calls it, a good
********ing.

The spoiled scallops specialty dish was one example of how restaurants run
themselves out of business by catering to incompetency in the kitchen as
well as in management. It was both cringeingly embarassing and fully
satisfying to see the "head chef" of this week's restaurant try to reheat a
pre-cooked three course dinner in his own mother's kitchen. He failed, of
course. The food was either burned or raw... or both, and Ramsay's remark
about the lemon meringue pie was a howl! I like the show and wish they'd
made more episodes than the handful they did.

Most telling is at the end of each episode when Ramsay revisits the kitchens
he worked to revamp -- in this week's episode, they relapsed immediately
into the old habits that had run the restaurant into the ground.

<and aside from the putrid scallops, the state of the fridge and kitchen of
this week's show had to be seen to be believed>