Johnny Mc

Default Wild pork wild flavor

Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not care
for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight over the
last little bit in the pot or skillet?

Help me be the HERO!!!

--

Thanks,
Johnny Mc

To E-mail me, just cut the "CRAP"!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katra

In article >,
"Johnny Mc" > wrote:

> Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
> It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not care
> for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
> Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight over the
> last little bit in the pot or skillet?
>
> Help me be the HERO!!!

Lots of garlic and onions. ;-)
I've found that helps a lot.

Along with a lot of fresh herbs.

Smoking/grilling also.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Hahabogus

Katra > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> "Johnny Mc" > wrote:
>
> > Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
> > It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does
> > not care for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
> > Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight
> > over the last little bit in the pot or skillet?
> >
> > Help me be the HERO!!!

> Lots of garlic and onions. ;-)
> I've found that helps a lot.
>
> Along with a lot of fresh herbs.
>
> Smoking/grilling also.

Marinate the pork or any wild meat you want to unwild in milk for about 1
hr. Works well.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Vox Humana

"Johnny Mc" > wrote in message
> Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
> It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not care
> for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
> Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight over the
> last little bit in the pot or skillet?
>
> Help me be the HERO!!!

You could try some the trick people use on venison like strong marinades. I
like lemon and rosemary with pork. You could mix up a paste of some olive
oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic. Rub it on
the pork and refrigerate for about 24 hours before grilling or roasting.

Ruddell

In > Johnny Mc wrote:
> Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
> It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not
> care for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it. Any recipes that
> was make it taste so good my family will fight over the last little
> bit in the pot or skillet?
>
> Help me be the HERO!!!

I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

smithfarms pure kona

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:29:02 -0000, Ruddell
> wrote:

>In > Johnny Mc wrote:
>> Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
>> It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does

not
>> care for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it. Any recipes

that
>> was make it taste so good my family will fight over the last

little
>> bit in the pot or skillet?
>>
>> Help me be the HERO!!!

>I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
>love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...

We have wild pigs in our back yard at night. They come out of the
rainforest to eat the Macadamia nuts. They have squealy pig fights and
seemingly go in herds as I can hear a few out there.

There is pig hunting in Hawaii.

I agree with the OP...we once shot and ate some of the wild pig and it
was too strong in flavor. "Gamey" comes to mind.

aloha,
Thunder

smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Johnny Mc

"Ruddell" > wrote in message
> In > Johnny Mc wrote:
> > Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
> > It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not
> > care for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it. Any recipes that
> > was make it taste so good my family will fight over the last little
> > bit in the pot or skillet?
> >
> > Help me be the HERO!!!

> I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
> love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...
>

> --
> Cheers
>
> Dennis
>
> Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

I live in Texas and a guy I work with hunts the pigs at night for farmers
who want to get rig of them, because they are destroying thier crops.
Do a Google image search for "wild pig"
The wild dark haired ones with long sharp teeth, is what I have in my deep
freeze.

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 09:48:22p, Johnny Mc wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Ruddell" > wrote in message
>> In > Johnny Mc wrote:
>> > Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
>> > It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not
>> > care for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it. Any recipes that
>> > was make it taste so good my family will fight over the last little
>> > bit in the pot or skillet?
>> >
>> > Help me be the HERO!!!

>> I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
>> love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...
>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dennis
>>
>> Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

> I live in Texas and a guy I work with hunts the pigs at night for
> farmers who want to get rig of them, because they are destroying thier
> crops. Do a Google image search for "wild pig"
> The wild dark haired ones with long sharp teeth, is what I have in my
> deep freeze.

Are these "real" pigs, or are they javalinas?

I can't stand the taste of javalinas. They are not actually "pigs".

Wayne
Kyle Phillips

"Johnny Mc" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
> It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not care
> for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
> Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight over the
> last little bit in the pot or skillet?
>
> Help me be the HERO!!!
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Mc
>
> To E-mail me, just cut the "CRAP"!
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you mean a pig that got loose, or boar? In any case, I'd marinate it with
juniper berries. Here's a recipe off my site, http://italianfood.about.com:

Juniper berries are traditionally used in cooking boar, hare, and other
game. Should boar not be available where you live, this will work well with
venison too. It will serve 4-6.

* A leg of boar, weighing about 3 pounds
* 1 tablespoon juniper berries
* A clove of garlic
* 1/4 pound (100 g) lardons
* A half a medium onion
* A 2-inch (5 cm) piece of carrot
* A 2-inch (5 cm) stalk of celery
* A bunch of parsley
* A bay leaf
* Good red wine
* 1/2 cup (50 g) melted butter
* 1/3 cup ( 80 ml) broth
* Salt and pepper to taste

If you buy fresh boar, make sure that the animal was young. If it wasn't,
marinate the meat for three days with a full bodied red wine. If you instead
buy frozen meat, you will only need to thaw it.

Come cooking time, lardon the meat and preheat your oven to 430 F (215 C).

Grind together a clove of garlic, the juniper berries, a couple of grains of
pepper, and a pinch of salt; rub the meat with this mixture and set it in a
casserole. Sprinkle the meat with the melted butter, crumble the laurel leaf
over it, and pop it into the oven.

Roast the meat for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, mince and sauté the onion, celery,
parsley, and carrot in a tablespoon of butter, then stir in the broth and
heat through. Add the herbs to the meat, sprinkle it with the wine, reduce
the temperature to 390 F (195 C), and continue roasting for another 2 hours,
turning the meat occasionally and basting it frequently with the drippings.

When the meat is done remove it to a serving platter. Reduce the drippings
over a brisk flame, pour them over the meat, and serve. This goes well with
roast potatoes.

Kyle
(fix the email per the instructions it contains to reply directly)

Bubba

Johnny Mc wrote:

>Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
>It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not care
>for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
>Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight over the
>last little bit in the pot or skillet?
>
>Help me be the HERO!!!

The chops I'd marinate in buttermilk overnight. The roast I'd inject
with liquid pork fat from a domestic pig....I think you'll be amazed at
what this will do.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Emil

I watch the Calorie Commando occasionally and he puts 1/4 cup of course
Dijon mustard in Buttermilk to marinate and add flavor.
Sounds good and I am going to try it on some bnls. thighs this weekend.

--
Emil Luca

"Bubba" > wrote in message
> Johnny Mc wrote:
>
>>Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
>>It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not care
>>for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
>>Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight over the
>>last little bit in the pot or skillet?
>>
>>Help me be the HERO!!!
>>

> The chops I'd marinate in buttermilk overnight. The roast I'd inject with
> liquid pork fat from a domestic pig....I think you'll be amazed at what
> this will do.
>
> Bubba
>
> --
> You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Johnny Mc

> Are these "real" pigs, or are they javalinas?
>
> I can't stand the taste of javalinas. They are not actually "pigs".
>
> Wayne

What I have is regular pigs that are wild, not javalina

--

Just Brew It!
Johnny Mc

To E-mail me, just cut the "CRAP"!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael Odom

On 26 Jan 2005 05:13:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>Are these "real" pigs, or are they javalinas?
>
>I can't stand the taste of javalinas. They are not actually "pigs".
>
>Wayne

Real hogs. They're feral animals, escaped from farms way back when
and gone native. In my opinion, hunting them is an instance of fair
play. They'd as soon eat the hunter as anything else.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Michael L Kankiewicz

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Ruddell wrote:

> I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
> love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...

Very popular hunting game in the southern midwest. (I think that's where
the Arkansas Razorbacks take their name from?)

http://www.coestatepark.com/wild_pig.htm

Someone once gave me burgers of half wild pig half venison he had killed.
They were delicious. Just a quick browning.

Doug Freyburger

Ruddell wrote:

> I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
> love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...

Can be either wild boar, which is the original that pigs
were domesticated from, or ferral hogs, which are
domesticated pigs that escaped and live in the wild. I
suppose since they can interbreed that's a floating
point range of mixtures not a binary either-or.

Places that specialize in exotic meats might carry it.
I've had wild boar at one Yule dinner that was special
ordered. www.exoticmeats.com comes to mind if you have
plenty of money to toss at your desire.

Ruddell

In .com> Doug
Freyburger wrote:
> Ruddell wrote:
>>
>> I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
>> love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...

> Can be either wild boar, which is the original that pigs
> were domesticated from, or ferral hogs, which are
> domesticated pigs that escaped and live in the wild. I
> suppose since they can interbreed that's a floating
> point range of mixtures not a binary either-or.
>
> Places that specialize in exotic meats might carry it.
> I've had wild boar at one Yule dinner that was special
> ordered. www.exoticmeats.com comes to mind if you have
> plenty of money to toss at your desire.

Thanks to all who answered and now I'm going to see what I can get. I
notice exoticmeats in Seattle has an email address so I'll ask about
delivery in Canada.

I didn't realized that farm pigs had escaped and survived in the wild.
Guess this must only be where the climate doesn't get extremely cold and
might explain why I'd not heard of it before. But thanks again to all...

Freezing in Saskatchewan

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 26 Jan 2005 05:13:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>> I live in Texas and a guy I work with hunts the pigs at night for
>> farmers who want to get rig of them, because they are destroying thier
>> crops. Do a Google image search for "wild pig"
>> The wild dark haired ones with long sharp teeth, is what I have in my
>> deep freeze.

>Are these "real" pigs, or are they javalinas?
>
>I can't stand the taste of javalinas. They are not actually "pigs".
>
>Wayne

Really? They look like miniature tuskers to me. I haven't had the
opportunity to eat one. What are they, if not pigs?

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Accordions don't play 'Lady of Spain.' People play 'Lady of Spain."
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Jan 2005 09:52:42p, Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 26 Jan 2005 05:13:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>> I live in Texas and a guy I work with hunts the pigs at night for
>>> farmers who want to get rig of them, because they are destroying thier
>>> crops. Do a Google image search for "wild pig"
>>> The wild dark haired ones with long sharp teeth, is what I have in my
>>> deep freeze.

>>Are these "real" pigs, or are they javalinas?
>>
>>I can't stand the taste of javalinas. They are not actually "pigs".
>>
>>Wayne

> Really? They look like miniature tuskers to me. I haven't had the
> opportunity to eat one. What are they, if not pigs?

Yes, they do indeed. Javalinas are actually Collard Peccarys. From a
reference:

The collared peccary resembles a wild boar but is unrelated to the pigs. It
has a heavily built body covered with coarse hair, a heavy snout, and a
distinct collar of light-coloured hair around the neck. These animals are
common in the southern desert regions of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas,
where they frequent the shrubby areas and canyons. They favour the saguaro-
paloverde regions and mixed shrub grassland. They roam the desert in loose
groups of 8 to 12 (but up to 30) individuals, each group being led by an
older sow. They are territorial.

The favourite food is prickly pear and other fleshy cacti - they eat vast
amounts of prickly pear pads and are undeterred by the spines. They also
dig up roots and bulbs.

My note: They are meaner than sin!

Wayne

smithfarms pure kona

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:52:42 -0500, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> wrote:

>On 26 Jan 2005 05:13:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>> I live in Texas and a guy I work with hunts the pigs at night for
>>> farmers who want to get rig of them, because they are destroying

thier
>>> crops. Do a Google image search for "wild pig"
>>> The wild dark haired ones with long sharp teeth, is what I have in

my
>>> deep freeze.

>>Are these "real" pigs, or are they javalinas?
>>
>>I can't stand the taste of javalinas. They are not actually "pigs".
>>
>>Wayne

>Really? They look like miniature tuskers to me. I haven't had the
>opportunity to eat one. What are they, if not pigs?

>"Accordions don't play 'Lady of Spain.' People play 'Lady of Spain."

Our Hawaiian wild pigs, which were squealing/fighting out the window
last night, are a combination of the Polynesian pig brought over with
the original Hawaii settlers as a food source- on their canoes in
about the 1200s- and they combined with the European pigs brought over
by Capt. Vancouver in 1792. Many ended up in our bountiful rainforest
where they live today. Our wild pigs get up too 250 pounds and
sometimes a little larger.

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Johnny Mc

Okay, here is what I have gleaned from this thread to tame the savage pork
beast.
-----------------------------------
Soak a few hours in butter milk
Make a marinade with "Beer, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper, rosemary,
Dijon mustard, and garlic."
Marinade over night.
Cook with lots of Garlic & Onions.

Okay, help me add seasonings to the cooking process.
Also any comments on the rest are welcome.
You guys made my quasi-chili come out great.

--

Just Brew It!
Johnny Mc

To E-mail me, just cut the "CRAP"!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doug Freyburger

Johnny Mc wrote:

> Okay, here is what I have gleaned from this thread to
> tame the savage pork beast.

> Okay, help me add seasonings to the cooking process.

If it goes well with domesticated pork, it should be fine
with wild. Caraway, rosemary, inserted slices of garlic
and lard.

As to sides, the wild theme should continue. Have what
you think of as wild or different veggies. Could be
anything from marinted and steamed celery root through
something native to your geography. I tend to think
"not native to the Americas" for wild, so I'll have
roots like turnips and beats rather than potatoes. Not
that that is actually wild, it just reminds me of wild
for some reason.

Oh yes, and some German stuff: Yaeger-art means hunter's
style. In every recipe I've seen with the word Jager
or Yaeger, there is a mushroom sauce. To continue the
wild theme, maybe chantrelles or morels if you can find
them. I guess German hunters watch for mushrooms much
of the time they wander the woods looking for game.

> Also any comments on the rest are welcome.

I like cream-based gravies rather than flour-based gravies.
My bias is that wheat gives me indigestion, but I think
the cream-based ones have better flavor anyways.
I like the gamey flavor, so no milk marinade for my portion,
please.

Bob

Thunder wrote:

> Our wild pigs get up too 250 pounds and sometimes a little larger.

Heh...back in my old stomping grounds, the wild pigs get up to 400 pounds:

http://breaking.tcm.ie/2003/02/19/story88716.html

Bob

: Johnny Mc wrote:

: I like cream-based gravies rather than flour-based gravies.
: My bias is that wheat gives me indigestion, but I think
: the cream-based ones have better flavor anyways.
: I like the gamey flavor, so no milk marinade for my portion,
: please.

You mean "cream-based gravies rather than water-based gravies", don't
you? Most cream gravies still have flour in them.
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 27 Jan 2005 08:42:40 -0800, "Doug Freyburger" >
wrote:

>Oh yes, and some German stuff: Yaeger-art means hunter's
>style. In every recipe I've seen with the word Jager
>or Yaeger, there is a mushroom sauce. To continue the
>wild theme, maybe chantrelles or morels if you can find
>them. I guess German hunters watch for mushrooms much
>of the time they wander the woods looking for game.

Indeed I remember "Jaeger Schnitzel mit pfifferlinge" on the menu at
the Student Prince in Springfield, MA back in the 1960s. Pfifferlinge
is chantarelle. I imagine, but don't know, that they imported them
canned at that time. But, they do grow in the Northeast, so they might
have gotten them from a forager.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Biologists think they are chemists, chemists think they are phycisists,
physicists think they are gods, and God thinks He is a mathematician." Anon
Michael Odom

On 27 Jan 2005 11:09:03 -0600, "Bob" >
wrote:

>Thunder wrote:
>
>> Our wild pigs get up too 250 pounds and sometimes a little larger.

>Heh...back in my old stomping grounds, the wild pigs get up to 400 pounds:
>
>http://breaking.tcm.ie/2003/02/19/story88716.html
>
>Bob

I suppose you've already heard about Hogzilla.
http://tinyurl.com/4kj5w

Snopes lists it as unconfirmed, but apparently there's a National
Geographic TV spot being produced about it.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

smithfarms pure kona

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:02:54 -0600, Michael Odom >
wrote:

>On 27 Jan 2005 11:09:03 -0600, "Bob" >
>wrote:
>
>>Thunder wrote:
>>
>>> Our wild pigs get up too 250 pounds and sometimes a little larger.

>>Heh...back in my old stomping grounds, the wild pigs get up to 400

pounds:

>>http://breaking.tcm.ie/2003/02/19/story88716.html
>>
>>Bob
>>

>I suppose you've already heard about Hogzilla.
>http://tinyurl.com/4kj5w
>
>Snopes lists it as unconfirmed, but apparently there's a National
>Geographic TV spot being produced about it.

I'd like to add that the Polynesian pig was quite small. They were
brought here, live, on canoes as a future food source when the
original settlers to Hawaii were migrating. Understandably everything
brought on the traveling canoe from food to people were carefully
selected for the long--over 2000 mile journey...so our Hawaiian wild
pigs are naturally smaller and hardy too <g>.
aloha,
Thunder

..
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
texpat

A few years ago, when my daughter and son-in-law lived outside Nacogdoches,
Texas (East Texas), they heard feral pigs behind their house. Mark took a
..22 and shot in the general direction (in the dark), hoping to scare them
off. Imagine his amazement when he realized he'd killed one of the pigs.

They had a steady stream of neighbors all evening, wanting to see. One
hauled it off, butchered it and brought some meat back to them.

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>>Are these "real" pigs, or are they javalinas?
>>>
>>>I can't stand the taste of javalinas. They are not actually "pigs".
>>>
>>>Wayne

>> Really? They look like miniature tuskers to me. I haven't had the
>> opportunity to eat one. What are they, if not pigs?

> Yes, they do indeed. Javalinas are actually Collard Peccarys. From a
> reference:
>
> The collared peccary resembles a wild boar but is unrelated to the pigs.
> It
> has a heavily built body covered with coarse hair, a heavy snout, and a
> distinct collar of light-coloured hair around the neck. These animals are
> common in the southern desert regions of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas,
> where they frequent the shrubby areas and canyons. They favour the
> saguaro-
> paloverde regions and mixed shrub grassland. They roam the desert in loose
> groups of 8 to 12 (but up to 30) individuals, each group being led by an
> older sow. They are territorial.
>
> The favourite food is prickly pear and other fleshy cacti - they eat vast
> amounts of prickly pear pads and are undeterred by the spines. They also
> dig up roots and bulbs.
>
> My note: They are meaner than sin!
>
> Wayne

smithfarms pure kona

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:00:33 -0600, "texpat" > wrote:

>A few years ago, when my daughter and son-in-law lived outside

Nacogdoches,
>Texas (East Texas), they heard feral pigs behind their house. Mark

took a
>.22 and shot in the general direction (in the dark), hoping to scare

them
>off. Imagine his amazement when he realized he'd killed one of the

pigs.

>They had a steady stream of neighbors all evening, wanting to see.

One
>hauled it off, butchered it and brought some meat back to them.

One night our Irish setter killed a young pig all on his own. That
was amazing. We never even heard a noise.

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

Farmed vs Wild Salmon - flavor [email protected] General Cooking 25 12-10-2006 06:42 AM
Fruited Pork and Wild Rice Salad Duckie ® Recipes 0 12-07-2006 02:49 PM
Wild Pork Roast Johnny Mc Barbecue 6 21-02-2005 04:21 PM
Wild, wild meat MEow General Cooking 13 29-02-2004 01:33 PM