Old 12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
big macbeth

Default what should be at the bottom of food pyramid?

i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread, rice,
and such. agree?

Old 12-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Juhana Harju

big macbeth wrote:
i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread, rice,
and such. agree?

That is actually the case in the Ornish Food Pyramid.

http://www.veggit.com/

I would add nuts and fatty fish/ fish oils to the Pyramid.

--
Juhana
Old 12-01-2005, 08:59 PM
notbob

Crushed cross-posters

Old 12-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Lucy

"big macbeth" wrote in message
ups.com...
i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread, rice,
and such. agree?

Agreed. But, don't look for the gov't to change this anytime soon.
The pyramid isn't designed for the health of the nation, but rather
what is 'cost effective', so they can provide cheap slop for school lunch
programs, etc, and other gov't programs.
I once did a research paper on food additives/preservatives, and the
USDA/FDA, and discovered what I should have guessed long ago.
Uncle Sam doesn't care about your health. Uncle Sam would rather alter
serving sizes than force manufacturers to change then additives they use,
and that is just the tip of the iceberg.
So.. let's all be good citizens and eat more than a serving size of foods
that contain additives that could be harmful if eaten in large quantities..
so we can all croak before drawing social security, like nice obedient
citizens. smirk Ya, the info I found doing the paper made me kinda
cynical where the gov't is concerned.
lucy

Old 12-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Gal Called J.J.

Crossposting removed:

One time on Usenet, "big macbeth" said:

i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread, rice,
and such. agree?

Nope -- I think they ought to scrap the stupid thing altogether...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

Old 12-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Robert Klute

On 12 Jan 2005 12:45:34 -0800, "big macbeth"
wrote:

i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread, rice,
and such. agree?

Have a look at the following URL:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio.../pyramids.html

You will notice that white rice, bread, potatoes, pasta, and sugar have
been moved 'up' to "eat sparingly". Now whole grains and plant oils are
at the bottom. Fruit and vegies are next.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Nola

On 12-Jan-2005, "big macbeth" wrote:

i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread, rice,
and such. agree?

Only if white bread and white rice is what the current arrangement
intended. However, I am sure the intent was the use of whole grains which
are vastly superior as the foundation. Fruit would be terrible in those
quantities because of high fructose and relative ease of conversion to
sugar. However, its your bottom - you may put on it what you like.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old 12-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, Juhana Harju wrote the following -._
big macbeth wrote:
i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread, rice,
and such. agree?

That is actually the case in the Ornish Food Pyramid.

http://www.veggit.com/

I can't trust any food pyramid that doesn't have carcass on it.
That little mouse on level two isn't carcass, it is compitition.

I would add nuts and fatty fish/ fish oils to the Pyramid.

You would have ot add fish before fatty fish could be added.

--
.-')) asciipr0n.com/fp ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
Old 13-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Ruddell

In . com big macbeth
wrote:
i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread, rice,
and such. agree?

Anything by McCains...

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
Old 13-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Lucy

Bullshit
"Karen" wrote in message
ups.com...
School lunch programs are a drop in the bucket when you compare that
cost or savings to the cost that obesity is causing... health care,
work production, etc.

Uncle Sam does care about health because poor public health is costly.
Karen

Old 13-01-2005, 01:43 AM

i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread, rice,
and such. agree?

I vote for beer, garlic, chile, and salt pork.
D.M.

Read "The Obesity Myth" by Paul Campos.

Old 13-01-2005, 03:32 AM
zuuum

wrote:

i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread, rice,
and such. agree?

Have a look at the following URL:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio.../pyramids.html

You will notice that white rice, bread, potatoes, pasta, and sugar have
been moved 'up' to "eat sparingly". Now whole grains and plant oils are
at the bottom. Fruit and vegies are next.

Looks good - regular exercise and whole foods as its base levels.

Old 13-01-2005, 03:49 AM
Doug Freyburger

Gal Called J.J. wrote:
big macbeth said:

i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread,

rice,
and such. agree?

Nope -- I think they ought to scrap the stupid thing altogether...

A food pyramid should never have been written. It's idiocy wrapped
in politics and/or money interests.

The idea of "food groups" is equally trash. Eating grass gets its own
foog group and gets declared important? Hello indigestion for many
and goodbye healthy teeth for many. Eating grass does have some
good points but it is far from essential.

Old 13-01-2005, 05:58 AM
Blair P. Houghton

wrote:
i think fruits and veggies should be at the bottom, not bread, rice,
and such. agree?

Have a look at the following URL:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio.../pyramids.html

You will notice that white rice, bread, potatoes, pasta, and sugar have
been moved 'up' to "eat sparingly". Now whole grains and plant oils are
at the bottom. Fruit and vegies are next.

They've bought into the glycemic-index fad.

The whole "N servings per day" thing is utterly stupid.

Every meal has to be balanced properly, combining protein,
starchy carbs, and fibrous carbs, or you might as well
eat 2000 kcal per day of fried chicken and pancakes at
one sitting.

--Blair
"And the pyramid is really a triangle."