Old 13-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Cherrybounce

Default Ordering wine online?

Do any of you have any experience ordering wine or spirits online? I'm
looking for a particular wine I can't find locally and I would like to
know if anyone has had good results with an online store?

Thanks.

Old 14-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Dan Abel

In article .com,
"Cherrybounce" wrote:

Do any of you have any experience ordering wine or spirits online? I'm
looking for a particular wine I can't find locally and I would like to
know if anyone has had good results with an online store?

I haven't ordered online, but I've shopped in person at BevMo here in
California, and browsed their web page. In the past there have been
restrictions on shipping alcohol between states, but I don't know if that
is still true. You might want to consider posting what state you live in.

http://www.bevmo.com

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Old 14-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Siobhan Perricone

On 13 Jan 2005 14:47:44 -0800, "Cherrybounce" wrote:

Do any of you have any experience ordering wine or spirits online? I'm
looking for a particular wine I can't find locally and I would like to
know if anyone has had good results with an online store?

I've never done so, but you live in the US, you should make a point of
ensuring you're not living in a state that has rules about what alcholic
beverages you're allowed to buy from where. You could violate state liquor
laws without even realizing it.

In a lot of states it's illegal to mail order liquor because it's
transporting booze across state lines.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

Old 14-01-2005, 01:27 AM
JimLane

Siobhan Perricone wrote:

In a lot of states it's illegal to mail order liquor because it's
transporting booze across state lines.

More often than not, states with official package stores do not like the
loss of revenue when it comes from outside and not through their stores.

jim

Old 14-01-2005, 02:23 AM
George

JimLane wrote:
Siobhan Perricone wrote:

In a lot of states it's illegal to mail order liquor because it's
transporting booze across state lines.

More often than not, states with official package stores do not like the
loss of revenue when it comes from outside and not through their stores.

jim

Yes, there are only 2 of those states left and I am in one of them (PA).

Old 14-01-2005, 02:51 AM
Jessica V.

George wrote:

JimLane wrote:

Siobhan Perricone wrote:

In a lot of states it's illegal to mail order liquor because it's
transporting booze across state lines.

More often than not, states with official package stores do not like
the loss of revenue when it comes from outside and not through their
stores.

jim

Yes, there are only 2 of those states left and I am in one of them (PA).

Maine finally closed the state run liquor stores two years ago. Still
can't have booze shipped into the state and there are limits on what one
can bring in from NH where alcohol taxes are MUCH lower. The state
police used to sit in the parking lot of the Portsmouth, NH liquor store
and follow and pull over Mainers who'd purchased more than their
allotment as soon as they crossed the state line. The usual punishment
was simply confiscation. It'd pop up in the news when some couple got
busted buying champage for a wedding.

Jessica

Old 14-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Bob

Cherrybounce asked:

Do any of you have any experience ordering wine or spirits online? I'm
looking for a particular wine I can't find locally and I would like to
know if anyone has had good results with an online store?

I've ordered both wines and spirits online, and never had a problem. I live
in California, if that makes a difference. The wine merchants from whom
I've ordered have all been in California, but I've also shipped wines to my
sisters in Florida without mishap. I had spirits (a macadamia liqueur)
shipped to me from New Zealand, and I got it just fine. (Now I'm trying to
track down a litchi liqueur.)

As someone else noted, Beverages & More has an online store, and I've used
it, but only to have them put a package together for pickup. (The nearest
Beverages & More was about an hour's drive away back then, so I only did
that occasionally. But they just built a MUCH closer one.)

In general, though, I'd recommend online wine/spirit merchants, provided you
follow the same precautions that apply to ANY online merchant (e.g., make
sure that you don't give your credit card number on form unless the form is
secure). If it would make you feel better, most online merchants have a
contact phone number, so you can place your order by phone.

Bob

Old 14-01-2005, 06:35 AM
-L.

Cherrybounce wrote:
Do any of you have any experience ordering wine or spirits online?

I'm
looking for a particular wine I can't find locally and I would like

know if anyone has had good results with an online store?

Thanks.

Lawton Winery in Newberg, Oregon

http://www.lawtonwinery.com
Limited selecton, but excellent wine, and very nice folks.

-L.

Old 14-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Leonard Lehew

wrote:

Do any of you have any experience ordering wine or spirits online? I'm
looking for a particular wine I can't find locally and I would like to
know if anyone has had good results with an online store?

Thanks.

I have ordered from on-line stores occassionally, from wine brokers,
and directly from wineries. No problems in any case. Shipping can be
pretty expensive, but it can still make sense for difficult to obtain
wine. In some situations the price can be low enough to more than
offset the shipping costs.

There are a bunch of on-line wine retailers now that sell pretty much
anything. Wine brokers tend to be more selective in what they carry
and tend toward more expensive wines with smaller distributions.

There is considerable variation in state laws that affect whether you
can get wine shipped to you legally. In my experience, wine brokers in
another state don't worry about that too much. I guess they figure
that an out-of-state prosecution is unlikely. On the other hand,
wineries tend to follow the law more carefully.

It is possible to receive wine now in most states. The larger on-line
merchants and wineries have taken the time to figure out how to comply
with individual state laws in a way that is pretty transparent to
customers.

There are also shipping companies that will deal with these legal
requirements in a way that is transparent to both the shipper and
customers. Smaller wineries often depend on the shipper to handle
this. It makes the shipping cost higher, but at least makes it
possible to get limited-production wines.

If you use a larger merchant like wine.com, you will see that their
prices are adjusted based on the destination state.

Cheers,

Leonard