Dimitri

Default chicken fried steak

"John D. Misrahi" > wrote in message
> I keep reading about 'chicken fried steak'. Can anyone explain to this
> Canadian what it is?
>
> john

Usually it is a piece of Round steak or an other tough lean piece of beef
which has been run through a meat tenderizer - At this point many call it a
cube steak. The steak is then breaded the same as one would bread fried
chicken and then the steak is skillet fried on quite a bit of hot oil much
the same as one would prepare "Southern Fried Chicken" - hence the name
Chicken Fried Steak.

Traditionally, a white milk and pepper gravy is made for the leavings in the
pan and served over the finished steak.

Hope that helps.

Dimitri

Nancree

>keep reading about 'chicken fried steak'. Can anyone explain to this
>Canadian what it is?
>
>john

-------------------------
Well, it has nothing to do with chicken. It is a piece of beef, tenderized ,
that is cooked "like fried chicken"--that is, it is dipped in batter, and fried
in an inch or so of fat. Old Southern custom.

Nancree

John D. Misrahi

I keep reading about 'chicken fried steak'. Can anyone explain to this
Canadian what it is?

john

jmcquown

Dimitri wrote:
> "John D. Misrahi" > wrote in message
>> I keep reading about 'chicken fried steak'. Can anyone explain to
>> this Canadian what it is?
>>
>> john

> Usually it is a piece of Round steak or an other tough lean piece of
> beef which has been run through a meat tenderizer - At this point
> many call it a cube steak. The steak is then breaded the same as one
> would bread fried chicken and then the steak is skillet fried on
> quite a bit of hot oil much the same as one would prepare "Southern
> Fried Chicken" - hence the name Chicken Fried Steak.
>
> Traditionally, a white milk and pepper gravy is made for the leavings
> in the pan and served over the finished steak.
>
> Hope that helps.
>

> Dimitri

Yes, that's pretty much it. Although, if you make the milk gravy thin
enough you can then pop the battered steaks in an iron skillet and pour the
gravy over and heat it through rather than just spoon it over the top.

Jill

sandy

Home > Recipes

Bubba's Country-Fried Steak and Gravy
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Show: Paula's Home Cooking Episode: Scooter Club

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings

SPONSOR ADVERTISEMENT

Click photo to enlarge

Full Page | 3X5 Card | 4X6 Card
No Rating
No Reviews
1 1/2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 (4-ounce) tenderized beef round steak (have butcher run them through
cubing machine)
1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 cups hot water
1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (recommended: Ac'cent), optional
1 bunch green onions, or 1 medium yellow onion, sliced

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a small bowl.
Sprinkle 1 side of the meat with the House Seasoning and the other side with
the seasoning salt, and then dredge the meat in the flour mixture. Heat 1/2
cup oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 or 4 of the
steaks to the hot oil, and fry until browned, about 5-6 minutes per side.
Remove each steak to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with the
remaining steaks, adding up to 1/4 cup more oil, as needed.
Make the gravy by adding the 2 tablespoons remaining flour to the pan
drippings, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon. Stir in the remaining
1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the salt. Reduce the heat to medium and cook,
stirring frequently, until the flour is medium brown and the mixture is
bubbly. Slowly add the water and the Ac'cent, if using, stirring constantly.
Return the steaks to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce the heat to low, and place the onions on top of the steaks. Cover the
pan, and let simmer for 30 minutes.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6
months.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

"John D. Misrahi" > wrote in message
> I keep reading about 'chicken fried steak'. Can anyone explain to this
> Canadian what it is?
>
> john

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pa1b08_country_fried_steak_d.jpg (4.8 KB, 43 views)

AngleWyrm

"John D. Misrahi" > wrote in message
> I keep reading about 'chicken fried steak'. Can anyone explain to

this
> Canadian what it is?

To bread it, take a tenderizing hammer (big spikes) and pound as much
flour into the meat as possible--till it's saturated. Spice the flour
first, if you like. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but it's a nice
stress relief

Mark Thorson

AngleWyrm wrote:

> To bread it, take a tenderizing hammer (big spikes) and pound as much
> flour into the meat as possible--till it's saturated. Spice the flour
> first, if you like. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but it's a nice
> stress relief

If you don't have elbow grease, you can substitute lard. :-)

PENMART01

>"AngleWyrm" writes:

>>Can anyone explain to

>this
>> Canadian what it is?

>To bread it, take a tenderizing hammer (big spikes) and pound as much
>flour into the meat as possible--till it's saturated. Spice the flour
>first, if you like. Takes a bit of elbow grease

No elbow grease a-tall, not iffn ya got a 4,500 pound tractor sportin' Ag
tires.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Orion

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> AngleWyrm wrote:
>
> > To bread it, take a tenderizing hammer (big spikes) and pound as much
> > flour into the meat as possible--till it's saturated. Spice the flour
> > first, if you like. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but it's a nice
> > stress relief

> If you don't have elbow grease, you can substitute lard. :-)

how about ear wax???????

Yeff

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:30:36 -0800, Orion wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> AngleWyrm wrote:
>>
>>> To bread it, take a tenderizing hammer (big spikes) and pound as much
>>> flour into the meat as possible--till it's saturated. Spice the flour
>>> first, if you like. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but it's a nice
>>> stress relief

>> If you don't have elbow grease, you can substitute lard. :-)
>>

> how about ear wax???????

Ear wax on beef? Are you daft?

-Jeff B. (on poultry is another thing altogether...)
yeff at erols dot com

Orion

"Yeff" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:30:36 -0800, Orion wrote:

> >> If you don't have elbow grease, you can substitute lard. :-)
> >>

> > how about ear wax???????

> Ear wax on beef? Are you daft?
>
> -Jeff B. (on poultry is another thing altogether...)
> yeff at erols dot com

doh! forgot, my apologies. Toe jam is for beef.

;-p

Wayne Boatwright

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Dimitri wrote:
>> "John D. Misrahi" > wrote in message
>>> I keep reading about 'chicken fried steak'. Can anyone explain to
>>> this Canadian what it is?
>>>
>>> john

>> Usually it is a piece of Round steak or an other tough lean piece of
>> beef which has been run through a meat tenderizer - At this point
>> many call it a cube steak. The steak is then breaded the same as one
>> would bread fried chicken and then the steak is skillet fried on
>> quite a bit of hot oil much the same as one would prepare "Southern
>> Fried Chicken" - hence the name Chicken Fried Steak.
>>
>> Traditionally, a white milk and pepper gravy is made for the leavings
>> in the pan and served over the finished steak.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>

>> Dimitri

> Yes, that's pretty much it. Although, if you make the milk gravy thin
> enough you can then pop the battered steaks in an iron skillet and
> pour the gravy over and heat it through rather than just spoon it over
> the top.
>
> Jill

Yes, you can do that if you want a soggy crust on the steak, and I know
many people like it that way. Personally, I like the crust to be crisp
and dip bites separately into a small dish of gravy.

Wayne
LET

It's a bit of "southern heaven" on a plate. . . Tenderized beef steak
dredged in seasoned flour and then pan-fried. Serve with a milk-based gravy
that has lots of pepper in it. Another, more accurate name for it is "heart
attack waiting to happen" but it's worth it.

Take care
"John D. Misrahi" > wrote in message
> I keep reading about 'chicken fried steak'. Can anyone explain to this
> Canadian what it is?
>
> john

ConnieG999

"jmcquown" > writes:

>Although, if you make the milk gravy thin
>enough you can then pop the battered steaks in an iron skillet and pour the
>gravy over and heat it through rather than just spoon it over the top.

But then it's not CHICKEN FRIED steak - it's smothered steak or something.
Chicken Fried Steak is never cooked in the gravy like that.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

jmcquown

ConnieG999 wrote:
> "jmcquown" > writes:
>
>> Although, if you make the milk gravy thin
>> enough you can then pop the battered steaks in an iron skillet and
>> pour the gravy over and heat it through rather than just spoon it
>> over the top.
>>

> But then it's not CHICKEN FRIED steak - it's smothered steak or
> something. Chicken Fried Steak is never cooked in the gravy like that.
>
> Connie

Oh what the hell... I love fried and then smothered steak too But
smothered steak is usually with brown gravy, not white, at least, here in
the Southern U.S.

Mpoconnor7

Chicken Fried Steak is also known as Country Fried Steak. You can use a thin
piece of meat and pound it repeatedly but I found using cube steak is much
easier on the arms and wrists. An earlier poster said to batter it, but I dip
the steak in egg wash, then seasoned flour (with a LOT of ground black pepper),
then egg wash, and finally cornmeal. Fry it in a skillet in about an inch of
oil until golden brown. To make it authentic, serve with biscuits and mashed
potatoes made from unpeeled potatoes, and pour white country gravy over
everything. I guess the only other thing you'll need is a steak knife for
cutting the steak.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Janet Bostwick

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"AngleWyrm" writes:

> >>Can anyone explain to

> >this
> >> Canadian what it is?

> >To bread it, take a tenderizing hammer (big spikes) and pound as much
> >flour into the meat as possible--till it's saturated. Spice the flour
> >first, if you like. Takes a bit of elbow grease

> No elbow grease a-tall, not iffn ya got a 4,500 pound tractor sportin' Ag
> tires.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````

glad to hear that you are putting that shiny new tractor to the fullest
possible use ;o}

RMiller

>Traditionally, a white milk and pepper gravy is made for the leavings in the
>pan and served over the finished steak.
>
>Hope that helps.

In my opinion... you gotta have that gravy with it, or it isn't right!

Rosie
JimLane

Mpoconnor7 wrote:
> Chicken Fried Steak is also known as Country Fried Steak. You can use a thin
> piece of meat and pound it repeatedly but I found using cube steak is much
> easier on the arms and wrists. An earlier poster said to batter it, but I dip
> the steak in egg wash, then seasoned flour (with a LOT of ground black pepper),
> then egg wash, and finally cornmeal. Fry it in a skillet in about an inch of
> oil until golden brown. To make it authentic, serve with biscuits and mashed
> potatoes made from unpeeled potatoes, and pour white country gravy over
> everything. I guess the only other thing you'll need is a steak knife for
> cutting the steak.
>
> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>
> "The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
> proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
> James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

More often than not, when you find the country version in a restaurant,
it is usually deep fried, not pan fried. That does make a difference,
especially related to the gravy. I always ask for clarification in a
restaurant.

I grew up with the traditional floured version, then have had the ones
done with cornmeal, done with crushed corn flakes and done with panko
bread crumbs and done with beer batter - but where the rubber meets the
road, it is the one I grew up with that I still like best.

jim

ConnieG999

Wayne Boatwright > writes:

>One of my aunts always prepared it that way...fried first (the way I like
>it), then put on a deep platter and the milk gravy poured over.

Yeah, but that's not what Jill said. She said to put the battered steaks in the
pan and pour gravy over, then heat it. Unless I misunderstood - because she
never mentioned frying them first.
The gravy can be poured over or on the side...but if you cook the steaks in the
gravy, they're not going to have that crispy crunchy crust.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

jmcquown

ConnieG999 wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright > writes:
>
>> One of my aunts always prepared it that way...fried first (the way I
>> like it), then put on a deep platter and the milk gravy poured over.

> Yeah, but that's not what Jill said. She said to put the battered
> steaks in the pan and pour gravy over, then heat it. Unless I
> misunderstood - because she never mentioned frying them first.
> The gravy can be poured over or on the side...but if you cook the
> steaks in the gravy, they're not going to have that crispy crunchy
> crust.
>
> Connie
> ************************************************** ***
> My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

I misstated... you pan fry the steaks first, then pour the gravy in and heat
through. It *is* like smothered steak, except the smothered steak I'm used
to uses a brown gravy. But make no mistake (or mis-steak!), what I meant
was browned and crispy first.

Jill

Mpoconnor7

>More often than not, when you find the country version in a restaurant,
>it is usually deep fried, not pan fried. That does make a difference,
>especially related to the gravy. I always ask for clarification in a
>restaurant.

This is because in many restaurants they do not make their CFS from scratch; it
usually comes premade and frozen and in that case they are deep fried. If
they're made from scratch, they're probably pan fried south of the mason dixon
line and deep fried in the north.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Bubbablue

"LET" > wrote in message >...
> It's a bit of "southern heaven" on a plate. . . Tenderized beef steak
> dredged in seasoned flour and then pan-fried. Serve with a milk-based gravy
> that has lots of pepper in it. Another, more accurate name for it is "heart
> attack waiting to happen" but it's worth it.

Another question from another Canadian: what is milk-based gravy and
how do you make it? Is it anything like white sauce?

wd39
Mpoconnor7

>Another question from another Canadian: what is milk-based gravy and
>how do you make it? Is it anything like white sauce?

It is a milk based gravy made with pork sausage drippings and flour and a lot
of fresh ground black pepper and is generally known as Country Gravy. When I
make Country Gravy I will crumble up cooked pork sausage in it.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

JimLane

Mpoconnor7 wrote:
>>Another question from another Canadian: what is milk-based gravy and
>>how do you make it? Is it anything like white sauce?

> It is a milk based gravy made with pork sausage drippings and flour and a lot
> of fresh ground black pepper and is generally known as Country Gravy. When I
> make Country Gravy I will crumble up cooked pork sausage in it.
>
> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>
> "The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
> proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
> James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

OR, in the case of CFS, the subject, it can be beef-based. All you do is
add milk instead of water.

jim
ConnieG999

"jmcquown" > writes:

> misstated... you pan fry the steaks first, then pour the gravy in and heat
>through. It *is* like smothered steak, except the smothered steak I'm used
>to uses a brown gravy.

Okay, now I gotcha.
If you're not cooking the breaded steak in the gravy, but simply heating the
crunchy steak in the gravy, then that isn't really "smothered". Just another
way of *serving* the chicken fried steak.
Sorry I misunderstood. We're both eating the same thing. (G)

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

Wayne Boatwright

JimLane > wrote in
:

> Mpoconnor7 wrote:
>>>Another question from another Canadian: what is milk-based gravy and
>>>how do you make it? Is it anything like white sauce?

>> It is a milk based gravy made with pork sausage drippings and flour
>> and a lot of fresh ground black pepper and is generally known as
>> Country Gravy. When I make Country Gravy I will crumble up cooked
>> pork sausage in it.
>>
>> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>>
>> "The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
>> proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
>> James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

> OR, in the case of CFS, the subject, it can be beef-based. All you do
> is add milk instead of water.

Implied, I think, but not said...the drippings from frying the steak are
used as the fat component in gravy for chicken fried steak.

Wayne

Mpoconnor7

>Implied, I think, but not said...the drippings from frying the steak are
>used as the fat component in gravy for chicken fried steak.

I take the steak drippings and cook some pork sausage in it and add all the
drippings to the gravy, along with the crumbled sausage.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
PENMART01

>(Dan Abel) writes:
>
>>(PENMART01) wrote:

>> >To bread it, take a tenderizing hammer (big spikes) and pound as much
>> >flour into the meat as possible--till it's saturated. Spice the flour
>> >first, if you like. Takes a bit of elbow grease

>> No elbow grease a-tall, not iffn ya got a 4,500 pound tractor sportin' Ag
>> tires.

>That's not the rfc way. It takes a Volvo, specifically one owned by a
>certain rfc person that hasn't been around for awhile. :-)

Elbonian Volvos are exceedingly rare.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Bogey0

Now this is what I remember what Chicken Fried steak is.

Chuck R
Not my recipe

Kathy Pitt s Chicken Fried Steak

Begin with a good-sized hunk of round steak, the steak should be at
least 1/2 inch thick. Cut the steak into serving-sized pieces. Now
the fun begins. I use a method of tenderizing the meat passed on to
me by my father, who made great CFS -- first, score the exterior of
the meat with tiny, diamond-shaped patterns (like you'd use to score
the fat on a ham, but make the diamonds only about 1/4 inch long.) Do
this to both sides of the meat. Then pound the heck out of the meat
using the heaviest implement you can find (a heavy saucer, the handle
of a BIG knife or -- my personal favorite -- a clean claw hammer).
The meat should be pounded until it almost, but not quite, gives up
and falls to pieces. Now mix up a quantity of seasoned flour (salt,
pepper, maybe some paprika and garlic powder). Also beat a couple of
whole eggs with a couple of tablespoons of water. Dip the pounded
meat first in the flour, then in the egg, then back in the flour. For
a really crisp crust, dip again in the egg, and back in the flour
(this is optional, but I almost always do it, to me, the crust is the
best part of the dish). Allow the breaded meat to sit for a few
minutes to set up the breading. Melt some oil, bacon grease or lard
in a heavy frying pan. Use enough to cover the pan to the depth of 1/4
inch. When the fat is hot, but not smoking, place some of the meat in
the pan. Do not overcrowd, and do not allow the individual pieces of
steak to touch. Cook on one side until nicely browned, turn and cook
the second side. Remove the cooked steak to a warm place, and continue
cooking the remainder until all is done. Add more fat to the pan as
needed. Add 2 Tbsp. of flour to every 2 Tbsp. of fat left in the pan
(stir to scrape up the little browned, crispy bits that are sticking
to the pan, too). Cook this mixture briefly to get rid of the raw
flour taste, but do not allow it to brown. Stir in milk (about 1 cup
to each 2 Tbsp. of flour) to make a gravy. Season to taste with salt,
black pepper (lots of black pepper), and serve gravy of the meat and
the mashed potatoes you're going to serve on the side.

Kathy in Bryan, TX ... Never order chicken-fried steak in a place
that doesn't have a jukebox
notbob

On 2004-11-27, Bogey0 > wrote:

> Now this is what I remember what Chicken Fried steak is.
>
> Chuck R

Amen!

The only thing I'd add is, if you don't have a good wire whisk when making
the gravy, use room temp or even warmed milk. Less chance of lumps in the
gravy. Otherwise, a perfect recipe for CFS. Thanks to Chuck, Kathy, Bogey0
....whomever...

nb
notbob

On 2004-11-27, Bogey0 > wrote:

> Now this is what I remember what Chicken Fried steak is.
>
> Chuck R

Amen!

The only thing I'd add is, if you don't have a good wire whisk when making
the gravy, use room temp or even warmed milk. Less chance of lumps in the
gravy. Otherwise, a perfect recipe for CFS. Thanks to Chuck, Kathy, Bogey0
....whomever...

nb
Wayne Boatwright

Bogey0 > wrote in newslihq054jqd7rh8bevtfk5fd0h6bk451vu@
4ax.com:

> Now this is what I remember what Chicken Fried steak is.
>
> Chuck R
> Not my recipe
>
> Kathy Pitt s Chicken Fried Steak
>

> Begin with a good-sized hunk of round steak, the steak should be at
> least 1/2 inch thick. Cut the steak into serving-sized pieces. Now
> the fun begins. I use a method of tenderizing the meat passed on to
> me by my father, who made great CFS -- first, score the exterior of
> the meat with tiny, diamond-shaped patterns (like you'd use to score
> the fat on a ham, but make the diamonds only about 1/4 inch long.) Do
> this to both sides of the meat. Then pound the heck out of the meat
> using the heaviest implement you can find (a heavy saucer, the handle
> of a BIG knife or -- my personal favorite -- a clean claw hammer).
> The meat should be pounded until it almost, but not quite, gives up
> and falls to pieces. Now mix up a quantity of seasoned flour (salt,
> pepper, maybe some paprika and garlic powder). Also beat a couple of
> whole eggs with a couple of tablespoons of water. Dip the pounded
> meat first in the flour, then in the egg, then back in the flour. For
> a really crisp crust, dip again in the egg, and back in the flour
> (this is optional, but I almost always do it, to me, the crust is the
> best part of the dish). Allow the breaded meat to sit for a few
> minutes to set up the breading. Melt some oil, bacon grease or lard
> in a heavy frying pan. Use enough to cover the pan to the depth of 1/4
> inch. When the fat is hot, but not smoking, place some of the meat in
> the pan. Do not overcrowd, and do not allow the individual pieces of
> steak to touch. Cook on one side until nicely browned, turn and cook
> the second side. Remove the cooked steak to a warm place, and continue
> cooking the remainder until all is done. Add more fat to the pan as
> needed. Add 2 Tbsp. of flour to every 2 Tbsp. of fat left in the pan
> (stir to scrape up the little browned, crispy bits that are sticking
> to the pan, too). Cook this mixture briefly to get rid of the raw
> flour taste, but do not allow it to brown. Stir in milk (about 1 cup
> to each 2 Tbsp. of flour) to make a gravy. Season to taste with salt,
> black pepper (lots of black pepper), and serve gravy of the meat and
> the mashed potatoes you're going to serve on the side.
>
> Kathy in Bryan, TX ... Never order chicken-fried steak in a place
> that doesn't have a jukebox

That should read, "Never order chicken-fried steak anywhere." <g> It's
only truly good if made at home.

BTW, except for the egg, your recipe/method is almost the same as mine.
Good stuff!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Mpoconnor7

>The only thing I'd add is, if you don't have a good wire whisk when making
>the gravy, use room temp or even warmed milk. Less chance of lumps in the
>gravy. Otherwise, a perfect recipe for CFS. Thanks to Chuck, Kathy, Bogey0
>...whomever...

It sounds a lot like my recipe. You can also use Cube steak for making CFS. I
will also brown and crumble up some good pork sausage, and save the drippings
to add to the other drippings for making gravy, and adding the cooked crumbled
sausage to the gravy once its thickened.

The side dishes for this would be homemade biscuits (of course), and mashed
potatoes with the skins still on the potatoes. I cut the biscuits in half
lengthwise, put the inner halves of the biscuits up on the plate, and pour
gravy over the CFS, biscuits and potatoes.

Here is the simplest biscuit recipe I've ever seen; I adapted it from the
Hardee's biscuit recipe:

2 cups self rising flour
1 cup milk
1/3 cup mayonaisse (NOT miracle whip)

What I like about it is that the recipe has three ingredients which anybody
would generally have in their kitchen.

Beat the three ingredients into a dough. You can either spoon it out onto the
greased baking pan, but I prefer to get my hands wet and roll it between my
hands into biscuits. You can brush a little melted butter on top before and/or
after cooking, if you wish. Cook at 450 for 14-17 minutes until golden brown.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelyhood of one individual being right increases in a direct proportion
to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong."
Michael Odom

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:10:14 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

>> Kathy in Bryan, TX ... Never order chicken-fried steak in a place
>> that doesn't have a jukebox

>That should read, "Never order chicken-fried steak anywhere." <g> It's
>only truly good if made at home.
>
>BTW, except for the egg, your recipe/method is almost the same as mine.
>Good stuff!

Does sound good. I had chicken fried steak last night at Ranch
Martinez in Dallas. Instead of gravy, it came with chili and chopped
onions. It was wonderful.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Michael Odom

wrote:

>> Kathy in Bryan, TX ... Never order chicken-fried steak in a place
>> that doesn't have a jukebox

>That should read, "Never order chicken-fried steak anywhere." <g> It's
>only truly good if made at home.
>
>BTW, except for the egg, your recipe/method is almost the same as mine.
>Good stuff!

Does sound good. I had chicken fried steak last night at Ranch
Martinez in Dallas. Instead of gravy, it came with chili and chopped
onions. It was wonderful.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Wayne Boatwright

Michael Odom > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:10:14 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>
>>> Kathy in Bryan, TX ... Never order chicken-fried steak in a place that
>>> doesn't have a jukebox

>>That should read, "Never order chicken-fried steak anywhere." <g> It's
>>only truly good if made at home.
>>
>>BTW, except for the egg, your recipe/method is almost the same as mine.
>>Good stuff!

> Does sound good. I had chicken fried steak last night at Ranch
> Martinez in Dallas. Instead of gravy, it came with chili and chopped
> onions. It was wonderful.
>

> modom

That sounds like a good option. I rarely eat gravy on mine anyway, just on
the potatoes.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Barbtail

>self rising flour
This isn't very common in my neck of the woods. It is available, but it's sort
of unusual in west-coast kitchens.

I love the simplicity of your 3 ingredient recipe, Michael.

Anyone know how much leavening they add to it and what kind(s)?

*curious is California*

Barb Anne