FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pavlova (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/4970-re-pavlova.html)

Daisy 06-03-2004 09:01 AM

Pavlova

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 15:22:21 +0800, Paul Plowman >
wrote:

>I have come across across some exchanges regarding the origins of the
>Pavlova.
>
>Just to clarify things...the cake was invented at the Esplanade Hotel in
>Perth by head chef Bert Sachse. Some have said the cake was named by the
>owner of the Esplanade, Harry Nairn...This is not correct.
>
>At the time the hotel was owned by the Paxton family, who had recently
>hosted Pavlova during a visit to Australia. The cake was created in her
>honour, but was named by Elsie Plowman (nee Paxton).
>
>I hope this clarifies the situation.
>
>Regards
>

>Paul Plowman

Sorry - but this dessert confection definitely originated in New
Zealand. Where I cannot tell you, but there has been publicity about
this for some time now and it has been settled.

How about claiming Peter Jackson as an Australian? It would be in
keeping with Australian attempts to claim anything of world class
across the Ditch.

And by the way, Russell Crowe is New Zealand born - but you can claim
him if you like. We certainly don't want him.

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

lea b 07-03-2004 02:11 AM

Pavlova

Daisy wrote:
> Paul Plowman <> wrote:
>

>> I have come across across some exchanges regarding the origins of the
>> Pavlova.
>>
>> Just to clarify things...the cake was invented at the Esplanade
>> Hotel in Perth by head chef Bert Sachse. Some have said the cake was
>> named by the owner of the Esplanade, Harry Nairn...This is not
>> correct.
>>
>> At the time the hotel was owned by the Paxton family, who had
>> recently hosted Pavlova during a visit to Australia. The cake was
>> created in her honour, but was named by Elsie Plowman (nee Paxton).
>>
>> I hope this clarifies the situation.
>>

> Sorry - but this dessert confection definitely originated in New
> Zealand. Where I cannot tell you, but there has been publicity about
> this for some time now and it has been settled.
>
> How about claiming Peter Jackson as an Australian? It would be in
> keeping with Australian attempts to claim anything of world class
> across the Ditch.
>
> And by the way, Russell Crowe is New Zealand born - but you can claim
> him if you like. We certainly don't want him.

Not all Aussies want to claim NZ'ers as their own.
When I read things like "Our Russ", or Aussie band "Split Enz" etc, I want
to hide too - it's wrong.
I was going to point out the Pav. discrepancy also ( although I didn't think
the rivalry *had* been resolved ? )

And as for PJ and Russ, ugh! - you NZ'ers are a scruffy lot now, aren't you
? :)
( they're all yours ! :)