Old 22-01-2005, 11:04 PM
DJS0302

Default Pig in a poke

Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that looks
valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A pig
in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

Old 22-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Margaret Suran

DJS0302 wrote:
Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that looks
valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A pig
in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

Fool's Gold? Gilded Lily? A Pig In The Poke is something you buy
without seeing it, I believe.

Old 22-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Puester

DJS0302 wrote:
Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that looks
valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A pig
in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

Mutton dressed as lamb? (OB food!)

gloria p
Old 23-01-2005, 01:10 AM
Nancree

counterfeit ?

try this site. I have found it to be useful.

http://www.onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml
-------------------

Old 23-01-2005, 01:31 AM
sf

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:17:36 -0500, Margaret Suran
wrote:

Fool's Gold?

All that glitters is not gold.

http://www.goenglish.com

All That Glitters Is Not Gold
(it may not be as valuable as it seems)

Something which seems valuable at first may turn out to be
worthless. Example: "Be careful when shopping for your new
car; all that glitters is not gold!" Just because something
appears valuable does not mean that it really is valuable.

sf

Old 23-01-2005, 03:38 AM
Vox Humana

"Margaret Suran" wrote in message

DJS0302 wrote:
Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

looks
valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless?

Trophy wife.

Old 23-01-2005, 03:58 AM
Virginia Tadrzynski

"DJS0302" wrote in message
Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

looks
valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A

pig
in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

Buying a Pig in a Poke is buying sight unseen and usually being taken in the
process. In the South, a poke is a sack. Buying a pig in a sack, unable
to see the final product, is not suggested. Therefore, if you just take
someone's word for something without checking into it yourself, you are
buying a pig in a poke.
-Ginny

Old 23-01-2005, 05:11 AM
Michael Odom

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:58:38 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
wrote:

"DJS0302" wrote in message
Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

looks
valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A

pig
in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

Buying a Pig in a Poke is buying sight unseen and usually being taken in the
process. In the South, a poke is a sack. Buying a pig in a sack, unable
to see the final product, is not suggested. Therefore, if you just take
someone's word for something without checking into it yourself, you are
buying a pig in a poke.

Got that right. Was a time when unscrupulous types would put a cat in
said poke, call it a pig, and cheat some poor rube.

Then there were the times somebody let the cat out of the bag...

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Old 23-01-2005, 05:15 AM
Lore

LMAO! Good one Margaret!

Old 23-01-2005, 05:35 AM
Saerah

DJS0302 wrote:
Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

looks
valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say "A

pig
in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

Fool's Gold? Gilded Lily? A Pig In The Poke is something you buy
without seeing it, I believe.

that would be painted lily

--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

CrzyBitch (3:25:06 AM): I'm a secret agent, and a princess

Old 23-01-2005, 06:08 AM
Gregory Morrow

Hairy wrote:

"DJS0302" wrote in message
Does anyone know the expression that means to describe something that

looks
valuable at first glance but turns out to be worthless? I want to say

"A
pig
in a poke" but I'm not sure if that's it.

White elephant??

Well, whenever I see a guy with an ugly chick I always think, "He's *poking*
a *pig*"...hehe.

--
Best
Greg

Old 23-01-2005, 08:07 AM
sf

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 05:08:13 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
wrote:

Well, whenever I see a guy with an ugly chick I always think, "He's *poking*
a *pig*"...hehe.

Your "poke" is a verb. The other "poke" is a noun.

sf