Charles Gifford

Default Best Foods/Hellmans Mayonnaise

When I first heard reports here that BF/Hellmans had changed the recipe for
their mayonnaise I was incredulous. I didn't believe it. I was wrong. The
last few jars of BF mayonnaise I have purchased have been almost nasty. It
doesn't taste the same. By the time I get to the bottom of the jar, the
mayonnaise is almost liquid!

Since I was a child, Best Foods Mayonnaise was one thing that a person could
count on in this world to be stable and constant. I am now shaken to the
core!

I apologize to all who first spoke out about this outrage and whom I jeered
at the time. It was my favorite. I will try Duke's again to see if I still
like that mayonnaise. A curse upon the multi-national corpse-eration that
owns Best Foods/Hellmans!

Charlie

Curly Sue

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:36:44 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>When I first heard reports here that BF/Hellmans had changed the recipe for
>their mayonnaise I was incredulous. I didn't believe it. I was wrong. The
>last few jars of BF mayonnaise I have purchased have been almost nasty. It
>doesn't taste the same. By the time I get to the bottom of the jar, the
>mayonnaise is almost liquid!
>
>Since I was a child, Best Foods Mayonnaise was one thing that a person could
>count on in this world to be stable and constant. I am now shaken to the
>core!
>
>I apologize to all who first spoke out about this outrage and whom I jeered
>at the time. It was my favorite. I will try Duke's again to see if I still
>like that mayonnaise. A curse upon the multi-national corpse-eration that
>owns Best Foods/Hellmans!
>
>Charlie

Did you by chance get a jar made in Canada? One of my local stores
gets Canadian Hellman's every so often. I got it once and had to toss
it out. Now I'm very careful about looking for where it was made.

I compared the ingredients list and they were different. I called the
company and the rep was unaware of the difference. She gave me the
800 number for Canadian Hellman's but I never followed up.

Sue(tm)
Sam D.

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> When I first heard reports here that BF/Hellmans had changed the

recipe for
> their mayonnaise I was incredulous. I didn't believe it. I was

wrong. The
> last few jars of BF mayonnaise I have purchased have been almost

nasty. It
> doesn't taste the same. By the time I get to the bottom of the jar,

the
> mayonnaise is almost liquid!
>
> Since I was a child, Best Foods Mayonnaise was one thing that a

person could
> count on in this world to be stable and constant. I am now shaken to

the
> core!
>
> I apologize to all who first spoke out about this outrage and whom I

jeered
> at the time. It was my favorite. I will try Duke's again to see if I

still
> like that mayonnaise. A curse upon the multi-national corpse-eration

that
> owns Best Foods/Hellmans!

I wasn't aware of the change. I just finished off a qt. jar of BF mayo
but I didn't notice a difference. When did this take place?

I alternate between BF and Kraft mayo, depending on which is the
better deal at the time. I have found either brand to be OK with me.

ScratchMonkey

"Sam D." > wrote in news:10vgjofn1gu97c2
@corp.supernews.com:

> I wasn't aware of the change. I just finished off a qt. jar of BF mayo
> but I didn't notice a difference. When did this take place?

http://groups-
beta.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_frm/thread/4dc4f0ec8903dd4b/3
19050e3cc1c8d78?q=hellmans+best+foods&_done=%2Fgro ups%3Fq%
3Dhellmans+best+foods%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search &&d#319050e3cc1c8d78

I first noticed it in 2002 but apparently it started a couple years before
that.

> I alternate between BF and Kraft mayo, depending on which is the
> better deal at the time. I have found either brand to be OK with me.

The original Best Foods, before the Unilever acquisition, had vinegar high
on the ingredients list. Kraft was quite bland in comparison because it had
less acidity. My theory is that, with no one more acidic than BF, Unilever
could move towards a less acidic formulation and hope to capture some of
Kraft's market. Who would the BF junkies switch to?

The Mexican "Limon" variant of BF (with the orange lid) is much closer to
the original formula. I've also found it effective to stir in a little
white vinegar.
Daisy

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:36:44 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>When I first heard reports here that BF/Hellmans had changed the recipe for
>their mayonnaise I was incredulous. I didn't believe it. I was wrong. The
>last few jars of BF mayonnaise I have purchased have been almost nasty. It
>doesn't taste the same. By the time I get to the bottom of the jar, the
>mayonnaise is almost liquid!
>
>Since I was a child, Best Foods Mayonnaise was one thing that a person could
>count on in this world to be stable and constant. I am now shaken to the
>core!
>
>I apologize to all who first spoke out about this outrage and whom I jeered
>at the time. It was my favorite. I will try Duke's again to see if I still
>like that mayonnaise. A curse upon the multi-national corpse-eration that
>owns Best Foods/Hellmans!
>
>Charlie

Any store-bought mayonnaise is a very poor substitute for the genuine
home-made variety. Likewise vinagrette dressings.

Just make your own. The manufacturers put all sorts of awful things
in these products.

Daisy

Siobhan Perricone

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:52:47 +1300, Daisy > wrote:

>Just make your own. The manufacturers put all sorts of awful things
>in these products.

Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple (even with
Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It breaks easily, and is
nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as the stuff you get at the store.
So you can't whip up a large batch of it with confidence and let it sit
around in you fridge for when you need it. You have to make it every time
you need it. That's prohibitive to most people who have a lot to do in
their busy lives.

There's nothing wrong with finding ways to cut corners, and your feelings
about the taste of store bought mayo aren't necessarily universal, either.
I happen to like Hellman's mayo.

all. I'm up in Vermont.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Vox Humana

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:52:47 +1300, Daisy > wrote:
>
> >Just make your own. The manufacturers put all sorts of awful things
> >in these products.

> Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple (even with
> Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It breaks easily, and is
> nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as the stuff you get at the store.
> So you can't whip up a large batch of it with confidence and let it sit
> around in you fridge for when you need it. You have to make it every time
> you need it. That's prohibitive to most people who have a lot to do in
> their busy lives.

My experience differs. I find mayo very easy to make and very quick. I
just take a couple eggs from the frig and put them in the food processor. I
add a splash of vinegar, some salt and pepper, and maybe a little Dijon
mustard. I turn the machine on and start adding the oil. Within a minute,
I have an emulsion and another minute I have about a cup of mayo that is far
better than anything I have ever bought in the supermarket. The total cost
is about 15 cents. I have never had it break. I agree that it probably
shouldn't be kept for more that two weeks. I guess the decision rests on
how much and how often you use mayo. Of course, if you don't have a food
process or blender, then making it would be difficult.

Scott

In article >,
Siobhan Perricone > wrote:

> Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple (even with
> Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It breaks easily, and is
> nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as the stuff you get at the store.
> So you can't whip up a large batch of it with confidence and let it sit
> around in you fridge for when you need it. You have to make it every time
> you need it. That's prohibitive to most people who have a lot to do in
> their busy lives.

Come again? I've made it a bunch of times and always found it easy to
do. I've never had it break down, despite using a single batch for about
two weeks (starting with pasteurized eggs). I end up tossing it--not
because it breaks down or goes bad, but because I don't use mayo all
that often and I'm just being careful.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Sam D.

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Siobhan Perricone > wrote:
>
> > Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple (even

with
> > Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It breaks easily,

and is
> > nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as the stuff you get at the

store.
> > So you can't whip up a large batch of it with confidence and let

it sit
> > around in you fridge for when you need it. You have to make it

every time
> > you need it. That's prohibitive to most people who have a lot to

do in
> > their busy lives.

> Come again? I've made it a bunch of times and always found it easy

> do. I've never had it break down, despite using a single batch for

about
> two weeks (starting with pasteurized eggs). I end up tossing it--not
> because it breaks down or goes bad, but because I don't use mayo all
> that often and I'm just being careful.

I agree that mayo is easy and economical to make but also homemade
mayo has no where near the shelf life in the fridge as does the
commercial product. I'll make if I'm going to be using a quantity of
it right away but usually I depend on the BF or Kraft product.

Fifo

wrote:

> >Just make your own. The manufacturers put all sorts of awful things
> >in these products.

> Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple (even

with
> Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It breaks easily,

and is
> nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as the stuff you get at the

store.

If the mayo seperates it is very easy to repair it. Just seperate
another yolk in a clean bowl and add the sperated mayo one spoonfull at
a time stirring constantly. Stirr in circles and only in one direction.

As far as storage goes, I wouldn't store home-made mayo for more than
3-4 days and would definitely keep it in the fridge. Personally, I
think if you are using the mayo for sauces or salads, it's worth doing
it from scratch. Otherwise nothing wrong with the store variety.

Emil

Why ["starting with pasteurized eggs"] a waste of time and really not much
sense in today's world of food going from one end of the country to another
in 3 days at most.
I think that is being too careful.

--
Emil

"Sam D." > wrote in message

> "Scott" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Siobhan Perricone > wrote:
>>
>> > Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple (even

> with
>> > Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It breaks easily,

> and is
>> > nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as the stuff you get at the

> store.
>> > So you can't whip up a large batch of it with confidence and let

> it sit
>> > around in you fridge for when you need it. You have to make it

> every time
>> > you need it. That's prohibitive to most people who have a lot to

> do in
>> > their busy lives.

>> Come again? I've made it a bunch of times and always found it easy

>> do. I've never had it break down, despite using a single batch for

> about
>> two weeks (starting with pasteurized eggs). I end up tossing it--not
>> because it breaks down or goes bad, but because I don't use mayo all
>> that often and I'm just being careful.

> I agree that mayo is easy and economical to make but also homemade
> mayo has no where near the shelf life in the fridge as does the
> commercial product. I'll make if I'm going to be using a quantity of
> it right away but usually I depend on the BF or Kraft product.

Scott

In article >,
"Emil" > wrote:

> Why ["starting with pasteurized eggs"] a waste of time and really not much
> sense in today's world of food going from one end of the country to another
> in 3 days at most.
> I think that is being too careful.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. What's "not much sense in sense
in today's world of food going from one end of the country to another in
3 days at most?"

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Fifo

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> "Emil" > wrote:
>
> > Why ["starting with pasteurized eggs"] a waste of time and really

not much
> > sense in today's world of food going from one end of the country to

another
> > in 3 days at most.
> > I think that is being too careful.

> I'm not sure what you're talking about. What's "not much sense in

sense
> in today's world of food going from one end of the country to another

in
> 3 days at most?"

As you probably understood, Emil is arguing that there is no need for
the eggs to be pasteurized since the eggs sold in the supermarkets are
fresh. As you are probably implying, "fresh", does not mean that the
eggs will be free of salmonella. The following is a quote from the
Georgia Egg Commission which explains both the danger and how miniscule
it is:

"Salmonella enteritidis (S.e.) is the bacteria most commonly associated
with eggs. Scientists estimate that, on average, across the United
States, only 1 of every 20,000 might contain the bacteria, so the
likelihood that an egg might contain S.e. is extremely small (five
one-thousandths of one percent). At this rate, even if you're an
average consumer, you might encounter a contaminated egg once very 84
years!

And, if you keep your egg dish cold (40 degrees or lower) bacteria
growth will be retarded. If you keep the dish hot (140 degrees or
hotter), any bacteria present, will be killed."

It seems to me that there is no need to pasteurize the eggs BUT
everyone has their own risk tollerance. This is probably a good
opportunity for having the good old unpasteurized cheese discussion.

Siobhan Perricone

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:42:42 -0500, Scott >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Siobhan Perricone > wrote:
>
>> Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple (even with
>> Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It breaks easily, and is
>> nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as the stuff you get at the store.
>> So you can't whip up a large batch of it with confidence and let it sit
>> around in you fridge for when you need it. You have to make it every time
>> you need it. That's prohibitive to most people who have a lot to do in
>> their busy lives.

>Come again? I've made it a bunch of times and always found it easy to
>do. I've never had it break down, despite using a single batch for about
>two weeks (starting with pasteurized eggs). I end up tossing it--not
>because it breaks down or goes bad, but because I don't use mayo all
>that often and I'm just being careful.

Fair enough. I bow to the superior experience of others.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Vox Humana

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:42:42 -0500, Scott >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Siobhan Perricone > wrote:
> >
> >> Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple (even with
> >> Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It breaks easily, and

is
> >> nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as the stuff you get at the

store.
> >> So you can't whip up a large batch of it with confidence and let it sit
> >> around in you fridge for when you need it. You have to make it every

time
> >> you need it. That's prohibitive to most people who have a lot to do in
> >> their busy lives.

> >Come again? I've made it a bunch of times and always found it easy to
> >do. I've never had it break down, despite using a single batch for about
> >two weeks (starting with pasteurized eggs). I end up tossing it--not
> >because it breaks down or goes bad, but because I don't use mayo all
> >that often and I'm just being careful.

> Fair enough. I bow to the superior experience of others.

If you haven't tried it because it intimidated you, give it a try. I find
it magical when suddenly, eggs and oil turn into the most luscious mayo.
Before I started making my own, I really didn't care for mayo.

Curly Sue

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:49:29 GMT, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:52:47 +1300, Daisy > wrote:
>
>>Just make your own. The manufacturers put all sorts of awful things
>>in these products.

>Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple (even with
>Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It breaks easily, and is
>nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as the stuff you get at the store.
>So you can't whip up a large batch of it with confidence and let it sit
>around in you fridge for when you need it. You have to make it every time
>you need it. That's prohibitive to most people who have a lot to do in
>their busy lives.
>
>There's nothing wrong with finding ways to cut corners, and your feelings
>about the taste of store bought mayo aren't necessarily universal, either.
>I happen to like Hellman's mayo.

>all. I'm up in Vermont.

I am looking forward to the day when someone will make mayonnaise for
me that I like better than Hellman's, to prove that all of the
testimonials to homemade mayo are true. I haven't been able to do it.
I haven't had trouble making it: it looks quite nice, doesn't
separate, etc. etc. It just doesn't taste good. I've tried different
oils and other ingredients.

Hellman's rules.

Sue(tm)
Hahabogus

Siobhan Perricone > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:42:42 -0500, Scott
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Siobhan Perricone > wrote:
> >
> >> Mayo is one of those things that is hard to make, not simple
> >> (even with Alton's help in explaining the details on it . It
> >> breaks easily, and is nowhere near as stable or long-lasting as
> >> the stuff you get at the store. So you can't whip up a large
> >> batch of it with confidence and let it sit around in you fridge
> >> for when you need it. You have to make it every time you need it.
> >> That's prohibitive to most people who have a lot to do in their
> >> busy lives.

> >Come again? I've made it a bunch of times and always found it easy
> >to do. I've never had it break down, despite using a single batch
> >for about two weeks (starting with pasteurized eggs). I end up
> >tossing it--not because it breaks down or goes bad, but because I
> >don't use mayo all that often and I'm just being careful.

> Fair enough. I bow to the superior experience of others.

My Mayo Recipe

1 cup canola oil (can go with more oil here) or oil of choice.
1 large egg
juice from 1/2 lime or lemon (I prefer lime)
zest from citrus used
1 tbsp grainy mustard
1 tbsp minced garlic or more
Black pepper to taste.

Put everything in a container your immersion blender will work best with.
Insert stick blender, right to the bottom and turn it on. Slowly walk the
blender to the top 2 or 3 times...TADA...Mayo!. Time including finding
everthing and puting in container possibly 4-6 minutes or less. A green
herb added would enhance it's apperance (green flecks).

Let it sit in the fridge a hour or so to meld flavours before using.

makes about a pint give or take.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Margaret Suran

Curly Sue wrote:
..

> I am looking forward to the day when someone will make mayonnaise
> for me that I like better than Hellman's, to prove that all of the
> testimonials to homemade mayo are true. I haven't been able to do
> it. I haven't had trouble making it: it looks quite nice, doesn't
> separate, etc. etc. It just doesn't taste good. I've tried
> different oils and other ingredients.
>
> Hellman's rules.
>
> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Sue, home made mayonnaise tastes nothing like the "store boughten" one
we are used to now. The hardest part of making it is that you need at
least one more hand than you have, one to hold the bowl, one to drip
the oil and one to whisk. Otherwise, it it not at all difficult. If
you have someone to help, it is a cinch.

Here is something we used to do, to enhance the taste of Hellmann's
Mayonnaise. Into one cup of mayonnaise, we would whisk one raw egg
yolk and perhaps a drop or two of either garlic or onion and a tiny
bit of Virgin Olive Oil and pass it off as homemade. We stopped doing
it, when it became advisable to cook eggs thoroughly. You can try it
some day.

Mike Pearce

"Curly Sue" wrote in message ...

> I am looking forward to the day when someone will make mayonnaise for
> me that I like better than Hellman's, to prove that all of the
> testimonials to homemade mayo are true. I haven't been able to do it.
> I haven't had trouble making it: it looks quite nice, doesn't
> separate, etc. etc. It just doesn't taste good. I've tried different
> oils and other ingredients.
>
> Hellman's rules.

When I first made home-made mayo I didn't like it as much as store-bought
(Hellmann's). After using my home-made mayo for a few batches (cause I'm
stubborn and wanted to use home-made) I tried some Hellmann's and thought it
was flavorless. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

I find that a lot of mayo recipes have a fairly strong taste when compared
to store-bought. If you cut back a little on the citrus/vinegar and mustard
in a most mayo recipes they will have a taste closer to Hellmann's.

-Mike

Charles Gifford

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message

> Did you by chance get a jar made in Canada? One of my local stores
> gets Canadian Hellman's every so often. I got it once and had to toss
> it out. Now I'm very careful about looking for where it was made.
>
> I compared the ingredients list and they were different. I called the
> company and the rep was unaware of the difference. She gave me the
> 800 number for Canadian Hellman's but I never followed up.
>

> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

My current jar states that it is a product of U.S.A. I wish it were that
simple. <sigh> Thanks for the brief glimmer of hope Sue!

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Daisy" > wrote in message

> Any store-bought mayonnaise is a very poor substitute for the genuine
> home-made variety. Likewise vinagrette dressings.
>
> Just make your own. The manufacturers put all sorts of awful things
> in these products.
>
> Daisy

Thank you for your opinion. Unfortunately, I don't like homemade mayonnaise.
I have had it made by myself and have had other's mayonnaise. I prefer(ed)
Best Foods mayonnaise.

Charlie

Bob

Margaret wrote:

> Sue, home made mayonnaise tastes nothing like the "store boughten" one we
> are used to now. The hardest part of making it is that you need at least
> one more hand than you have, one to hold the bowl, one to drip the oil and
> one to whisk. Otherwise, it it not at all difficult. If you have someone
> to help, it is a cinch.
>
> Here is something we used to do, to enhance the taste of Hellmann's
> Mayonnaise. Into one cup of mayonnaise, we would whisk one raw egg yolk
> and perhaps a drop or two of either garlic or onion and a tiny bit of
> Virgin Olive Oil and pass it off as homemade. We stopped doing it, when
> it became advisable to cook eggs thoroughly. You can try it some day.

Bob

Margaret wrote about mayonnaise:

> The hardest part of making it is that you need at least one more hand than
> you have, one to hold the bowl, one to drip the oil and one to whisk.
> Otherwise, it it not at all difficult. If you have someone to help, it is
> a cinch.

Fold a dishtowel in half, dampen it, put it on the counter, and put the bowl
on the dishtowel. The bowl will remain stationary as you whisk.

Hmmm....I'm wondering if there would be a market for bowls with a
suction-cup base...

Bob

On 27-Jan-2005, Hahabogus > wrote:

> My Mayo Recipe

Or, if you love Hellman's and want to try to make your own, try The Secret
Chef's copycat Hellman's recipe
http://www.dotcom.ca/infomart/Secret%20Chef/htm/224.htm
1 egg (at room temp)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup canola oil
dash cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons vinegar
1. Measure out the first 4 ingredients into a blender. Then add about 1/4
cup of the oil to the blender. Turn the blender on low, and blend for a few
seconds to mix all ingredients together.
2. After a few seconds, turn the blender off. Pour in another 1/2 cup oil.
Scrape the sides of the blender if it looks necessary, and blend on low for
a few seconds again.
3. Stop the blender a second time. This time add the vinegar and the last
1/2 cup of oil. Scrape the sides and stir the mixture if necessary. Blend
again on a low speed until the mixture looks smooth. You may need to
occasionally stop and stir the mayo, or break it up. When it looks smooth,
and free of lumps. Blend it briefly on a high speed, for about 5 seconds.
4. Transfer the mayo into an air-tight container. Close tightly and store in
the fridge. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Scott

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> If you haven't tried it because it intimidated you, give it a try. I find
> it magical when suddenly, eggs and oil turn into the most luscious mayo.
> Before I started making my own, I really didn't care for mayo.

Taking a cue from Alton Brown, I made some with a little chile oil added
(2 to 3 tablespoons chile oil out of 2 cups total oil). Excellent
(depending on intended use, of course).

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Aida Lott

Sorry...disagree. You have to be retarded not to be able to add oil
slowly to an egg yolk and a bit of salt and lemon and keep whipping
until you get mayo. Especially if you have a food processor or hand
blender. It becomes even more of a no-brainer when your eggs and oil
are room temp. If you're scared of raw eggs...then..yeah...you have a
problem.

Dee Randall

"Sam D." > wrote in message

> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> When I first heard reports here that BF/Hellmans had changed the

> recipe for
>> their mayonnaise I was incredulous. I didn't believe it. I was

> wrong. The
>> last few jars of BF mayonnaise I have purchased have been almost

> nasty. It
>> doesn't taste the same. By the time I get to the bottom of the jar,

> the
>> mayonnaise is almost liquid!
>>
>> Since I was a child, Best Foods Mayonnaise was one thing that a

> person could
>> count on in this world to be stable and constant. I am now shaken to

> the
>> core!
>>
>> I apologize to all who first spoke out about this outrage and whom I

> jeered
>> at the time. It was my favorite. I will try Duke's again to see if I

> still
>> like that mayonnaise. A curse upon the multi-national corpse-eration

> that
>> owns Best Foods/Hellmans!

> I wasn't aware of the change. I just finished off a qt. jar of BF mayo
> but I didn't notice a difference. When did this take place?
>
> I alternate between BF and Kraft mayo, depending on which is the
> better deal at the time. I have found either brand to be OK with me.

I'm glad to hear about this -- I've thrown out the last 2 BF I've bought.
They even looked different when I bought them, like little bands of air
streaked around the jar. I thought perhaps that this was just caused by
shipping and unsettling the jars which caused it. I have two barely opened
jars in the refrigerator right now - I guess I wouldn't give up on BF -
perhaps now is the time. I'm desparate enough to start making my own mayo,
but as posted previously, the raw eggs just yuks me. I wish this wasn't in
my mind; I know it has to be good.
Dee

Bob (this one)

Sam D. wrote:

> I agree that mayo is easy and economical to make but also homemade
> mayo has no where near the shelf life in the fridge as does the
> commercial product. I'll make if I'm going to be using a quantity of
> it right away but usually I depend on the BF or Kraft product.

You're absolutely wrong. Mayo is bacteriostatic. Commercial mayo isn't
processed beyond making it and putting it in jars. It doesn't have to
be. It's stored for three days so it can kill any critters that may
have populated it. Then it's shipped to stores where it's displayed at
room temp. Because it's safe to do so.

Commercial mayo and homemade can both be stored at room temp before
sticking your knife into it and introducing germs. The only reason to
refrigerate it is to retard any bacterial or mold growth after you
introduce them in using it.

I make mayo and it sits in the fridge for weeks. No spoilage, no mold,
no off-taste.

Pastorio

Vox Humana

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Sam D. wrote:
>
> > I agree that mayo is easy and economical to make but also homemade
> > mayo has no where near the shelf life in the fridge as does the
> > commercial product. I'll make if I'm going to be using a quantity of
> > it right away but usually I depend on the BF or Kraft product.

> You're absolutely wrong. Mayo is bacteriostatic. Commercial mayo isn't
> processed beyond making it and putting it in jars. It doesn't have to
> be. It's stored for three days so it can kill any critters that may
> have populated it. Then it's shipped to stores where it's displayed at
> room temp. Because it's safe to do so.
>
> Commercial mayo and homemade can both be stored at room temp before
> sticking your knife into it and introducing germs. The only reason to
> refrigerate it is to retard any bacterial or mold growth after you
> introduce them in using it.
>
> I make mayo and it sits in the fridge for weeks. No spoilage, no mold,
> no off-taste.

That's great to know. I have been squeamish about keeping it very long. I
always though that commercial mayo was pasteurized.

Scott

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> You're absolutely wrong. Mayo is bacteriostatic. Commercial mayo isn't
> processed beyond making it and putting it in jars. It doesn't have to
> be. It's stored for three days so it can kill any critters that may
> have populated it. Then it's shipped to stores where it's displayed at
> room temp. Because it's safe to do so.

Along that line, I've heard that it's better to store the mayo at room
temperature for an hour after making it, rather than in the fridge,
because it better reduces the chance of bacterial growth.

OK, it was Alton Brown:

<http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season4/Mayo/MayonnaiseTranscript.htm>
towards the end of "SCENE 3: The Kitchen"

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Priscilla H. Ballou

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
> > You're absolutely wrong. Mayo is bacteriostatic. Commercial mayo isn't
> > processed beyond making it and putting it in jars. It doesn't have to
> > be. It's stored for three days so it can kill any critters that may
> > have populated it. Then it's shipped to stores where it's displayed at
> > room temp. Because it's safe to do so.

> Along that line, I've heard that it's better to store the mayo at room
> temperature for an hour after making it, rather than in the fridge,
> because it better reduces the chance of bacterial growth.
>
> OK, it was Alton Brown:
>
> <http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season4/Mayo/MayonnaiseTranscript.htm>
> towards the end of "SCENE 3: The Kitchen"

See, I've never understood this. I would expect putting things right in
the fridge would cool them off quicker and make them safer sooner. Any
danger, to my sluggish brain, would be to foods adjacent to the warmer
food in the fridge. But I've heard repeatedly to let foods cool on the
counter before putting them in the fridge -- for the sake of their own
safety. Tis a puzzlement.

Priscilla
Dr. Dog

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
> Scott wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
> >
> > > You're absolutely wrong. Mayo is bacteriostatic. Commercial mayo

isn't
> > > processed beyond making it and putting it in jars. It doesn't

have to
> > > be. It's stored for three days so it can kill any critters that

may
> > > have populated it. Then it's shipped to stores where it's

displayed at
> > > room temp. Because it's safe to do so.

> > Along that line, I've heard that it's better to store the mayo at

room
> > temperature for an hour after making it, rather than in the fridge,
> > because it better reduces the chance of bacterial growth.
> >
> > OK, it was Alton Brown:

<http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season4/Mayo/MayonnaiseTranscript.htm>
> > towards the end of "SCENE 3: The Kitchen"

> See, I've never understood this. I would expect putting things right

in
> the fridge would cool them off quicker and make them safer sooner.

Any
> danger, to my sluggish brain, would be to foods adjacent to the

warmer
> food in the fridge. But I've heard repeatedly to let foods cool on

the
> counter before putting them in the fridge -- for the sake of their

own
> safety. Tis a puzzlement.

I always thought the reason for that was so as not to warm up the rest
of the fridge contents. It's a bit like refrigerating before placing
things in a freezer--same principle.

Dog

The Ranger

Charles Gifford > wrote in message
ink.net...
==> BF changes mayo recipe -- YUCK! <==

"Charlie... Charlie... Join us, Charlie. Join us in the Miracle Whip
dream."

The "MW-lovin'" Ranger

Priscilla H. Ballou

"Dr. Dog" wrote:

> Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
> > See, I've never understood this. I would expect putting things right

> in
> > the fridge would cool them off quicker and make them safer sooner.

> Any
> > danger, to my sluggish brain, would be to foods adjacent to the

> warmer
> > food in the fridge. But I've heard repeatedly to let foods cool on

> the
> > counter before putting them in the fridge -- for the sake of their

> own
> > safety. Tis a puzzlement.

> I always thought the reason for that was so as not to warm up the rest
> of the fridge contents. It's a bit like refrigerating before placing
> things in a freezer--same principle.

Yes, that's what I meant about "foods adjacent to the warmer food in the fridge."

Priscilla
The Cook

"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>>
>> > You're absolutely wrong. Mayo is bacteriostatic. Commercial mayo isn't
>> > processed beyond making it and putting it in jars. It doesn't have to
>> > be. It's stored for three days so it can kill any critters that may
>> > have populated it. Then it's shipped to stores where it's displayed at
>> > room temp. Because it's safe to do so.

>> Along that line, I've heard that it's better to store the mayo at room
>> temperature for an hour after making it, rather than in the fridge,
>> because it better reduces the chance of bacterial growth.
>>
>> OK, it was Alton Brown:
>>
>> <http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season4/Mayo/MayonnaiseTranscript.htm>
>> towards the end of "SCENE 3: The Kitchen"

>See, I've never understood this. I would expect putting things right in
>the fridge would cool them off quicker and make them safer sooner. Any
>danger, to my sluggish brain, would be to foods adjacent to the warmer
>food in the fridge. But I've heard repeatedly to let foods cool on the
>counter before putting them in the fridge -- for the sake of their own
>safety. Tis a puzzlement.
>
>Priscilla

In the case of mayo, it is because the acid works on bacteria in the
yolks and is more effective at room temperature.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Dr. Dog

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
> "Dr. Dog" wrote:
> >
> > Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
> > > See, I've never understood this. I would expect putting things

right
> > in
> > > the fridge would cool them off quicker and make them safer

sooner.
> > Any
> > > danger, to my sluggish brain, would be to foods adjacent to the

> > warmer
> > > food in the fridge. But I've heard repeatedly to let foods cool

on
> > the
> > > counter before putting them in the fridge -- for the sake of

their
> > own
> > > safety. Tis a puzzlement.

> > I always thought the reason for that was so as not to warm up the

rest
> > of the fridge contents. It's a bit like refrigerating before

placing
> > things in a freezer--same principle.

> Yes, that's what I meant about "foods adjacent to the warmer food in

the fridge."
And I was agreeing with you. Sorry I wasn't at my clearest!

Dog

Priscilla H. Ballou

The Cook wrote:

> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:

> >See, I've never understood this. I would expect putting things right in
> >the fridge would cool them off quicker and make them safer sooner. Any
> >danger, to my sluggish brain, would be to foods adjacent to the warmer
> >food in the fridge. But I've heard repeatedly to let foods cool on the
> >counter before putting them in the fridge -- for the sake of their own
> >safety. Tis a puzzlement.

> In the case of mayo, it is because the acid works on bacteria in the
> yolks and is more effective at room temperature.

Ah! Useful information that I can (one hopes) remember. So the "low
ph" reference in someone else's post was "acidic." I can never remember
which is low and which high.

Priscilla, edified
Siobhan Perricone

On 27 Jan 2005 21:20:44 -0800, "Aida Lott" > wrote:

>Sorry...disagree. You have to be retarded not

Much love and kisses to you too, dearheart. I hope you feel better very
soon.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Dan Abel

In article >, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:

> On 27 Jan 2005 21:20:44 -0800, "Aida Lott" > wrote:
>
> >Sorry...disagree. You have to be retarded not

> Much love and kisses to you too, dearheart. I hope you feel better very
> soon.

Can I join your retarded club?

:-)

I've never made mayo, and don't plan to. Well, maybe I'll give it a try,
but I too don't have time for it.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Charles Gifford

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Charles Gifford > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> ==> BF changes mayo recipe -- YUCK! <==
>
> "Charlie... Charlie... Join us, Charlie. Join us in the Miracle Whip
> dream."
>
> The "MW-lovin'" Ranger

I will not come to the Dark Side! I don't like homemade, I don't like Kraft,
but MW is terrifying. I will drive across town and get some Dukes if our
local Southern products shop still has it. (I could use some good Crowder
peas too).

Charlie