Deepak Saxena

Default Falafel...cooked vs raw garbanzo beans??

Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel recipes
with either cooked or raw beans. What's traditional and what
have people found works best from experience? I'm making some
for the first time tonight and have the chick peas currently
soaking. My worry with using them raw is digestion issues and
I am worried about having a pile of mush that won't set if
I cook them before food processing.

Tnx!!
~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net - http://www.plexity.net/
Reg

Deepak Saxena wrote:

> Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel recipes
> with either cooked or raw beans. What's traditional and what
> have people found works best from experience? I'm making some
> for the first time tonight and have the chick peas currently
> soaking. My worry with using them raw is digestion issues and
> I am worried about having a pile of mush that won't set if
> I cook them before food processing.

I prefer to make falafel with slightly undercooked garbanzos.

Deepak Saxena

In article >,
Deepak Saxena > wrote:

>Topic says it all. I have seen variations of falafel recipes
>with either cooked or raw beans. What's traditional and what
>have people found works best from experience? I'm making some
>for the first time tonight and have the chick peas currently
>soaking. My worry with using them raw is digestion issues and
>I am worried about having a pile of mush that won't set if
>I cook them before food processing.

Tnx for the replies. Unfortunately I went ahead and boiled them
and I ended up with stuff that just fell apart upon hitting the
oil. However, it did taste very very much like falafel and I was
able to coerce the patties to stay together by rolling them in
flour first. Slightly different taste, but they got gobbled up
quickly.

Next time I'll do this right.

~Deepak

--