ImmaterialGirl

Default any tips for baking potato gnocchi?

Going to attempt making gnocchi from scratch, then baking it as a
quattro formaggi...the recipe I have calls for penne, but I'm going to
sub the gnocchi instead. How long should I boil the gnocchi prior to
baking it? Is it okay to cook it all the way through, ie, will it
still hold up in the oven? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Ana

Outdoor Grilling & Cooking

My experience with gnocchi is that it's quite simple to make - though a
pretty long process. You want to make sure you steam the potatos and
when you make the gnocchi.. that you've let them dry out as much as
possible.. thereby reconstituting it with water as needed, versus
starting out with potato mash.

Here's a link to making it:

http://italianfood.about.com/od/gnocchi/r/blr0162.htm

As far as baking it - my question is - are you baking it in a sauce?
If you over boil it it will more than likely become chewy after
baking.... ahhh the conundrum.

Wish I could be of more assistance on the baking side.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
www.outdooculinary.com

ImmaterialGirl

Thanks for the link and the tip: maybe I'll try this gnocchi recipe
instead of the one I have...

I will be baking it in a 4 cheese sauce (cream, butter, cheeses) but
yes, I was concerned about it getting chewy as well...think I could
bake it without boiling first? Only needs to bake about 7 minutes, to
brown the topping...

Thanks again,
Ana

ImmaterialGirl wrote:
> Thanks for the link and the tip: maybe I'll try this gnocchi recipe
> instead of the one I have...
>
> I will be baking it in a 4 cheese sauce (cream, butter, cheeses) but
> yes, I was concerned about it getting chewy as well...think I could
> bake it without boiling first? Only needs to bake about 7 minutes,

> brown the topping...
>
> Thanks again,
> Ana

No way! Boil them first. I don't think 7 minutes will hurt them. When
I make gnocchi I use only flour, no spuds, and they are always tender,
even with longer baking. If anyone is interested I will post a recipe.

ImmaterialGirl wrote:
> Thanks for the link and the tip: maybe I'll try this gnocchi recipe
> instead of the one I have...
>
> I will be baking it in a 4 cheese sauce (cream, butter, cheeses) but
> yes, I was concerned about it getting chewy as well...think I could
> bake it without boiling first? Only needs to bake about 7 minutes,

> brown the topping...
>
> Thanks again,
> Ana

No way! Boil them first. I don't think 7 minutes will hurt them. When
I make gnocchi I use only flour, no spuds, and they are always tender,
even with longer baking. If anyone is interested I will post a recipe.

Vox Humana

"ImmaterialGirl" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Going to attempt making gnocchi from scratch, then baking it as a
> quattro formaggi...the recipe I have calls for penne, but I'm going to
> sub the gnocchi instead. How long should I boil the gnocchi prior to
> baking it? Is it okay to cook it all the way through, ie, will it
> still hold up in the oven? Suggestions?
> Thanks in advance,

I find that it only takes a couple of minutes to cook home made gnocchi.
You put them in a large pot of boiling water and whey they float to the top,
the are done. Frozen gnocchi take just a little longer. Therefore, there
is essentially no difference between partially cooking them and fully
cooking them. I would be concerned that they would taste pasty if you
didn't fully cook them. Boiling them should gelatinize the starches and
help them hold together. They won't be tough unless you over-work the dough
or add too much flour.

Vox Humana

"ImmaterialGirl" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Going to attempt making gnocchi from scratch, then baking it as a
> quattro formaggi...the recipe I have calls for penne, but I'm going to
> sub the gnocchi instead. How long should I boil the gnocchi prior to
> baking it? Is it okay to cook it all the way through, ie, will it
> still hold up in the oven? Suggestions?
> Thanks in advance,

I find that it only takes a couple of minutes to cook home made gnocchi.
You put them in a large pot of boiling water and whey they float to the top,
the are done. Frozen gnocchi take just a little longer. Therefore, there
is essentially no difference between partially cooking them and fully
cooking them. I would be concerned that they would taste pasty if you
didn't fully cook them. Boiling them should gelatinize the starches and
help them hold together. They won't be tough unless you over-work the dough
or add too much flour.

Vox Humana