Charles Gifford

Default O.T. Australian Television

Is there a law requiring that John Howard must appear in EVERY Australian
television drama/comedy program? I have nothing against him and he is an
excellent actor (although he seems to play the same type of character in
everything), but it seems that all the Australian television programs we get
here in Sandy Eggo seem to have him in them.

Though we probably don't get 'em fresh, I always enjoy them. For the last
few months I have been watching a program called "Sea Change". It is very
enjoyable compared with most of the U.S. programming. This program also has
John Howard playing John Howard. <smile>

Charlie

Bob

Rhonda wrote:

> Your statement threw me at first, till I remembered John Howard _the
> actor_ - it's also the name of our prime minister.

Well, my governor is named Arnold Schwarzenegger...

Bob

Puester

Charles Gifford wrote:

> These programs appear on our local Public Television station. We used to get
> a lot of British programs, but they have almost disappeared. We have had a
> bunch of BBC programs and some SKY, Yorkshire Television, Scottish
> Television, RTE (Irish) and Canadian programs, but the Australian programs
> are much more prominent now.
>
> Charlie

Interesting, we're still getting British shows on PBS, but different
ones. No more Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served, or the
one with Judith Dench whom I adore. I wonder if they priced themselves
out of the running?

Right now we're seeing Good Neighbors and May to December. I don't
recall any Australian series, but then our PBS station calls 10-11 PM
"The British Comedy Hour".

Have you ever seen the Canadian "Red Green Show"? It is on here most
Saturday nights at 10:30. Worth waiting up for. (OMG, I can remember
when Saturday night BEGAN at about that hour.)

gloria p
Rhonda Anderson

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
nk.net:

> "Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
> .5...
>
>> What other Aussie shows do you get? I'm intrigued!

> I wish I could remember names of things better. I really enjoyed the
> one about the Olympics a couple of years ago. It was excellent. I
> enjoyed that male N.Z. actor in the lead.

That one's not ringing any bells, but my memory's not always that great!

I think the last one was
> about a family that traded houses and moved from the city to a rural
> area.

OK, that would be Always Greener. Another show that critics liked, and
seemed to be doing well, but then was cancelled. Finished in 2003.

I suppose it figures that someone with the good taste to enjoy Vegemite
would like some Aussie TV shows <g>.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Rhonda Anderson

Michael O'Donnell > wrote in
t:

> In article Rhonda Anderson savoured the salmon then said
>> "Charles Gifford" <> wrote :
>> > "Rhonda Anderson" <> wrote ...

>> > I wish I could remember names of things better. I really enjoyed
>> > the one about the Olympics a couple of years ago. It was excellent.
>> > I enjoyed that male N.Z. actor in the lead.

>> That one's not ringing any bells, but my memory's not always that
>> great!

> "The Games"
> http://www.abc.net.au/thegames/about.htm
>
> John Clarke is very dry

Ah, of course. I remember now. I'm not sure if I saw a couple of
episodes, or only saw portions - I do recall it looked very amusing.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Charles Gifford

"Puester" > wrote in message

> Interesting, we're still getting British shows on PBS, but different
> ones. No more Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served, or the
> one with Judith Dench whom I adore. I wonder if they priced themselves
> out of the running?

Those are still all on here every saturday night along with a new one (for
us) "On The Up" which I watched once and didn't take to it.

> Right now we're seeing Good Neighbors and May to December.

Geeze! I haven't seen those in years! Both very good indeed!

> I don't
> recall any Australian series, but then our PBS station calls 10-11 PM
> "The British Comedy Hour".

Our "British Comedy Hour" is actually 2 hours between 7 and 9 pm.

> Have you ever seen the Canadian "Red Green Show"? It is on here most
> Saturday nights at 10:30. Worth waiting up for. (OMG, I can remember
> when Saturday night BEGAN at about that hour.)
>
> gloria p

Heh, heh! We haven't seen "Red Green Show". I'll watch for it. My Saturday
night bedtime is usually around 4:00 am.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
.5...
> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in
> nk.net:
>

> I think the last one was
> > about a family that traded houses and moved from the city to a rural
> > area.

> OK, that would be Always Greener. Another show that critics liked, and
> seemed to be doing well, but then was cancelled. Finished in 2003.

That's it! It was a very good program with well developed characters. Lots
of good actors down your way.

> I suppose it figures that someone with the good taste to enjoy Vegemite
> would like some Aussie TV shows <g>.
>
> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

You are right Rhonda! I just wish Aussie beer was easier to get without
going to a specialty store. Most of the good beers we can't get here even at
a specialty store. I'll have to make a trip over there someday -- I'd love
to do that. We did have a nice Australian Pub here. They had some excellent
beers and gave me my first taste of Australian traditional food. Some of
your fellow countrywo/men and Miche in N.Z. have helped me recreate some of
these. I have no fear of not finding something to eat if I visit! I actually
had Mar**t* before I tried Vegemite. No contest! Vegemite!

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Michael O'Donnell" > wrote in message
t...
> In article Rhonda Anderson savoured the salmon then said
> > "Charles Gifford" <> wrote :
> > > "Rhonda Anderson" <> wrote ...

> > > I wish I could remember names of things better. I really enjoyed the
> > > one about the Olympics a couple of years ago. It was excellent. I
> > > enjoyed that male N.Z. actor in the lead.

> > That one's not ringing any bells, but my memory's not always that great!

> "The Games"
> http://www.abc.net.au/thegames/about.htm
>
> John Clarke is very dry

That's the one! It was aired here in a timely manner so the whole experience
of "The Games" was very enjoyable! John Clarke is outstanding!

> I'd direct Charles to the NG "aus.tv" if he was interested ... but the
> group does attract a lot of trolls, smoke and mirrors, and a lot of
> bullshit not related to TV at all ... but if you're interested, take a
> lurk ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mick.

Thanks Mick! I'll take a look.

Charlie

Rhonda Anderson

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
k.net:

> You are right Rhonda! I just wish Aussie beer was easier to get
> without going to a specialty store. Most of the good beers we can't
> get here even at a specialty store. I'll have to make a trip over
> there someday -- I'd love to do that.

We would love to have you. Seriously, if you ever do manage to make it
over here,and you're going to be in Sydney, let me know. You probably
wouldn't want to travel out to where I live, but I could at least meet up
with you in the city.

We did have a nice Australian
> Pub here. They had some excellent beers and gave me my first taste of
> Australian traditional food. Some of your fellow countrywo/men and
> Miche in N.Z. have helped me recreate some of these.

What dishes did the pub serve - do you remember?

I have no fear of
> not finding something to eat if I visit!

There's such a wide variety of foods (lots of different cuisines)
available here, that anyone who couldn't find something to eat wouldn't
be trying!

I actually had Mar**t* before
> I tried Vegemite. No contest! Vegemite!

I've never actually tried Marmite. I'm a Vegemite kid, through and
through.BTW, are you still collecting rarebit recipes, Charlie?

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Charles Gifford

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
.5...
> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in
> k.net:
>

> > You are right Rhonda! I just wish Aussie beer was easier to get
> > without going to a specialty store. Most of the good beers we can't
> > get here even at a specialty store. I'll have to make a trip over
> > there someday -- I'd love to do that.

> We would love to have you. Seriously, if you ever do manage to make it
> over here,and you're going to be in Sydney, let me know. You probably
> wouldn't want to travel out to where I live, but I could at least meet up
> with you in the city.

It is unlikely that I will make the trip. I sure would like to though and
Sydney would be my first destination (cousins I've never met). I certainly
wouldn't miss meeting you Rhonda!

> We did have a nice Australian
> > Pub here. They had some excellent beers and gave me my first taste of
> > Australian traditional food. Some of your fellow countrywo/men and
> > Miche in N.Z. have helped me recreate some of these.

> What dishes did the pub serve - do you remember?

The usual things one would find in a British or Irish pub plus meat pies 'n
peas and a few other things I can't remember just now. The hamburgers were
of the U.S. type as far as I recall.

> I have no fear of
> > not finding something to eat if I visit!

> There's such a wide variety of foods (lots of different cuisines)
> available here, that anyone who couldn't find something to eat wouldn't
> be trying!

Isn't it Sydney that has a great China town? That would be good. I'm easy to
feed -- some pasta, cheese, bread, a hamburger now and then, and lots of
beer!

> I actually had Mar**t* before
> > I tried Vegemite. No contest! Vegemite!

> I've never actually tried Marmite. I'm a Vegemite kid, through and
> through.BTW, are you still collecting rarebit recipes, Charlie?

I am indeed collecting rabbit/rarebit/toasted cheese recipes! It is
difficult to find fresh recipes that are edible, different, and, something
that can be reasonably called a rabbit. Historical recipes are especially
difficult. The best variations have come from the use of local beer/spirits
and cheeses -- IMO.

Charlie

> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Bob

Michael wrote:

> From memory, it's all Coors & Bud from the local grocery store.

All the grocery stores in my area carry Sierra Nevada, and most of them
carry Pyramid. Henry Reinhardt beer is also available with only a tiny bit
more trouble. I'm happy with any of those.

Oh, and I can find Guinness easily, too.

Bob

Rhonda Anderson

Michael O'Donnell > wrote in
t:

> In article Charles Gifford savoured the salmon then said

>> The usual things one would find in a British or Irish pub plus meat
>> pies 'n peas

> See, that's funny. *I've* never had meat pie & peas. I eat my pies
> with sauce ( ketchup ). I think 'pea floaters' are predominantly a
> South Australian thing ( although I know Rhonda will tell me of
> Harry;s Cafe de Wheels ( I think I got that right ), which is a SYD
> institution too.

Yep, I think it is Harry's Cafe de Wheels. They serve pie floaters. I've
never been there, though. Don't spend very much time in Sydney city at
all (Westie, through and through <g>), and have rarely been there at
night. Maybe years ago when I was young and footloose - not that often,
though, too difficult to get home in the early hours.

I've certainly had pie and peas, though not mushy ones. When I was a kid,
we would sometimes have pie, mashed potatoes and peas for tea. It would
be one of those frozen family size meat pies. I have sauce on my pies too
(though I have them very rarely - too much fat!). Actually, my dad used
to ask if I would like a little pie with my sauce <g>. Then I would mix
the peas into the potato and mix some sauce in there too. Ooh, I think I
know what the next nostalgia meal will be!

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Rhonda Anderson

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
ink.net:

> It is unlikely that I will make the trip. I sure would like to though
> and Sydney would be my first destination (cousins I've never met).

Well, maybe I'll win the lottery and make it to Sandy Eggo (did I get
that right <g>)

> certainly wouldn't miss meeting you Rhonda!

Why, Charlie, you say the sweetest things :-)

> I am indeed collecting rabbit/rarebit/toasted cheese recipes! It is
> difficult to find fresh recipes that are edible, different, and,
> something that can be reasonably called a rabbit. Historical recipes
> are especially difficult. The best variations have come from the use
> of local beer/spirits and cheeses -- IMO.

OK, will keep you in mind if I find any new ones.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Amarantha

Michael O'Donnell > wrote in
t:

> See, that's funny. *I've* never had meat pie & peas. I eat my pies
> with sauce ( ketchup ). I think 'pea floaters' are predominantly a
> South Australian thing ( although I know Rhonda will tell me of
> Harry;s Cafe de Wheels ( I think I got that right ), which is a SYD
> institution too.

The Pie Stop in Bayswater (a suburb of Melbourne) does pie floaters. I've
had some very good pies there, with and without peas, and I know they've
won awards in the past, but the couple I recently had from their new
Melbourne Central branch were awful. I don't know if that means their
overall standard has gone downhill, or if they just send all the crap ones
to be eaten by shopping centre patrons, or if I just coincidentally had a
bad batch.

nil illegitimi carborundum
Charles Gifford

"Michael O'Donnell" > wrote in message
t...

> See, that's funny. *I've* never had meat pie & peas. I eat my pies
> with sauce ( ketchup ). I think 'pea floaters' are predominantly a
> South Australian thing ( although I know Rhonda will tell me of Harry;s
> Cafe de Wheels ( I think I got that right ), which is a SYD institution
> too.

The owners probably came from a pea-eating area. ;-)

> > and a few other things I can't remember just now. The hamburgers were
> > of the U.S. type as far as I recall.

> but with beetroot ! <grin >

They may have, I just don't remember it. I learned about the beetroot thing
here on r.f.c.

> > Isn't it Sydney that has a great China town?

> ahem - Melbourne too.
> I can account for both SYD & MELB's Chinatowns though, from personal
> eating eperiences !
>
> I like eating in Melbourne's Vietnamese communities best.

Oh, I'd like to visit Melbourne too! A friend of mine was a professor at the
university in Melbourne and had nothing but good to say about it. (I
probably have cousins there too).

> Please dont judge us on Foster's Export, Charlie ... and I won't mention
> the Bud <grin>

No one here considers Foster's to be either Australian (or drinkable for
that matter). The Foster's we get here is made in Canada. Even when we got
Aussie made Foster's it was crap. I used to be able to purchase Swan and a
couple of others. I don't remember getting any ale, just lagers. Sad. We can
get N.Z.'s Steinlager which is excellent. It may be just where I live, but I
don't see why. San Diego has long had close ties to Australia, Perth is a
sister city, and you would think someone would do some importing. Meanwhile,
I will stick with my Guinness and Boddingtons.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
. 5...
> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in
> ink.net:
>

> > It is unlikely that I will make the trip. I sure would like to though
> > and Sydney would be my first destination (cousins I've never met).

> Well, maybe I'll win the lottery and make it to Sandy Eggo (did I get
> that right <g>)

You got right! I hope you do hit the lottery! I'm sure I will make it to
Australia eventually. Any travel funds will take me to Ireland as always.
But eventually.........

> > I am indeed collecting rabbit/rarebit/toasted cheese recipes! It is
> > difficult to find fresh recipes that are edible, different, and,
> > something that can be reasonably called a rabbit. Historical recipes
> > are especially difficult. The best variations have come from the use
> > of local beer/spirits and cheeses -- IMO.

> OK, will keep you in mind if I find any new ones.

Thanks Rhonda. I've got one to send you too. Actually, you remind me that I
should have sent it a long time ago. <oops!>

Charlie

> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Charles Gifford

"Michael O'Donnell" > wrote in message
t...
> In article Charles Gifford savoured the salmon then said
> >
> > I just wish Aussie beer was easier to get without
> > going to a specialty store. Most of the good beers we can't get here

even at
> > a specialty store.

> Same with good American beer too though ..
> From memory, it's all Coors & Bud from the local grocery store.

Too bad! Bud is horrible and I never, ever drink it. Coors is not offensive,
but fairly tasteless. There are some regional beers that are quite good.
You'd be unlikely to get them.

> > I'll have to make a trip over there someday -- I'd love
> > to do that. We did have a nice Australian Pub here. They had some

excellent
> > beers and gave me my first taste of Australian traditional food.

> I'd be interested in hearing what that was, Charlie

I wish I could remember! I just don't remember things well these days. I do
remember that the beers were standard (read large brewers) Australian
brands.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Michael wrote:
>
> > From memory, it's all Coors & Bud from the local grocery store.

> All the grocery stores in my area carry Sierra Nevada, and most of them
> carry Pyramid. Henry Reinhardt beer is also available with only a tiny

bit
> more trouble. I'm happy with any of those.
>
> Oh, and I can find Guinness easily, too.
>
> Bob

Sierra Nevada's Porter is pretty good. Sierra Nevada also makes really good
mustard!

Charlie

Bob

Charlie wrote:

> No one here considers Foster's to be either Australian (or drinkable for
> that matter). The Foster's we get here is made in Canada. Even when we got
> Aussie made Foster's it was crap. I used to be able to purchase Swan and
> a couple of others. I don't remember getting any ale, just lagers. Sad. We
> can get N.Z.'s Steinlager which is excellent. It may be just where I live,
> but I don't see why. San Diego has long had close ties to Australia, Perth
> is a sister city, and you would think someone would do some importing.
> Meanwhile, I will stick with my Guinness and Boddingtons.

Hm. I distinctly remember getting Tooth Sheaf Stout while living in San
Diego.

Bob

Charles Gifford

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
. 5...
<snips>

> I've certainly had pie and peas, though not mushy ones.

I love real mushy peas! We don't have the right kind of peas to make it here
in the U.S. Every once in a while I will buy a couple of cans of mushy peas
at our British Grocer.

> When I was a kid,
> we would sometimes have pie, mashed potatoes and peas for tea. It would
> be one of those frozen family size meat pies. I have sauce on my pies too
> (though I have them very rarely - too much fat!). Actually, my dad used
> to ask if I would like a little pie with my sauce <g>. Then I would mix
> the peas into the potato and mix some sauce in there too. Ooh, I think I
> know what the next nostalgia meal will be!

OK! Make that bangers instead of meat pie and replace tomato sauce with
brown sauce and you have one of my favorite meals! I mix the potato, sauce
and peas too! I like to pile the mixture on top of a bit of banger and fork
it in!

Charlie

> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Charles Gifford

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Charlie wrote:
>
> > No one here considers Foster's to be either Australian (or drinkable for
> > that matter). The Foster's we get here is made in Canada. Even when we

got
> > Aussie made Foster's it was crap. I used to be able to purchase Swan

and
> > a couple of others. I don't remember getting any ale, just lagers. Sad.

We
> > can get N.Z.'s Steinlager which is excellent. It may be just where I

live,
> > but I don't see why. San Diego has long had close ties to Australia,

Perth
> > is a sister city, and you would think someone would do some importing.
> > Meanwhile, I will stick with my Guinness and Boddingtons.

> Hm. I distinctly remember getting Tooth Sheaf Stout while living in San
> Diego.
>
> Bob

Oh yeah! I forgot! Tooth had a variety of beers here at one time. Thanks for
the reminder!

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Michael O'Donnell" > wrote in message
t...

> Of it could have been this too: Karl Strauss Microbrewery ... but
> looking at their websites, I think the former is more familiar.
>
> I see Karl is from San Diego, Charlie. Any good ?

I know Karl Strauss. It has been a huge success here in San Diego. I don't
like their beers but they are doing extremely well. Karl used to be the
master brewer at Pabst which used to be a major national brewery. The first
time I visited Karl Strauss's place here in San Diego they were very new and
only had a couple of beers available. I took a taste and told my friend that
it tasted like Pabst. Only then did I find that he was the ex-brewer for
Pabst. Pabst is now a discount beer and has moved from Wisconsin to
Washington state. It is now much better tasting, but still American mass
marketed ****wasser. I have 2 cases of it --- did I mention that it is
cheap? <smile> At the moment I am drinking my 5th Boddingtons of the day -
very expensive! I am celebrating the last day of January - for the lack of a
better reason.

If you ever see Alaska beers - waste not a moment! Buy them! Same thing with
Moose Drool!

Charlie

Rhonda Anderson

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
ink.net:

> OK! Make that bangers instead of meat pie and replace tomato sauce
> with brown sauce and you have one of my favorite meals! I mix the
> potato, sauce and peas too! I like to pile the mixture on top of a bit
> of banger and fork it in!

Sausages, mashed potato and peas was another regular on the menu in my
childhood. Tomato sauce, though, not brown sauce. Again, lllllots of sauce
for me <g>. I think I need to go make some mashed potatoes and peas <g>.

You're making me hungry, Charlie!

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Victor Sack

Charles Gifford > wrote:

> If you ever see Alaska beers - waste not a moment! Buy them! Same thing with
> Moose Drool!

Moose Drool is a very interesting beer indeed - dark brown, with
definite chocolatey overtones. It is unlike any other beer I have ever
tasted. I'm grateful to Barb Schaller for a sample.

Bubba Vic
Miche

In article >,
Rhonda Anderson > wrote:

> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in
> nk.net:
>

> > "Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
> > .5...
> >
> >> What other Aussie shows do you get? I'm intrigued!

> > I wish I could remember names of things better. I really enjoyed the
> > one about the Olympics a couple of years ago. It was excellent. I
> > enjoyed that male N.Z. actor in the lead.

> That one's not ringing any bells, but my memory's not always that great!

It was just called "The Games", and had John Clarke in the lead. Bloody
brilliant.

Miche

--
WWMVD?

Charles Gifford

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Rhonda Anderson > wrote:
>
> > "Charles Gifford" > wrote in
> > nk.net:
> >

> > > "Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
> > > .5...

> > > I wish I could remember names of things better. I really enjoyed the
> > > one about the Olympics a couple of years ago. It was excellent. I
> > > enjoyed that male N.Z. actor in the lead.

> > That one's not ringing any bells, but my memory's not always that great!

> It was just called "The Games", and had John Clarke in the lead. Bloody
> brilliant.
>
> Miche
>
> --
> WWMVD?

It was indeed an excellent program. John Clarke was super!

Charlie