DJS0302

Default Pig in a poke

Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that looks
valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A pig
in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.
Margaret Suran

DJS0302 wrote:
> Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that looks
> valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A pig
> in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

Fool's Gold? Gilded Lily? A Pig In The Poke is something you buy
without seeing it, I believe.

Puester

DJS0302 wrote:
> Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that looks
> valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A pig
> in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

Mutton dressed as lamb? (OB food!)

gloria p
Nancree

counterfeit ?

try this site. I have found it to be useful.

http://www.onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml
-------------------
>> Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that looks
>> valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A

>pig
>> in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

sf

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:17:36 -0500, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> Fool's Gold?

All that glitters is not gold.

http://www.goenglish.com

All That Glitters Is Not Gold
(it may not be as valuable as it seems)

Something which seems valuable at first may turn out to be
worthless. Example: "Be careful when shopping for your new
car; all that glitters is not gold!" Just because something
appears valuable does not mean that it really is valuable.

sf

Vox Humana

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

> DJS0302 wrote:
> > Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

looks
> > valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless?

Trophy wife.

Virginia Tadrzynski

"DJS0302" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

looks
> valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A

pig
> in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

Buying a Pig in a Poke is buying sight unseen and usually being taken in the
process. In the South, a poke is a sack. Buying a pig in a sack, unable
to see the final product, is not suggested. Therefore, if you just take
someone's word for something without checking into it yourself, you are
buying a pig in a poke.
-Ginny

Michael Odom

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:58:38 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>"DJS0302" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

>looks
>> valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A

>pig
>> in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

>Buying a Pig in a Poke is buying sight unseen and usually being taken in the
>process. In the South, a poke is a sack. Buying a pig in a sack, unable
>to see the final product, is not suggested. Therefore, if you just take
>someone's word for something without checking into it yourself, you are
>buying a pig in a poke.

Got that right. Was a time when unscrupulous types would put a cat in
said poke, call it a pig, and cheat some poor rube.

Then there were the times somebody let the cat out of the bag...

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Lore

LMAO! Good one Margaret!

Saerah

Margaret Suran wrote in message ...

>DJS0302 wrote:
>> Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

looks
>> valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A

pig
>> in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

>Fool's Gold? Gilded Lily? A Pig In The Poke is something you buy
>without seeing it, I believe.

that would be painted lily

--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

CrzyBitch (3:25:06 AM): I'm a secret agent, and a princess

Hairy

"DJS0302" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

looks
> valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A

pig
> in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

White elephant??

Gregory Morrow

Hairy wrote:

> "DJS0302" > wrote in message
> > Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

> looks
> > valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say

"A
> pig
> > in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

> White elephant??

Well, whenever I see a guy with an ugly chick I always think, "He's *poking*
a *pig*"...hehe.

--
Best
Greg

sf

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 05:08:13 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

> Well, whenever I see a guy with an ugly chick I always think, "He's *poking*
> a *pig*"...hehe.

Your "poke" is a verb. The other "poke" is a noun.

sf
sf

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:35:50 -0500, "Saerah"
> wrote:

> that would be painted lily

The real phrase is "guilding the lily".

sf
Siobhan Perricone

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:39:24 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:35:50 -0500, "Saerah"
> wrote:
>

>> that would be painted lily

>The real phrase is "guilding the lily".

gilding the lily, and it means to try and adorn something that does no need
adornment because it's already beautiful.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
pennyaline

Hairy wrote:

> White elephant??

White elephants are items that sit on store shelves forever and don't sell.
White elephant sales are when the unsaleable items are marked down to
sacrifice prices just to get rid of them and offset some of the loss.

<and if you look carefully, some of that stuff may actually be pretty good>

Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Lore" > wrote:

> LMAO! Good one Margaret!

That was Vox, not Margaret.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Trip Report and pics added 1-13-05

Virginia Tadrzynski

My dear departed auntie used to say 'gotta go shake the dew off the lily'
when she had to go tinkle. Lilies get around.
-Ginny

Saerah

sf wrote in message ...
>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:35:50 -0500, "Saerah"
> wrote:
>

>> that would be painted lily

>The real phrase is "guilding the lily".
>
>sf

actually:

"To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
To throw a perfume on the violet,
To smooth the ice, or add another hue
Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
Is wasteful and ridiculous excess. "

Shakespeare, from 'King John' Act IV, Scene 2.

I'm not trying to be snotty, really. that particular mis-quote gets on my
nerves, thats all

--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

CrzyBitch (3:25:06 AM): I'm a secret agent, and a princess

Hairy

"pennyaline" <nsmitchell@spamspamspamspamspamspamspameggandspam .com> wrote
in message ...
> Hairy wrote:
> >
> > White elephant??

> White elephants are items that sit on store shelves forever and don't

sell.
> White elephant sales are when the unsaleable items are marked down to
> sacrifice prices just to get rid of them and offset some of the loss.
>
> <and if you look carefully, some of that stuff may actually be pretty

good>

That is a very narrow interpretation of this expression. Check
http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...ite%20elephant