montygram

Default Seeking Avant Garde Cookbook.

I like to try all kinds of experimental things, and I was wondering if
anyone knows of a cookbook with a lot of unusal recipes, particularly
in terms of oddball combinations. I'm going to try an anisette,
ricotta, and creamed corn over linguine idea I've been mulling over -
that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.

Wiblur the Once

"montygram" > wrote in news:1106110413.539331.69850
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I like to try all kinds of experimental things, and I was wondering if
> anyone knows of a cookbook with a lot of unusal recipes, particularly
> in terms of oddball combinations. I'm going to try an anisette,
> ricotta, and creamed corn over linguine idea I've been mulling over -
> that sort of thing.

I recommend you get a copy of The Kitchen Sink Cookbook. It has some
pretty unusual combinations.

It is available on Amazon: (http://tinyurl.com/3otan) for about $12.59
(US)

I have been collecting culinary oddities for some time now, and would
love to share some of what I have found, in the form of links to web
pages, actual recipies, etc.

Let me know if you are interested.

--
"...The job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which
strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater

http://www.aros.net/~jchapman - The Wiblovian Institute of Kibology
Peter Aitken

"montygram" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I like to try all kinds of experimental things, and I was wondering if
> anyone knows of a cookbook with a lot of unusal recipes, particularly
> in terms of oddball combinations. I'm going to try an anisette,
> ricotta, and creamed corn over linguine idea I've been mulling over -
> that sort of thing.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Take a look at the Zuni Cafe cookbook.

--
Peter Aitken

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 18 Jan 2005 20:53:33 -0800, "montygram" >
wrote:

>I like to try all kinds of experimental things, and I was wondering if
>anyone knows of a cookbook with a lot of unusal recipes, particularly
>in terms of oddball combinations. I'm going to try an anisette,
>ricotta, and creamed corn over linguine idea I've been mulling over -
>that sort of thing.

How is a cookbook going to help a dish you are inventing. You will
just have to try it. Maybe more than once to get it the way you want.
Just don't inflict it on guests until you are happy with it yourself.
DAMHIKT

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Be careful. The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today." --Former mayor Ciancia
Chris Shenton

The French Laundry Cookbook has some unusual combinations and
challenging techniques.

Michael Odom

wrote:

>I like to try all kinds of experimental things, and I was wondering if
>anyone knows of a cookbook with a lot of unusal recipes, particularly
>in terms of oddball combinations. I'm going to try an anisette,
>ricotta, and creamed corn over linguine idea I've been mulling over -
>that sort of thing.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Maybe some of the cooler fusion cookbooks would suit you. Then
there's always Marinetti's Futurist Cookbook.

Dare you to search for it on Amazon.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Kate B

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
> "montygram" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I like to try all kinds of experimental things, and I was wondering if
> > anyone knows of a cookbook with a lot of unusal recipes, particularly
> > in terms of oddball combinations. I'm going to try an anisette,
> > ricotta, and creamed corn over linguine idea I've been mulling over -
> > that sort of thing.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> Take a look at the Zuni Cafe cookbook.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

The Zuni Cafe cookbook is anything *but* avant garde. It's pretty classic
from a combined Meditteranean perspective although it might use ingredients
some are unfamiliar with if not conversent with traditional Italian, French
etc cooking. Everything I've made from this cookbook has been a success and
it uses down to earth, tried and true flavor combinations and cooking
methods. The book starts with a section on making stocks and sauces -
basic chicken, pork, beef, fowl and fish stocks. The first recipe (after
stocks) is for a mignonette sauce - the classic accompaniment for raw
oysters. The appetizers suggest a variety of cured meats like prosciutto
served with melon and a drop of sambuca or prosciutto with roasted figs and
a Catalan hazelnut picada. One of my favorite special ocassion appetizers
is the Gougeres (again classic French cheese puffs) stuffed with arugala,
bacon and pickled onions. Her salads are creative but not "out there". One
of her standout main courses is roasted chicken with bread salad. It
incorporates stuffing fresh herbs under the skin of the chicken and salting
the bird at least 24 hours before cooking plus serving it with a terrific
bread salad (her take on panzanella) that is dressed in a vinaigrette and
chicken drippings. A great dish? Absolutely! Avant garde? Not at all!

Avant garde cooking is quite different. It's leading light would be Ferran
Adria of Spain's El Bulli restaurant. He has recently (in the last two
years) published a huge cookbook but I don't believe it has been translated
into English. Oscar Caballero has published a book entitled "Text and
Pretext in Textures - el bulli, soler & adria in context". Go to
eGullet.org for more information on Ferra and avante garde cooking. If your
interested in this type of cooking, that is *true* avant garde, you need to
become proficient in a host of new techniques and flavor combinations. You
also may need to invest in some special equipment. The "foams" that Ferra
invented require ISI cannisters and CO2 cartridges. In Rick Tramonto's
"Amuse Bouche" he has several recipes for foams including artiuchoke
barigoule with goat cheese foam or wasabi foam with tuna and wasabi tobiko.
Again I recommend eGullet. They have a whole forum devoted to the opening
of Grant Achatz' new restaurant in Chicago. He's another leading proponent
of avant garde. Judy Rodgers wrote a great cookbook in the Zuni Cafe
cookbook but it ain't avant garde ;-).

Kate

i get f&w magazine, and ferran and his spanish avant garde compatriots,
and their american prodigies were featured in Food & Wine Feb 2005 (and
possibly an issue several months before as well) along with some of his
recipes. I know is not a cookbook, but it should be possible to get a
back issue assuming you don't already have it.

______
http://www.indiecookbooks.com
nothing but reviews of independent cookbooks from churches, community
groups, and self-published authors.