PENMART01

Default Let's try posting a few Handy Hints-things that make cooking

>Buy several inexpensive plastic measuring cups and keep one in the
>flour, one in the sugar, one in the rolled oats, etc. You won't need to
>wash them each time you use them. This works with measuring spoons too.
>
>Lia

Anyone who considers themself a baker would never consider measuring flour
other than with a scale.... I don't recall ever in my life measuring flour with
a cup... I do keep a scoop in my flour container.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Buy several inexpensive plastic measuring cups and keep one in the
>flour, one in the sugar, one in the rolled oats, etc. You won't need to
>wash them each time you use them. This works with measuring spoons too.
>
>Lia

Anyone who considers themself a baker would never consider measuring flour
other than with a scale.... I don't recall ever in my life measuring flour with
a cup... I do keep a scoop in my flour container.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Darryl L. Pierce

PENMART01 wrote:

>>Buy several inexpensive plastic measuring cups and keep one in the
>>flour, one in the sugar, one in the rolled oats, etc. You won't need to
>>wash them each time you use them. This works with measuring spoons too.

> Anyone who considers themself a baker would never consider measuring flour
> other than with a scale.... I don't recall ever in my life measuring flour
> with a cup... I do keep a scoop in my flour container.

Besides flour (I weigh AP at 128g/C and cake flour to 130g/C) what other
ingredients are better weighed than measured by volume? How about brown
sugar?

Darryl L. Pierce

PENMART01 wrote:

>>Buy several inexpensive plastic measuring cups and keep one in the
>>flour, one in the sugar, one in the rolled oats, etc. You won't need to
>>wash them each time you use them. This works with measuring spoons too.

> Anyone who considers themself a baker would never consider measuring flour
> other than with a scale.... I don't recall ever in my life measuring flour
> with a cup... I do keep a scoop in my flour container.

Besides flour (I weigh AP at 128g/C and cake flour to 130g/C) what other
ingredients are better weighed than measured by volume? How about brown
sugar?
Julia Altshuler

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

> Besides flour (I weigh AP at 128g/C and cake flour to 130g/C) what other
> ingredients are better weighed than measured by volume? How about brown
> sugar?

It depends on what you mean by better. If I want to whip up a quick
batch of brownies, I measure by volume because that's the measurement in
my cookbook; it is faster and more convenient for me to use measuring
cups; being off a little in one direction or the other won't kill the
recipe; I've made the recipe enough times that I can add a little flour
if the batter looks too wet for me. All told, volume measures are
better for me in that situation.

If I were making a recipe I'd never seen before for bread for many
loaves, I'd definitely measure by weight. It has been ages since I've
worked in that situation, but it would be better by far to weigh for all
the above reasons. The recipe would assuredly be given in weights; it
would be more convenient to get out the scale than to pack flour into a
quart measuring can; I wouldn't want to risk ruining that much bread
because I got the measurement wrong; I wouldn't know how to adjust
because I'd never seen the dough before.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

> Besides flour (I weigh AP at 128g/C and cake flour to 130g/C) what other
> ingredients are better weighed than measured by volume? How about brown
> sugar?

It depends on what you mean by better. If I want to whip up a quick
batch of brownies, I measure by volume because that's the measurement in
my cookbook; it is faster and more convenient for me to use measuring
cups; being off a little in one direction or the other won't kill the
recipe; I've made the recipe enough times that I can add a little flour
if the batter looks too wet for me. All told, volume measures are
better for me in that situation.

If I were making a recipe I'd never seen before for bread for many
loaves, I'd definitely measure by weight. It has been ages since I've
worked in that situation, but it would be better by far to weigh for all
the above reasons. The recipe would assuredly be given in weights; it
would be more convenient to get out the scale than to pack flour into a
quart measuring can; I wouldn't want to risk ruining that much bread
because I got the measurement wrong; I wouldn't know how to adjust
because I'd never seen the dough before.

--Lia

JLove98905

Here's my favorite time saver of late - you CAN make hollandaise in the
microwave.

-jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Nancree

jlove wrote:
>Here's my favorite time saver of late - you CAN make hollandaise in the
>microwave.

How? Please describe method.
Nancree

jlove wrote:
>Here's my favorite time saver of late - you CAN make hollandaise in the
>microwave.

How? Please describe method.