Thomas Muffaletto

Default Low Sugar - Low Cholestoral cooking.

all my life I have loved to cook but most of my cooking is unhealthy.
I am diabetic and my wife was told to lower her Cholesterol.
First thing I would like to add to our diets is some home made muffins.
I am thinking Bran and Whole wheat will be made most often but I will
also be looking to make other kinds.
I would like a recipe that I could figure to be about 45 carbs most of the
carbs coming from
bran or wheat.
with as little added sugar as possible. preferably sweetened with fruit
juice.
is there anyway to make rice bran taste half way edible?
I wont get into the debate of dietary cholesterol but feel free
to add your opinion if you would like.
or if someone could point me to a good web site
about low sugar, low fat cooking. being I don't want
to add any more eggs to my diet I would like the muffins to
be yoke free.
thank you
Tom
--
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
Your American Diabetes Association

Hahabogus

"Thomas Muffaletto" > wrote in
:

> all my life I have loved to cook but most of my cooking is
> unhealthy. I am diabetic and my wife was told to lower her
> Cholesterol. First thing I would like to add to our diets is some
> home made muffins. I am thinking Bran and Whole wheat will be made
> most often but I will also be looking to make other kinds.
> I would like a recipe that I could figure to be about 45 carbs most
> of the carbs coming from
> bran or wheat.
> with as little added sugar as possible. preferably sweetened with
> fruit juice.
> is there anyway to make rice bran taste half way edible?
> I wont get into the debate of dietary cholesterol but feel free
> to add your opinion if you would like.
> or if someone could point me to a good web site
> about low sugar, low fat cooking. being I don't want
> to add any more eggs to my diet I would like the muffins to
> be yoke free.
> thank you
> Tom

I suggest you look at carb reduction meals...Carbs push up your BG and
have been shown to raise Cholestral levels. At least look at several Carb
nutritional papers.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Dan Goodman

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:01:54 -0500, Thomas Muffaletto wrote:

> all my life I have loved to cook but most of my cooking is unhealthy.
> I am diabetic and my wife was told to lower her Cholesterol.
> First thing I would like to add to our diets is some home made muffins.
> I am thinking Bran and Whole wheat will be made most often but I will
> also be looking to make other kinds.
> I would like a recipe that I could figure to be about 45 carbs most of the
> carbs coming from
> bran or wheat.
> with as little added sugar as possible. preferably sweetened with fruit
> juice.
> is there anyway to make rice bran taste half way edible?
> I wont get into the debate of dietary cholesterol but feel free
> to add your opinion if you would like.
> or if someone could point me to a good web site
> about low sugar, low fat cooking. being I don't want
> to add any more eggs to my diet I would like the muffins to
> be yoke free.
> thank you

Not useful for this particular question, but: bulgur wheat, aka cracked
wheat, can to some extent be substituted for rice -- and cooks in about the
same time as white rice, rather than the longer time for brown rice.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood
Dan Goodman

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:01:54 -0500, Thomas Muffaletto wrote:

> all my life I have loved to cook but most of my cooking is unhealthy.
> I am diabetic and my wife was told to lower her Cholesterol.
> First thing I would like to add to our diets is some home made muffins.
> I am thinking Bran and Whole wheat will be made most often but I will
> also be looking to make other kinds.
> I would like a recipe that I could figure to be about 45 carbs most of the
> carbs coming from
> bran or wheat.
> with as little added sugar as possible. preferably sweetened with fruit
> juice.
> is there anyway to make rice bran taste half way edible?
> I wont get into the debate of dietary cholesterol but feel free
> to add your opinion if you would like.
> or if someone could point me to a good web site
> about low sugar, low fat cooking. being I don't want
> to add any more eggs to my diet I would like the muffins to
> be yoke free.
> thank you

Not useful for this particular question, but: bulgur wheat, aka cracked
wheat, can to some extent be substituted for rice -- and cooks in about the
same time as white rice, rather than the longer time for brown rice.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood
Predictions and Politics http://dsgood.blogspot.com
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.
John Arbuthnot (1667-1735), Scottish writer, physician.
Thomas Muffaletto

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
> Not useful for this particular question, but: bulgur wheat, aka cracked
> wheat, can to some extent be substituted for rice -- and cooks in about
> the
> same time as white rice, rather than the longer time for brown rice.
>

> --
> Dan Goodman

Well maybe not for this question but for what I am trying to do
I am grateful.
I am also looking to up the amount of fiber in my diet.
Today I am buying all the things I need to start making Bran Muffins
sweetened only with fruit juice and having no egg yolks. I still don't know
that much about baking but I did find what looks to be a good recipe
using apple sauce and some fruit as the sweetener.
My biggest challenge and something I want to do is find a way to make
rice bran taste half way edible with out adding sugar and no egg yolks.
Tom
--
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
Your American Diabetes Association
http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
My Website
http://www.gantlet.000k2.com/

kalanamak

Muffins by their very nature and sweet, and something of a small
free-standing cake. Rather than try to bend something that is supposed
to be cake-like into something that isn't, why not breakfast on
something that isn't cake-like?
There are decent meat substitutes for breakfast patties.
One slice of dense WW toast with smear of non-fat yougurt that has sat
overnight in a "wave" yougurt drainer or a melita coffee filter (this is
tastier than non-fat cream cheese, but use yougurt without gelatin), and
a whisper of really good, tart apple butter on it (I think Knudsens
makes one with no added sugar that is very flavourful. You can make it
yourself).
See if you can catch some of Kerr's newer shows. They are full of ideas
on cutting out what you want to cut out.
HTH
blacksalt
Thomas Muffaletto

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> Muffins by their very nature and sweet, and something of a small
> free-standing cake. Rather than try to bend something that is supposed
> to be cake-like into something that isn't, why not breakfast on
> something that isn't cake-like?
> There are decent meat substitutes for breakfast patties.
> One slice of dense WW toast with smear of non-fat yougurt that has sat
> overnight in a "wave" yougurt drainer or a melita coffee filter (this is
> tastier than non-fat cream cheese, but use yougurt without gelatin), and
> a whisper of really good, tart apple butter on it (I think Knudsens
> makes one with no added sugar that is very flavourful. You can make it
> yourself).
> See if you can catch some of Kerr's newer shows. They are full of ideas
> on cutting out what you want to cut out.
> HTH
> blacksalt

Kerr's? is that on the food network channel?
Tom
o yea that post sounded tasty.

kalanamak

> Kerr's? is that on the food network channel?
> Tom
> o yea that post sounded tasty.

I used to see him on PBS, but I just don't have time for tv anymore, and
havne't looked at it or him in 5 years. He has a book "creative cooking"
I think? Google him or look for him on Amazon. I picked up some really
good techniques. I'd go a little coocoo trying to follow all of them,
but a few were just right for me. At the end of the show, he'd go over
the "tradtitional" dish's chol, calories, salt, etc. compared to his
makeover.
blacksalt
kalanamak

> Kerr's? is that on the food network channel?
> Tom
> o yea that post sounded tasty.

I used to see him on PBS, but I just don't have time for tv anymore, and
havne't looked at it or him in 5 years. He has a book "creative cooking"
I think? Google him or look for him on Amazon. I picked up some really
good techniques. I'd go a little coocoo trying to follow all of them,
but a few were just right for me. At the end of the show, he'd go over
the "tradtitional" dish's chol, calories, salt, etc. compared to his
makeover.
blacksalt
Neil

First, I have become good at stripping out recipes. We had to or else
per the doctor and the else was a nice coffin in a nice shady location.

I currently have a plate of muffins waiting for the other half. It is
a very flexable recipe and I have used all sorts of modifications from
diabetic syrup to egg subs.

It was a Moosewood recipe. I hate Moosewood but I have to admit I love
the recipe and so does the OH who is the one who needs it.

Omenapyorykat [Oat Bran Muffins] from the Sundays at Moosewood...
modified.

1/2 cup maple syrup [used diabetic, used maple pecan mix, used
strawberry syrup]
1/2 cup plain no fat yogurt [Used soy vanilla yogurt]
1/4 cup oil [this was unacceptable. Use Apple sauce or prune puree or
banana]
4 tsp powdered egg whites [or 1/4 cup egg beaters or other egg sub].
1/2 tsp salt [optional]
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp fresh grated orange peel [note I used 1 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp
almond extract instead. I plan on trying out the coconut extract in it
also.]
2 cups oat bran [have used other brans also]
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 to 1/2 cup of flour [you want drop consistancy in the batter so add
or reduce the flour as much as needed]

Fruit: apples, prunes, dates, raisins, pineapple all work well and are
intended to be added to the mix. Prob will take to any fruit.

Preheat oven to 400F. Line muffin tin with papers. Prepare the fruit
and set aside. You will add to batter at the last minute.

Whisk the syrup, yogurt, oil [applesauce], and egg sub. Combine the
dry ingredients in a bowl. Fold the liquid into the dry until just
wet. Stir in the fruit.. Divide into the cups. The batter should
almost reach the top. This is a heavy muffin and it doesn't rise much.
Bake for 20 mins or until inserted knife comes out clean.

By varying the ingredients I can get different tastes. One is very
similar to a spice cake. Note: Two of them provide the daily requisite
of oat bran. Also note, constipation will NOT be part of your problems
if you eat more than two at a time.

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Neil" > said:

> 1/4 cup oil [this was unacceptable. Use Apple sauce or prune puree or
> banana]

Why is oil unacceptable? Good oils can be healthful, even in low
cholesterol cooking:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Gal Called J.J.