FoodBanter.com

-   -   Please Help: "Uncured" Corned Beef (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/5261-please-help-uncured-corned.html)

TheCatinTX 15-03-2004 11:44 PM

Please Help: "Uncured" Corned Beef

I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned beef) from
Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't notice the package
says: "uncured".

Does that mean it's not going to tasted like Corned Beef? Is there something I
could do to it before I cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same as
putting it in brine for a day or so?

If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance. CatinTX

zxcvbob 15-03-2004 11:47 PM

TheCatinTX wrote:
> I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned beef) from
> Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't notice the package
> says: "uncured".
>
> Does that mean it's not going to tasted like Corned Beef? Is there something I
> could do to it before I cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same as
> putting it in brine for a day or so?
>
> If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
> Thanks in advance. CatinTX

What brand is it, and what *exactly* does it say on the label? I don't
think it's possible to have uncured corned beef, but it might be cured with
just salt, spices, and sugar, with no sodium nitrite or nitrate.

Are you sure it doesn't say "uncooked"?

Bob

zxcvbob 15-03-2004 11:47 PM

zxcvbob 15-03-2004 11:53 PM

zxcvbob wrote:

> TheCatinTX wrote:
>
>> I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned
>> beef) from Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't
>> notice the package says: "uncured". Does that mean it's not going to
>> tasted like Corned Beef? Is there something I could do to it before I
>> cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same as putting it in
>> brine for a day or so? If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
>> Thanks in advance. CatinTX

> What brand is it, and what *exactly* does it say on the label? I don't
> think it's possible to have uncured corned beef, but it might be cured
> with just salt, spices, and sugar, with no sodium nitrite or nitrate.
>
> Are you sure it doesn't say "uncooked"?
>
> Bob

Is this it? <http://yorkshirefarms.com/labels/label_ckcornbeef.htm>

-Bob

zxcvbob 15-03-2004 11:53 PM

PENMART01 16-03-2004 12:04 AM

Please Help: "Uncured" Corned Beef

>(TheCatinTX) says:
>
>I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned beef)
>from
>Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't notice the
>package
>says: "uncured".
>
>Does that mean it's not going to tasted like Corned Beef? Is there something
>could do to it before I cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same as
>putting it in brine for a day or so?
>
>If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
>Thanks in advance. CatinTX

If beef is corned it's cured.... could be cured with just salt (NACL) and no
Nitrites, but it's still cured. But you say yours is red, so it is corned with
nitrites.

What brand is it... check for a Website, perhaps the company will offer an
explanation.

Then again it's Texas, maybe you misread the label and it actually says "beef
brisket (not cured)"... I don't think corned beef brisket exists in Texas, only
uncured brisket for Qing.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01 16-03-2004 12:04 AM

zxcvbob 16-03-2004 12:07 AM

PENMART01 wrote:

>>(TheCatinTX) says:
>>
>>I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned beef)
>>from
>>Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't notice the
>>package
>>says: "uncured".
>>
>>Does that mean it's not going to tasted like Corned Beef? Is there something
>>could do to it before I cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same as
>>putting it in brine for a day or so?
>>
>>If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
>>Thanks in advance. CatinTX

> If beef is corned it's cured.... could be cured with just salt (NACL) and no
> Nitrites, but it's still cured. But you say yours is red, so it is corned with
> nitrites.

I found a brand that is cured without nitrites, and it's red because they
add... beet powder! (I posted a link in my other message)

Seriously,
Bob

zxcvbob 16-03-2004 12:07 AM

hahabogus 16-03-2004 01:35 AM

Please Help: "Uncured" Corned Beef

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> I found a brand that is cured without nitrites, and it's red because
> they add... beet powder! (I posted a link in my other message)
>
> Seriously,
> Bob

Send some to barb! She likes beets!

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

hahabogus 16-03-2004 01:35 AM

TheCatinTX 16-03-2004 02:59 AM

Please Help: "Uncured" Corned Beef

It says "uncured."

http://yorkshirefarms.com/labels/label_ckcornbeef.htm

That is not the same brand, but the same ingredients. I guess I'll just go
ahead and cook it and see what I get -- beet powder and all.

Happy Uncured St. Patrick's Day!

Alex Rast 16-03-2004 03:45 AM

Please Help: "Uncured" Corned Beef

at Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:44:26 GMT in
(TheCatinTX) wrote :

>I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned
>beef) from Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't
>notice the package says: "uncured".

Apparently, U.S. law forbids labelling something as "cured" if it does not
contain nitrates or nitrites. IMHO this is pretty silly, and contradictory
to common-sense experience - I'm willing to bet 9 people out of 10 would
consider a meat cured only with salt to be "cured" and would wish to see it
labelled as such. To me, the requirement that it be labelled "uncured" is
misleading and leads to consumer confusion, like what you've experienced.

--
Alex Rast

Alex Rast 16-03-2004 03:45 AM

Kate Connally 16-03-2004 07:55 PM

TheCatinTX wrote:

> I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned beef) from
> Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't notice the package
> says: "uncured".
>
> Does that mean it's not going to tasted like Corned Beef? Is there something I
> could do to it before I cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same as
> putting it in brine for a day or so?
>
> If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
> Thanks in advance. CatinTX

By definition "corned" beef is cured. That's what
corning is - a method of curing. So I don't know
what the hell you've got. Unless they mean that it's
the same cut used to make corned beef, but just not
corned yet. As in a fresh ham, is the same cut that
is used to make ham but it hasn't been cured.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally 16-03-2004 07:55 PM

Kate Connally 16-03-2004 07:58 PM

Alex Rast wrote:

> at Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:44:26 GMT in
> >,
> (TheCatinTX) wrote :
>
> >I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned
> >beef) from Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't
> >notice the package says: "uncured".

> Apparently, U.S. law forbids labelling something as "cured" if it does not
> contain nitrates or nitrites. IMHO this is pretty silly, and contradictory
> to common-sense experience - I'm willing to bet 9 people out of 10 would
> consider a meat cured only with salt to be "cured" and would wish to see it
> labelled as such. To me, the requirement that it be labelled "uncured" is
> misleading and leads to consumer confusion, like what you've experienced.

Aha! That would explain the whole magillah. People were
curing meats and other things with salt long before there
were nitrates.
Kate

Kate Connally 16-03-2004 07:58 PM

Dimitri 16-03-2004 08:15 PM

"TheCatinTX" > wrote in message
> I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned beef)

from
> Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't notice the

package
> says: "uncured".
>
> Does that mean it's not going to tasted like Corned Beef? Is there

something I
> could do to it before I cook it to help? Would "curing it" be the same

as
> putting it in brine for a day or so?
>
> If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it.
> Thanks in advance. CatinTX

See below:

Dimitri

corned beef
Beef (usually BRISKET, but also ROUND) CURED in a seasoned BRINE. Sometimes
the brine is pumped through the arterial system. The term "corned" beef
comes from the English use of the word "corn," meaning any small particle
(such as a grain of salt). Two types of corned beef are available, depending
on the butcher and the region. Old-fashioned corned beef is grayish-pink in
color and very salty; the newer style has less salt and is a bright rosy
red. Much corned beef is now being made without nitrites, which are reputed
to be carcinogenic.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Dimitri 16-03-2004 08:15 PM

Kate Connally 17-03-2004 06:38 PM

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:58:00 -0500, Kate Connally
> > wrote:
>
> >Aha! That would explain the whole magillah. People were
> >curing meats and other things with salt long before there
> >were nitrates.

> Saltpetre has been in use for many centuries - long before the
> USDA and FDA came along.

I still think meat was being cured with only salt
before the discovery of saltpeter. The only thing
the addition of saltpeter and nitrates does is
improve the success of the curing and making the
results able to be kept longer.
Kate

Kate Connally 17-03-2004 06:38 PM

PENMART01 17-03-2004 07:30 PM

Please Help: "Uncured" Corned Beef

>The only thing
>the addition of saltpeter and nitrates does is
>improve the success of the curing and making the
>results able to be kept longer.
>Kate

Actually not. Salt alone does an admirable job of preserving. The nitrates
keep the meat a nice red color... with salt alone it would be dull grey... it
would taste the same but it would appear ugly.

PENMART01 17-03-2004 07:30 PM

TheCatinTX 17-03-2004 08:25 PM

Please Help: "Uncured" Corned Beef

Well, I made the uncured corned beef yesterday. Into the oven with beer,
vinegar, brown sugar, and spices, the same way I've made it before. It was
fine, though the flavor was a bit milder. Not as good as some years, but it
was OK.

Thank you for all your information and suggestions. - Catin TX

Blair P. Houghton 18-03-2004 05:19 AM

TheCatinTX > wrote:
>Whole Foods

Your first mistake.

--Blair
"Makes Safeway look culinarily clued."

Blair P. Houghton 18-03-2004 05:19 AM

Blair P. Houghton 18-03-2004 05:20 AM

zxcvbob > wrote:
>I found a brand that is cured without nitrites, and it's red because they
>add... beet powder! (I posted a link in my other message)

Beet powder? Isn't that where MSG comes from?

--Blair
"I wonder where Nitrates come from."

Blair P. Houghton 18-03-2004 05:20 AM

Saerah 18-03-2004 05:40 AM

?

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

Saerah 18-03-2004 05:40 AM