Steve Calvin

Default Tails on shrimp, why?

ok, shrimp cocktail I understand. Presentation and all of that sort of
thing. But why in the world would you leave the tails on when doing
something like shrimp scampi, parm, etc??? They don't serve any purpose
in those dishes except for being a p.i.t.a. to deal with using a knife,
fork, whatever.

I just don't get it. Nor do I serve dishes like that with the tail shell
still on.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Dave Smith

Steve Calvin wrote:

> ok, shrimp cocktail I understand. Presentation and all of that sort of
> thing. But why in the world would you leave the tails on when doing
> something like shrimp scampi, parm, etc??? They don't serve any purpose
> in those dishes except for being a p.i.t.a. to deal with using a knife,
> fork, whatever.
>
> I just don't get it. Nor do I serve dishes like that with the tail shell
> still on.

Presentation. :-)

Damsel

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:44:57 -0500, Steve Calvin >
wrote:

>ok, shrimp cocktail I understand. Presentation and all of that sort of
>thing. But why in the world would you leave the tails on when doing
>something like shrimp scampi, parm, etc??? They don't serve any purpose
>in those dishes except for being a p.i.t.a. to deal with using a knife,
>fork, whatever.

I think it's a dumb way to serve hot shrimp, too. I just pick 'em up and
eat 'em.

>I just don't get it. Nor do I serve dishes like that with the tail shell
>still on.

Good! When's dinner?

Carol

Chef R. W. Miller

The shells provide and add flavor to the dish. The shells contain water and
lots of flavor. We take the shells peeled from shrimp, boil them for with
water just covering them, for 10 mins. Remove the mixture to a blender, and
purée this to a liquid state. We then pour this liquid thru a sieve lined
with cheese cloth. The stock that comes out is so intense in flavor and
taste that we us it in almost every seafood sauce.
Chef R. W. Miller
Marriott Resorts & Hotels.

Steve Calvin

Chef R. W. Miller wrote:
> The shells provide and add flavor to the dish. The shells contain water and
> lots of flavor. We take the shells peeled from shrimp, boil them for with
> water just covering them, for 10 mins. Remove the mixture to a blender, and
> purée this to a liquid state. We then pour this liquid thru a sieve lined
> with cheese cloth. The stock that comes out is so intense in flavor and
> taste that we us it in almost every seafood sauce.
> Chef R. W. Miller
> Marriott Resorts & Hotels.

<Posted and *not* emailed>

Oh, I use shells all of the time. Throwing them out it against the rules
here. The question was, why keep the shells *in* dishes other than
shrimp cocktail? And honestly, I take them off of those sometimes.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

Steve Calvin

Dave Smith wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>

>>ok, shrimp cocktail I understand. Presentation and all of that sort of
>>thing. But why in the world would you leave the tails on when doing
>>something like shrimp scampi, parm, etc??? They don't serve any purpose
>>in those dishes except for being a p.i.t.a. to deal with using a knife,
>>fork, whatever.
>>
>>I just don't get it. Nor do I serve dishes like that with the tail shell
>>still on.
>>

> Presentation. :-)

As stated (sigh) I understand that for shrimp cocktail.... (see top
line) but why in a *hot* dish such as scampi or parm, etc?

--
Steve <am I typing Swahili or something?>
Steve Calvin

Damsel wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:44:57 -0500, Steve Calvin >
> wrote:
>

>>ok, shrimp cocktail I understand. Presentation and all of that sort of
>>thing. But why in the world would you leave the tails on when doing
>>something like shrimp scampi, parm, etc??? They don't serve any purpose
>>in those dishes except for being a p.i.t.a. to deal with using a knife,
>>fork, whatever.

> I think it's a dumb way to serve hot shrimp, too. I just pick 'em up and
> eat 'em.
>

>>I just don't get it. Nor do I serve dishes like that with the tail shell
>>still on.

> Good! When's dinner?
>
> Carol

Whenever you and Crash can make it. :-)

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Nancy Young

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Steve Calvin wrote:
>>

>>>ok, shrimp cocktail I understand. Presentation and all of that sort of
>>>thing. But why in the world would you leave the tails on when doing
>>>something like shrimp scampi, parm, etc??? They don't serve any purpose
>>>in those dishes except for being a p.i.t.a. to deal with using a knife,
>>>fork, whatever.
>>>
>>>I just don't get it. Nor do I serve dishes like that with the tail shell
>>>still on.

>> Presentation. :-)

> As stated (sigh) I understand that for shrimp cocktail.... (see top line)
> but why in a *hot* dish such as scampi or parm, etc?

They lend a lot of flavor to the dish. As bones do to meat dishes.

nancy

Nancy Young

"Chef R. W. Miller" > wrote in message
om...
> The shells provide and add flavor to the dish. The shells contain water
> and
> lots of flavor. We take the shells peeled from shrimp, boil them for with
> water just covering them, for 10 mins. Remove the mixture to a blender,
> and
> purée this to a liquid state. We then pour this liquid thru a sieve lined
> with cheese cloth. The stock that comes out is so intense in flavor and
> taste that we us it in almost every seafood sauce.
> Chef R. W. Miller
> Marriott Resorts & Hotels.

Whoops, I didn't see your post before I replied. Sorry to repeat about the
flavor.

nancy

Steve Calvin

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>Dave Smith wrote:

>>>Presentation. :-)

>>As stated (sigh) I understand that for shrimp cocktail.... (see top line)
>>but why in a *hot* dish such as scampi or parm, etc?

> They lend a lot of flavor to the dish. As bones do to meat dishes.
>
> nancy

Yeah, I got that and use them all of the time to make broths for flavor.
I just don't get why they need to stay on and make people fight with
them for a knife and fork.

I guess I'm just not asking the question clearly.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

Steve Calvin

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Yeah, I got that and use them all of the time to make broths for flavor.
> I just don't get why they need to stay on and make people fight with
> them for a knife and fork.
>
> I guess I'm just not asking the question clearly.

oops, make that "fight for them *with* a knife and fork"
--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

I eat them. Never thought I was not supposed to....
Especially if deep fried. Catfish tails fried are really good also.

Nancy Young

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message They lend a lot
>> of flavor to the dish. As bones do to meat dishes.

> Yeah, I got that and use them all of the time to make broths for flavor. I
> just don't get why they need to stay on and make people fight with them
> for a knife and fork.
>
> I guess I'm just not asking the question clearly.

No, I gotcha. But ... I'm a slob ... I'll either stab the thing close to
the
tail and eat it off the fork or ... I'll just pick it up by the tail and eat
it
that way. Sometimes I even eat the tail, too. I know, gross.

That was a funny thing you said, fighting with shrimp for a knife and
fork. I read your other post before this one and I just had to laugh
out loud. No offense.

nancy

Richard Periut

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>>"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message They lend a lot
>>>of flavor to the dish. As bones do to meat dishes.

>>Yeah, I got that and use them all of the time to make broths for flavor. I
>>just don't get why they need to stay on and make people fight with them
>>for a knife and fork.
>>
>>I guess I'm just not asking the question clearly.

> No, I gotcha. But ... I'm a slob ... I'll either stab the thing close to
> the
> tail and eat it off the fork or ... I'll just pick it up by the tail and eat
> it
> that way. Sometimes I even eat the tail, too. I know, gross.
>
> That was a funny thing you said, fighting with shrimp for a knife and
> fork. I read your other post before this one and I just had to laugh
> out loud. No offense.
>
> nancy

I've made a spicy oriental (stir fry) dish that states that the shells
should be cut through the top, but left on while stir frying. When you
eat them, you just pull the shrimp by grabbing it from the tail, and
pulling it so that tail and shell are removed.

I'll tell you that I tried the dish without the tail (didn't want to
bother with getting sticky fingers,) and it was not the same. The
flavors within the connective tissue and the juices of the shell,
definitely impart extra flavor. Anyone interested in the recipe, I'll go
to the basement and pull out the recipe.

Regards,

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

notbob

On 2005-01-06, Steve Calvin > wrote:

> As stated (sigh) I understand that for shrimp cocktail.... (see top
> line) but why in a *hot* dish such as scampi or parm, etc?

I imagine just because of laziness and/or cost cutting (less labor). I've
noticed this is common in some dishes like camarones el diablo, but don't
know if that's traditional or, again, laziness. It is not the usual for
scampi or parm and I always shell when preparing these dishes. Fortunately,
for me, I'm a crunchiness freak and still have all my teeth so leaving the
shells on is no biggy. In fack, I always eat the tail.

nb
Richard Periut

notbob wrote:

> On 2005-01-06, Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>As stated (sigh) I understand that for shrimp cocktail.... (see top
>>line) but why in a *hot* dish such as scampi or parm, etc?

> I imagine just because of laziness and/or cost cutting (less labor). I've
> noticed this is common in some dishes like camarones el diablo, but don't
> know if that's traditional or, again, laziness. It is not the usual for
> scampi or parm and I always shell when preparing these dishes. Fortunately,
> for me, I'm a crunchiness freak and still have all my teeth so leaving the
> shells on is no biggy. In fack, I always eat the tail.
>
> nb

Actually I would like that but very crispy. You do know that you are
getting a nice dose of calcium, among other elements so abundant in sea
life: iodine, iron, strontium, magnesium, molybdenum, et cetera : )

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Steve Calvin

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>>"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message They lend a lot
>>>of flavor to the dish. As bones do to meat dishes.

>>Yeah, I got that and use them all of the time to make broths for flavor. I
>>just don't get why they need to stay on and make people fight with them
>>for a knife and fork.
>>
>>I guess I'm just not asking the question clearly.

> No, I gotcha. But ... I'm a slob ... I'll either stab the thing close to
> the
> tail and eat it off the fork or ... I'll just pick it up by the tail and eat
> it
> that way. Sometimes I even eat the tail, too. I know, gross.
>
> That was a funny thing you said, fighting with shrimp for a knife and
> fork. I read your other post before this one and I just had to laugh
> out loud. No offense.
>
> nancy

lol, none taken. If I were home I'd probably just grab 'em and rip the
sucker off to but when we're out I try to at least appear to have
manners. ;-)

As for eatin' that sucker? Now there we'll part ways.

It's no big deal, sometimes I just get to wondering about wierd sh*t.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Steve Calvin

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-01-06, Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>As stated (sigh) I understand that for shrimp cocktail.... (see top
>>line) but why in a *hot* dish such as scampi or parm, etc?

> I imagine just because of laziness and/or cost cutting (less labor). I've
> noticed this is common in some dishes like camarones el diablo, but don't
> know if that's traditional or, again, laziness. It is not the usual for
> scampi or parm and I always shell when preparing these dishes. Fortunately,
> for me, I'm a crunchiness freak and still have all my teeth so leaving the
> shells on is no biggy. In fack, I always eat the tail.
>
> nb

okie-dokie. Been enough replies to the contrary that I apparently just
don't get it. But that's ok. I've eaten the stuff made like that all my
life and certainly don't intend to stop ordering them now! :-) At home's
a different story though. Here, I'll continue to boil the shells, tails,
and heads in some sort of liquid with other things (or not), strain and
then toss those suckers right in the garbage. Then reduce the stock for
whatever dish I'm making for the flavor.

I was just curious on others views. Thanks all for the opinions.

--
Steve
But eatin' the tails is still gross. ;-)
Steve Calvin

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-01-06, Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>As stated (sigh) I understand that for shrimp cocktail.... (see top
>>line) but why in a *hot* dish such as scampi or parm, etc?

> I imagine just because of laziness and/or cost cutting (less labor). I've
> noticed this is common in some dishes like camarones el diablo, but don't
> know if that's traditional or, again, laziness. It is not the usual for
> scampi or parm and I always shell when preparing these dishes. Fortunately,
> for me, I'm a crunchiness freak and still have all my teeth so leaving the
> shells on is no biggy. In fack, I always eat the tail.
>
> nb

okie-dokie. Been enough replies to the contrary that I apparently just
don't get it. But that's ok. I've eaten the stuff made like that all my
life and certainly don't intend to stop ordering them now! :-) At home's
a different story though. Here, I'll continue to boil the shells, tails,
and heads in some sort of liquid with other things (or not), strain and
then toss those suckers right in the garbage. Then reduce the stock for
whatever dish I'm making for the flavor.

I was just curious on others views. Thanks all for the opinions.

--
Steve
But eatin' the tails is still gross. ;-)

Dave Smith

Steve Calvin wrote:

> >>I just don't get it. Nor do I serve dishes like that with the tail shell
> >>still on.
> >>

> > Presentation. :-)
> >

> As stated (sigh) I understand that for shrimp cocktail.... (see top
> line) but why in a *hot* dish such as scampi or parm, etc?

And I stated (sigh) that it is presentation. (double sigh).

Besides, it slows you down when you eat those delectable little morsels. If
you didn't have to removed those bits of shells you'd be wolfing them back and
never get enough.

Dave Smith

Richard Periut wrote:

> I'll tell you that I tried the dish without the tail (didn't want to
> bother with getting sticky fingers,) and it was not the same. The
> flavors within the connective tissue and the juices of the shell,
> definitely impart extra flavor. Anyone interested in the recipe, I'll go
> to the basement and pull out the recipe.

I used to BBQ peeled shrimp until I learned the benefits of marinating and cooking
them in the shell. It saves me a lot of work when I am preparing them since I
don't have to shell everyone else's shrimp as well as my own. It stretches the
shrimp, making people take time to peel them, But most important is that they
taste so much better when done in the shell.

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>But why in the world would you leave the tails on when doing
>something like shrimp scampi, parm, etc??? They don't serve any purpose
>in those dishes except for being a p.i.t.a. to deal with using a knife,
>fork, whatever.

Agreed. I pull 'em off, saving as much of the meat as I can.
Levelwave©

Steve Calvin wrote:

> I just don't get it. Nor do I serve dishes like that with the tail shell
> still on.

It's a handle... some people still eat with their hands

~john

Richard Periut

Dave Smith wrote:

> Richard Periut wrote:
>

>>I'll tell you that I tried the dish without the tail (didn't want to
>>bother with getting sticky fingers,) and it was not the same. The
>>flavors within the connective tissue and the juices of the shell,
>>definitely impart extra flavor. Anyone interested in the recipe, I'll go
>>to the basement and pull out the recipe.

> I used to BBQ peeled shrimp until I learned the benefits of marinating and cooking
> them in the shell. It saves me a lot of work when I am preparing them since I
> don't have to shell everyone else's shrimp as well as my own. It stretches the
> shrimp, making people take time to peel them, But most important is that they
> taste so much better when done in the shell.

When you make a cut through the ventral aspect of the shrimp (to devein
it,) makes peeling it a breeze.

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Richard Periut

Dave Smith wrote:

> Richard Periut wrote:
>

>>I'll tell you that I tried the dish without the tail (didn't want to
>>bother with getting sticky fingers,) and it was not the same. The
>>flavors within the connective tissue and the juices of the shell,
>>definitely impart extra flavor. Anyone interested in the recipe, I'll go
>>to the basement and pull out the recipe.

> I used to BBQ peeled shrimp until I learned the benefits of marinating and cooking
> them in the shell. It saves me a lot of work when I am preparing them since I
> don't have to shell everyone else's shrimp as well as my own. It stretches the
> shrimp, making people take time to peel them, But most important is that they
> taste so much better when done in the shell.

When you make a cut through the ventral aspect of the shrimp (to devein
it,) makes peeling it a breeze.

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Steve Calvin > said:

> ok, shrimp cocktail I understand. Presentation and all of that sort of
> thing. But why in the world would you leave the tails on when doing
> something like shrimp scampi, parm, etc??? They don't serve any purpose
> in those dishes except for being a p.i.t.a. to deal with using a knife,
> fork, whatever.
>
> I just don't get it. Nor do I serve dishes like that with the tail shell
> still on.

I've had that same thought when eating shrimp in cream and white
wine sauce at my favorite restaurant -- it's wonderful except for
those blessed tail shells! I'll have to ask them the next time I
go there (not often as it's kinda spendy, but worth every penny)...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:

<snip>

> No, I gotcha. But ... I'm a slob ... I'll either stab the thing close to
> the
> tail and eat it off the fork or ... I'll just pick it up by the tail and eat
> it
> that way. Sometimes I even eat the tail, too. I know, gross.

Brrrr, that just gives me the willies! Like eating an eggshell... :-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Hahabogus

Richard Periut > wrote in
:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Richard Periut wrote:
> >

> >>I'll tell you that I tried the dish without the tail (didn't want
> >>to bother with getting sticky fingers,) and it was not the same.
> >>The flavors within the connective tissue and the juices of the
> >>shell, definitely impart extra flavor. Anyone interested in the
> >>recipe, I'll go to the basement and pull out the recipe.

> > I used to BBQ peeled shrimp until I learned the benefits of
> > marinating and cooking them in the shell. It saves me a lot of
> > work when I am preparing them since I don't have to shell everyone
> > else's shrimp as well as my own. It stretches the shrimp, making
> > people take time to peel them, But most important is that they
> > taste so much better when done in the shell.
> >

> When you make a cut through the ventral aspect of the shrimp (to
> devein it,) makes peeling it a breeze.

But when you peel off the shell you limit/reduce the flavour.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Hahabogus

Richard Periut > wrote in
:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Richard Periut wrote:
> >

> >>I'll tell you that I tried the dish without the tail (didn't want
> >>to bother with getting sticky fingers,) and it was not the same.
> >>The flavors within the connective tissue and the juices of the
> >>shell, definitely impart extra flavor. Anyone interested in the
> >>recipe, I'll go to the basement and pull out the recipe.

> > I used to BBQ peeled shrimp until I learned the benefits of
> > marinating and cooking them in the shell. It saves me a lot of
> > work when I am preparing them since I don't have to shell everyone
> > else's shrimp as well as my own. It stretches the shrimp, making
> > people take time to peel them, But most important is that they
> > taste so much better when done in the shell.
> >

> When you make a cut through the ventral aspect of the shrimp (to
> devein it,) makes peeling it a breeze.

But when you peel off the shell you limit/reduce the flavour.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl

Richard Periut

Hahabogus wrote:

> Richard Periut > wrote in
> :
>

>>Dave Smith wrote:

>>>I used to BBQ peeled shrimp until I learned the benefits of
>>>marinating and cooking them in the shell. It saves me a lot of
>>>work when I am preparing them since I don't have to shell everyone
>>>else's shrimp as well as my own. It stretches the shrimp, making
>>>people take time to peel them, But most important is that they
>>>taste so much better when done in the shell.
>>>

>>When you make a cut through the ventral aspect of the shrimp (to
>>devein it,) makes peeling it a breeze.
>>

> But when you peel off the shell you limit/reduce the flavour.

No, the shrimp (because of the cut,) has had a lot of the shells flavor
impregnated with it. Besides, you are suppose to suck the shell also.

As I said, I've tried it both ways, and I prefer it with the shell.

Why don't you try it and see for yourself?

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Yes, shells, tails and, if in a chinese place, the heads/antenna and
eyeballs. Its all fried and in a light salty breading and quite
tasty...

Of course, I enjoy doing taxes also....

Frenchy

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> ok, shrimp cocktail I understand. Presentation and all of that sort of
> thing. But why in the world would you leave the tails on when doing
> something like shrimp scampi, parm, etc??? They don't serve any purpose in
> those dishes except for being a p.i.t.a. to deal with using a knife, fork,
> whatever.
>
> I just don't get it. Nor do I serve dishes like that with the tail shell
> still on.
>
> --
> Steve

Japanese think these tail shells help prevent bowel cancer. Go to a
Tepanyaki table with Gaijin and Japanese seated around it, and when they get
to the fried Prawns, the Westerners discard the prawn tails and the Japanese
will take them if you offer them and crunch the tail shells up joyfully!!
And yabber away at how stupid we are to discard the best bit! They taste
like crap, but if you keep telling yourself "this is doing me good", you
get to swallow!

Not really answering the original Question! Suspect they are just handles
for finger eating, no matter what the dish is.

Frenchy

zuuum

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> here. The question was, why keep the shells *in* dishes other than shrimp
> cocktail? And honestly, I take them off of those sometimes.

Funny, as a friend of mine is always trying to convince me to prepare them
without tails. But if I were asked to devein and bread two hundred colossal
tiger shrimp without the tails on, I would tell them I'd need at least 10
extra minutes. And possibly suffer additional cuts. The tail is a great
fender when butterflying. ";^/

I rarely prepare scampi anymoore without the entire shell, legs included,
since I worked at probably the most high-end restaurant in my entire
experience. They insisted on the presentation, using colossals. Shell-on
reduces curling and concentrates flavor, but of course, tail does nothing
like that. The funny thing is, just like you, one wonders, "Ok.. this is a
fine dining restaurant... so why make the customer look like a slob by the
time they get through the meal. Saucy fingerprints all over the place from
peeling the things?" LOL

For me, tail on makes for swifter prep, especially if you use a flapping
move anywhere in the process. Try grabbing a few raw shrimp without tails
and shaking off loose flour or something. I also prefer the presentation.
This ain't rock shrimp. Bhuahahaha.

> Steve
>
> It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message They lend a
>>> lot of flavor to the dish. As bones do to meat dishes.

>> Yeah, I got that and use them all of the time to make broths for
>> flavor. I just don't get why they need to stay on and make people
>> fight with them for a knife and fork.
>>
>> I guess I'm just not asking the question clearly.

> No, I gotcha. But ... I'm a slob ... I'll either stab the thing
> close to the
> tail and eat it off the fork or ... I'll just pick it up by the tail
> and eat it
> that way. Sometimes I even eat the tail, too. I know, gross.
>
> nancy

Separated at birth! When I was a kid and mom served fried shrimp I always
ate the tail. Didn't think a thing about it.

Jill

Siobhan Perricone

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 04:02:31 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Separated at birth! When I was a kid and mom served fried shrimp I always
>ate the tail. Didn't think a thing about it.

Me too. When I broil the tail on ones I sometimes still eat the tail. It's
crunchy.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Siobhan Perricone

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:29:59 -0500, Steve Calvin >
wrote:

>Oh, I use shells all of the time. Throwing them out it against the rules
>here. The question was, why keep the shells *in* dishes other than
>shrimp cocktail? And honestly, I take them off of those sometimes.

Well I don't eat the shells, if the shrimp is served in the shell, I peel
it all off. If there's just a tail, sometimes I'll eat it, sometimes I
gently pull the shrimp out of it and discard the tail. Depends on how it
has been prepared. Soggy tails aren't particularly good, but crunchy ones
are nice.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Steve Calvin

Siobhan Perricone wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:29:59 -0500, Steve Calvin >
> wrote:
>

>>Oh, I use shells all of the time. Throwing them out it against the rules
>>here. The question was, why keep the shells *in* dishes other than
>>shrimp cocktail? And honestly, I take them off of those sometimes.

> Well I don't eat the shells, if the shrimp is served in the shell, I peel
> it all off. If there's just a tail, sometimes I'll eat it, sometimes I
> gently pull the shrimp out of it and discard the tail. Depends on how it
> has been prepared. Soggy tails aren't particularly good, but crunchy ones
> are nice.

k, y'all have just convinced me that Nancy's been right all these
years... I'm just plain weird. (I kinda knew that but I've been in
denial. :-D

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

How long can you store the stock for?
Thanks

--
..

Chef R. W. Miller wrote:
> The shells provide and add flavor to the dish. The shells contain
> water and lots of flavor. We take the shells peeled from shrimp,
> boil them for with water just covering them, for 10 mins. Remove the
> mixture to a blender, and purée this to a liquid state. We then pour
> this liquid thru a sieve lined with cheese cloth. The stock that
> comes out is so intense in flavor and taste that we us it in almost
> every seafood sauce.
> Chef R. W. Miller
> Marriott Resorts & Hotels.

Ox Tails Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 11 11-10-2014 11:14 PM
Pig tails. Ross@home Barbecue 1 23-04-2012 09:41 PM
Ox Tails DWACON General Cooking 20 12-07-2006 12:51 PM
Eating the Shrimp tails Questions Sushi 28 05-03-2005 05:24 PM
Shrimp - why remove tails? Gary Smiley General Cooking 17 06-05-2004 03:01 AM