laurie

Default Question on cooking oats

When using oats while baking, does it really matter if you use long cooking
oats vs quick cooking oats if the recipe specifies one or the other? In the
particular recipe I'm referring to, the oats are only baked and not mixed with
any liquid other than melted butter.

I did substitute long cooking oats tonight and the recipe came out just fine,
but didn't know if it would be "different" or better with the quick cook kind.

laurie
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 04 Jan 2005 08:39:09p, laurie tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> When using oats while baking, does it really matter if you use long
> cooking oats vs quick cooking oats if the recipe specifies one or the
> other? In the particular recipe I'm referring to, the oats are only
> baked and not mixed with any liquid other than melted butter.
>
> I did substitute long cooking oats tonight and the recipe came out just
> fine, but didn't know if it would be "different" or better with the
> quick cook kind.
>
> laurie

Depending on the recipe, there could be a textural difference. Quick cooking
oats are essentially chopped up regular oats. I find particle size makes a
difference in the oatmeal cookies I bake. I don't care for quick cooking
oats and never use them in anything.

Wayne

Dave Smith

laurie wrote:

> When using oats while baking, does it really matter if you use long cooking
> oats vs quick cooking oats if the recipe specifies one or the other? In the
> particular recipe I'm referring to, the oats are only baked and not mixed with
> any liquid other than melted butter.
>
> I did substitute long cooking oats tonight and the recipe came out just fine,
> but didn't know if it would be "different" or better with the quick cook kind.

Most of the recipes that I have used with oats called for quick cooking oats.
Quick cooking oats aren't too bad for porridge. They aren't as good as the large
flake, but are a definite improvement over minute oats.

Dimitri

"laurie" > wrote in message
> When using oats while baking, does it really matter if you use long
> cooking
> oats vs quick cooking oats if the recipe specifies one or the other? In
> the
> particular recipe I'm referring to, the oats are only baked and not mixed
> with
> any liquid other than melted butter.
>
> I did substitute long cooking oats tonight and the recipe came out just
> fine,
> but didn't know if it would be "different" or better with the quick cook
> kind.
>
> laurie

The difference is "mouth feel" or texture.

Dimitri

Take a look he

http://www.foodsubs.com/GrainOats.html#rolled

rolled oats = oatmeal = rolled oatmeal = old-fashioned oats = old-fashioned
oatmeal = flaked oats = flaked oatmeal = oatflakes Notes: These are oat
groats that are steamed, rolled, and flaked so that they cook quickly.
They're often cooked as a breakfast cereal, added raw to granola or muesli
mixes, or used to make oatmeal cookies. Regular rolled oats take about five
minutes to cook. If you're in a hurry, try quick oats or instant oats.
These have thinner flakes, so they cook faster. Substitutes: steel-cut oats
(chewier, takes longer to cook) OR quick oats (These are less chewy, but
they take less time to cook.) OR instant oats (These usually have additional
flavorings. They're less chewy, but they take less time to cook.) OR
triticale flakes OR rye flakes

Quaker Oats cooking directions Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 9 12-03-2012 01:02 AM
"Quick cooking" steel cut oats? zxcvbob General Cooking 6 22-03-2011 04:27 AM
Steel-cut oats/oatmeal question Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 19 16-02-2006 08:44 PM
Cooking with oats Xanadu Baking 3 28-08-2005 11:27 PM
mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy Gina * General Cooking 11 23-01-2004 02:25 AM