The Ranger

Default New Year's Eve Bounty?

[posted to ac-c, too]

What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?

Clan Ranger broke with a five-generation tradition of fresh-baked
cornbread spears and black-eyed peas. Instead, we put out apple and
pear slices, carrot and celery sticks, sesame toaster sticks, and
five humus spreads (olive, caper, garlic, roasted garlic*, and
eggplant). The Perpetual 20-yo also stopped by with a couple
samples of tobiko (flying fish roe) and caviar. (I'm not sure my
palate's willing to adjust to Beluga; I much preferred the
snap-crackle-pop of the tobiko.)

The adults enjoyed multiple bottles of Gloria Ferrer Brut NV while
the kid-crowd enjoyed the free-flowing Martinelli's Sparkling Apple
Cider.

All-in-all, a worthy break from tradition.

The Ranger

* Who knew this single spread would be the kid-crowd favorite! I
don't think one adult was able to get near it after Daughter-unit
Beta's exclaimed announcement on how "simply scrum-edible-ishush"
it was with the Fuji apples.
Margaret Suran

The Ranger wrote:
> [posted to ac-c, too]
>
> What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?
>
> Clan Ranger broke with a five-generation tradition of fresh-baked
> cornbread spears and black-eyed peas. Instead, we put out apple and
> pear slices, carrot and celery sticks, sesame toaster sticks, and
> five humus spreads (olive, caper, garlic, roasted garlic*, and
> eggplant). The Perpetual 20-yo also stopped by with a couple
> samples of tobiko (flying fish roe) and caviar. (I'm not sure my
> palate's willing to adjust to Beluga; I much preferred the
> snap-crackle-pop of the tobiko.)
>
> The adults enjoyed multiple bottles of Gloria Ferrer Brut NV while
> the kid-crowd enjoyed the free-flowing Martinelli's Sparkling Apple
> Cider.
>
> All-in-all, a worthy break from tradition.
>
> The Ranger
>
> * Who knew this single spread would be the kid-crowd favorite! I
> don't think one adult was able to get near it after Daughter-unit
> Beta's exclaimed announcement on how "simply scrum-edible-ishush"
> it was with the Fuji apples.

Once more, Happy New Year. My New Year's Eve was very nice. Marcel
and I went to the party, the same one we have attended for many years,
getting there shortly after eight. We were fourteen people.

For a cold appetizer, there was a very large platter with steamed
shrimp with cocktail sauce. I do not eat shrimp, but from the way
the others wolfed them down, they must have been delicious. There was
also Guacamole with chips, the dip was made and brought by one of the
guests, the chips were bought.

For hot appetizers, there were wonderful cheese balls, which were made
by pouring a tangy cheese mixture, made of four cheeses and mixed with
spices and butter and eggs, over large cubes of white bread and then
baked.
There were also hot mushroom thingies and the traditional mini franks
rolled in dough and baked. They were the ones that disappeared the
quickest. )

Dinner was wonderful. The appetizer was a nicely spiced crepe filled
with cheese, topped with tomato sauce and more cheese on top and
baked. That course was served to the guests, while the main course
was presented buffet style in the kitchen. Esther had made a
wonderful roasted veal and an even better Coq Au Vin. There was a
white and wild rice dish, which was different, because the white rice
was first sautéed, as in fried rice, which gave it a different texture
and taste. There was also a spinach soufflé that was great.

For dessert, there was a Hazelnut Dacquoise (sp?), which one of the
guests makes every year for the party. It is simply too good to try
and explain. Sometimes she makes it of chocolate, but this year one
of the guests is allergic to chocolate. Esther had made a Plum Cake
during the Summer and frozen it for last night's dinner. That was the
"plain" dessert. For the piece de resistance, Esther had "constructed
a huge ice cream cake. Again, there is no way to tell you how good it
was. It had several flavors of ice cream, the sweetness offset with
sour cherries. There were nuts and other goodies in it, too and the
whole cake was enrobed in Whipped Cream.

Wine and other drinks abounded.

For toasting in the New Year, there was Champagne, which neither
Marcel nor I drink, but everybody else enjoyed.

Esther will be happy to supply me with any recipe one of you may want.

Margaret Suran

The Ranger wrote:
> [...]

guests makes every year for the party. It is simply too good to try
and explain. Sometimes she makes it of chocolate, but this year one
of the guests is allergic to chocolate. Esther had made a Plum Cake
during the Summer and frozen it for last night's dinner. That was the
"plain" dessert. For the piece de resistance, Esther had "constructed
a huge ice cream cake. Again, there is no way to tell you how good it
was. It had several flavors of ice cream, the sweetness offset with
sour cherries. There were nuts and other goodies in it, too and the
whole cake was enrobed in Whipped Cream.

Wine and other drinks abounded.

For toasting in the New Year, there was Champagne, which neither
Marcel nor I drink, but everybody else enjoyed.

Esther will be happy to supply me with any recipe one of you may want.

JimLane

The Ranger wrote:
> [posted to ac-c, too]
>
> What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?

Went to my cycling partner's home and had homemade tamales - pork,
chicken, cheese and sweet (with cranberries). Mulled cider before, negra
modelo with.

jim
JimLane

The Ranger wrote:
> [posted to ac-c, too]
>
> What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?

Went to my cycling partner's home and had homemade tamales - pork,
chicken, cheese and sweet (with cranberries). Mulled cider before, negra
modelo with.

jim

Nexis

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> [posted to ac-c, too]
>
> What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?
>
> Clan Ranger broke with a five-generation tradition of fresh-baked
> cornbread spears and black-eyed peas. Instead, we put out apple and
> pear slices, carrot and celery sticks, sesame toaster sticks, and
> five humus spreads (olive, caper, garlic, roasted garlic*, and
> eggplant). The Perpetual 20-yo also stopped by with a couple
> samples of tobiko (flying fish roe) and caviar. (I'm not sure my
> palate's willing to adjust to Beluga; I much preferred the
> snap-crackle-pop of the tobiko.)
>
> The adults enjoyed multiple bottles of Gloria Ferrer Brut NV while
> the kid-crowd enjoyed the free-flowing Martinelli's Sparkling Apple
> Cider.
>
> All-in-all, a worthy break from tradition.
>
> The Ranger
>
> * Who knew this single spread would be the kid-crowd favorite! I
> don't think one adult was able to get near it after Daughter-unit
> Beta's exclaimed announcement on how "simply scrum-edible-ishush"
> it was with the Fuji apples.

Not in any particular order...

My sister in law made hot and spicy artichoke dip (served with cubes of
jalapeno bread and tortilla chips), and homemade ranch (served with an array
of veggies). My friend made jalapeno poppers, pizza poppers, cookies, salsa
and guacamole. I made tequila-lime chicken, served on a bed of crispy
tortilla strips, Spanish rice, flautas, and a few different chocolate
fondues (dark/bittersweet, milk, and white) and a caramel fondue. For
dippers we ended up with strawberries, marshmallows, bananas, cookie pieces,
orange sections, pineapple spears, pear slices, apple slices, angel food
cake, vanilla bean cheesecake, kahlua cheesecake.

I made my famous punch, which a few added either peach schnapps or a bit of
Grey Goose to, and also pineapple and lime margaritas. Coffee, iced tea,
cinnamon orange tea, milk and water were also served.

It was all spread out throughout the day, but I think everyone enjoyed the
spread and it was nice to let others help out with the food this time! I'm
going to have to make a habit of that!

Happy New Year!

kimberly

Nexis

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> [posted to ac-c, too]
>
> What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?
>
> Clan Ranger broke with a five-generation tradition of fresh-baked
> cornbread spears and black-eyed peas. Instead, we put out apple and
> pear slices, carrot and celery sticks, sesame toaster sticks, and
> five humus spreads (olive, caper, garlic, roasted garlic*, and
> eggplant). The Perpetual 20-yo also stopped by with a couple
> samples of tobiko (flying fish roe) and caviar. (I'm not sure my
> palate's willing to adjust to Beluga; I much preferred the
> snap-crackle-pop of the tobiko.)
>
> The adults enjoyed multiple bottles of Gloria Ferrer Brut NV while
> the kid-crowd enjoyed the free-flowing Martinelli's Sparkling Apple
> Cider.
>
> All-in-all, a worthy break from tradition.
>
> The Ranger
>
> * Who knew this single spread would be the kid-crowd favorite! I
> don't think one adult was able to get near it after Daughter-unit
> Beta's exclaimed announcement on how "simply scrum-edible-ishush"
> it was with the Fuji apples.

Not in any particular order...

My sister in law made hot and spicy artichoke dip (served with cubes of
jalapeno bread and tortilla chips), and homemade ranch (served with an array
of veggies). My friend made jalapeno poppers, pizza poppers, cookies, salsa
and guacamole. I made tequila-lime chicken, served on a bed of crispy
tortilla strips, Spanish rice, flautas, and a few different chocolate
fondues (dark/bittersweet, milk, and white) and a caramel fondue. For
dippers we ended up with strawberries, marshmallows, bananas, cookie pieces,
orange sections, pineapple spears, pear slices, apple slices, angel food
cake, vanilla bean cheesecake, kahlua cheesecake.

I made my famous punch, which a few added either peach schnapps or a bit of
Grey Goose to, and also pineapple and lime margaritas. Coffee, iced tea,
cinnamon orange tea, milk and water were also served.

It was all spread out throughout the day, but I think everyone enjoyed the
spread and it was nice to let others help out with the food this time! I'm
going to have to make a habit of that!

Happy New Year!

kimberly

Dave Smith

The Ranger wrote:

> [posted to ac-c, too]
>
> What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?

We started off with Coquilles St.Jacques. Pepper Steaks for the main
course, and Tirmamisu for dessert.

Dave Smith

The Ranger wrote:

> [posted to ac-c, too]
>
> What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?

We started off with Coquilles St.Jacques. Pepper Steaks for the main
course, and Tirmamisu for dessert.

Jeff Bienstadt

The Ranger wrote:

> [posted to ac-c, too]
>
> What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?

Dungeness crab for dinner, a snack of pickled herring on Triscuits for a
snack before bed --- crashed at 9:30!

---jkb

--
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie!"
-- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

sf

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:08:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> The Ranger wrote:
>
> > [posted to ac-c, too]
> >
> > What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?

> We started off with Coquilles St.Jacques. Pepper Steaks for the main
> course, and Tirmamisu for dessert.

Finger foods. Ham, fresh crab, gravlax, artichoke dip,
fresh fruit and cheese...

sf
Boron Elgar

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:56:13 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:08:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> The Ranger wrote:
>>
>> > [posted to ac-c, too]
>> >
>> > What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?

>> We started off with Coquilles St.Jacques. Pepper Steaks for the main
>> course, and Tirmamisu for dessert.

>Finger foods. Ham, fresh crab, gravlax, artichoke dip,
>fresh fruit and cheese...
>
>sf

Finger foods here, too..We had cold shrimp, cubano sandwiches,
taquitos, various cheeses and home made cream puffs with pastry cream
and hot chocolate sauce.

Boron
Boron Elgar

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:56:13 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:08:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> The Ranger wrote:
>>
>> > [posted to ac-c, too]
>> >
>> > What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?

>> We started off with Coquilles St.Jacques. Pepper Steaks for the main
>> course, and Tirmamisu for dessert.

>Finger foods. Ham, fresh crab, gravlax, artichoke dip,
>fresh fruit and cheese...
>
>sf

Finger foods here, too..We had cold shrimp, cubano sandwiches,
taquitos, various cheeses and home made cream puffs with pastry cream
and hot chocolate sauce.

Boron
Rodney Myrvaagnes

We had planned a dinner with another couple at our appt. Unfortunately
their daughter flew in getting ill and ended up in intensive care.

We had ready: lobsters, a side of gravlax made from wild King Salmon,
not traditional but yummy; a bison tenderloin, shiitake mushrooms,
mache, infused oils made with chives, basil.

So left alone we had a lobster and mache salad for Friday lunch with a
bottle of Gruet bubbly. Then we went to Battery Park and had some
chianti sitting at an outdoor table in the sunshine. A wild turkey was
in the park. I don't know if it was the same one that spent a few days
there last year.

For dinner we had some of the gravlax with accompaniments. I have
mentioned this before, but I strongly urge trying wild king salmon for
making gravlax. It is obviously non-traditional for a scandinavian
dish, but I think you will like it anyway.

THis evening we had a piece from the thick end of the bison tenderloin
grilled "Rossini," with foie gras melted on it as it came off the
grill pan. For amuse-bouche, tomalley from the lobsters zapped on
pieces of sourdough bread. A 2001 Ridge Geyserville was perfiect with
the steak.

We had the shiitakes for dinner last night, oven roasted in an iron
pan. We used a recipe in Mario Batttali's Babbo cookbook, which was
the source for the lobster and mache salad as well. I don't usually
hav ethe discipline to follow recipes, but these both worked
beautifully.

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:56:13 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:08:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> The Ranger wrote:
>>
>> > [posted to ac-c, too]
>> >
>> > What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?

>> We started off with Coquilles St.Jacques. Pepper Steaks for the main
>> course, and Tirmamisu for dessert.

>Finger foods. Ham, fresh crab, gravlax, artichoke dip,
>fresh fruit and cheese...
>
>sf

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Entering your freshman dorm for the first time, and seeing
an axe head come through the door on your right.
Rodney Myrvaagnes

We had planned a dinner with another couple at our appt. Unfortunately
their daughter flew in getting ill and ended up in intensive care.

We had ready: lobsters, a side of gravlax made from wild King Salmon,
not traditional but yummy; a bison tenderloin, shiitake mushrooms,
mache, infused oils made with chives, basil.

So left alone we had a lobster and mache salad for Friday lunch with a
bottle of Gruet bubbly. Then we went to Battery Park and had some
chianti sitting at an outdoor table in the sunshine. A wild turkey was
in the park. I don't know if it was the same one that spent a few days
there last year.

For dinner we had some of the gravlax with accompaniments. I have
mentioned this before, but I strongly urge trying wild king salmon for
making gravlax. It is obviously non-traditional for a scandinavian
dish, but I think you will like it anyway.

THis evening we had a piece from the thick end of the bison tenderloin
grilled "Rossini," with foie gras melted on it as it came off the
grill pan. For amuse-bouche, tomalley from the lobsters zapped on
pieces of sourdough bread. A 2001 Ridge Geyserville was perfiect with
the steak.

We had the shiitakes for dinner last night, oven roasted in an iron
pan. We used a recipe in Mario Batttali's Babbo cookbook, which was
the source for the lobster and mache salad as well. I don't usually
hav ethe discipline to follow recipes, but these both worked
beautifully.

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:56:13 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:08:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> The Ranger wrote:
>>
>> > [posted to ac-c, too]
>> >
>> > What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?

>> We started off with Coquilles St.Jacques. Pepper Steaks for the main
>> course, and Tirmamisu for dessert.

>Finger foods. Ham, fresh crab, gravlax, artichoke dip,
>fresh fruit and cheese...
>
>sf

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Entering your freshman dorm for the first time, and seeing
an axe head come through the door on your right.

Bubba

The Ranger wrote:

>[posted to ac-c, too]
>
>What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?
>
>Clan Ranger broke with a five-generation tradition of fresh-baked
>cornbread spears and black-eyed peas. Instead, we put out apple and
>pear slices, carrot and celery sticks, sesame toaster sticks, and
>five humus spreads (olive, caper, garlic, roasted garlic*, and
>eggplant). The Perpetual 20-yo also stopped by with a couple
>samples of tobiko (flying fish roe) and caviar. (I'm not sure my
>palate's willing to adjust to Beluga; I much preferred the
>snap-crackle-pop of the tobiko.)
>
>The adults enjoyed multiple bottles of Gloria Ferrer Brut NV while
>the kid-crowd enjoyed the free-flowing Martinelli's Sparkling Apple
>Cider.
>
>All-in-all, a worthy break from tradition.
>
>The Ranger
>
>* Who knew this single spread would be the kid-crowd favorite! I
>don't think one adult was able to get near it after Daughter-unit
>Beta's exclaimed announcement on how "simply scrum-edible-ishush"
>it was with the Fuji apples.

Bonfire, hotdogs, Southwestern slaw, beans, chocolate-peppermint cupcakes.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Bubba

The Ranger wrote:

>[posted to ac-c, too]
>
>What foods did everyone end up noshing on to ring in the New Year?
>
>Clan Ranger broke with a five-generation tradition of fresh-baked
>cornbread spears and black-eyed peas. Instead, we put out apple and
>pear slices, carrot and celery sticks, sesame toaster sticks, and
>five humus spreads (olive, caper, garlic, roasted garlic*, and
>eggplant). The Perpetual 20-yo also stopped by with a couple
>samples of tobiko (flying fish roe) and caviar. (I'm not sure my
>palate's willing to adjust to Beluga; I much preferred the
>snap-crackle-pop of the tobiko.)
>
>The adults enjoyed multiple bottles of Gloria Ferrer Brut NV while
>the kid-crowd enjoyed the free-flowing Martinelli's Sparkling Apple
>Cider.
>
>All-in-all, a worthy break from tradition.
>
>The Ranger
>
>* Who knew this single spread would be the kid-crowd favorite! I
>don't think one adult was able to get near it after Daughter-unit
>Beta's exclaimed announcement on how "simply scrum-edible-ishush"
>it was with the Fuji apples.

Bonfire, hotdogs, Southwestern slaw, beans, chocolate-peppermint cupcakes.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Chris Neidecker

We made pad thai for a late supper. I had been craving it, and it hit the
spot. While we ate, our 4-year-old had her New Year's Eve treat, which was
an ice cream sandwich with a chocolate chip milkshake to drink (her choice).

Chris Neidecker

We made pad thai for a late supper. I had been craving it, and it hit the
spot. While we ate, our 4-year-old had her New Year's Eve treat, which was
an ice cream sandwich with a chocolate chip milkshake to drink (her choice).

sf

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:14:25 -0500, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> wrote:

> We had planned a dinner with another couple at our appt.

I love doing that and what we attended was almost as "cozy".

> Unfortunately their daughter flew in getting ill and ended
> up in intensive care.

That's serious! I'm guessing it was appendicitis. BAH!
What a "new year's welcome" for your friends and their
daughter.

:\

<snip>

sf
sf

Tomato bounty Serene Vannoy Preserving 3 29-08-2011 04:34 AM
Summer Bounty Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 5 10-07-2010 07:31 PM
Wonderful Bounty Tara General Cooking 16 13-06-2010 02:04 AM
Today's bounty George Shirley Preserving 9 02-07-2009 10:41 PM
My CSA bounty this week Bob Terwilliger General Cooking 18 28-07-2006 03:32 AM