Scet

Default Abundance of chilis

Hi, I have an abundance of fresh chilis due to some great growing weather. I
still have some pickled from last year so would prefer a good sauce recipe
(not sweet) to use them in. Actually any great recipe that uses a few chilis
or more would be great. Anyone have any ideas or recipes?

The chilis I have are jalepeno and birds eye. I have tried drying them in
the past and and pickling. The pickling methods I tried had a 50/50 result,
if anyone has some tried and true pickling methods I guess, if worse came to
worse, I will pickle them again as I would hate to see them go to waste.

Scet

DC.

There's a bottle of Portuguese Piri-piri sauce around the house, the Mrs
likes it on her grilled chicken but being the tight fisted person that i am,
i read the label & contents & makes my own. Here's how i did it... changing
it a bit according to the great Musgovian tradition.

Chillis ( all sorts & types but i had Jaimacan scotch bonnets)
spring onions/scallions is what you call them.
ginger
garlic
a few pickled red peppers(bell is what you call them) or just fresh.
salt & sugar
a drop of wine vinegar or any type of vinegar.
and whatever else you fancy... coriander, parsley, anchovies, capers etc.
they're all good.

Blitz the lot in a blender & marinate your choice of meat for a few hours if
not longer. Oven cook, grill, BBQ etc.

If you make a large batch, pour it all into a clean sterilsed jar & let it
settle before pouring some veg. oil over to seal the top of the sauce &
prevent it from going off. You can also use this as a spicy dip anytime.

hope this helps.

DC.

"Scet" > wrote in message
> Hi, I have an abundance of fresh chilis due to some great growing weather.

> still have some pickled from last year so would prefer a good sauce recipe
> (not sweet) to use them in. Actually any great recipe that uses a few

chilis
> or more would be great. Anyone have any ideas or recipes?
>
> The chilis I have are jalepeno and birds eye. I have tried drying them in
> the past and and pickling. The pickling methods I tried had a 50/50

result,
> if anyone has some tried and true pickling methods I guess, if worse came

> worse, I will pickle them again as I would hate to see them go to waste.
>
> Scet

Joel Smith

hi....is it possible to mail me some of your SMALLEST red birds eye (prik
kee nu) chilis???? I need to have some plants to grow and could use the
seeds if the chili is in good condition. I am in Florida and hope you are in
the states as well. I just returned from Thailand but was afraid of bringing
the seeds in to the USA customs really does check everything theses days.
If you can do this, please answer to this newsgroup so I can contact you and
tell you where to mail the precious chil and seeds and also send you some
renumeration for your trouble joel
"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> "Scet" > wrote in message
> > Hi, I have an abundance of fresh chilis due to some great growing

weather.
> > still have some pickled from last year so would prefer a good sauce

recipe
> > (not sweet) to use them in. Actually any great recipe that uses a few
> > chilis
> > or more would be great. Anyone have any ideas or recipes?
> >
> > The chilis I have are jalepeno and birds eye. I have tried drying them

in
> > the past and and pickling. The pickling methods I tried had a 50/50
> > result,
> > if anyone has some tried and true pickling methods I guess, if worse

came
> > worse, I will pickle them again as I would hate to see them go to waste.
> >
> > Scet

> Smoke them:
>
> Go here and then click on smoking at home.
>
> http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/chipotle.htm
>
> Dimitri

notbob

On 2005-01-18, Joel Smith > wrote:

> tell you where to mail the precious chil and seeds and also send you some

Have you shopped around. We have fresh whole Thai chiles in our local
supermarket.

nb
notbob

On 2005-01-18, Joel Smith > wrote:

> tell you where to mail the precious chil and seeds and also send you some

Have you shopped around. We have fresh whole Thai chiles in our local
supermarket.

nb

DC.

I think Scet is in Australia judging by the .com.au address but no worries,
Nick 'Prik kee noo' Cramer is the man you're after, just ping for him in
either this newsgroup or over at a.bin.food.

DC.

"Joel Smith" > wrote in message
k.net...
> hi....is it possible to mail me some of your SMALLEST red birds eye (prik
> kee nu) chilis???? I need to have some plants to grow and could use the
> seeds if the chili is in good condition. I am in Florida and hope you are

in
> the states as well. I just returned from Thailand but was afraid of

bringing
> the seeds in to the USA customs really does check everything theses

days.
> If you can do this, please answer to this newsgroup so I can contact you

and
> tell you where to mail the precious chil and seeds and also send you some
> renumeration for your trouble joel
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > "Scet" > wrote in message
> > > Hi, I have an abundance of fresh chilis due to some great growing

> weather.
> > > still have some pickled from last year so would prefer a good sauce

> recipe
> > > (not sweet) to use them in. Actually any great recipe that uses a few
> > > chilis
> > > or more would be great. Anyone have any ideas or recipes?
> > >
> > > The chilis I have are jalepeno and birds eye. I have tried drying them

> in
> > > the past and and pickling. The pickling methods I tried had a 50/50
> > > result,
> > > if anyone has some tried and true pickling methods I guess, if worse

> came
> > > worse, I will pickle them again as I would hate to see them go to

waste.

> > > Scet

> > Smoke them:
> >
> > Go here and then click on smoking at home.
> >
> > http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/chipotle.htm
> >
> > Dimitri

Amarantha

"Scet" > wrote in
:

> Hi, I have an abundance of fresh chilis due to some great growing
> weather. I still have some pickled from last year so would prefer a
> good sauce recipe (not sweet) to use them in. Actually any great
> recipe that uses a few chilis or more would be great. Anyone have any
> ideas or recipes?
>
> The chilis I have are jalepeno and birds eye. I have tried drying them
> in the past and and pickling. The pickling methods I tried had a 50/50
> result, if anyone has some tried and true pickling methods I guess, if
> worse came to worse, I will pickle them again as I would hate to see
> them go to waste.
>
> Scet

We tend to make chilli jam or freeze ours when we have too many. They're
usually locotos, which are juicy like the jalepenos and I suspect the
thinner-walled birds eyes would freeze even better. They'd be a bit
squidgy for eg slicing into a salad, but are great for chilli stews.

The jam recipe we use has some palm sugar in it, but isn't terribly
sweet, especially the way we make it - using way more chillies than it
calls for. I don't have the recipe on me, but it's in one of those
little cookbooks that they sell at supermarket checkouts - a thai one
with a chicken and basil dish on the cover. The dish is called "Chicken
with chilli jam and cashews", and includes the jam recipe.

The other main way I use it is to make large batches of stew (I call it
'chilli', but the chilli purists probably wouldn't):
Cook a couple of chopped onions and about 300-500g of mince in some oil
inna big pot, and add a half-dozen cloves of crushed garlic and a little
milk. While the milk is being absorbed, add a chopped head of celery (or
a half-head if you're not such a huge fan), a few chopped carrots and a
chopped capsicum or two. Once the milk is no longer in danger of
curdling, add some wine, some stock, a couple of cans of red kidney beans
and a couple of cans of chopped tomatoes. Finish with as many chillies
as you like and a good pinch of cinnamon, cook until the whole thing is
as soupy or stewy as you like it. Serve with flatbread, corn chips, rice
or toast, and with cheese on top.
I think it's the garlic and cinnamon that make this so addictive - I call
'em my natural msg.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

nil illegitimi carborundum
mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." > wrote in :

> There's a bottle of Portuguese Piri-piri sauce around the house, the
> Mrs likes it on her grilled chicken but being the tight fisted person
> that i am, i read the label & contents & makes my own. Here's how i
> did it... changing it a bit according to the great Musgovian
> tradition.
>
> Chillis ( all sorts & types but i had Jaimacan scotch bonnets)
> spring onions/scallions is what you call them.
> ginger
> garlic
> a few pickled red peppers(bell is what you call them) or just fresh.
> salt & sugar
> a drop of wine vinegar or any type of vinegar.
> and whatever else you fancy... coriander, parsley, anchovies, capers
> etc. they're all good.
>
> Blitz the lot in a blender & marinate your choice of meat for a few
> hours if not longer. Oven cook, grill, BBQ etc.
>
> If you make a large batch, pour it all into a clean sterilsed jar &
> let it settle before pouring some veg. oil over to seal the top of the
> sauce & prevent it from going off. You can also use this as a spicy
> dip anytime.

Sounds wonderful. Maybe I should start growing chillies. %^D

sq
DC.

<snip> dip anytime.

> Sounds wonderful. Maybe I should start growing chillies. %^D
>
> sq

I don't know where you live but the climate here in the UK is just about OK
for it. I normally start around now or in Feb. Just go to a Chinese
supermarket & buy some chillis, plant some of the seeds into a small growing
tray or pot & by April/May they're big enough to go into a bigger pot &
chance going outside. By June/July onwards you should have a nice crop. I
normally grow Thai or the Chinese large red chillis but without a doubt, the
Jaimacan scotch bonnets, i think you call them Habs in the States are my
favourite because they are the hottest, just one of those fresh off the
plant is enough to fire up my sambal blacan & send me reaching for a bottle
of tiger or lime juice.

DC.

Scet

"Scet" > wrote in message
> Hi, I have an abundance of fresh chilis due to some great growing weather.

> still have some pickled from last year so would prefer a good sauce recipe
> (not sweet) to use them in. Actually any great recipe that uses a few

chilis
> or more would be great. Anyone have any ideas or recipes?
>
> The chilis I have are jalepeno and birds eye. I have tried drying them in
> the past and and pickling. The pickling methods I tried had a 50/50

result,
> if anyone has some tried and true pickling methods I guess, if worse came

> worse, I will pickle them again as I would hate to see them go to waste.
>
> Scet
>
>Thanks to everyone that responded.....I will definately try what has been

suggested.

Joel, sorry mate, I am in Australia so won't be able to send you any
unfortunately.

Scet

mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." > wrote in
:

> <snip> dip anytime.

>> Sounds wonderful. Maybe I should start growing chillies. %^D

> I don't know where you live but the climate here in the UK is just
> about OK for it. I normally start around now or in Feb. Just go to a
> Chinese supermarket & buy some chillis, plant some of the seeds into a
> small growing tray or pot & by April/May they're big enough to go into
> a bigger pot & chance going outside. By June/July onwards you should
> have a nice crop. I normally grow Thai or the Chinese large red
> chillis but without a doubt, the Jaimacan scotch bonnets, i think you
> call them Habs in the States are my favourite because they are the
> hottest, just one of those fresh off the plant is enough to fire up my
> sambal blacan & send me reaching for a bottle of tiger or lime juice.

Barley water will probably soothe that burn ...

sq
DC.

<snip>
> Barley water will probably soothe that burn ...
>
> sq

Ahhh.... Barley Water, that brings back memories, like tinned carnation
milk, rose water, sponge cake, fruit cakes, kari pup, nonya kuih all laid
out over tables covered in oilcloths & RTS blarring in the background as
uncles & aunties joget around to P. Ramlee.

DC.

mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." > wrote in :

> <snip>
>> Barley water will probably soothe that burn ...
>>
>> sq

> Ahhh.... Barley Water, that brings back memories, like tinned carnation
> milk, rose water, sponge cake, fruit cakes, kari pup, nonya kuih all

laid
> out over tables covered in oilcloths & RTS blarring in the background

as
> uncles & aunties joget around to P. Ramlee.

Marie biscuits dipped in tea sweetened with condensed milk - the kari pup
guy at the corner of Selegie Road near the old Krishna Vilas was so good,
I even dreamed I was buying kari pup from him last night.

The joy of peeling off each layer of the layer cake and eating it -
drinking chendol from the street stalls - the "frog's egg" drink - chin
chow chwee and the boy who announced the chee chong fan with his wooden
clappers and sing-song.

Going home this year for sure. Gotta make sure boyflen can get fresh
durian. Otherwise he will run off with someone who provides fresh durian
on a regular basis. %^)

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." > wrote in
:

> <snip>
>> Marie biscuits dipped in tea sweetened with condensed milk - the kari
>> pup guy at the corner of Selegie Road near the old Krishna Vilas was
>> so good, I even dreamed I was buying kari pup from him last night.

> Do you mean the old Rex cinema?

Yes! Yes!!

> the kari pup with a whole egg yolk
> inside! Mmmm........ drool. BTW... there is still a stall there
> selling it but i would imagine it's not as good as before. My
> favourite ones now are in the basement of that huge Japanese shopping
> place along Orchard Rd, Takashimaya. In the food mall downstairs,
> there's a kari pup stall selling 'modern or westernised' styled pups
> that have very flaky pastry in layers & folds. The filling is good too
> but it's the pastry you wanna be paying attention to!! I'm sure they
> have branches of this kari pup stall all over town now. So just ask
> your family or friends.

Hardly any more left, lor. Everybody either sudah mati or gone somewhere
else. Hopeless only, one kind.

>> The joy of peeling off each layer of the layer cake and eating it -

> The rainbow nonya kuih version i assume & not the Indonesian Kuih
> Lapis Batavia. Both my favs too. So it looks like a trip to Katong in
> search of old nonya bakeries or maybe to Bengawan Solo's.

Of course the nonya type! Went to Katong last time and bought so much
pineapple jam tarts, makan until nak mati, I tell you!

>> drinking chendol from the street stalls - the "frog's egg" drink -
>> chin chow chwee.

> I bet you'll be having glasses of that cooling chin chow herbal drink
> with all the black jelly... you'll need to with all the heaty foods
> you'll be eating. Mmm... i'll have to wait till the summer to make
> chendol again, Malayu style just coconut milk, gula melaka, pandan
> leaves & green chendol jelly, none of that Chinese version where they
> add all sorts of stuff in like sweetcorn & mung beans etc. I think in
> KL they call that ABC? i still prefer mine kampong style.

That's the kind I like. We used to call them "green worms" when we were
kids! Eh, I spend you, want to drink green worms juice er not?

>> and the boy who announced the chee chong fan with his wooden
>> clappers and sing-song.

> Thats going way back... i think the only people doing stuff like that
> these days are the guni man but i think they just hoot their horns
> these days, no longer a song & dance routine.

I orang tua, dah, I remember all that.

>> Going home this year for sure. Gotta make sure boyflen can get fresh
>> durian. Otherwise he will run off with someone who provides fresh
>> durian on a regular basis. %^)

> Oh dear... better steer him away from the notorious geylang area. Some
> of the best lew lian stalls are there because of the 'night trade', so
> if he gets stuck in a lew lian stall there... his gaze might wonder in
> search of 'Nightingales' (Mainland chickens if you know what i mean)
> as reported by some local media sources. Heeheeee. i just love all the
> 'nick names' they use, it's so funny.

Yes, I know the "nightingales"! Don't worry, he's more interested in
durian than perempuan. Although, as we used to say, durian jatoh sarong
naik!

sq
DC.

<snip>
> Hardly any more left, lor. Everybody either sudah mati or gone somewhere
> else. Hopeless only, one kind.

go make some new friends... very easy, sooo many yaukwees there, won't be
short of a makan buddy.

> Of course the nonya type! Went to Katong last time and bought so much
> pineapple jam tarts, makan until nak mati, I tell you!

Katong.... laksa, nonya kuih(red house), tau kwa pau... Heaven!

> That's the kind I like. We used to call them "green worms" when we were
> kids! Eh, I spend you, want to drink green worms juice er not?

Wah... spend me ah? you go Mama stall & play tikum2 izit? win how much? can
spend me greenworms some more. I don want greenworms, spend me ice kacang
instead, plenty2 rose syrup & inside kacang & atap-chi must be like golli
size one arr, if not where got shiok.

> I orang tua, dah, I remember all that.

are you sure? i remember you say you very ulu one, play in longkang & live
in ulu2 place, i think you not orang tua lah, i think you orang asli man.

> Yes, I know the "nightingales"! Don't worry, he's more interested in
> durian than perempuan. Although, as we used to say, durian jatoh sarong
> naik!

Hwahahaaaa.... in the old days, sarong naik when durian jatoh(squat & eat)
is true, but in this other place where the nightingales hang out... if his
sarong ada naik, lu suda habis.... you better bring big stick to hantam him!
or bbetter... buang durian at him lah.

DC.

mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." > wrote in
:

> <snip>

>> Hardly any more left, lor. Everybody either sudah mati or gone
>> somewhere else. Hopeless only, one kind.

> go make some new friends... very easy, sooo many yaukwees there, won't
> be short of a makan buddy.

So true. %^D

>> Of course the nonya type! Went to Katong last time and bought so much
>> pineapple jam tarts, makan until nak mati, I tell you!

> Katong.... laksa, nonya kuih(red house), tau kwa pau... Heaven!

Specially went to Katong just to eat the laksa. Of course I went to the red
house to try the nonya kuih-muih. Adoo! Sedap s'kali.

>> That's the kind I like. We used to call them "green worms" when we
>> were kids! Eh, I spend you, want to drink green worms juice er not?

> Wah... spend me ah? you go Mama stall & play tikum2 izit? win how
> much? can spend me greenworms some more. I don want greenworms, spend
> me ice kacang instead, plenty2 rose syrup & inside kacang & atap-chi
> must be like golli size one arr, if not where got shiok.

>> I orang tua, dah, I remember all that.

> are you sure? i remember you say you very ulu one, play in longkang &
> live in ulu2 place, i think you not orang tua lah, i think you orang
> asli man.

Chey, say me until like dat one. OK, it's true. Gua satu kind orang asli.

>> Yes, I know the "nightingales"! Don't worry, he's more interested in
>> durian than perempuan. Although, as we used to say, durian jatoh
>> sarong naik!

> Hwahahaaaa.... in the old days, sarong naik when durian jatoh(squat &
> eat) is true, but in this other place where the nightingales hang
> out... if his sarong ada naik, lu suda habis.... you better bring big
> stick to hantam him! or bbetter... buang durian at him lah.

Buang durian garanteeee kena!

sq

Ancho abundance Ema Nymton General Cooking 11 23-12-2012 09:56 PM
Abundance of chilis Scet Asian Cooking 20 04-02-2005 05:24 AM
Abundance of chilis Scet Asian Cooking 0 18-01-2005 10:00 AM
Abundance of chilis Scet General Cooking 0 18-01-2005 10:00 AM
HELP!!! an Abundance of MahiMahi Lynn Gifford General Cooking 28 08-10-2004 07:28 PM