TJ

Default Eye Round Roast.....

Any ideas for how to cook an Eye Round Roast? Should I treat it like
Brisket and use some of the recipes suggested here ?.......I have
never cooked this kind of meat before.....it's a relatively cheap cut
of meat so I guess if you just put in the oven and cook it till done
it will probably come out tough as hell....

TJ
bumblebee4451

Regarding tough as hell......if a meat is like that you just need to
cook it at a long low cooking time. Yesterday I cooked I a chuck roast
like a pot roast. I put it in an oval cast iron dutch oven after
searing it briefly in olive oil on top of stove. (same pot - all
metal). I put in one envelop of onion soup mix and a little water. I
cooked it on 250 essentially all afternoon. One hour before it was to
be eaten, I added chopped celery, potatoes, carrots, turnips. added a
bit more water. I cooked about 45 min. more. I removed all from pot
and kept warm on plate and made gravy with cornstarch and water. It
was excellent. You just need a long slow cook time. Or put in crock
pot but you can do slow cooking in the oven. A heavy cast iron pot
with a lid (like Le crueset) works best. For a cheaper copy of this
kind of cookwear, I have Country Cottage sold on hsn. Its non stick,
heavy and works well for slow oven cooking. I like to cook where I put
everything in a pot and I don't really even need to check it that much.
(add a little water)

Michael Odom

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:14:59 -0500, TJ > wrote:

>Any ideas for how to cook an Eye Round Roast? Should I treat it like
>Brisket and use some of the recipes suggested here ?.......I have
>never cooked this kind of meat before.....it's a relatively cheap cut
>of meat so I guess if you just put in the oven and cook it till done
>it will probably come out tough as hell....
>
>TJ

I posted this in July of '98:

[begin quote]

I got an eye of round roast, poked holes in it with a knife, and
stuffed it with slivers of garlic. Much garlic. No more garlic than
that, even. The plan was to cook it outside to avoid heating the
house with stove/oven fires.

Then I made a marinade of:

1/4 cup brown sugar
6-8 pepper corns
2 cloves
2 dried chiles (medium hot, red ones like japones)
1 stalk lemongrass, minced
juice of 2 limes
1 Tblsp nuoc mam
1/4 lime with zest, minced
(approximate measures)

All this was buzzed in the blender and poured over the garlicky beef.

I drank one glass of water and opened a beer.

I grilled the roast to an internal temp of 140F (about 37F higher than
the air's temp, BTW), and let it rest.

While it was grilling, I sliced radishes, red onion, and cucumber.
Put these into a bowl and splashed them with rice wine vinegar. Then
I made a vinaigrette of fresh basil (almost burned up, but still there
in spots of the garden), fresh mint (bullet proof, that mint), frsh
red chiles (medium hot hybrid), lime juice, nuoc mam, and olive oil.
Just before the meat was hot enough in the center, I put a trimmed
bunch of green onions on to char them moderately. As the meat rested,
I heated a couple of loaves of French bread on the grill.

I sliced the beef as thin as possible and invited the family to make
sandwiches with lettuce, the cooled beef, the marinated veg, the green
onoins, and the vinaigrette.

[end quote]

Looking back on it, I'd say that 140F is too warm. Better more rare
than that, I'd say.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Michael Odom

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:14:59 -0500, TJ > wrote:

>Any ideas for how to cook an Eye Round Roast? Should I treat it like
>Brisket and use some of the recipes suggested here ?.......I have
>never cooked this kind of meat before.....it's a relatively cheap cut
>of meat so I guess if you just put in the oven and cook it till done
>it will probably come out tough as hell....
>
>TJ

I posted this in July of '98:

[begin quote]

I got an eye of round roast, poked holes in it with a knife, and
stuffed it with slivers of garlic. Much garlic. No more garlic than
that, even. The plan was to cook it outside to avoid heating the
house with stove/oven fires.

Then I made a marinade of:

1/4 cup brown sugar
6-8 pepper corns
2 cloves
2 dried chiles (medium hot, red ones like japones)
1 stalk lemongrass, minced
juice of 2 limes
1 Tblsp nuoc mam
1/4 lime with zest, minced
(approximate measures)

All this was buzzed in the blender and poured over the garlicky beef.

I drank one glass of water and opened a beer.

I grilled the roast to an internal temp of 140F (about 37F higher than
the air's temp, BTW), and let it rest.

While it was grilling, I sliced radishes, red onion, and cucumber.
Put these into a bowl and splashed them with rice wine vinegar. Then
I made a vinaigrette of fresh basil (almost burned up, but still there
in spots of the garden), fresh mint (bullet proof, that mint), frsh
red chiles (medium hot hybrid), lime juice, nuoc mam, and olive oil.
Just before the meat was hot enough in the center, I put a trimmed
bunch of green onions on to char them moderately. As the meat rested,
I heated a couple of loaves of French bread on the grill.

I sliced the beef as thin as possible and invited the family to make
sandwiches with lettuce, the cooled beef, the marinated veg, the green
onoins, and the vinaigrette.

[end quote]

Looking back on it, I'd say that 140F is too warm. Better more rare
than that, I'd say.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

TJ

Thank you both for your help

cheers

TJ

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:14:59 -0500, TJ > wrote:

>Any ideas for how to cook an Eye Round Roast? Should I treat it like
>Brisket and use some of the recipes suggested here ?.......I have
>never cooked this kind of meat before.....it's a relatively cheap cut
>of meat so I guess if you just put in the oven and cook it till done
>it will probably come out tough as hell....
>
>TJ

TJ

Thank you both for your help

cheers