fish

Default haloumi cheese recipe?

does anyone have a good recipe using haloumi cheese as one of the
ingredients?

archergirl

I've mostly seen haloumi cheese on a bagette, with ham etc..
Jane
www.embracingwomenshealth.com

Steve B.

Cheese and crackers

Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff
Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications
www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com

fish wrote:
> does anyone have a good recipe using haloumi cheese as one of the
> ingredients?

cockle_thing

Apparently, haloumi cheese is supposed to be good skewered (kebab on
stick) with pieces of chicken and peppers. I've never tried it myself-
but if anyone has, please let me know what it's like.

Stelios

On 1 Feb 2005 10:11:53 -0800, "fish" > wrote:

>does anyone have a good recipe using haloumi cheese as one of the
>ingredients?

Try the following links:

http://www.gourmed.gr/greek-recipes/...id=17&arid=755
http://www.gourmed.gr/recipes/cypria...id=19&arid=111

http://www.greek-recipe.com/static/greek-cheese/

Stelios

Julia Altshuler

cockle_thing wrote:
> Apparently, haloumi cheese is supposed to be good skewered (kebab on
> stick) with pieces of chicken and peppers. I've never tried it myself-
> but if anyone has, please let me know what it's like.

I'd never heard of haloumi cheese until we got it into the cheese shop
where I work last week. Now I'm seeing questions like yours. (That
phemonmenon always amazes me. You go from never seeing a word anywhere
to seeing it everywhere.) The customer who bought the cheese said that
it is especially good fried. Apparently it gets a crisp outside and a
soft inside. I haven't had the chance to try it, but it is supposed to
be the flavor of non-salty feta and the texture of good mozarella. The
next time we get an order in, I'm buying it and experimenting.

--Lia

Ranee Mueller

In article >, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> I'd never heard of haloumi cheese until we got it into the cheese shop
> where I work last week. Now I'm seeing questions like yours. (That
> phemonmenon always amazes me. You go from never seeing a word anywhere
> to seeing it everywhere.) The customer who bought the cheese said that
> it is especially good fried. Apparently it gets a crisp outside and a
> soft inside. I haven't had the chance to try it, but it is supposed to
> be the flavor of non-salty feta and the texture of good mozarella. The
> next time we get an order in, I'm buying it and experimenting.

Unless you have a non-Middle Eastern, healthy style low sodium
version, expect it to be salty. In a pleasant way, but salty. I like
it fried, and I add fat to it by pan frying it in olive oil. I then
eat it on pita bread for breakfast with kalamata olives, sliced
cucumbers and tomatoes.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Bob (this one)

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article >, Julia Altshuler
> > wrote:
>

>>I'd never heard of haloumi cheese until we got it into the cheese shop
>>where I work last week. Now I'm seeing questions like yours. (That
>>phemonmenon always amazes me. You go from never seeing a word anywhere
>>to seeing it everywhere.) The customer who bought the cheese said that
>>it is especially good fried. Apparently it gets a crisp outside and a
>>soft inside. I haven't had the chance to try it, but it is supposed to
>>be the flavor of non-salty feta and the texture of good mozarella. The
>>next time we get an order in, I'm buying it and experimenting.

> Unless you have a non-Middle Eastern, healthy style low sodium
> version, expect it to be salty. In a pleasant way, but salty. I like
> it fried, and I add fat to it by pan frying it in olive oil. I then
> eat it on pita bread for breakfast with kalamata olives, sliced
> cucumbers and tomatoes.

It's essentially identical to paneer (also spelled panir) or queso
blanco. They can all be sliced and fried to a browned (but not really
crisp unless you cook it a long time) exterior with a warm, soft but not
runny interior. They don't melt as other cheeses do.

Pastorio