Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 01:03:24p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> The only time I ever heard of Laura Scudder's peanut butter was in
>>> the film 'Meet Joe Black'. Don't think I've ever seen it in a store
>>> down here.
>>>
>>> I prefer Peter Pan crunchy... on toast
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Do you have Smucker's Peanut Butter in Memphis? It's the same as
>> Laura Scudder's.
>>
>> Wayne

> Probably, Wayne. I don't actually hunt for peanut butter. One thing I
> remember though, when my mom made chocolate chip cookies she'd add a
> couple of Tbs. of smooth peanut butter to the dough - now *that* was
> good! Try it, you'll like it! She used crunchy peanut butter in her
> PB cookies.

I like crunchy in PB cookies. Oddly, although I love both chocolate and
peanut butter, I can't stand them together. I'll have to try making CC
cookies like that for David, though, as he does like the combination.

> I make it sound like she's dead; she's not; she just doesn't make
> cookies anymore. She turned 79 last Sunday

LOL! She's earned a "rest"!

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 01:48:44p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 02:12:12 -0600, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2005-02-01, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>>
>>> Skippy Super Crunch. 'Cause that's just the way it is.

>>Yep! ....scrapped right out of the jar with a big ol' celery stick.

> What about the raisins? You forgot the raisins!

Ah, yes, "ants on a log"!

> Anyone remember the peanut butter with fake bacon in it?

No, erp! But I'm glad I didn't know about it. Fake bacon in any form
turns me off.

OTOH, a sandwich I love is made with toasted rye spread with crunchy PB,
laid with 3 strips of bacon, a thin slice of sweet onions and a lettuce
leaf. Assemble while toast is hot. Now, that would probably turn a lot of
people off! :-) A favorite hamburger joint I used to frequent in Ohio
served "peanut burgers", an excellent burger patty smeared with peanut
butter and any garnishes you prefer. Also one of my favorites.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 02:10:30p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> On 1 Feb 2005 18:29:10 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>On Tue 01 Feb 2005 12:17:46a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>>rec.food.cooking:

>>> Skippy Super Crunch. 'Cause that's just the way it is.

>>That used to be my favorite and I still like it. I switched to Laura
>>Scudder to reduce the sugar.

> I figure I eat about a tablespoon per month, so I'm not too concerned
> about the sugar content. But, damn, Skippy's Classic Peanut Butter
> Cookie recipe is the best in the world! That's where the carb problems
> come in.

If I only ate that much PB, then I wouldn't worry either. Yep, those
cookies will get you everyt time!

> And who's this Laura person? Is she trying to put the moves on my man?

Scudder and Crash? Naw, that doesn't sound right! :-) Besides, how could
someone named Scudder complete with the Damsel?

Wayne
limey

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?
>
> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy Albertson's
> store brand crunchy.
>
> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?
>
> Wayne

I use Jif crunchy. Why? Because that's the only brand Costco sells and I
buy it in two-jar quantities. I love it and so do the grandchildren.

I'm getting ready to make these and will wait for the grandkids to grab them
up.

Dora

Oatmeal/Banana/Peanut Butter Cookies

3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup vegetable oil spread with no transfat
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups uncooked oats

Heat the oven to 350ºF.
In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar and vegetable oil spread and beat
until creamy. (I think I'm going to use butter and to hell with it.)

Add the egg and vanilla, beat well. Add the bananas; beat well. Combine
the AP flour and whole-wheat flour and add to the sugar mixture along with
the pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. Add the uncooked oats. Mix
until blended.

Drop by heaping tablespoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets and
spread into 2-1/2 inch circles. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to wire rack
and cool completely.

Spread two teaspoons of peanut butter on the flat side of one cookie and
press a second cookie over the peanut butter.

Makes 24 sandwiches.

Source: Quaker Oats Company

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 02:28:07p, limey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
>> crunchy?
>>
>> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
>> Albertson's store brand crunchy.
>>
>> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?
>>
>> Wayne

> I use Jif crunchy. Why? Because that's the only brand Costco sells
> and I buy it in two-jar quantities. I love it and so do the
> grandchildren.

Makes sense to me!

> I'm getting ready to make these and will wait for the grandkids to grab
> them up.

These sound really good! I'll be keeping this one for my next cookie
baking session.

Wayne

> Dora
>
> Oatmeal/Banana/Peanut Butter Cookies
>
> 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
> 1/2 cup vegetable oil spread with no transfat
> 1 egg
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1-1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas
> 1 cup all-purpose flour
> 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
> 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
> 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 cups uncooked oats
>
> Heat the oven to 350ºF.
> In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar and vegetable oil spread and
> beat until creamy. (I think I'm going to use butter and to hell with
> it.)
>
> Add the egg and vanilla, beat well. Add the bananas; beat well.
> Combine the AP flour and whole-wheat flour and add to the sugar mixture
> along with the pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. Add the
> uncooked oats. Mix until blended.
>
> Drop by heaping tablespoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets
> and spread into 2-1/2 inch circles. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to
> wire rack and cool completely.
>
> Spread two teaspoons of peanut butter on the flat side of one cookie and
> press a second cookie over the peanut butter.
>
> Makes 24 sandwiches.
>
> Source: Quaker Oats Company

Damsel in dis Dress

On 1 Feb 2005 21:22:10 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Tue 01 Feb 2005 02:10:30p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>rec.food.cooking:
>
>> And who's this Laura person? Is she trying to put the moves on my man?

>Scudder and Crash? Naw, that doesn't sound right! :-) Besides, how could
>someone named Scudder complete with the Damsel?

I thought YOU were my man! ;-)

Damsel, crestfallen

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 02:33:50p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 1 Feb 2005 21:22:10 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>On Tue 01 Feb 2005 02:10:30p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>>rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> And who's this Laura person? Is she trying to put the moves on my man?

>>Scudder and Crash? Naw, that doesn't sound right! :-) Besides, how could
>>someone named Scudder complete with the Damsel?

> I thought YOU were my man! ;-)
>
> Damsel, crestfallen

Bu bu bu but, a Damsel needs more than one!

Wayne, #2
Damsel in dis Dress

On 1 Feb 2005 21:36:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Tue 01 Feb 2005 02:33:50p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I thought YOU were my man! ;-)
>>
>> Damsel, crestfallen

>Bu bu bu but, a Damsel needs more than one!
>
>Wayne, #2

Naw, I'm a one-man trollop. Crash is closer, geographically, so I guess
I'll stick with him. For now.

Carol

notbob

On 2005-02-01, limey > wrote:

> I use Jif crunchy. Why? Because that's the only brand Costco sells and I
> buy it in two-jar quantities.

Evidently not.

I'm a Jif fan myself, but I've been eating Skippy Extra Crunch instead. Not
because I want to, but because Skippy doubles is all MY Costco carries. Go
figure.

nb
Dimitri

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 01 Feb 2005 12:57:31p, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?
>>>
>>> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
>>> Albertson's
>>> store brand crunchy.
>>>
>>> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?
>>>
>>> Wayne

>> Trader Joe's Crunchy
>>
>> Dimitri

> Hmmm... Didn't know TJ's made one. I'll have to give it a try.
>
> Wayne

They have several other nut butters - very acceptable quality and IIRC
there is little or no sugar added as with some of the other brands.

Dimitri

Wayne Boatwright

On 01 Feb 2005, you wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 1 Feb 2005 21:36:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>On Tue 01 Feb 2005 02:33:50p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>>rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> I thought YOU were my man! ;-)
>>>
>>> Damsel, crestfallen

>>Bu bu bu but, a Damsel needs more than one!
>>
>>Wayne, #2

> Naw, I'm a one-man trollop. Crash is closer, geographically, so I guess
> I'll stick with him. For now.
>
> Carol

My geographic loss. <sigh> :-(

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 03:03:12p, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> Trader Joe's Crunchy
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Hmmm... Didn't know TJ's made one. I'll have to give it a try.
>>
>> Wayne

> They have several other nut butters - very acceptable quality and IIRC
> there is little or no sugar added as with some of the other brands.
>
> Dimitri

Even more to pick. Thanks!

Wayne
kalanamak

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Is Adam's a local or regional brand? I've not seen it before.
>
> Wayne

Hmmmm. I swear I used it NYC, and now in Pugetopolis. Never looked for
it in the midwest. Maybe other's know. The "no stir" ckind has some
hydrogenated oil in it; the kind I use is just peanuts ground and some
salt. No sugar either.
blacksalt
Ross Reid

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

Snip

>I prefer the natural type, too, but I've enver seen Adam's in our stores
>here in central AZ.

I'm in Ontario, Canada and, the only place I've seen it is at Wally
World. I buy as little as possible at that store but, one has to do
what one has to do to procure good peanut butter.
I just checked the jar and nowhere on it does it say where it's made
but, it does say it's imported into Canada by Smuckers, Canada.
Perhaps it's Smuckers natural by another name?

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Ross Reid

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

Snip

>Anyone remember the peanut butter with fake bacon in it?
>
>Carol

Never heard of that combo but, I will admit that one of my favourite
PB and (you name it) sandwiches happens to be made with slightly crisp
side bacon.
PB and sharp cheddar are right up there too.
PB, lettuce and mayo.
PB and home made dill pickle slices.
I could go on and on but, I'm gonna go make a sammich!

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Ross Reid

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

Snip

>OTOH, a sandwich I love is made with toasted rye spread with crunchy PB,
>laid with 3 strips of bacon, a thin slice of sweet onions and a lettuce
>leaf. Assemble while toast is hot. Now, that would probably turn a lot of
>people off! :-) A favorite hamburger joint I used to frequent in Ohio
>served "peanut burgers", an excellent burger patty smeared with peanut
>butter and any garnishes you prefer. Also one of my favorites.

If I had to choose between a filet mignon and a rare burger I'd take
the burger every time. Now I've got another reason to barbecue in the
snow. A nice thick burger with PB and hot peppers!
Thanks, Wayne.

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 05:37:36p, Ross Reid wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> Snip
>
>>I prefer the natural type, too, but I've enver seen Adam's in our stores
>>here in central AZ.
>>

> I'm in Ontario, Canada and, the only place I've seen it is at Wally
> World. I buy as little as possible at that store but, one has to do
> what one has to do to procure good peanut butter.
> I just checked the jar and nowhere on it does it say where it's made
> but, it does say it's imported into Canada by Smuckers, Canada.
> Perhaps it's Smuckers natural by another name?
>
> Ross.
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

I suspect it's the same, as is Laura Scudder's. The Wally World here carries
Laura Scudder's. Other stores here carry Smucker's.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 05:37:39p, Ross Reid wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> Snip
>
>>OTOH, a sandwich I love is made with toasted rye spread with crunchy PB,
>>laid with 3 strips of bacon, a thin slice of sweet onions and a lettuce
>>leaf. Assemble while toast is hot. Now, that would probably turn a lot
>>of people off! :-) A favorite hamburger joint I used to frequent in
>>Ohio served "peanut burgers", an excellent burger patty smeared with
>>peanut butter and any garnishes you prefer. Also one of my favorites.
>>

> If I had to choose between a filet mignon and a rare burger I'd take
> the burger every time. Now I've got another reason to barbecue in the
> snow. A nice thick burger with PB and hot peppers!
> Thanks, Wayne.

Nine times out of ten I'd take the burger, too, but not quite so rare. Like
minded!

Cheers!
Wayne
limey

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-02-01, limey > wrote:
>>
>> I use Jif crunchy. Why? Because that's the only brand Costco sells and
>> buy it in two-jar quantities.

> Evidently not.
>
> I'm a Jif fan myself, but I've been eating Skippy Extra Crunch instead.
> Not
> because I want to, but because Skippy doubles is all MY Costco carries.
> Go
> figure.
>
> nb

OK - I'll correct it - that's all MY Costco carries. The warehouse club is
south of Baltimore, MD. Strange, with their buying power I would have
thought all their stores would have the same brands.

Dora

Blair P. Houghton

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>If you don't make your own, what's your brand?

I never eat the stuff.

Way too much fat (8 g/tbs) for the protein content (3.5 g/tbs).

I'd have to spread it on a skinless chicken breast to balance it out.

--Blair
"Okay, so I've lost only 70 lbs, and
can't possibly know what I'm doing."

Rick & Cyndi

"Ross Reid" > wrote in message
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
> Snip
>>
>>Anyone remember the peanut butter with fake bacon in it?
>>
>>Carol

> Never heard of that combo but, I will admit that one of my favourite
> PB and (you name it) sandwiches happens to be made with slightly crisp
> side bacon.
> PB and sharp cheddar are right up there too.
> PB, lettuce and mayo.
> PB and home made dill pickle slices.
> I could go on and on but, I'm gonna go make a sammich!
>
> Ross.
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

=============

My DH makes PB and brown sugar sandwiches. I'm sure the flavor is good but
I don't think I could handle the sugar 'crunch'... too much like chewing on
broken shards of glass... <shudder>

Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi

"Stark" > wrote in message
> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?
>>
>> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
>> Albertson's
>> store brand crunchy.
>>
>> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?
>>
>> Wayne

> I've probably eaten my weight, maybe a couple of times, in peanut
> butter, mostly as snacks on Ritz crackers, wid or widout a dollop of
> jelly, grape being the classic. Like Smuckers, but prefer Kroger store
> brand, both in Natural Crunchy. Many years ago I replaced all my
> hallucinogens with peanut butter, banana and jelly sandwiches on light
> toast. Don't get quite the same colors but the crash is much more
> comfortable.

===============

Yep. Kroger PB is some pretty good stuff. We bought it the most often when
we lived in Armpit, IL.

Cyndi

notbob

On 2005-02-02, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Get this, he got cuts in his mouth and down his throat. Hello, you didn't
> notice before you swallowed that you were chewing on glass?

Seriously, sounds kinda urban-legendish, don't it?

nb
Nancy Young

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-02-02, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> Get this, he got cuts in his mouth and down his throat. Hello, you
>> didn't
>> notice before you swallowed that you were chewing on glass?

> Seriously, sounds kinda urban-legendish, don't it?
>
> nb

(laugh!) bob, it was on the news yesterday, they arrested the kid
working at the place.

nancy

notbob

On 2005-02-02, Nancy Young > wrote:

> (laugh!) bob, it was on the news yesterday, they arrested the kid
> working at the place.

Then you're right. The cop was either braindead or isn't big on chewing his
food. I'd say the kid ain't to bright either. I'm sure the brothers in
blue are going to teach him the error of his ways.

nb

limey

"Ross Reid" wrote in message
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> Snip
>>
>>Anyone remember the peanut butter with fake bacon in it?
>>
>>Carol

> Never heard of that combo but, I will admit that one of my favourite
> PB and (you name it) sandwiches happens to be made with slightly crisp
> side bacon.
> PB and sharp cheddar are right up there too.
> PB, lettuce and mayo.
> PB and home made dill pickle slices.
> I could go on and on but, I'm gonna go make a sammich!
>
> Ross.

Peanut butter and banana!

Dora

Nancy Young

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-02-02, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> (laugh!) bob, it was on the news yesterday, they arrested the kid
>> working at the place.

> Then you're right. The cop was either braindead or isn't big on chewing
> his
> food. I'd say the kid ain't to bright either. I'm sure the brothers in
> blue are going to teach him the error of his ways.

I see you, wouldn't wanna be you! (laugh)

Umm ... it wasn't that long ago that it was on the news or maybe
even here? where something similar happened. Guy spit on the
burger and the cop only noticed because he went to pick off the
pickles. Man, I think cops should bring their own food from
home and skip the fast food drive throughs.

nancy

ScratchMonkey

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in news:Xns95EFD423DF5E0wbwattnet@
130.133.1.4:

> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

Skippy. Nothing else tastes right, probably because I grew up with it.
Creamy for sandwiches, crunchy for out of the jar (for the texture).

But ever since seeing the Good Eats episode on nuts, I've occasionally made
nut butter. I got one of those Fiji packages of "cheese" and salamis for
xmas and it included a box of mixed nuts. I liked the cashews and the
pecans but not the brazil nuts nor almonds, and the peanuts didn't inspire
me to pick them out. So I tossed them all in the blender with a pinch of
salt and a drizzle of olive oil and had that on toast.

I like to throw the toast open-face with nut butter back in the toaster
oven until the nut butter just starts to "pucker", giving it a nice roasted
nut flavor.

BTW, my diabetic sister just discovered sugar-free Jiff. Are there any
other brands that are sugar-free?
Kate Connally

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 01 Feb 2005 01:48:44p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:

> >>Yep! ....scrapped right out of the jar with a big ol' celery stick.

> > What about the raisins? You forgot the raisins!

> Ah, yes, "ants on a log"!
>
> > Anyone remember the peanut butter with fake bacon in it?

> No, erp! But I'm glad I didn't know about it. Fake bacon in any form
> turns me off.
>
> OTOH, a sandwich I love is made with toasted rye spread with crunchy PB,
> laid with 3 strips of bacon, a thin slice of sweet onions and a lettuce
> leaf. Assemble while toast is hot. Now, that would probably turn a lot of
> people off! :-) A favorite hamburger joint I used to frequent in Ohio
> served "peanut burgers", an excellent burger patty smeared with peanut
> butter and any garnishes you prefer. Also one of my favorites.

Those both sound delicious - long as it's smooth peanut butter.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”