Melba's Jammin'

Default I need your counsel re round steak for Swiss steak

I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish Steak?
I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must be because
I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.

What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it should
braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets tender.

I await your counsel and advise. (Pork chow mein for supper tonight
from last week's last of the pork loin.)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
> should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish Steak?
> I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must be because
> I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.
>
> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it should
> braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets tender.
>
> I await your counsel and advise. (Pork chow mein for supper tonight
> from last week's last of the pork loin.)

I would make beef jerky with a top round that thick. ;-)

Do you have a tenderizing mallet to beat the s! out of it? I haven't
fried a round steak in a *long* time because I can never get them to
taste as good as my mother's, but I tenderize them mercilessly with a
mallet, S&P, then coat with flour. Fry in an iron skillet with a little
bit of lard or bacon grease (Mom used Crisco.) Make milk gravy with the
drippings and a beef bouillon cube, and add the steak back and simmer a
while. We usually use a full-cut round steak rather than just a top or
bottom round.

Bob
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
> should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish Steak?
> I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must be because
> I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.
>
> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it should
> braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets tender.
>
> I await your counsel and advise. (Pork chow mein for supper tonight
> from last week's last of the pork loin.)

I would make beef jerky with a top round that thick. ;-)

Do you have a tenderizing mallet to beat the s! out of it? I haven't
fried a round steak in a *long* time because I can never get them to
taste as good as my mother's, but I tenderize them mercilessly with a
mallet, S&P, then coat with flour. Fry in an iron skillet with a little
bit of lard or bacon grease (Mom used Crisco.) Make milk gravy with the
drippings and a beef bouillon cube, and add the steak back and simmer a
while. We usually use a full-cut round steak rather than just a top or
bottom round.

Bob
Steve Calvin

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
>> should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish
>> Steak? I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must
>> be because I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.
>>
>> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
>> should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets tender.
>>
>> I await your counsel and advise. (Pork chow mein for supper tonight
>> from last week's last of the pork loin.)

> I would make beef jerky with a top round that thick. ;-)
>
> Do you have a tenderizing mallet to beat the s! out of it? I haven't
> fried a round steak in a *long* time because I can never get them to
> taste as good as my mother's, but I tenderize them mercilessly with a
> mallet, S&P, then coat with flour. Fry in an iron skillet with a little
> bit of lard or bacon grease (Mom used Crisco.) Make milk gravy with the
> drippings and a beef bouillon cube, and add the steak back and simmer a
> while. We usually use a full-cut round steak rather than just a top or
> bottom round.
>
> Bob

I don't follow a recipe but here's something that's close to what I do.

* Round steak
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 1 cup all purpose flour
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use the "hard" Crisco")
* 1 cup of diced onion
* 3 cups of beef stock or boullion
* 1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce

# Cut each steak into the desired serving size if necessary. Salt and
pepper each steak lightly and dredge in the flour. Shake off the excess.
Set aside. (Personally, I pound the flour in the a meat mallot but that
can get somewhat messy)

# If you don't have a skillet with ovenproof handles, you can use a
pyrex dish or an earthenware pan with a cover for the oven. Heat a heavy
12 inch skillet (cast iron, if you have one) with a tight-fitting lid
over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil. Brown the cube steaks on both
sides and set aside.

# Pour off all of the oil except 1/3 cup. Add 1/3 cup of flour to the
oil and stir. Allow the mixture to brown over medium-low heat and stir
frequently to prevent it from burning. When the mixture is about the
color of peanut butter, add the onion. Stir and allow the onion to cook
for about 1 minute.

# Slowly add the beef stock stirring constantly. Add the Worcestershire
sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

# Return the steaks to the pan, cover and bake in a 275 degree oven for
one hour. (until the meat is able to be separated with a fork)

I'd also toss in some mushrooms, green beans, and bay if I had 'em.

Serve with mashed taters.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Steve Calvin

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
>> should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish
>> Steak? I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must
>> be because I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.
>>
>> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
>> should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets tender.
>>
>> I await your counsel and advise. (Pork chow mein for supper tonight
>> from last week's last of the pork loin.)

> I would make beef jerky with a top round that thick. ;-)
>
> Do you have a tenderizing mallet to beat the s! out of it? I haven't
> fried a round steak in a *long* time because I can never get them to
> taste as good as my mother's, but I tenderize them mercilessly with a
> mallet, S&P, then coat with flour. Fry in an iron skillet with a little
> bit of lard or bacon grease (Mom used Crisco.) Make milk gravy with the
> drippings and a beef bouillon cube, and add the steak back and simmer a
> while. We usually use a full-cut round steak rather than just a top or
> bottom round.
>
> Bob

I don't follow a recipe but here's something that's close to what I do.

* Round steak
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 1 cup all purpose flour
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use the "hard" Crisco")
* 1 cup of diced onion
* 3 cups of beef stock or boullion
* 1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce

# Cut each steak into the desired serving size if necessary. Salt and
pepper each steak lightly and dredge in the flour. Shake off the excess.
Set aside. (Personally, I pound the flour in the a meat mallot but that
can get somewhat messy)

# If you don't have a skillet with ovenproof handles, you can use a
pyrex dish or an earthenware pan with a cover for the oven. Heat a heavy
12 inch skillet (cast iron, if you have one) with a tight-fitting lid
over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil. Brown the cube steaks on both
sides and set aside.

# Pour off all of the oil except 1/3 cup. Add 1/3 cup of flour to the
oil and stir. Allow the mixture to brown over medium-low heat and stir
frequently to prevent it from burning. When the mixture is about the
color of peanut butter, add the onion. Stir and allow the onion to cook
for about 1 minute.

# Slowly add the beef stock stirring constantly. Add the Worcestershire
sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

# Return the steaks to the pan, cover and bake in a 275 degree oven for
one hour. (until the meat is able to be separated with a fork)

I'd also toss in some mushrooms, green beans, and bay if I had 'em.

Serve with mashed taters.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

Dave Smith

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
> should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish Steak?
> I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must be because
> I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.
>
> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it should
> braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets tender.

I don't see any advantage to slicing it in half, other than to reduce the
thickness of tough meat that you have to chew through if you use the same
technique that lead to it being tough on previous tries. Perhaps you would
be better off to beat it with one of those meat tenderizing mallets. It's
been years since I have done Swiss Steak, but I do a lot of other braising,
and from my experience the trick is to brown the meat and then *simmer*
being very careful not to boil it. I get the best results when I start
things in a pan or Dutch oven remove the meat while the sauce is thickened
a bit, then stick it in a 300 degree oven for a few hours, and even better
if it is prepared ahead of time and then re-heated in the oven the next
day.

Dave Smith

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
> should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish Steak?
> I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must be because
> I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.
>
> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it should
> braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets tender.

I don't see any advantage to slicing it in half, other than to reduce the
thickness of tough meat that you have to chew through if you use the same
technique that lead to it being tough on previous tries. Perhaps you would
be better off to beat it with one of those meat tenderizing mallets. It's
been years since I have done Swiss Steak, but I do a lot of other braising,
and from my experience the trick is to brown the meat and then *simmer*
being very careful not to boil it. I get the best results when I start
things in a pan or Dutch oven remove the meat while the sauce is thickened
a bit, then stick it in a 300 degree oven for a few hours, and even better
if it is prepared ahead of time and then re-heated in the oven the next
day.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
> > should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets
> > tender.

> I don't see any advantage to slicing it in half, other than to reduce
> the thickness of tough meat that you have to chew through if you use
> the same technique that lead to it being tough on previous tries.
> Perhaps you would be better off to beat it with one of those meat
> tenderizing mallets.

That's a given, although I usually use a knife or the edge of a saucer.
Planning to slice it because I don't want it that thick and the round
steak I usually buy is thinner. The stuff they had that was thinner,
though, was considerably thinner -- and more expensive.

> It's been years since I have done Swiss Steak,
> but I do a lot of other braising, and from my experience the trick is
> to brown the meat and then *simmer* being very careful not to boil
> it. I get the best results when I start things in a pan or Dutch
> oven remove the meat while the sauce is thickened a bit, then stick
> it in a 300 degree oven for a few hours, and even better if it is
> prepared ahead of time and then re-heated in the oven the next
> day.

Gack. I wonder if this is one for the dreaded crock pot.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
> > should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets
> > tender.

> I don't see any advantage to slicing it in half, other than to reduce
> the thickness of tough meat that you have to chew through if you use
> the same technique that lead to it being tough on previous tries.
> Perhaps you would be better off to beat it with one of those meat
> tenderizing mallets.

That's a given, although I usually use a knife or the edge of a saucer.
Planning to slice it because I don't want it that thick and the round
steak I usually buy is thinner. The stuff they had that was thinner,
though, was considerably thinner -- and more expensive.

> It's been years since I have done Swiss Steak,
> but I do a lot of other braising, and from my experience the trick is
> to brown the meat and then *simmer* being very careful not to boil
> it. I get the best results when I start things in a pan or Dutch
> oven remove the meat while the sauce is thickened a bit, then stick
> it in a 300 degree oven for a few hours, and even better if it is
> prepared ahead of time and then re-heated in the oven the next
> day.

Gack. I wonder if this is one for the dreaded crock pot.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Hahabogus

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason
> I should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish
> Steak? I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must
> be because I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.
>
> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
> should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets
> tender.
>
> I await your counsel and advise. (Pork chow mein for supper tonight
> from last week's last of the pork loin.)

Mom used to pound the hell outa the steak. Season it with salt and
pepper. Put it on a piece of foil and wrap it up with the contents of a
small can of crushed tomatoes and a mess of sliced onions. I add some
garlic and some ground chipotle . And bake this at 275 or 300 till well
done 2-3 hrs.

Have you considered butterflying and stuffing it?

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
> > should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish Steak?

> I would make beef jerky with a top round that thick. ;-)
>
> Do you have a tenderizing mallet to beat the s! out of it?

No, I use a knife or the edge of a saucer.

I haven't
> fried a round steak in a *long* time because I can never get them to
> taste as good as my mother's, but I tenderize them mercilessly with a
> mallet, S&P, then coat with flour. Fry in an iron skillet with a little
> bit of lard or bacon grease (Mom used Crisco.) Make milk gravy with the
> drippings and a beef bouillon cube, and add the steak back and simmer a
> while. We usually use a full-cut round steak rather than just a top or
> bottom round.

Full cut -- the half inch slice that fills the meat tray and has a round
bone? Couldn't find it. This will be a tomato-flavored thang. Onions,
a can of stewed tomatoes, and simmered.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> >> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
> >> should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish
> >> Steak? I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must
> >> be because I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.
> >>
> >> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
> >> should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets
> >> tender.
> >>
> >> I await your counsel and advise. (Pork chow mein for supper tonight
> >> from last week's last of the pork loin.)

> > I would make beef jerky with a top round that thick. ;-)
> >
> > Do you have a tenderizing mallet to beat the s! out of it? I haven't
> > fried a round steak in a *long* time because I can never get them to
> > taste as good as my mother's, but I tenderize them mercilessly with a
> > mallet, S&P, then coat with flour. Fry in an iron skillet with a
> > little
> > bit of lard or bacon grease (Mom used Crisco.) Make milk gravy with
> > the
> > drippings and a beef bouillon cube, and add the steak back and simmer a
> > while. We usually use a full-cut round steak rather than just a top or
> > bottom round.
> >
> > Bob

> I don't follow a recipe but here's something that's close to what I do.
>
> * Round steak
> * salt and pepper, to taste
> * 1 cup all purpose flour
> * 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use the "hard" Crisco")
> * 1 cup of diced onion
> * 3 cups of beef stock or boullion
> * 1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
>
> # Cut each steak into the desired serving size if necessary. Salt and
> pepper each steak lightly and dredge in the flour. Shake off the excess.
> Set aside. (Personally, I pound the flour in the a meat mallot but that
> can get somewhat messy)
>
> # If you don't have a skillet with ovenproof handles, you can use a
> pyrex dish or an earthenware pan with a cover for the oven. Heat a heavy
> 12 inch skillet (cast iron, if you have one) with a tight-fitting lid
> over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil. Brown the cube steaks on both
> sides and set aside.
>
> # Pour off all of the oil except 1/3 cup. Add 1/3 cup of flour to the
> oil and stir. Allow the mixture to brown over medium-low heat and stir
> frequently to prevent it from burning. When the mixture is about the
> color of peanut butter, add the onion. Stir and allow the onion to cook
> for about 1 minute.
>
> # Slowly add the beef stock stirring constantly. Add the Worcestershire
> sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
>
> # Return the steaks to the pan, cover and bake in a 275 degree oven for
> one hour. (until the meat is able to be separated with a fork)
>
> I'd also toss in some mushrooms, green beans, and bay if I had 'em.
>
> Serve with mashed taters.

I bought the potato. :-) I think I'll try your method, Steve.
Probably tomorrow. Thanks.
-B
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Steve Calvin
> [...]

> color of peanut butter, add the onion. Stir and allow the onion to cook
> for about 1 minute.
>
> # Slowly add the beef stock stirring constantly. Add the Worcestershire
> sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
>
> # Return the steaks to the pan, cover and bake in a 275 degree oven for
> one hour. (until the meat is able to be separated with a fork)
>
> I'd also toss in some mushrooms, green beans, and bay if I had 'em.
>
> Serve with mashed taters.

I bought the potato. :-) I think I'll try your method, Steve.
Probably tomorrow. Thanks.
-B
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Dave Smith

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > It's been years since I have done Swiss Steak,
> > but I do a lot of other braising, and from my experience the trick is
> > to brown the meat and then *simmer* being very careful not to boil
> > it. I get the best results when I start things in a pan or Dutch
> > oven remove the meat while the sauce is thickened a bit, then stick
> > it in a 300 degree oven for a few hours, and even better if it is
> > prepared ahead of time and then re-heated in the oven the next
> > day.

> Gack. I wonder if this is one for the dreaded crock pot.

Not necessary. A nice big covered pot in an oven at 300-325 will do just
fine. I have a faint recollection of a crock pot as a wedding present many
years ago, but don't remember ever using it, or giving it away. I have
never had anything cooked in a crock pot that was good enough to bother
with. More power to those who use them successfully, but my cupboard space
is already taken up with things I have use for.

sf

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:34:38 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
> should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish Steak?
> I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must be because
> I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.

I have a meat tenderizer that is a mallet of sorts with
bumps on it. I pound whatever pieces of meat it is and
pound in some flour at the end.

It seems to me that you can pound it thin enough. Do you
plan on cutting it into pieces or do you have a pot big
enough to accomodate it whole?

> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it should
> braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets tender.

I'd braise it for 2 or 3 hours. It all depends on how thick
and tough it is when you finish pounding. Don't forget to
add a few drops of Lea & Perrins (forget about French's)
Worcestershire sauce!

Hmmmm. It's a cold rainy day and Swiss Steak sounds awfully
good right now!

sf
sf

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:34:38 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
> should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish Steak?
> I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must be because
> I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.

I have a meat tenderizer that is a mallet of sorts with
bumps on it. I pound whatever pieces of meat it is and
pound in some flour at the end.

It seems to me that you can pound it thin enough. Do you
plan on cutting it into pieces or do you have a pot big
enough to accomodate it whole?

> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it should
> braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets tender.

I'd braise it for 2 or 3 hours. It all depends on how thick
and tough it is when you finish pounding. Don't forget to
add a few drops of Lea & Perrins (forget about French's)
Worcestershire sauce!

Hmmmm. It's a cold rainy day and Swiss Steak sounds awfully
good right now!

sf
jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason I
> should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish
> Steak? I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must
> be because I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.
>
> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
> should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets
> tender.

You may want to slice it more thinly; I don't think I've ever seen top round
that thick.

Mom's Swiss Steak (my fav!)

2 lb. round steak
2 -3 Tbs. oil
1/3 c. seasoned flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
2 small bay leaves
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1-1/2 c. hot water
3 tsp. beef boullion granules

Blend together flour, salt & pepper. Tenderize the beef with a mallet. Cut
into serving sized pieces and dredge in seasoned flour. Brown the beef in
hot oil. Place portions in a baking dish. In a small bowl blend together
the wine vinegar, garlic, pepper, ginger, marjoram, bay leaves. Pour over
the steak; cover and let stand in the refigerator about an hour. An hour
later, blend together hot water with the beef boullion. Add to the meat in
the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 325F for 2-1/2 to 3
hours until the beef is tender. Trust me, it *does* get tender. Very tasty
gravy, too!

Jill

Steve Calvin

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I bought the potato. :-) I think I'll try your method, Steve.
> Probably tomorrow. Thanks.
> -B

Good luck. In re-reading that rec. I don't think that the time is at all
accurate though. For 1" thick round steak I'd probably guesstimate 300
or 325 for 2 1/2 hours but monitor it. The gravy should be kind of
thick. Good luck and I hope that it comes out ok. (Gotta make a mound
of potatoes with a hole in the center and fill it with the gravy though,
it's required for this dish ;-) )

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Steve Calvin

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I bought the potato. :-) I think I'll try your method, Steve.
> Probably tomorrow. Thanks.
> -B

Good luck. In re-reading that rec. I don't think that the time is at all
accurate though. For 1" thick round steak I'd probably guesstimate 300
or 325 for 2 1/2 hours but monitor it. The gravy should be kind of
thick. Good luck and I hope that it comes out ok. (Gotta make a mound
of potatoes with a hole in the center and fill it with the gravy though,
it's required for this dish ;-) )

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

Steve Calvin

sf wrote:

> I'd braise it for 2 or 3 hours. It all depends on how thick
> and tough it is when you finish pounding. Don't forget to
> add a few drops of Lea & Perrins (forget about French's)
> Worcestershire sauce!
>
> Hmmmm. It's a cold rainy day and Swiss Steak sounds awfully
> good right now!
>
> sf

Agreed. Gotta be L&P.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Steve Calvin

sf wrote:

> I'd braise it for 2 or 3 hours. It all depends on how thick
> and tough it is when you finish pounding. Don't forget to
> add a few drops of Lea & Perrins (forget about French's)
> Worcestershire sauce!
>
> Hmmmm. It's a cold rainy day and Swiss Steak sounds awfully
> good right now!
>
> sf

Agreed. Gotta be L&P.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip OP)
> You may want to slice it more thinly; I don't think I've ever seen
> top round that thick.

I could take a picture for you. :-)

> Add to the meat in the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake
> at 325F for 2-1/2 to 3 hours until the beef is tender. Trust me, it
> *does* get tender. Very tasty gravy, too!

> Jill

OK. I'm seeing that I should be baking it low and long instead of
hoping for 30 minutes stovetop.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip OP)
> You may want to slice it more thinly; I don't think I've ever seen
> top round that thick.

I could take a picture for you. :-)

> Add to the meat in the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake
> at 325F for 2-1/2 to 3 hours until the beef is tender. Trust me, it
> *does* get tender. Very tasty gravy, too!

> Jill

OK. I'm seeing that I should be baking it low and long instead of
hoping for 30 minutes stovetop.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:34:38 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> > I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any
> > reason I should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for
> > my Swish Steak? I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three
> > years. Must be because I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.

> I have a meat tenderizer that is a mallet of sorts with
> bumps on it. I pound whatever pieces of meat it is and
> pound in some flour at the end.

I had one and thought it was pretty useless. Ditched it 30 years ago.
I use a knife or the side of a saucer.

> It seems to me that you can pound it thin enough. Do you
> plan on cutting it into pieces or do you have a pot big
> enough to accomodate it whole?

I can cut the piece in half both directions and have two separate meals.
We're not real huge meat eaters.

> I'd braise it for 2 or 3 hours. It all depends on how thick
> and tough it is when you finish pounding. Don't forget to
> add a few drops of Lea & Perrins (forget about French's)
> Worcestershire sauce!
>
> Hmmmm. It's a cold rainy day and Swiss Steak sounds awfully
> good right now!

Thanks, Barbara.
-B

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Hahabogus
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> : >
> > What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
> > should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets
> > tender.

> Mom used to pound the hell outa the steak.

A woman after my own heart.

> Season it with salt and
> pepper. Put it on a piece of foil and wrap it up with the contents of a
> small can of crushed tomatoes and a mess of sliced onions. I add some
> garlic and some ground chipotle . And bake this at 275 or 300 till well
> done 2-3 hrs.

Hmm, hadn't considered foil. The tomato and onion thang is what I had
in mind, though.

> Have you considered butterflying and stuffing it?

When hell freezes over. :-) Sounds like nothing I want to have
anything to do with. Not because it wouldn't taste good, but because it
sounds like too much work.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Hahabogus
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> : >
> > What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
> > should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets
> > tender.

> Mom used to pound the hell outa the steak.

A woman after my own heart.

> Season it with salt and
> pepper. Put it on a piece of foil and wrap it up with the contents of a
> small can of crushed tomatoes and a mess of sliced onions. I add some
> garlic and some ground chipotle . And bake this at 275 or 300 till well
> done 2-3 hrs.

Hmm, hadn't considered foil. The tomato and onion thang is what I had
in mind, though.

> Have you considered butterflying and stuffing it?

When hell freezes over. :-) Sounds like nothing I want to have
anything to do with. Not because it wouldn't taste good, but because it
sounds like too much work.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Sheryl Rosen

Melba's Jammin' at wrote on 1/2/05 6:39 PM:

> In article >, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
>>> should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets
>>> tender.

>> I don't see any advantage to slicing it in half, other than to reduce
>> the thickness of tough meat that you have to chew through if you use
>> the same technique that lead to it being tough on previous tries.
>> Perhaps you would be better off to beat it with one of those meat
>> tenderizing mallets.

> That's a given, although I usually use a knife or the edge of a saucer.
> Planning to slice it because I don't want it that thick and the round
> steak I usually buy is thinner. The stuff they had that was thinner,
> though, was considerably thinner -- and more expensive.
>
>> It's been years since I have done Swiss Steak,
>> but I do a lot of other braising, and from my experience the trick is
>> to brown the meat and then *simmer* being very careful not to boil
>> it. I get the best results when I start things in a pan or Dutch
>> oven remove the meat while the sauce is thickened a bit, then stick
>> it in a 300 degree oven for a few hours, and even better if it is
>> prepared ahead of time and then re-heated in the oven the next
>> day.

> Gack. I wonder if this is one for the dreaded crock pot.

Yeah, I'd crock pot it.

Brown it first, of course.

Then smother it with sauteed onions, sliced green bell peppers if you like
them. Mushrooms couldn't hurt. Lots of caramelized onions though.

About a cup of tomato sauce. No more than a cup, especially if you're crock
potting it. Some worcestershire really adds zing to it.

Just let it cook on low for 5-6 hours.

(3-3.5 hours in the oven at 300 degrees.)

You can thicken the gravy when the meat is tender with potato starch (or
other starch), or you could transfer it to a skillet and reduce it.

Either way, serve it with noodles or mashed potatoes to take advantage of
the wonderful gravy.

I usually use bottom round for swiss steak, though, Barb.

Top Round, such as you describe, I usually marinate it for 24-36 hours in an
acidy marinade and then broil or grill it as "London Broil".

But this top round can be done this way.

And yes, to answer your question, I would "butterfly" the meat, then cut
into portions. Probably get 6-8 servings this way.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip)
> > Gack. I wonder if this is one for the dreaded crock pot.

> Not necessary. A nice big covered pot in an oven at 300-325 will do
> just fine. I have a faint recollection of a crock pot as a wedding
> present many years ago, but don't remember ever using it, or giving
> it away. I have never had anything cooked in a crock pot that was
> good enough to bother with.

You and me both, Kiddo! I use it for caramelizing onions and for
keeping cider hot. anything else I've ever done in it was worthy of a
quick pitch in the garbage. and yet some people swear by them. Go
figure.

> More power to those who use them successfully, but my cupboard space
> is already taken up with things I have use for.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip)
> > Gack. I wonder if this is one for the dreaded crock pot.

> Not necessary. A nice big covered pot in an oven at 300-325 will do
> just fine. I have a faint recollection of a crock pot as a wedding
> present many years ago, but don't remember ever using it, or giving
> it away. I have never had anything cooked in a crock pot that was
> good enough to bother with.

You and me both, Kiddo! I use it for caramelizing onions and for
keeping cider hot. anything else I've ever done in it was worthy of a
quick pitch in the garbage. and yet some people swear by them. Go
figure.

> More power to those who use them successfully, but my cupboard space
> is already taken up with things I have use for.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dog3
> wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote in
> :
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> >> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason
> >> I should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish
> >> Steak? I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must
> >> be because I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.
> >>
> >> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
> >> should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets
> >> tender.
> >>
> >> I await your counsel and advise. (Pork chow mein for supper tonight
> >> from last week's last of the pork loin.)

> > I would make beef jerky with a top round that thick. ;-)
> >
> > Do you have a tenderizing mallet to beat the s! out of it?
> > Bob
> >

> That is pretty much our method except we use a tomato sauce and
> onions for the gravy. I have never been happy with mine. I may try
> the milk gravy next time I make it, if I ever do. The tenderizing
> mallet is the key here. I beat the snot out of it before flouring
> and frying. Then I add the tomato sauce, onions and simmer for
> probably a couple of hours. It is not bad, I'm just not happy with
> it. I can never get it to taste as good as granny's.

> Michael

OK, I think my problem is not cooking it long enough. I also have a
tough time with a really low heat. I'll be reporting back.
-B
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dog3
> wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote in
> :
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> >> I've got a 1.75# slab of top round that's an inch thick. Any reason
> >> I should not attempt to slice it in half horizontally for my Swish
> >> Steak? I haven't made that stuff in at least two-three years. Must
> >> be because I'm never satisfied with how it comes out.
> >>
> >> What's your way to do it? Mostly, I'm interested in how long it
> >> should braise or simmer before it's done -- and if it EVER gets
> >> tender.
> >>
> >> I await your counsel and advise. (Pork chow mein for supper tonight
> >> from last week's last of the pork loin.)

> > I would make beef jerky with a top round that thick. ;-)
> >
> > Do you have a tenderizing mallet to beat the s! out of it?
> > Bob
> >

> That is pretty much our method except we use a tomato sauce and
> onions for the gravy. I have never been happy with mine. I may try
> the milk gravy next time I make it, if I ever do. The tenderizing
> mallet is the key here. I beat the snot out of it before flouring
> and frying. Then I add the tomato sauce, onions and simmer for
> probably a couple of hours. It is not bad, I'm just not happy with
> it. I can never get it to taste as good as granny's.

> Michael

OK, I think my problem is not cooking it long enough. I also have a
tough time with a really low heat. I'll be reporting back.
-B
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> (snip OP)
>> You may want to slice it more thinly; I don't think I've ever seen
>> top round that thick.

> I could take a picture for you. :-)
>
>> Add to the meat in the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake
>> at 325F for 2-1/2 to 3 hours until the beef is tender. Trust me, it
>> *does* get tender. Very tasty gravy, too!

>> Jill

> OK. I'm seeing that I should be baking it low and long instead of
> hoping for 30 minutes stovetop.

30 minutes for round steak? Nada! Nope. No way. Not if you want "tender".
The red wine vinegar helps do the trick and if you wish you may slam the
crap out of the meat with the side of a cleaver rather than a mallet. Works
just as well.

If you want 'Swiss Steak' you should pretty much ignore the cream gravy
suggestions; that's more like country fried steak. The vinegar, garlic and
the ginger make this nicely spiced. You can add some diced onion if you
wish. It's one of those "toss in what you want" dishes.

Jill

zxcvbob

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' at wrote on 1/2/05 6:39 PM:
>

>>In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>I don't see any advantage to slicing it in half, other than to reduce
>>>the thickness of tough meat that you have to chew through if you use
>>>the same technique that lead to it being tough on previous tries.
>>>Perhaps you would be better off to beat it with one of those meat
>>>tenderizing mallets.

>>That's a given, although I usually use a knife or the edge of a saucer.
>>Planning to slice it because I don't want it that thick and the round
>>steak I usually buy is thinner. The stuff they had that was thinner,
>>though, was considerably thinner -- and more expensive.
>>

>>>It's been years since I have done Swiss Steak,
>>>but I do a lot of other braising, and from my experience the trick is
>>>to brown the meat and then *simmer* being very careful not to boil
>>>it. I get the best results when I start things in a pan or Dutch
>>>oven remove the meat while the sauce is thickened a bit, then stick
>>>it in a 300 degree oven for a few hours, and even better if it is
>>>prepared ahead of time and then re-heated in the oven the next
>>>day.

>>Gack. I wonder if this is one for the dreaded crock pot.

> Yeah, I'd crock pot it.
>
> Brown it first, of course.
>
> Then smother it with sauteed onions, sliced green bell peppers if you like
> them. Mushrooms couldn't hurt. Lots of caramelized onions though.
>
> About a cup of tomato sauce. No more than a cup, especially if you're crock
> potting it. Some worcestershire really adds zing to it.
>
> Just let it cook on low for 5-6 hours.
>
> (3-3.5 hours in the oven at 300 degrees.)
>
> You can thicken the gravy when the meat is tender with potato starch (or
> other starch), or you could transfer it to a skillet and reduce it.
>
> Either way, serve it with noodles or mashed potatoes to take advantage of
> the wonderful gravy.
>
> I usually use bottom round for swiss steak, though, Barb.
>
> Top Round, such as you describe, I usually marinate it for 24-36 hours in an
> acidy marinade and then broil or grill it as "London Broil".
>
> But this top round can be done this way.
>
> And yes, to answer your question, I would "butterfly" the meat, then cut
> into portions. Probably get 6-8 servings this way.

Ixnay the crock pot. Use your small electric roaster. It will do
anything a crockpot will, except it will be good. :-P

Bob

zxcvbob

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' at wrote on 1/2/05 6:39 PM:
>

>>In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>I don't see any advantage to slicing it in half, other than to reduce
>>>the thickness of tough meat that you have to chew through if you use
>>>the same technique that lead to it being tough on previous tries.
>>>Perhaps you would be better off to beat it with one of those meat
>>>tenderizing mallets.

>>That's a given, although I usually use a knife or the edge of a saucer.
>>Planning to slice it because I don't want it that thick and the round
>>steak I usually buy is thinner. The stuff they had that was thinner,
>>though, was considerably thinner -- and more expensive.
>>

>>>It's been years since I have done Swiss Steak,
>>>but I do a lot of other braising, and from my experience the trick is
>>>to brown the meat and then *simmer* being very careful not to boil
>>>it. I get the best results when I start things in a pan or Dutch
>>>oven remove the meat while the sauce is thickened a bit, then stick
>>>it in a 300 degree oven for a few hours, and even better if it is
>>>prepared ahead of time and then re-heated in the oven the next
>>>day.

>>Gack. I wonder if this is one for the dreaded crock pot.

> Yeah, I'd crock pot it.
>
> Brown it first, of course.
>
> Then smother it with sauteed onions, sliced green bell peppers if you like
> them. Mushrooms couldn't hurt. Lots of caramelized onions though.
>
> About a cup of tomato sauce. No more than a cup, especially if you're crock
> potting it. Some worcestershire really adds zing to it.
>
> Just let it cook on low for 5-6 hours.
>
> (3-3.5 hours in the oven at 300 degrees.)
>
> You can thicken the gravy when the meat is tender with potato starch (or
> other starch), or you could transfer it to a skillet and reduce it.
>
> Either way, serve it with noodles or mashed potatoes to take advantage of
> the wonderful gravy.
>
> I usually use bottom round for swiss steak, though, Barb.
>
> Top Round, such as you describe, I usually marinate it for 24-36 hours in an
> acidy marinade and then broil or grill it as "London Broil".
>
> But this top round can be done this way.
>
> And yes, to answer your question, I would "butterfly" the meat, then cut
> into portions. Probably get 6-8 servings this way.

Ixnay the crock pot. Use your small electric roaster. It will do
anything a crockpot will, except it will be good. :-P

Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, "jmcquown"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > (snip OP)
> >> You may want to slice it more thinly; I don't think I've ever seen
> >> top round that thick.

> > I could take a picture for you. :-)
> >
> >> Add to the meat in the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake
> >> at 325F for 2-1/2 to 3 hours until the beef is tender. Trust me, it
> >> *does* get tender. Very tasty gravy, too!

> >> Jill

> > OK. I'm seeing that I should be baking it low and long instead of
> > hoping for 30 minutes stovetop.

> 30 minutes for round steak? Nada! Nope. No way.

Well, see now? Live and learn. :-)

> Not if you want
> "tender". The red wine vinegar helps do the trick and if you wish you
> may slam the crap out of the meat with the side of a cleaver rather
> than a mallet. Works just as well.

I haf my ways.

> If you want 'Swiss Steak' you should pretty much ignore the cream
> gravy suggestions; that's more like country fried steak.
> Jill

Right. I won't be doing cream gravy. It'll be a tomatoey thing.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, "jmcquown"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > (snip OP)
> >> You may want to slice it more thinly; I don't think I've ever seen
> >> top round that thick.

> > I could take a picture for you. :-)
> >
> >> Add to the meat in the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake
> >> at 325F for 2-1/2 to 3 hours until the beef is tender. Trust me, it
> >> *does* get tender. Very tasty gravy, too!

> >> Jill

> > OK. I'm seeing that I should be baking it low and long instead of
> > hoping for 30 minutes stovetop.

> 30 minutes for round steak? Nada! Nope. No way.

Well, see now? Live and learn. :-)

> Not if you want
> "tender". The red wine vinegar helps do the trick and if you wish you
> may slam the crap out of the meat with the side of a cleaver rather
> than a mallet. Works just as well.

I haf my ways.

> If you want 'Swiss Steak' you should pretty much ignore the cream
> gravy suggestions; that's more like country fried steak.
> Jill

Right. I won't be doing cream gravy. It'll be a tomatoey thing.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' at wrote on 1/2/05 6:39 PM:
>
> > In article >, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > Gack. I wonder if this is one for the dreaded crock pot.

> Yeah, I'd crock pot it.
>
> Brown it first, of course.
>
> Then smother it with sauteed onions, sliced green bell peppers if you
> like them. Mushrooms couldn't hurt. Lots of caramelized onions
> though.
>
> About a cup of tomato sauce. No more than a cup, especially if you're
> crock potting it. Some worcestershire really adds zing to it.

> Just let it cook on low for 5-6 hours.
>
> (3-3.5 hours in the oven at 300 degrees.)

It's entirely possible that I make lousy Swiss Steak because my mom did.
I don't remember her doing it in the oven and I sure don't remember her
cooking it for 2-3 hours. She made gret soup, though. :-/

> You can thicken the gravy when the meat is tender with potato starch (or
> other starch), or you could transfer it to a skillet and reduce it.
>
> Either way, serve it with noodles or mashed potatoes to take advantage of
> the wonderful gravy.

I've got my potato all ready.

> I usually use bottom round for swiss steak, though, Barb.

Thanks, Sheryl. I was seeing both and have no friggin' idea what the
difference is.

> Top Round, such as you describe, I usually marinate it for 24-36
> hours in an acidy marinade and then broil or grill it as "London
> Broil".
>

> But this top round can be done this way.
>
> And yes, to answer your question, I would "butterfly" the meat, then cut
> into portions. Probably get 6-8 servings this way.

Me, too. At least four. :-) Actually, six may be more realistic.
Thanks, Kiddo.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' at wrote on 1/2/05 6:39 PM:
>
> > In article >, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > Gack. I wonder if this is one for the dreaded crock pot.

> Yeah, I'd crock pot it.
>
> Brown it first, of course.
>
> Then smother it with sauteed onions, sliced green bell peppers if you
> like them. Mushrooms couldn't hurt. Lots of caramelized onions
> though.
>
> About a cup of tomato sauce. No more than a cup, especially if you're
> crock potting it. Some worcestershire really adds zing to it.

> Just let it cook on low for 5-6 hours.
>
> (3-3.5 hours in the oven at 300 degrees.)

It's entirely possible that I make lousy Swiss Steak because my mom did.
I don't remember her doing it in the oven and I sure don't remember her
cooking it for 2-3 hours. She made gret soup, though. :-/

> You can thicken the gravy when the meat is tender with potato starch (or
> other starch), or you could transfer it to a skillet and reduce it.
>
> Either way, serve it with noodles or mashed potatoes to take advantage of
> the wonderful gravy.

I've got my potato all ready.

Swiss Steak? merryb General Cooking 35 20-10-2011 07:33 AM
Swiss Steak (One) [email protected], [email protected], Recipes (moderated) 0 14-02-2007 02:02 PM
Salisbury Steak / Swiss Steak Ingredients Debbie General Cooking 6 08-05-2006 01:15 AM
I need your counsel re round steak for Swiss steak Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 0 02-01-2005 10:34 PM
Round Steak JJGrey General Cooking 2 31-07-2004 08:21 PM