JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

Default Cake Nail?

A cake nail has merely been mentioned in a few rfc threads, so I'll stay
on topic by asking alone. Please share exactly what this is? I often
enough bake a cake that tends to dry out too much "around" while I try
to bake-finish off the center's staying too wet. This nail thing sounds
exactly what may answer my need, but I have no idea where to get one.
Is it simply a #(?) lumber nail that is somewhat affixed to the center
of a bake pan's bottom oil coating for sticking before pouring in the
cake batter? If so, could two of these spaced 2" apart for large,
non-yeast quick-bread loaves be used for best outcome?

Picky ~JA~

Vox Humana

"JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms" > wrote in message
> A cake nail has merely been mentioned in a few rfc threads, so I'll stay
> on topic by asking alone. Please share exactly what this is? I often
> enough bake a cake that tends to dry out too much "around" while I try
> to bake-finish off the center's staying too wet. This nail thing sounds
> exactly what may answer my need, but I have no idea where to get one.
> Is it simply a #(?) lumber nail that is somewhat affixed to the center
> of a bake pan's bottom oil coating for sticking before pouring in the
> cake batter? If so, could two of these spaced 2" apart for large,
> non-yeast quick-bread loaves be used for best outcome?

Before getting a cake nail, I would recommend getting an oven thermometer.
It sounds like your oven is out of calibration. Unless you are baking large
(16 inch +), cakes in deep pans, you shouldn't be having problems.

JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

Vox=A0Humana writes:
>Before getting a cake nail, I would
>recommend getting an oven
>thermometer. It sounds like your oven is
>out of calibration. Unless you are baking
>large (16 inch +), cakes in deep pans,
>you shouldn't be having problems.

Checking with an oven thermometer has continuously proven that often wet
cake centers are not caused by temperature at all. This seems a problem
only when it's a very heavy cake, or with my quick-breads baked in glass
loaf pans (with temp 25 degrees lower than with metal).

Picky ~JA~

Vox Humana

Vox Humana writes:
>Before getting a cake nail, I would
>recommend getting an oven
>thermometer. It sounds like your oven is
>out of calibration. Unless you are baking
>large (16 inch +), cakes in deep pans,
>you shouldn't be having problems.

Checking with an oven thermometer has continuously proven that often wet
cake centers are not caused by temperature at all. This seems a problem
only when it's a very heavy cake, or with my quick-breads baked in glass
loaf pans (with temp 25 degrees lower than with metal).

Then you must have some other issue. You may be baking the cake too high in
the oven or there may be a technique or ingredient problem. If it were me,
I would solve the root problem rather than fooling around with a cake nail.