PENMART01

Default I Got Yer Twelve Inches!

Yup, just when I thought Spring was around the corner and I could unhitch the
snow plow from my behemoth and attach the monster mower... been snowing like
crazy all day... twelve inches and more is forecast for NY's Capitol area. Got
some tomato soup to go with fried pork chops... gotta use up some of my frozen
tomatoes to make room for this years crop.

Farm Fresh Tomato Soup

4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
3 pounds fresh (preferably) or canned plum tomatoes, peeled and well chopped
Salt
Pinch of sugar, if the tomatoes aren't sweet enough
2 thin slices day-old Italian bread, crusts removed
4 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable stock
1/2 cup basil leaves, minced
2 Tablespoons minced parsley
2 Tablespoons minced fresh marjoram or oregano (can substitute 1/2 teaspoon of
either in dried form)
Garnish: 6 fresh basil leaves, cut in paper thin strips.
Saute onions, garlic, and celery in the oil over medium-low heat in a large
saucepan, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are golden (about 20
minutes). Add the tomatoes and salt. Cook on medium, partially covered, until
the tomatoes are softened--about 20 minutes. If you think it needs it, add a
pinch of sugar to balance acidity.

Tear the bread into pieces in a small bowl and pour in 1 cup of the hot broth.
Let it absorb and soften--then mash it with a wooden spoon and scrape into the
tomatoes. Pour in the rest of the stock and bring to a boil, stirring well to
completely dissolve the bread. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add the herbs and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Season to taste.

When ready to serve, ladle into soup bowls Garnish with shredded basil leaves
and pour 1/2 teaspoon olive oil over each serving.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Pennyaline

"PENMART01" wrote:
> Yup, just when I thought Spring was around the corner and I could unhitch

the
> snow plow from my behemoth and attach the monster mower... been snowing

like
> crazy all day... twelve inches and more is forecast for NY's Capitol area.

Well yeah, fella. Where you from? The natives know that winter isn't
reliably over before May, and that you can expect an ice storm right around
St. Patrick's Day.

Stay warm, pilgrim. The soup and chops sound GREAT!

Pennyaline

"PENMART01" wrote:
> Yup, just when I thought Spring was around the corner and I could unhitch

the
> snow plow from my behemoth and attach the monster mower... been snowing

like
> crazy all day... twelve inches and more is forecast for NY's Capitol area.

Well yeah, fella. Where you from? The natives know that winter isn't
reliably over before May, and that you can expect an ice storm right around
St. Patrick's Day.

Stay warm, pilgrim. The soup and chops sound GREAT!

Katra

In article >,
"Pennyaline" > wrote:

> "PENMART01" wrote:
> > Yup, just when I thought Spring was around the corner and I could unhitch

> the
> > snow plow from my behemoth and attach the monster mower... been snowing

> like
> > crazy all day... twelve inches and more is forecast for NY's Capitol area.

> Well yeah, fella. Where you from? The natives know that winter isn't
> reliably over before May, and that you can expect an ice storm right around
> St. Patrick's Day.
>
> Stay warm, pilgrim. The soup and chops sound GREAT!

Poor thang. ;-)
I start putting my garden in next week, and have already planted new
herbs. <G> The flowers are blooming, the mockingbirds have babies
already........

Love the South!

K.

--