FoodBanter.com

-   -   First time roast chicken (kind of long) (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/5017-first-time-roast-chicken.html)

Ray 08-03-2004 12:43 AM

First time roast chicken (kind of long)

Made a roast chicken for the first time today using this recipe by Julia
Child and want to discuss the results:

1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chicken
1 small yellow onion, quartered
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1/2 cup celery leaves
Salt and black pepper
Butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Wash the chicken in hot water and dry thoroughly. Season the cavity with
salt and black pepper and stuff with the onion, lemon, and celery leaves.
Rub the chicken lightly with softened butter and season all over with salt
and pepper. Tie the drumsticks ends together and set the chicken, breast
side up, in an oiled v-shaped rack or on an oiled roasting pan in the oven.

Roast for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees,
baste the chicken, and roast for 15 minutes. Continue roasting the chicken
until the juices run clear, for a total of 45 minutes plus an additional 7
minutes for each pound. (In other words, a 3 1/2 pound chicken would take a
basic 45 minutes plus an additional 25 minutes, for a total 70 minutes or 1
hour and 10 minutes of cooking time.)

The bird I had was 6 pounds. I followed the prep directions, omitting the
celery leaves (didn't have any on hand) and only cut the lemon in half
instead of in thin slices. Used a stainless steel roasting pan with a
nonstick rack in it.

I cooked the chicken at the initial temp of 425 for 20 mins instead of 15
but I still had no drippings in the pan, so I couldn't baste. In fact, by
the end of the cooking time (90 minutes) there were virtually no drippings
at all.

When I took the bird out of the pan, there seemed to be a bit of juice in
the cavity with the lemon and onion. When I carved 10 minutes later, more
juice flowed as well. It seemed that the breast meat was cooked pretty
well, but the legs and thighs could probably have used about 10-15 more
mins. Also, the skin did not come out crispy

All in all, I wasn't too disappointed with the results since it was a first
time effort. I would have liked the skin to be a bit crispier though.
Would a higher starting temp correct that? Also, my pan may be a bit big
for that size bird. Doesn't a snug fit in the pan allow more heat to
reflect onto the bird? Or should I go without the rack? I know I also need
to invest in a meat thermometer, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Thanks if you are still reading, and wish to offer any tips for next time.
--
Ray

Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Katra 08-03-2004 12:56 AM

First time roast chicken (kind of long)

In article et>,
"Ray" > wrote:

> Made a roast chicken for the first time today using this recipe by Julia
> Child and want to discuss the results:
>
> 1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chicken
> 1 small yellow onion, quartered
> 1 lemon, thinly sliced
> 1/2 cup celery leaves
> Salt and black pepper
> Butter
>
> Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
> Wash the chicken in hot water and dry thoroughly. Season the cavity with
> salt and black pepper and stuff with the onion, lemon, and celery leaves.
> Rub the chicken lightly with softened butter and season all over with salt
> and pepper. Tie the drumsticks ends together and set the chicken, breast
> side up, in an oiled v-shaped rack or on an oiled roasting pan in the oven.
>
> Roast for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees,
> baste the chicken, and roast for 15 minutes. Continue roasting the chicken
> until the juices run clear, for a total of 45 minutes plus an additional 7
> minutes for each pound. (In other words, a 3 1/2 pound chicken would take a
> basic 45 minutes plus an additional 25 minutes, for a total 70 minutes or 1
> hour and 10 minutes of cooking time.)

> The bird I had was 6 pounds. I followed the prep directions, omitting the
> celery leaves (didn't have any on hand) and only cut the lemon in half
> instead of in thin slices. Used a stainless steel roasting pan with a
> nonstick rack in it.
>
> I cooked the chicken at the initial temp of 425 for 20 mins instead of 15
> but I still had no drippings in the pan, so I couldn't baste. In fact, by
> the end of the cooking time (90 minutes) there were virtually no drippings
> at all.
>
> When I took the bird out of the pan, there seemed to be a bit of juice in
> the cavity with the lemon and onion. When I carved 10 minutes later, more
> juice flowed as well. It seemed that the breast meat was cooked pretty
> well, but the legs and thighs could probably have used about 10-15 more
> mins. Also, the skin did not come out crispy
>
> All in all, I wasn't too disappointed with the results since it was a first
> time effort. I would have liked the skin to be a bit crispier though.
> Would a higher starting temp correct that? Also, my pan may be a bit big
> for that size bird. Doesn't a snug fit in the pan allow more heat to
> reflect onto the bird? Or should I go without the rack? I know I also need
> to invest in a meat thermometer, but that's a whole 'nother thread.
>
> Thanks if you are still reading, and wish to offer any tips for next time.

350 degrees, 10 minutes per lb.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

PENMART01 08-03-2004 01:33 AM

First time roast chicken (kind of long)

Katra says:

> "Ray" wrote:
>
>> Made a roast chicken for the first time today
>>
>> The bird I had was 6 pounds.
>>
>> I cooked the chicken at the initial temp of 425 for 20. by
>> the end of the cooking time (90 minutes) there were virtually no drippings
>>
>>It seemed that the breast meat was cooked pretty
>> well, but the legs and thighs could probably have used about 10-15 more
>> mins. Also, the skin did not come out crispy

>350 degrees, 10 minutes per lb.

Nonsense... yoose wanna make folks sick. You know nothing abouit cutting
boards and even less about cooking chicken. Roasting a 6 pounder at 350F
requires 20-25 minutes a pound a minimum of 2 hours, probably more like 2 1/2
hours.

http://www.perdue.com/athome/product/chxwhole.asp

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

hahabogus 08-03-2004 01:37 AM

First time roast chicken (kind of long)

"Ray" > wrote in
nk.net:

> Made a roast chicken for the first time today using this recipe by
> Julia Child and want to discuss the results:
>
> 1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chicken
> 1 small yellow onion, quartered
> 1 lemon, thinly sliced
> 1/2 cup celery leaves
> Salt and black pepper
> Butter
>
> Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
> Wash the chicken in hot water and dry thoroughly. Season the cavity
> with salt and black pepper and stuff with the onion, lemon, and celery
> leaves. Rub the chicken lightly with softened butter and season all
> over with salt and pepper. Tie the drumsticks ends together and set
> the chicken, breast side up, in an oiled v-shaped rack or on an oiled
> roasting pan in the oven.
>
> Roast for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, then reduce the heat to 350
> degrees, baste the chicken, and roast for 15 minutes. Continue
> roasting the chicken until the juices run clear, for a total of 45
> minutes plus an additional 7 minutes for each pound. (In other words,
> a 3 1/2 pound chicken would take a basic 45 minutes plus an additional
> 25 minutes, for a total 70 minutes or 1 hour and 10 minutes of cooking
> time.)

> The bird I had was 6 pounds. I followed the prep directions, omitting
> the celery leaves (didn't have any on hand) and only cut the lemon in
> half instead of in thin slices. Used a stainless steel roasting pan
> with a nonstick rack in it.
>
> I cooked the chicken at the initial temp of 425 for 20 mins instead of
> 15 but I still had no drippings in the pan, so I couldn't baste. In
> fact, by the end of the cooking time (90 minutes) there were virtually
> no drippings at all.
>
> When I took the bird out of the pan, there seemed to be a bit of juice
> in the cavity with the lemon and onion. When I carved 10 minutes
> later, more juice flowed as well. It seemed that the breast meat was
> cooked pretty well, but the legs and thighs could probably have used
> about 10-15 more mins. Also, the skin did not come out crispy
>
> All in all, I wasn't too disappointed with the results since it was a
> first time effort. I would have liked the skin to be a bit crispier
> though. Would a higher starting temp correct that? Also, my pan may
> be a bit big for that size bird. Doesn't a snug fit in the pan allow
> more heat to reflect onto the bird? Or should I go without the rack?
> I know I also need to invest in a meat thermometer, but that's a whole
> 'nother thread.
>
> Thanks if you are still reading, and wish to offer any tips for next
> time.

Well, The bird was WELL rubbed in the butter and not Covered (no lid used)?
(rubbing with cooking oil such as olive oil or canola works too). Alternate
seasoning can be placed under the chicken skin to good effect. Mix minced
garlic with a little butter and some rubbed sage and after loosening the
chicken skin a little place some of the seasoning under the skin. Actually
getting some of the thin lemon slices under the skin works nicely too.

Basting really helps the most, so add some additional cooking oil/butter to
the pan to use to baste with. Some use a cheese cloth pad soaked in cooking
oil over the breast for at least 1/2 the cooking time to aid in the
basting.

If not using a rack to elevate the bird consider a raft of celery and say
carrots to lift the bird out of the pan juices.

Since your 6 pound bird would have been almost double the size, cooking
longer at the higher temp would help.
Perhaps you need to place the rack higher or lower in your oven, this
sometimes helps or perhaps your oven temp is outa wack.

As to the not quite done thigh meat, invest in an instant read
thermometer. They usually cost under $10 and will allow a more exacting
temperatures to be met. I use a digital probe thermometer it's base unit
sits outside the oven telling me the temp of the roasting meat. This allows
for better timing of other items in the planned meal. If it takes 5 minutes
for the meat to rise 1 degree I can guesstimate when to start the veggies
etc. Allow about a 5 degree lower temp to allow for resting time increases
in temp.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

Katra 08-03-2004 01:51 AM

First time roast chicken (kind of long)

In article >,
(PENMART01) wrote:

> Katra says:
> >
> > "Ray" wrote:
> >
> >> Made a roast chicken for the first time today
> >>
> >> The bird I had was 6 pounds.
> >>
> >> I cooked the chicken at the initial temp of 425 for 20. by
> >> the end of the cooking time (90 minutes) there were virtually no drippings
> >>
> >>It seemed that the breast meat was cooked pretty
> >> well, but the legs and thighs could probably have used about 10-15 more
> >> mins. Also, the skin did not come out crispy

> >350 degrees, 10 minutes per lb.

> Nonsense... yoose wanna make folks sick. You know nothing abouit cutting
> boards and even less about cooking chicken. Roasting a 6 pounder at 350F
> requires 20-25 minutes a pound a minimum of 2 hours, probably more like 2 1/2
> hours.

http://www.perdue.com/athome/product/chxwhole.asp

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Only if you like dried out, overcooked crap for a meal. :-P

Ick!!!!!!!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

pavane 08-03-2004 02:26 AM

First time roast chicken (kind of long)

"Ray" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> I cooked the chicken at the initial temp of 425 for 20 mins instead of 15
> but I still had no drippings in the pan, so I couldn't baste. In fact, by
> the end of the cooking time (90 minutes) there were virtually no drippings
> at all.

It sounds to me as if your thermostat in the oven is reading quite
high. Other problem could be that the legs were tied too tightly
together. Buy a good Taylor to check the oven temp; tie the legs
only enough that they stay in place; try again at a constant 425
degrees for about 2 hours with correct tying and temperature (in
other words, Sheldon is correct.) I cook a cornish game hen for
an hour at 425, it weighs 1.75 lbs on average. Start the bird on
one side, turn to the other side after 1/3 of the cooking time, then
turn breast up for the last 1/3. Do not baste unless you want soggy
skin. Massage the skin with butter or seasoned butter.

The problem is that Julia based her early recipes on very fine quality
free range birds from the best Boston markets. They are not the
steroid-pumped chemically dense crap on the normal shelves today
and they react and cook differently. Just keep trying different ways
until you hit one you are comfortable with.

pavane

Lynn Gifford 08-03-2004 04:53 AM

First time roast chicken (kind of long)

[snip]
> > Would a higher starting temp correct that? Also, my pan may be a bit big
> > for that size bird. Doesn't a snug fit in the pan allow more heat to
> > reflect onto the bird?

Pan too snug means bird will "steam" in its juices, not roast. Also [
get some of that butter UNDER the skin of the bird,
Lynn from Fargo

Rick & Cyndi 08-03-2004 07:46 AM

First time roast chicken (kind of long)

"Katra" > wrote in message
: In article >,
: (PENMART01) wrote:
:
: > Katra says:
: > >
: > > "Ray" wrote:
: > >
: > >> Made a roast chicken for the first time today
: > >>
: > >> The bird I had was 6 pounds.
: > >>
: > >> I cooked the chicken at the initial temp of 425 for 20. by
: > >> the end of the cooking time (90 minutes) there were
virtually no drippings
: > >>
: > >>It seemed that the breast meat was cooked pretty
: > >> well, but the legs and thighs could probably have used
about 10-15 more
: > >> mins. Also, the skin did not come out crispy
: >
: > >
: > >350 degrees, 10 minutes per lb.
: >
: > Nonsense... yoose wanna make folks sick. You know nothing
abouit cutting
: > boards and even less about cooking chicken. Roasting a 6
pounder at 350F
: > requires 20-25 minutes a pound a minimum of 2 hours, probably
more like 2 1/2
: > hours.
: >
: >
http://www.perdue.com/athome/product/chxwhole.asp
: >
: >
: >
: > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
: > ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
: > Sheldon
: > ````````````
: > "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without
tribulation."
: >
:
: Only if you like dried out, overcooked crap for a meal. :-P
:
: Ick!!!!!!!
:
: K.
========

Or... just one hour in the Rotisserie... ! <snort>

Sorry, couldn't resist. Been there, done it and loved it!
--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

PENMART01 08-03-2004 02:32 PM

First time roast chicken (kind of long)

>"The Rick & Cyndi Cartoon Show" adds:
>
>"Katra" wrote:
>:(PENMART01) wrote:
>: >Katra says:
>: > >"Ray" wrote:
>: > >
>: > >>Made a roast chicken for the first time today. The bird I had was 6

pounds.

>: >350, 10 minutes a pound

>: > Nonsense... yoose wanna make folks sick. You know nothing
>abouit cutting
>: > boards and even less about cooking chicken. Roasting a 6
>pounder at 350F
>: > requires 20-25 minutes a pound a minimum of 2 hours, probably
>more like 2 1/2
>: > hours.

http://www.perdue.com/athome/product/chxwhole.asp
>:
>: Only if you like dried out, overcooked crap for a meal.

idiot

>Or... just one hour in the Rotisserie... !

No phreakin' way... rotisserie cooking is slower... will require a minimum of
twice the time. That thingie sold on TV aint a true rotisserie, it's a closed
oven with a rotating spit, true rotisserie cooking requires an open spit with
radiant heat from one side only. You ain't gonna dry roast a 6 pound chicken
in one hour regardless how anyway.... yoose prolly never seen a 6 pound
chicken, not those scrawny 1 1/2 lb pigeons you bring home from the fast food
take out.

AND TRIM THE PLUCKIN'
ATTRIBUTIONS, I'M GETTIN' PLUCKIN' TIRED OF DO'IN THE WORK FOR YOOSE *NEWBIE
SLOBS*... I DON'T CARE HOW LONG YOOSE BEEN POSTIN', YOU DON'T TRIM THE TRASH
YOU'LL ALWAYS BE A NEWBIE.

Ignorant lazy *******s.... cook like ya post... eat shit!