FoodBanter.com

-   -   Onion seeds vs Nigella seeds (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/5264-onion-seeds-vs-nigella.html)

PenguiN 15-03-2004 11:26 PM

Onion seeds vs Nigella seeds

Hi,

In trying to learn indian cooking, I've seen recepies that take "onion
seeds" and recepies that take "nigella" seeds, and from reading
through old usenet posts and searching the web, I've gathered that
they're the same thing.

However, today I've come across a recepie that calls for both onion
seeds *and* nigella seeds. What could this mean? I'm guessing I could
just use the "onion seeds" I picked up at the indian grocery store for
both quantities, but I really like to know what the recepie writer was
*actually* going for. Is there another kind of spice other than
nigella seed which is sometimes called "onion seed"?

Thanks!
Ken

zxcvbob 15-03-2004 11:28 PM

PenguiN wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In trying to learn indian cooking, I've seen recepies that take "onion
> seeds" and recepies that take "nigella" seeds, and from reading
> through old usenet posts and searching the web, I've gathered that
> they're the same thing.
>
> However, today I've come across a recepie that calls for both onion
> seeds *and* nigella seeds. What could this mean? I'm guessing I could
> just use the "onion seeds" I picked up at the indian grocery store for
> both quantities, but I really like to know what the recepie writer was
> *actually* going for. Is there another kind of spice other than
> nigella seed which is sometimes called "onion seed"?

Yes; seeds of the onion plant. They look very much like nigella seeds.

-Bob

zxcvbob 15-03-2004 11:28 PM

David Hare-Scott 16-03-2004 12:10 AM

Onion seeds vs Nigella seeds

"PenguiN" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> In trying to learn indian cooking, I've seen recepies that take "onion
> seeds" and recepies that take "nigella" seeds, and from reading
> through old usenet posts and searching the web, I've gathered that
> they're the same thing.
>
> However, today I've come across a recepie that calls for both onion
> seeds *and* nigella seeds. What could this mean? I'm guessing I could
> just use the "onion seeds" I picked up at the indian grocery store for
> both quantities, but I really like to know what the recepie writer was
> *actually* going for. Is there another kind of spice other than
> nigella seed which is sometimes called "onion seed"?
>
> Thanks!
> Ken

I presume we are talking about little black, angular seeds (nigella sativa)
I know these as black cumin which is also quite confusing. Apparently there
are many names in different countries and as (as usual) the names can often
refer to other things. I am not aware of anything else that is also called
"onion seed", maybe the author actually meant the seeds of the onion or it
was a mistake.

David

David Hare-Scott 16-03-2004 12:10 AM

Onion seeds vs Nigella seeds

om...

Pennyaline 16-03-2004 02:46 AM

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
> I presume we are talking about little black, angular seeds (nigella

sativa)
> I know these as black cumin which is also quite confusing. Apparently

there
> are many names in different countries and as (as usual) the names can

often
> refer to other things. I am not aware of anything else that is also

called
> "onion seed", maybe the author actually meant the seeds of the onion or it
> was a mistake.

I say just gring her up and sprinkle her in as is. Her kids, too.

<but frankly, I can't stand her... she's another one of those "take two cups
of leftover lobster" people>

Pennyaline 16-03-2004 02:46 AM