Bob

Default Boiled Lobster Tails

My girlfriend recently got some frozen lobster tails for herself and her
mother. She boiled the tails and served them simply with melted butter. But
when they tried to eat them, they found that the meat was tenaciously
adhering to the shell, rather than separating from it. I've never heard of
that problem arising; every time I've cooked lobster, the meat separates
from the shell easily. Any ideas on what might have happened, or how to keep
the meat from sticking to the shell like that?

Bob

jmcquown

Bob wrote:
> My girlfriend recently got some frozen lobster tails for herself and
> her mother. She boiled the tails and served them simply with melted
> butter. But when they tried to eat them, they found that the meat was
> tenaciously adhering to the shell, rather than separating from it.
> Bob

Hmmm. I normally broil or grill lobster tails rather than boil them. One
thing I learned while working at a seafood restaurant, which may or may not
help, is to bend the tails backwards until they 'crack'... that's a sound,
not literally breaking them. It prevents curling when cooking. Did she
perhaps overcook them?

Jill

Pan Ohco

On 6 Jan 2005 13:24:20 -0600, "Bob" >
wrote:

>My girlfriend recently got some frozen lobster tails for herself and her
>mother. She boiled the tails and served them simply with melted butter. But
>when they tried to eat them, they found that the meat was tenaciously
>adhering to the shell, rather than separating from it. I've never heard of
>that problem arising; every time I've cooked lobster, the meat separates
>from the shell easily. Any ideas on what might have happened, or how to keep
>the meat from sticking to the shell like that?
>
>Bob

It sounds to me like it was over cooked.

Pan Ohco

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a
Book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
--Assyrian stone tablet, c. 2800 B.C.