Sheryl Rosen

Default Pea Soup Recipe

For some reason, I decided to make pea soup today.

I remember as a teenager deciding that I didn't like pea soup.
Haven't had it since and never really missed it. But I was in the grocery
store today and I saw a bag of split peas, and it was snowing out...and
something made me think: "Today would be a good day to make pea soup".

So I came home and made the following:

Pea Soup

1 large onion, diced small
2 medium sized carrots, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced

3/4 lb smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick.

1 tablespoon corn oil

1 lb split green peas, sorted, rinsed and drained

10 cups chicken stock (I used canned, thinned with some water)
2 bay leaves (thanks, Boron/Gloria!)
pinch of thyme
2 pinches of parsley
pepper to taste

In my 8 quart dutch oven, I sauteed the sliced sausages until some fat was
rendered out of them and they started to brown. I added in the veggies and
sauteed them until they were nice and tender, but not brown, about 15
minutes. At one point, I needed a bit more fat, so I added in the oil.
When the veggies were soft and the meat brown, I added in the peas, stock
and herbs. It's simmering now.

When the peas are tender, I'll adjust the salt and pepper, maybe add a
splash of vinegar for brightness (I saw them do this on America's Test
Kitchens with pea soup) and pack it up in serving size portions for lunches
at work this week.

I didn't have a ham bone, that's why I used the smoked sausage, it's what I
had. I think it will be fine. I didn't add any salt b/c the sausage and the
canned broth are salted enough. but will taste it and add it if needed. I
doubt it will though.

I won't puree it b/c I think that has always been my objection to pea
soup....the texture. I prefer my soups chunky. The chunks of veggies from
the mirepoix I started with will help my texture objection, too. Most I
will do is maybe puree a cup or two of veggies and mix that back in. So it
will have some body but it won't be entirely smooth. Ick.

Sheryl Rosen

in article , Sheryl Rosen at
wrote on 12/26/04 6:37 PM:

> For some reason, I decided to make pea soup today.
>
> I remember as a teenager deciding that I didn't like pea soup.
> Haven't had it since and never really missed it. But I was in the grocery
> store today and I saw a bag of split peas, and it was snowing out...and
> something made me think: "Today would be a good day to make pea soup".
>
> So I came home and made the following:
>
> Pea Soup
>
> 1 large onion, diced small
> 2 medium sized carrots, diced
> 2 ribs of celery, diced
>
> 3/4 lb smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick.
>
> 1 tablespoon corn oil
>
> 1 lb split green peas, sorted, rinsed and drained
>
> 10 cups chicken stock (I used canned, thinned with some water)
> 2 bay leaves (thanks, Boron/Gloria!)
> pinch of thyme
> 2 pinches of parsley
> pepper to taste
>
> In my 8 quart dutch oven, I sauteed the sliced sausages until some fat was
> rendered out of them and they started to brown. I added in the veggies and
> sauteed them until they were nice and tender, but not brown, about 15
> minutes. At one point, I needed a bit more fat, so I added in the oil.
> When the veggies were soft and the meat brown, I added in the peas, stock
> and herbs. It's simmering now.
>
> When the peas are tender, I'll adjust the salt and pepper, maybe add a
> splash of vinegar for brightness (I saw them do this on America's Test
> Kitchens with pea soup) and pack it up in serving size portions for lunches
> at work this week.
>
> I didn't have a ham bone, that's why I used the smoked sausage, it's what I
> had. I think it will be fine. I didn't add any salt b/c the sausage and the
> canned broth are salted enough. but will taste it and add it if needed. I
> doubt it will though.
>
> I won't puree it b/c I think that has always been my objection to pea
> soup....the texture. I prefer my soups chunky. The chunks of veggies from
> the mirepoix I started with will help my texture objection, too. Most I
> will do is maybe puree a cup or two of veggies and mix that back in. So it
> will have some body but it won't be entirely smooth. Ick.

Just tasted it.....
Yum!

I think if I add the vinegar, it will be as I serve it.

It doesn't need pureeing at all. It's perfect as is. After about an hour
simmering, it's not terribly thick, the peas have turned mushy and some have
disintegrated, but most are still visible. For variety, I tossed in a
handful of frozen peas (maybe a quarter cupful...whatever was left in a bag
of frozen).

I tasted it and it's delicious! Good eatin' for lunch this week!!!!

PENMART01

>Sheryl Rosen writes:
>
>For some reason, I decided to make pea soup today.
>
>I remember as a teenager deciding that I didn't like pea soup.
>Haven't had it since and never really missed it. But I was in the grocery
>store today and I saw a bag of split peas, and it was snowing out...and
>something made me think: "Today would be a good day to make pea soup".
>
>So I came home and made the following:
>
>Pea Soup
>
>1 large onion, diced small
>2 medium sized carrots, diced
>2 ribs of celery, diced
>
>3/4 lb smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick.
>
>1 tablespoon corn oil
>
>1 lb split green peas, sorted, rinsed and drained
>
>10 cups chicken stock (I used canned, thinned with some water)
>2 bay leaves (thanks, Boron/Gloria!)
>pinch of thyme
>2 pinches of parsley
>pepper to taste
>
>In my 8 quart dutch oven, I sauteed the sliced sausages until some fat was
>rendered out of them and they started to brown. I added in the veggies and
>sauteed them until they were nice and tender, but not brown, about 15
>minutes. At one point, I needed a bit more fat, so I added in the oil.
>When the veggies were soft and the meat brown, I added in the peas, stock
>and herbs. It's simmering now.
>
>When the peas are tender, I'll adjust the salt and pepper, maybe add a
>splash of vinegar for brightness (I saw them do this on America's Test
>Kitchens with pea soup) and pack it up in serving size portions for lunches
>at work this week.
>
>I didn't have a ham bone, that's why I used the smoked sausage, it's what I
>had. I think it will be fine. I didn't add any salt b/c the sausage and the
>canned broth are salted enough. but will taste it and add it if needed. I
>doubt it will though.
>
>I won't puree it b/c I think that has always been my objection to pea
>soup....the texture. I prefer my soups chunky. The chunks of veggies from
>the mirepoix I started with will help my texture objection, too. Most I
>will do is maybe puree a cup or two of veggies and mix that back in. So it
>will have some body but it won't be entirely smooth. Ick.

That's pretty much the recipe I use but part way through I also add a couple
diced potatoes... makes it more chunky. I also add a couple bay leaves and a
big pinch of marjoram... and I prefer the flavor of white pepper in pea soup...
I also like to occasionally make yellow split pea soup (assuming you used
green). And I often use those packets of dry soup mix by Goodman's and
Striet's, as a base, then dress them up with whatever... instead of pork
sausage/ham bone I think slicing in a few kosher hot dogs is much better...
tastes better, even even looks nicer.

Pea Soup Kitsch: http://www.peasoupandersens.net/

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

What could it be, the pea soup fairy? Me too. Pea soup.

Well in one soup kettle. The other has turkey soup simmering. The pea
soup has no meat; potato, carrot, celery, onion. Fennel and cumin seed,
done to paste in the mortar and pestle with the garlic and salt. Cider
vinegar. Yum. Zee

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> [...]

Most I
> > will do is maybe puree a cup or two of veggies and mix that back

in. So it
> > will have some body but it won't be entirely smooth. Ick.
> >

> Just tasted it.....
> Yum!
>
> I think if I add the vinegar, it will be as I serve it.
>
> It doesn't need pureeing at all. It's perfect as is. After about an

hour
> simmering, it's not terribly thick, the peas have turned mushy and

some have
> disintegrated, but most are still visible. For variety, I tossed in a
> handful of frozen peas (maybe a quarter cupful...whatever was left in

a bag
> of frozen).
>
> I tasted it and it's delicious! Good eatin' for lunch this week!!!!

Sheryl Rosen

in article , PENMART01 at
wrote on 12/26/04 8:19 PM:

>> Sheryl Rosen writes:
>>
>> For some reason, I decided to make pea soup today.
>>
>> I remember as a teenager deciding that I didn't like pea soup.
>> Haven't had it since and never really missed it. But I was in the grocery
>> store today and I saw a bag of split peas, and it was snowing out...and
>> something made me think: "Today would be a good day to make pea soup".
>>
>> So I came home and made the following:
>>
>> Pea Soup
>>
>> 1 large onion, diced small
>> 2 medium sized carrots, diced
>> 2 ribs of celery, diced
>>
>> 3/4 lb smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick.
>>
>> 1 tablespoon corn oil
>>
>> 1 lb split green peas, sorted, rinsed and drained
>>
>> 10 cups chicken stock (I used canned, thinned with some water)
>> 2 bay leaves (thanks, Boron/Gloria!)
>> pinch of thyme
>> 2 pinches of parsley
>> pepper to taste
>>
>> In my 8 quart dutch oven, I sauteed the sliced sausages until some fat was
>> rendered out of them and they started to brown. I added in the veggies and
>> sauteed them until they were nice and tender, but not brown, about 15
>> minutes. At one point, I needed a bit more fat, so I added in the oil.
>> When the veggies were soft and the meat brown, I added in the peas, stock
>> and herbs. It's simmering now.
>>
>> When the peas are tender, I'll adjust the salt and pepper, maybe add a
>> splash of vinegar for brightness (I saw them do this on America's Test
>> Kitchens with pea soup) and pack it up in serving size portions for lunches
>> at work this week.
>>
>> I didn't have a ham bone, that's why I used the smoked sausage, it's what I
>> had. I think it will be fine. I didn't add any salt b/c the sausage and the
>> canned broth are salted enough. but will taste it and add it if needed. I
>> doubt it will though.
>>
>> I won't puree it b/c I think that has always been my objection to pea
>> soup....the texture. I prefer my soups chunky. The chunks of veggies from
>> the mirepoix I started with will help my texture objection, too. Most I
>> will do is maybe puree a cup or two of veggies and mix that back in. So it
>> will have some body but it won't be entirely smooth. Ick.

> That's pretty much the recipe I use but part way through I also add a couple
> diced potatoes... makes it more chunky. I also add a couple bay leaves and a
> big pinch of marjoram... and I prefer the flavor of white pepper in pea
> soup...
> I also like to occasionally make yellow split pea soup (assuming you used
> green). And I often use those packets of dry soup mix by Goodman's and
> Striet's, as a base, then dress them up with whatever... instead of pork
> sausage/ham bone I think slicing in a few kosher hot dogs is much better...
> tastes better, even even looks nicer.
>
> Pea Soup Kitsch:
http://www.peasoupandersens.net/

I considered adding potato, but wasn't sure it went with it. I might next
time. I did use bay leaves, but thyme rather than marjoram.

Yes, I used green split peas.

It tastes fairly reminiscent of the tubes of soup mix you spoke about. Those
were a mainstay in my mom's kitchen! I'll have to try that again. If I
recall, it makes a small pot full, which for a single person household, is
my preference.

I found a recipe for yellow split pea soup with canadian bacon in a
slow-cooker recipe booklet put out by Betty Crocker. It's several years old,
(the booklet) but the soup recipes looked good. Now that I discovered I can
use the crockpot on a light timer, and it doesn't have to cook for 10-11
hours, I'll use it more this winter.

Damsel in dis Dress

On 26 Dec 2004 17:36:31 -0800, wrote:

>What could it be, the pea soup fairy? Me too. Pea soup.

*grin* I've been wanting to make some, myself.

Mom used to make it a lot, and I never could stand it. My ex, though,
loved it. But he was unable to look at it. He'd get a bowl, go into the
living room with the TV on, turn off all the lights, and eat it in the
dark. <G>

I've got a completely different take on pea soup than most, I think. I
like the peas intact, and chunks of carrots. And it's spicy (I don't
remember who to thank for the basic spice mix). Crash added the pepperoni,
and it really makes the soup. Here's the recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Spicy Split Pea Soup

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : legumes soups/chowders

1/4 pound bacon
1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
1 medium onion -- chopped fine
1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
16 ounces split peas
5 cups water
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf

In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and set
aside. Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove to
large saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until
onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.

Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add carrots,
then stir in the herbs and spices.

Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45 minutes, or
until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if necessary. Remove
bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 301 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (22% calories from fat);
19g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 12mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit;
1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Damsel in dis Dress

On 26 Dec 2004 17:36:31 -0800, wrote:

>What could it be, the pea soup fairy? Me too. Pea soup.

*grin* I've been wanting to make some, myself.

Mom used to make it a lot, and I never could stand it. My ex, though,
loved it. But he was unable to look at it. He'd get a bowl, go into the
living room with the TV on, turn off all the lights, and eat it in the
dark. <G>

I've got a completely different take on pea soup than most, I think. I
like the peas intact, and chunks of carrots. And it's spicy (I don't
remember who to thank for the basic spice mix). Crash added the pepperoni,
and it really makes the soup. Here's the recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Spicy Split Pea Soup

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : legumes soups/chowders

1/4 pound bacon
1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
1 medium onion -- chopped fine
1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
16 ounces split peas
5 cups water
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf

In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and set
aside. Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove to
large saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until
onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.

Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add carrots,
then stir in the herbs and spices.

Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45 minutes, or
until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if necessary. Remove
bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 301 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (22% calories from fat);
19g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 12mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit;
1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

PENMART01

>Sheryl Rosen writes:
>
>It tastes fairly reminiscent of the tubes of soup mix you spoke about. Those
>were a mainstay in my mom's kitchen! I'll have to try that again. If I
>recall, it makes a small pot full, which for a single person household, is
>my preference.

I keep a supply of those dry soup tube packets on hand all year but make sure
to have lots for winter, I especially like the vegetable barley w/'shrooms.
They are a lot more costly now ('bout $1.39) than they were when I grew up
watching my mother use them (10¢ - 3/25¢), and her mother... we never had
Lipton's or Campbell's... my mother (and grandmother) said those were dreck,
and so it was. One packet doesn't make a huge quantity but it makes more than
sufficient for a few good sized bowls full. But as I mentioned, I almost
always (actually *always*) doctor it and so end up with 2-3-4 times more... a
packet of vegetable barley w'shrooms in with a pot roast yields the roast plus
about 6 quarts soup (thick).

>I found a recipe for yellow split pea soup with canadian bacon in a
>slow-cooker recipe booklet put out by Betty Crocker. It's several years old,
>(the booklet) but the soup recipes looked good. Now that I discovered I can
>use the crockpot on a light timer, and it doesn't have to cook for 10-11
>hours, I'll use it more this winter.

I don't own a slow cooker... I'm sure they're fine... but they don't work for
me. I'm a taster and adder... I don't mind fussing with my cooking, actually
for me unless I fuss with a pot continously all day it ain't really cooking. I
don't look for short cuts, in fact I tend to find ways that make the cooking
experience last longer. I made meat loaf for dinner tonight... took about six
hours... first I grind the meat...

I keep a full compliment of soup staples, from all kinds of dried beans to
every shape of small pasta imaginable.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Ummmhmmm. I have a similar recipe, old yellowed newspaper clipping.
Sausage instead of bacon, crushed yellow mustard seed along with the
cloves and the rest; and a bottle of beer. Quite good really, but I
seldom have the beer and find I always have the vegetarian version.

Now I have to strain the turkey broth. I put unpeeled whole onions in
this time. The skins make it such a nice colour. Zee

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 26 Dec 2004 17:36:31 -0800, wrote:
>
> >What could it be, the pea soup fairy? Me too. Pea soup.

> *grin* I've been wanting to make some, myself.
>
> Mom used to make it a lot, and I never could stand it. My ex,

though,
> loved it. But he was unable to look at it. He'd get a bowl, go into

the
> living room with the TV on, turn off all the lights, and eat it in

the
> dark. <G>
>
> I've got a completely different take on pea soup than most, I think.

> like the peas intact, and chunks of carrots. And it's spicy (I don't
> remember who to thank for the basic spice mix). Crash added the

pepperoni,
> and it really makes the soup. Here's the recipe:
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Damsel's Spicy Split Pea Soup
>
> Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : legumes soups/chowders

> 1/4 pound bacon
> 1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
> 5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
> 1 medium onion -- chopped fine
> 1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
> 16 ounces split peas
> 5 cups water
> 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
> 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
> 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
> 1 bay leaf
>
> In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan,

and set
> aside. Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove

> large saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until
> onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.
>
> Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add

carrots,
> then stir in the herbs and spices.
>
> Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45

minutes, or
> until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if necessary.

Remove
> bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- -

> Per serving: 301 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (22% calories from

fat);
> 19g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 12mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0

Fruit;
> 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
>
> --
> "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
> 'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
> Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote

me."

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 26 Dec 2004 17:36:31 -0800, wrote:
>
> >What could it be, the pea soup fairy? Me too. Pea soup.

> *grin* I've been wanting to make some, myself.
>
> Mom used to make it a lot, and I never could stand it. My ex,

though,
> loved it. But he was unable to look at it. He'd get a bowl, go into

the
> living room with the TV on, turn off all the lights, and eat it in

the
> dark. <G>
>
> I've got a completely different take on pea soup than most, I think.

> like the peas intact, and chunks of carrots. And it's spicy (I don't
> remember who to thank for the basic spice mix). Crash added the

pepperoni,
> and it really makes the soup. Here's the recipe:
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Damsel's Spicy Split Pea Soup
>
> Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : legumes soups/chowders

> 1/4 pound bacon
> 1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
> 5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
> 1 medium onion -- chopped fine
> 1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
> 16 ounces split peas
> 5 cups water
> 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
> 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
> 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
> 1 bay leaf
>
> In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan,

and set
> aside. Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove

> large saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until
> onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.
>
> Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add

carrots,
> then stir in the herbs and spices.
>
> Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45

minutes, or
> until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if necessary.

Remove
> bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- -

> Per serving: 301 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (22% calories from

fat);
> 19g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 12mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0

Fruit;
> 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
>
> --
> "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
> 'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
> Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote

me."

> *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

Richard Periut

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> PENMART01 at wrote on 12/26/04 9:27 PM:
>

>>>I found a recipe for yellow split pea soup with canadian bacon in a
>>>slow-cooker recipe booklet put out by Betty Crocker. It's several years old,
>>>(the booklet) but the soup recipes looked good. Now that I discovered I can
>>>use the crockpot on a light timer, and it doesn't have to cook for 10-11
>>>hours, I'll use it more this winter.

>>I don't own a slow cooker... I'm sure they're fine... but they don't work for
>>me. I'm a taster and adder... I don't mind fussing with my cooking, actually
>>for me unless I fuss with a pot continously all day it ain't really cooking.

> I am also a taster and adder. But I don't always have the time during the
> week to cook like that, because I work an hour away from home...I'm gone for
> 10-11 hours at a time, and after a long day...sometimes I just want supper,
> but I don't feel like cooking, dirtying pots and pans that I have to clean
> up, waiting for dinner to be ready, etc. So I need shortcuts. Some people
> rely on "tv dinner" frozen meals for times when they just want to eat, but
> don't have time or energy to actually cook. That's not my style. I either
> cook a lot on the weekends for the entire week, or put my own good
> ingredients in my crock pot so dinner is ready when I get home.
>
> Yeah., it's a shortcut, but it's still "cooking".
> I know people who live on frozen dinners and "meals in a box". That's not
> cooking.

Sounds good.

I shall include this recipe in the grand repertoire of internet recipes
which I punch holes and insert in binders.

It's a project that one day I can make into a book, or just simply hand
it down to my daughters who will have tons of recipes to sift trough.

Your names shall be remembered.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Nancy Young

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I'll get Crash's opinion on this. Thanks for sharing it. I didn't respond
> to your cranberry sauce post simply because I don't like maple with things
> except waffles, pancakes, and french toast. It's one of those personal
> taste things. I'll bet it's good to maple lovers.

Funny, I'm the same way, give me waffles and you won't believe how
much maple syrup I can go through. Just do *not* put it in my
savory food. I can't stand maple candy, either.

nancy
Nancy Young

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I'll get Crash's opinion on this. Thanks for sharing it. I didn't respond
> to your cranberry sauce post simply because I don't like maple with things
> except waffles, pancakes, and french toast. It's one of those personal
> taste things. I'll bet it's good to maple lovers.

Funny, I'm the same way, give me waffles and you won't believe how
much maple syrup I can go through. Just do *not* put it in my
savory food. I can't stand maple candy, either.

nancy

Damsel and Nancy

Even when it is *real* maple syrup? I find the ersatz very cloying. But
real is divine, subtle and really quite undetectable as maple. I made
the sauce quite tart, with less maple syrup and sugar together than
half normal, and made sure the berries stayed whole. It gelled quite
nicely over night. What is left..... heheh!

Zee

Nancy Young wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> > I'll get Crash's opinion on this. Thanks for sharing it. I didn't

respond
> > to your cranberry sauce post simply because I don't like maple with

things
> > except waffles, pancakes, and french toast. It's one of those

personal
> > taste things. I'll bet it's good to maple lovers.

> Funny, I'm the same way, give me waffles and you won't believe how
> much maple syrup I can go through. Just do *not* put it in my
> savory food. I can't stand maple candy, either.
>
> nancy

PENMART01

>Sheryl Rosen writes:
>
>>penmart01 wrote:
>>
>> I don't own a slow cooker... I'm sure they're fine... but they don't work

for
>>me. I'm a taster and adder... I don't mind fussing with my cooking, actually
>>for me unless I fuss with a pot continously all day it ain't really cooking.

>I am also a taster and adder. But I don't always have the time during the
>week to cook like that, because I work an hour away from home...I'm gone for
>10-11 hours at a time, and after a long day...sometimes I just want supper,
>but I don't feel like cooking, dirtying pots and pans that I have to clean
>up, waiting for dinner to be ready, etc. So I need shortcuts. Some people
>rely on "tv dinner" frozen meals for times when they just want to eat, but
>don't have time or energy to actually cook. That's not my style. I either
>cook a lot on the weekends for the entire week, or put my own good
>ingredients in my crock pot so dinner is ready when I get home.

Being retired I have no more discretionary time so I still cook the same as I
did when working. There are still plenty of days when I'm outside doing chores
or away all day and don't much feel like cooking when arriving home nor is
there enough time to do justice to a cooked meal that really needs hours to
prepare ingredients and cook. I still much prefer to subsist on left overs
from the days I do spend time cooking or I simply prepare something that takes
little time and effort... I'd much prefer a tuna salad sandwich, a cheese and
potato omelet, even boil up pasta and toss with butter n' frozen veggies and a
sprinkling of cheeze. I don't mind spending a half hour preparing a quick meal
but for any "long n' slow" cooked dish I'd rather the real deal cooked to
perfection than a "hope for the best" slow cooker suprise. I'm not knocking
your style, just saying it doesn't work for me. And I did once own a slow
cooker, many years ago, and try though I might it didn't get used too often
before ending up in the trash... same occured with a pressure cooker, and other
such devices as well... a $300 food processer ended up in the trash too... no
more practical than an electric knife. I guess I'm really not into kitchen
gadgets. Yesterday I prepared a meat loaf for dinner, took most of the day,
but it's a huge thing, contains five pounds of top round... have enough for
tonight and a few more healthy meals, sliced meat loaf freezes well.... and
the frozen LOs can even easily become baked hash, sloppy joes, or meat sauce on
pasta. Personally (that's me) I think a slow cooker and many other so-called
time-saver gadgets make more work. Of course the best time/work saver of all
is having an outdoor gas grill.... even in the dead of winter I'll do a grilled
dinner at least twice a week.

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I've got a completely different take on pea soup than most, I think.

> like the peas intact, and chunks of carrots. And it's spicy (I don't
> remember who to thank for the basic spice mix). Crash added the

pepperoni,
> and it really makes the soup. Here's the recipe:
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Damsel's Spicy Split Pea Soup
>
> Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : legumes soups/chowders

> 1/4 pound bacon
> 1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
> 5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
> 1 medium onion -- chopped fine
> 1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
> 16 ounces split peas
> 5 cups water
> 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
> 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
> 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
> 1 bay leaf
>
> In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan,

and set
> aside. Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove

> large saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until
> onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.
>
> Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add

carrots,
> then stir in the herbs and spices.
>
> Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45

minutes, or
> until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if necessary.

Remove
> bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon.

I like the idea of pepperoni in it.
Am not a big fan of allspice and cloves, (in fact, I HATE cloves) but I
would definitely use pepperoni in my recipe instead of the smoked
polish sausage, once, anyway, just to try it. Maybe boost it with some
California hot pepper flakes. Just a few.

I just had a bowl for lunch. Yum.
It's hard to look at but delicious to eat. :-)

Another thought: Mexican chorizo, with a dried chipotle added to the
stock for good measure! (Instead of the smoked Polish sausage).

I once made a potato soup with chorizo. It was good. But it was made
the day before my Dad slipped into a coma and eventually died, and the
very thought of it reminds me of those horrible days, eating just to
keep up my strength, wondering how I would get through the rest of my
life, waiting for him to die. Awful memories. I will never make
potato-chorizo soup again, nor will I ever eat it again. Bad memories!
Funny, my nephew (late 20's) stayed with me that week of the funeral, I
gave him some while he was here....he told me he recently had some
potato soup at a Mexican restaurant, and when he tasted it, at first he
liked it, but as he ate more of it, he said it made him feel very sad,
like when his grandfather died, but he didn't know why. He just told me
about it the other day. He asked "Why do I associate grandpa dying with
potato soup?" His mother didn't know--which makes sense, she didn't
have any of the soup, she stayed elsewhere. At first I didn't know
either, then I remembered, I had made the soup the day before and we
ate it until it was gone. I hadn't thought about it, but I haven't
made it since, and that was almost 3 years ago. Purely subconscious.

jmcquown wrote:
> wrote:
> > Damsel and Nancy
> >
> > Even when it is *real* maple syrup? I find the ersatz very cloying.
> > But real is divine, subtle and really quite undetectable as maple.

> Then why bother? Maple syrup is expensive as hell and if it's

undetectable
> you may as well just add corn or cane syrup if you must add syrup.
>
> I'm with Nancy and Damsel on this; I don't want syrup in savory

foods.

> Jill
>

> > Nancy Young wrote:

didn't

It's

> >> Funny, I'm the same way, give me waffles and you won't believe how
> >> much maple syrup I can go through. Just do *not* put it in my
> >> savory food. I can't stand maple candy, either.
> >>
> >> nancy

Perhpas I should have left it at *subtle*. That is what it is. Subtle,
with a slightly different flavour top note than sugar and much less
sweet. The result, because I use less sweetener in total than the
normal preparation calls for, is a very tart, and yes still savoury
flavour.

Use maple syrup where you might use any sugar. I use maple syrup in
salad dressings, in tea, in a hot toddy, stirred into plain yogurt,
over a fruit compote, in baked beans, to make maple butter, glazing
vegetables, glazing meat, in barbecue sauce. I find it works
wonderfully but I do not use it ounce for ounce to the sugar called
for.

Nothing is written in stone in my kitchen. I might just as easily hve
made the whole orange in the Cuisinart version. We like that too.
Zee

Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:29:48 -0600, "jmcquown" >

>> Damsel and Nancy
>>
>> Even when it is *real* maple syrup? I find the ersatz very cloying.
>> But real is divine, subtle and really quite undetectable as maple.

>Then why bother? Maple syrup is expensive as hell and if it's undetectable
>you may as well just add corn or cane syrup if you must add syrup.
>
>I'm with Nancy and Damsel on this; I don't want syrup in savory foods.

What she said.

Carol

SportKite1

>From: Damsel in dis Dress

>I've only cooked Mexican chorizo once, and I can't imagine every cooking it
>again. I wound up with a gigantic pool of red grease. Major turn-off.

I'm not fond of the offal based chorizo, but Publix here, and many other places
that make their own sausage, do a great job with chorizo. Basically ground pork
seasoned with cumin, chili, oregano and other spices. Very good and not at all
greasy. We use it in scrambles, chili con carne with beans, tacos/burritoes,
etc.

Ellen

Maple is also very nice to use on the barbecue, I have been told, and
many cooks use maple planks to barbecue their salmon on. It is the
flavour, more than the sweetness there. And in fact, not to belabour
it, anywhere you use it. After all, when you use sugar, you do not
really want a sugar flavour, and many recipes call for sugar when it is
not a sweet outcome one is after. Enough.

Now if I could only get my hands on a block of maple sugar.

Unbelievable. Like fudge.

Zee
(not in the soup)

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 27 Dec 2004 11:59:03 -0800, wrote:
>
> >Perhpas I should have left it at *subtle*. That is what it is.

Subtle,
> >with a slightly different flavour top note than sugar and much less
> >sweet. The result, because I use less sweetener in total than the
> >normal preparation calls for, is a very tart, and yes still savoury
> >flavour.

> I've got a problem. My sense of taste seems to have intensified over

the
> past couple of years. I can't deal with very much salt at all, not

even in
> butter. We had a meat and cheese tray a couple months ago, and I

couldn't
> eat the turkey at all because it was honey flavored, and that just

wasn't
> right. I've eaten the same turkey in the past with no problem.
>
> I'm afraid that if I were to put maple syrup in any soup, I'd have to

throw
> it all out, because the taste wouldn't be as subtle to me as it is to

you.
> I hope that makes sense.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to try to help. I'm not rejecting your

idea,
> but my taste buds are. <sigh>
>
> Carol
> --
> "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
> 'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
> Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote

me."

> *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

jmcquown

> Maple is also very nice to use on the barbecue, I have been told, and
> many cooks use maple planks to barbecue their salmon on.

Cedar planks have been my experience.

It is the
> flavour, more than the sweetness there. And in fact, not to belabour
> it, anywhere you use it. After all, when you use sugar, you do not
> really want a sugar flavour, and many recipes call for sugar when it
> is not a sweet outcome one is after. Enough.
>
> Now if I could only get my hands on a block of maple sugar.
>
> Unbelievable. Like fudge.
>
> Zee
> (not in the soup)

www.vermontcountrystore.com

Search on maple candies and have all the maple sugar candy you want

Jill

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On 27 Dec 2004 11:59:03 -0800, wrote:
>>
>>> Perhpas I should have left it at *subtle*. That is what it is.
>>> Subtle, with a slightly different flavour top note than sugar and
>>> much less sweet. The result, because I use less sweetener in total
>>> than the normal preparation calls for, is a very tart, and yes
>>> still savoury flavour.

>> I've got a problem. My sense of taste seems to have intensified
>> over the past couple of years. I can't deal with very much salt at
>> all, not even in butter. We had a meat and cheese tray a couple
>> months ago, and I couldn't eat the turkey at all because it was
>> honey flavored, and that just wasn't right. I've eaten the same
>> turkey in the past with no problem.
>>
>> I'm afraid that if I were to put maple syrup in any soup, I'd have
>> to throw it all out, because the taste wouldn't be as subtle to me
>> as it is to you. I hope that makes sense.
>>
>> Thanks for taking the time to try to help. I'm not rejecting your
>> idea, but my taste buds are. <sigh>
>>
>> Carol
>> --
>> "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
>> 'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
>> Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote
>> me."
>>
>> *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

sf

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:48:34 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> > I'll get Crash's opinion on this. Thanks for sharing it. I didn't respond
> > to your cranberry sauce post simply because I don't like maple with things
> > except waffles, pancakes, and french toast. It's one of those personal
> > taste things. I'll bet it's good to maple lovers.

> Funny, I'm the same way, give me waffles and you won't believe how
> much maple syrup I can go through. Just do *not* put it in my
> savory food. I can't stand maple candy, either.

Raising hand... Me Too!

sf
Bob

Ellen replied to Carol:

>> I've only cooked Mexican chorizo once, and I can't imagine every cooking
>> it again. I wound up with a gigantic pool of red grease. Major
>> turn-off.

> I'm not fond of the offal based chorizo, but Publix here, and many other
> places that make their own sausage, do a great job with chorizo. Basically
> ground pork seasoned with cumin, chili, oregano and other spices. Very
> good and not at all greasy. We use it in scrambles, chili con carne with
> beans, tacos/burritoes, etc.

I've got a couple recipes for chorizo; one is from _Some Like It Hotter_,
the other one is from an episode of "East Meets West." Here's the first
one:

Chorizo

3 pounds ground pork
1 cup cornmeal
3 large onions, diced
20 cloves of garlic, minced
4 small fresh hot chiles, minced
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 scant teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 scant teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed dried hot chiles
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup distilled vinegar
Salt to taste
3 yards sausage casings

Except for the casings, mix all ingredients together extremely well. Test
for seasoning by frying a small patty. Adjust the seasonings as required.
Pack into casings, tying off at 4-inch intervals, but leave each yard in a
continuous string. Hang over a wooden dowel to allow the skins to dry
thoroughly. The sausages may be stored in plastic bags in the refrigerator
for up to two weeks, or frozen indefinitely. Fry or steam to cook, but like
any sausage, prick the skins to prevent bursting. It is always more
successful to cook sausages slowly.

I *was* just going to post a recipes for chorizo, but then it occurred to me
that since the recipes from "East Meets West" aren't on the foodnetwork.com
site, I might as well post the whole menu from an episode I recorded. The
chorizo recipe is in there, along with some other great stuff:

Jerk Pork with Chorizo Fried Rice, Jicama Slaw, and Orange Syrup

NOTE: This is a 2-day process.

BRINE:
4 pork loin chops, 1 1/2 inches thick
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar
8 cups water

Place the pork in a shallow dish. In a bowl, combine salt, sugar and water
until dissolved. Pour over pork (should be submerged). Cover and store in
refrigerator overnight.

MARINADE: (everything can be roughly chopped since it's going into a food
processor)
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
1/2 bunch scallions
8 kaffir lime leaves
1/4 cup garlic cloves
1/4 cup chopped ginger
1/4 cup dried orange peel
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon five spice powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 habañero chiles
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
Juice of 2 limes
2 cups canola oil

In a food processor, puree cilantro, parsley, scallions, kaffir, garlic,
ginger and orange peel. Add a little of the oil if necessary. Add the spices
and chiles and puree. Add the hoisin and juice and while the machine is
running, add the oil in a steady stream. Check for seasoning. It will not be
very salty, since there is no added salt, but should be very fragrant with a
little kick. Take out 2 tablespoons marinade and reserve. Rinse pork off and
place in marinade overnight. On a hot grill, cook pork, criss-crossing on
both sides. Brush with the reserved 2 tablespoons of marinade during
grilling. Total cooking time will be 12 to 14 minutes.

AMY'S CHORIZO FRIED RICE:

CHORIZO:
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon ancho chile powder (another red chile would do)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 pound fatty ground pork, not the lean type
Salt and black pepper to taste

In a dry skillet on medium heat, toast all the dry spices until fragrant.
Let come to room temperature then mix with garlic and pork. Season with salt
and pepper. Make sure to mix really well. Let stand for 2 hours in the
refrigerator before using.

FRIED RICE:
1 pound chorizo, above recipe
6 cups cooked jasmine or basmati rice
3 scallions, sliced 1/8-inch, separated, save green for garnish
Canola oil to cook
Salt and black pepper to taste

[BOB'S NOTE: Plain long-grain rice works fine; in fact, it's BETTER to use
leftover rice which has been refrigerated. Basmati rice is fragile after
cooking, and fried rice using basmati often suffers because of that. Jasmine
rice's delicate fragrance seems a bit out of place in this boldly-flavored
dish, so I wouldn't use it.]

In a wok or large skillet, coat with oil and sear the chorizo over high
heat. Break up the chorizo into small pieces and cook about 5 minutes until
browned. Add the rice and scallion whites and heat through. Check for
seasoning.

JICAMA SLAW:
1 large jicama, peeled and julienned (about 2 cups)
[BOB'S NOTE: I must be getting mutant jicamas at my local Safeway. A *large*
jicama would easily yield 4 cups of julienne.]
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste

In a bowl, combine all and check for seasoning.

ORANGE SYRUP:
Juice of 4 oranges
1 slice peeled ginger
1/2 cup canola oil
Salt and black pepper to taste

In a non-reactive pan, reduce juice and ginger by 80 percent until a syrup
is achieved. Scrape into a blender and while running, drizzle in the oil.
Season and check. Store in the refrigerator.

SERVING SUGGESTION: Place a mound of fried rice in the center of a plate and
top with 1 pork chop. Top that with jicama and drizzle orange syrup on pork
and plate. Garnish with scallion greens.

Bob

notbob

On 2004-12-28, Bob > wrote:

They're all keepers. Thx.

One thing.... On the 3 T of chili powder.....

> 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
> 1 teaspoon dried oregano
> 1 scant teaspoon ground cumin
> 3 tablespoons chili powder <----------------
> 1 scant teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 1 teaspoon crushed dried hot chiles

......is that correct? As I understand it, chili powder, as opposed to chile
powder, is just powdered chiles with additional spices like cumin, oregano,
etc, mixed in. That chili powder seems redundant. Should it be powdered
chile? I mean, why go out and buy a separate ingredient (chili powder) when
you're already putting the same ingredients in? Probably fresher, too.

nb
notbob

On 2004-12-28, Bob > wrote:

They're all keepers. Thx.

One thing.... On the 3 T of chili powder.....

> 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
> 1 teaspoon dried oregano
> 1 scant teaspoon ground cumin
> 3 tablespoons chili powder <----------------
> 1 scant teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 1 teaspoon crushed dried hot chiles

......is that correct? As I understand it, chili powder, as opposed to chile
powder, is just powdered chiles with additional spices like cumin, oregano,
etc, mixed in. That chili powder seems redundant. Should it be powdered
chile? I mean, why go out and buy a separate ingredient (chili powder) when
you're already putting the same ingredients in? Probably fresher, too.

nb
Bob

notbob wrote:

> One thing.... On the 3 T of chili powder.....
>
>> 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
>> 1 teaspoon dried oregano
>> 1 scant teaspoon ground cumin
>> 3 tablespoons chili powder <----------------
>> 1 scant teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>> 1 teaspoon crushed dried hot chiles

> .....is that correct? As I understand it, chili powder, as opposed to
> chile
> powder, is just powdered chiles with additional spices like cumin,
> oregano,
> etc, mixed in. That chili powder seems redundant. Should it be powdered
> chile? I mean, why go out and buy a separate ingredient (chili powder)
> when
> you're already putting the same ingredients in? Probably fresher, too.

I just double-checked, and it *is* correct. Of course, you're free to adapt
the recipe as you see fit. If you're concerned about an age-muted taste, you
could always concoct your own chili powder; there are plenty of recipes
available.

Bob