Dave Smith

Default Seveille Oranges

Since it was my suggestion that anyone seeing Seville
Oranges should let everyone know that it's time to make
marmalade, I guess I have been a little remiss. I spotted
them in the store on the weekend. If you are planning on
trying your hand at marmalade you had better get out there
and get them. They are only around for a week or two.

Michael

Are Seville oranges specific to certain locales or should I
be able to find them in Bloomington, Indiana?

Thanks, Michael

Dave Smith

Michael wrote:

> Are Seville oranges specific to certain locales or should I
> be able to find them in Bloomington, Indiana?

Most of them are imported from Spain, though there are some
grown in Florida. They have them here in southern Ontario very
year, so I imagine that they are available in Indiana.

They are by far the best oranges for marmalade, but I don't
know what else you can do with them. They are quite wretched to
eat as you would any other type of orange.

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 19 Jan 2005 07:28:34p, Michael tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Are Seville oranges specific to certain locales or should I
> be able to find them in Bloomington, Indiana?
>
> Thanks, Michael

They are shipped almost everwhere today, but your supermarkets might choose
not to stock them. They have a very short season. Essentially, they are a
sour orange with a bitter note. They are grown in Arizona primarily as
decorative orange trees. I can usually pick them up by the side of the road
for nothing.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 19 Jan 2005 07:34:05p, Dave Smith tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Michael wrote:
>
>> Are Seville oranges specific to certain locales or should I be able to
>> find them in Bloomington, Indiana?

> Most of them are imported from Spain, though there are some
> grown in Florida. They have them here in southern Ontario very
> year, so I imagine that they are available in Indiana.
>
> They are by far the best oranges for marmalade, but I don't
> know what else you can do with them. They are quite wretched to
> eat as you would any other type of orange.

The juice actually makes a rather good orangeade.

Wayne

Michael

Thanks, Wayne and Dave. I will look for them at the Kroger this
weekend. If I find them, I will try some marmalade. If memory
serves me correctly, you've already posted some suggestions on
how to do it.

Michael

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Jan 2005 05:06:51a, Michael tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Thanks, Wayne and Dave. I will look for them at the Kroger this
> weekend. If I find them, I will try some marmalade. If memory
> serves me correctly, you've already posted some suggestions on
> how to do it.
>
> Michael

Michael, if you don't find them try asking the produce manager if he can get
them. Also, while it won't be the same, you can also make marmalade from the
usual oranges you find. Tangarines also make a delicious and less common
marmalade, as well as limes and lemons.

Delia Smith has two of the nicest marmalade recipes I've ever used. You
might like trying one of those.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001223.asp
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001047.asp

Cheers,
Wayne

I just ate three oranges John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 18 15-02-2010 06:37 PM
Hamlin oranges. werwiniskp General Cooking 0 13-04-2009 04:29 PM
Blood oranges Miche[_3_] General Cooking 33 03-04-2009 09:21 PM
oranges werwiniskp Baking 0 27-03-2009 07:53 AM
Seville Oranges Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 11 24-02-2007 11:25 PM