Priscilla Ballou

Default Quick! Sub for corn meal on baking stone?

I have two small round loaves rising right now, and I just realized I'm
out of cornmeal. I want to bake these on the stone in my oven, but what
can I put under them to keep them from sticking? Am I wrong that flour
will burn?

Thanks!

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
Damsel

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:33:26 GMT, Priscilla Ballou >
wrote:

>I have two small round loaves rising right now, and I just realized I'm
>out of cornmeal. I want to bake these on the stone in my oven, but what
>can I put under them to keep them from sticking? Am I wrong that flour
>will burn?

This may or may not work, but when I made almond flour cake, I had the
impression that if it had had no sweetener or flavors added, it would have
duplicated corn bread. The textures are very similar. Almond flour?

Carol

MOMPEAGRAM

Cream of wheat
"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
>I have two small round loaves rising right now, and I just realized I'm
> out of cornmeal. I want to bake these on the stone in my oven, but what
> can I put under them to keep them from sticking? Am I wrong that flour
> will burn?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Priscilla
>
> --
> "It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
> of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
> The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
> - QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 24 Jan 2005 04:33:26p, Priscilla Ballou wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I have two small round loaves rising right now, and I just realized I'm
> out of cornmeal. I want to bake these on the stone in my oven, but what
> can I put under them to keep them from sticking? Am I wrong that flour
> will burn?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Priscilla

Rolled oats.

Wayne

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Mon 24 Jan 2005 04:33:26p, Priscilla Ballou wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > I have two small round loaves rising right now, and I just realized I'm
> > out of cornmeal. I want to bake these on the stone in my oven, but what
> > can I put under them to keep them from sticking? Am I wrong that flour
> > will burn?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Priscilla

> Rolled oats.

Aha! That I have. Thanks!

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
- QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Priscilla Ballou

In article <1106609831.bb36be58967f3f67bef62b0d482f1919@teran ews>,
"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote:

> Cream of wheat

I've only got a few packets of instant, and I'm saving those for when
I'm very sick, but I do have oats, which Wayne suggested, so I'll use
them.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
- QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Damsel > wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:33:26 GMT, Priscilla Ballou >
> wrote:
>
> >I have two small round loaves rising right now, and I just realized I'm
> >out of cornmeal. I want to bake these on the stone in my oven, but what
> >can I put under them to keep them from sticking? Am I wrong that flour
> >will burn?

> This may or may not work, but when I made almond flour cake, I had the
> impression that if it had had no sweetener or flavors added, it would have
> duplicated corn bread. The textures are very similar. Almond flour?

I'm not sure about that. Something about the idea of oils in it makes
me leery of it. But I do have oats, so I'm using that.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
- QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Marcella Peek

In article >,
Priscilla Ballou > wrote:

> I have two small round loaves rising right now, and I just realized I'm
> out of cornmeal. I want to bake these on the stone in my oven, but what
> can I put under them to keep them from sticking? Am I wrong that flour
> will burn?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Priscilla

Nothing at all works just fine. I've never had bread stick to the stone.

If I'm making a wet dough that would stick to the peel, then I will put
the bread on a sheet of parchment paper. Slide bread paper and all onto
the stone and bake. Paper turns a dark brown and gets brittle but
doesn't burn, smoke or catch fire.

marcella
sf

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:33:26 GMT, Priscilla Ballou
> wrote:

> I have two small round loaves rising right now, and I just realized I'm
> out of cornmeal. I want to bake these on the stone in my oven, but what
> can I put under them to keep them from sticking? Am I wrong that flour
> will burn?

Flour is fine. I made pizza last night and used it instead
of cornmeal.

sf
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Marcella Peek > wrote:

> In article >,
> Priscilla Ballou > wrote:
>
> > I have two small round loaves rising right now, and I just realized I'm
> > out of cornmeal. I want to bake these on the stone in my oven, but what
> > can I put under them to keep them from sticking? Am I wrong that flour
> > will burn?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Priscilla

> Nothing at all works just fine. I've never had bread stick to the stone.
>
> If I'm making a wet dough that would stick to the peel, then I will put
> the bread on a sheet of parchment paper. Slide bread paper and all onto
> the stone and bake. Paper turns a dark brown and gets brittle but
> doesn't burn, smoke or catch fire.

Thanks to all the useful information from so many!

The oats worked very well, and I'm about to have a slice off the end of
one of the two loaves with a nice slather of butter. :-)

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
- QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Dee Randall

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
>I have two small round loaves rising right now, and I just realized I'm
> out of cornmeal. I want to bake these on the stone in my oven, but what
> can I put under them to keep them from sticking? Am I wrong that flour
> will burn?

Put them on parchment paper.
Or, if you have any semolina, that would do.
Chances are if your stone is really, really hot, they will not stick at all.
Dee

My head spins trying to find the right type of quarry stone to beused as baking stone Manda Ruby General Cooking 5 26-08-2009 04:56 PM
Best way to clean a baking stone Moka Java Cooking Equipment 30 29-01-2009 08:27 PM
Why corn meal on baking stone? JoeSpareBedroom General Cooking 30 21-01-2008 05:15 PM
baking stone Darcy Legare Baking 12 23-12-2004 11:01 PM
Getting Smell off a Baking Stone? Dan Szymborski General Cooking 8 25-11-2003 06:03 PM