Old 27-12-2004, 12:37 AM
Sheryl Rosen

Default Pea Soup Recipe

For some reason, I decided to make pea soup today.

I remember as a teenager deciding that I didn't like pea soup.
Haven't had it since and never really missed it. But I was in the grocery
store today and I saw a bag of split peas, and it was snowing out...and
something made me think: "Today would be a good day to make pea soup".

So I came home and made the following:

Pea Soup

1 large onion, diced small
2 medium sized carrots, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced

3/4 lb smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick.

1 tablespoon corn oil

1 lb split green peas, sorted, rinsed and drained

10 cups chicken stock (I used canned, thinned with some water)
2 bay leaves (thanks, Boron/Gloria!)
pinch of thyme
2 pinches of parsley
pepper to taste

In my 8 quart dutch oven, I sauteed the sliced sausages until some fat was
rendered out of them and they started to brown. I added in the veggies and
sauteed them until they were nice and tender, but not brown, about 15
minutes. At one point, I needed a bit more fat, so I added in the oil.
When the veggies were soft and the meat brown, I added in the peas, stock
and herbs. It's simmering now.

When the peas are tender, I'll adjust the salt and pepper, maybe add a
splash of vinegar for brightness (I saw them do this on America's Test
Kitchens with pea soup) and pack it up in serving size portions for lunches
at work this week.

I didn't have a ham bone, that's why I used the smoked sausage, it's what I
had. I think it will be fine. I didn't add any salt b/c the sausage and the
canned broth are salted enough. but will taste it and add it if needed. I
doubt it will though.

I won't puree it b/c I think that has always been my objection to pea
soup....the texture. I prefer my soups chunky. The chunks of veggies from
the mirepoix I started with will help my texture objection, too. Most I
will do is maybe puree a cup or two of veggies and mix that back in. So it
will have some body but it won't be entirely smooth. Ick.

Old 27-12-2004, 12:48 AM
Sheryl Rosen

in article , Sheryl Rosen at
wrote on 12/26/04 6:37 PM:

[...]

Just tasted it.....
Yum!

I think if I add the vinegar, it will be as I serve it.

It doesn't need pureeing at all. It's perfect as is. After about an hour
simmering, it's not terribly thick, the peas have turned mushy and some have
disintegrated, but most are still visible. For variety, I tossed in a
handful of frozen peas (maybe a quarter cupful...whatever was left in a bag
of frozen).

I tasted it and it's delicious! Good eatin' for lunch this week!!!!

Old 27-12-2004, 02:19 AM
PENMART01

Sheryl Rosen writes:

[...]

That's pretty much the recipe I use but part way through I also add a couple
diced potatoes... makes it more chunky. I also add a couple bay leaves and a
big pinch of marjoram... and I prefer the flavor of white pepper in pea soup...
I also like to occasionally make yellow split pea soup (assuming you used
green). And I often use those packets of dry soup mix by Goodman's and
Striet's, as a base, then dress them up with whatever... instead of pork
sausage/ham bone I think slicing in a few kosher hot dogs is much better...
tastes better, even even looks nicer.

Pea Soup Kitsch: http://www.peasoupandersens.net/

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old 27-12-2004, 02:36 AM
[email protected]

What could it be, the pea soup fairy? Me too. Pea soup.

Well in one soup kettle. The other has turkey soup simmering. The pea
soup has no meat; potato, carrot, celery, onion. Fennel and cumin seed,
done to paste in the mortar and pestle with the garlic and salt. Cider
vinegar. Yum. Zee

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
in article , Sheryl Rosen at

Old 27-12-2004, 02:36 AM
[email protected]

What could it be, the pea soup fairy? Me too. Pea soup.

Well in one soup kettle. The other has turkey soup simmering. The pea
soup has no meat; potato, carrot, celery, onion. Fennel and cumin seed,
done to paste in the mortar and pestle with the garlic and salt. Cider
vinegar. Yum. Zee

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
in article , Sheryl Rosen at

Old 27-12-2004, 02:45 AM
Sheryl Rosen

in article , PENMART01 at
wrote on 12/26/04 8:19 PM:

Sheryl Rosen writes:

[...]

I considered adding potato, but wasn't sure it went with it. I might next
time. I did use bay leaves, but thyme rather than marjoram.

Yes, I used green split peas.

It tastes fairly reminiscent of the tubes of soup mix you spoke about. Those
were a mainstay in my mom's kitchen! I'll have to try that again. If I
recall, it makes a small pot full, which for a single person household, is
my preference.

I found a recipe for yellow split pea soup with canadian bacon in a
slow-cooker recipe booklet put out by Betty Crocker. It's several years old,
(the booklet) but the soup recipes looked good. Now that I discovered I can
use the crockpot on a light timer, and it doesn't have to cook for 10-11
hours, I'll use it more this winter.

Old 27-12-2004, 02:57 AM
Damsel in dis Dress

On 26 Dec 2004 17:36:31 -0800, wrote:

What could it be, the pea soup fairy? Me too. Pea soup.

*grin* I've been wanting to make some, myself.

Mom used to make it a lot, and I never could stand it. My ex, though,
loved it. But he was unable to look at it. He'd get a bowl, go into the
living room with the TV on, turn off all the lights, and eat it in the
dark. G

I've got a completely different take on pea soup than most, I think. I
like the peas intact, and chunks of carrots. And it's spicy (I don't
remember who to thank for the basic spice mix). Crash added the pepperoni,
and it really makes the soup. Here's the recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Spicy Split Pea Soup

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : legumes soups/chowders

1/4 pound bacon
1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
1 medium onion -- chopped fine
1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
16 ounces split peas
5 cups water
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf

In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and set
aside. Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove to
large saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until
onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.

Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add carrots,
then stir in the herbs and spices.

Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45 minutes, or
until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if necessary. Remove
bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 301 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (22% calories from fat);
19g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 12mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit;
1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Old 27-12-2004, 03:27 AM
PENMART01

Sheryl Rosen writes:

It tastes fairly reminiscent of the tubes of soup mix you spoke about. Those
were a mainstay in my mom's kitchen! I'll have to try that again. If I
recall, it makes a small pot full, which for a single person household, is
my preference.

I keep a supply of those dry soup tube packets on hand all year but make sure
to have lots for winter, I especially like the vegetable barley w/'shrooms.
They are a lot more costly now ('bout $1.39) than they were when I grew up
watching my mother use them (10 - 3/25), and her mother... we never had
Lipton's or Campbell's... my mother (and grandmother) said those were dreck,
and so it was. One packet doesn't make a huge quantity but it makes more than
sufficient for a few good sized bowls full. But as I mentioned, I almost
always (actually *always*) doctor it and so end up with 2-3-4 times more... a
packet of vegetable barley w'shrooms in with a pot roast yields the roast plus
about 6 quarts soup (thick).

I found a recipe for yellow split pea soup with canadian bacon in a
slow-cooker recipe booklet put out by Betty Crocker. It's several years old,
(the booklet) but the soup recipes looked good. Now that I discovered I can
use the crockpot on a light timer, and it doesn't have to cook for 10-11
hours, I'll use it more this winter.

I don't own a slow cooker... I'm sure they're fine... but they don't work for
me. I'm a taster and adder... I don't mind fussing with my cooking, actually
for me unless I fuss with a pot continously all day it ain't really cooking. I
don't look for short cuts, in fact I tend to find ways that make the cooking
experience last longer. I made meat loaf for dinner tonight... took about six
hours... first I grind the meat...

I keep a full compliment of soup staples, from all kinds of dried beans to
every shape of small pasta imaginable.

Old 27-12-2004, 05:08 AM
[email protected]

Ummmhmmm. I have a similar recipe, old yellowed newspaper clipping.
Sausage instead of bacon, crushed yellow mustard seed along with the
cloves and the rest; and a bottle of beer. Quite good really, but I
seldom have the beer and find I always have the vegetarian version.

Now I have to strain the turkey broth. I put unpeeled whole onions in
this time. The skins make it such a nice colour. Zee

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
[...]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- -

Per serving: 301 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (22% calories from

fat);
19g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 12mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0

Fruit;
1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote

me."

Old 27-12-2004, 05:30 AM
Richard Periut

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

PENMART01 at wrote on 12/26/04 9:27 PM:

I found a recipe for yellow split pea soup with canadian bacon in a
slow-cooker recipe booklet put out by Betty Crocker. It's several years old,
(the booklet) but the soup recipes looked good. Now that I discovered I can
use the crockpot on a light timer, and it doesn't have to cook for 10-11
hours, I'll use it more this winter.

I don't own a slow cooker... I'm sure they're fine... but they don't work for
me. I'm a taster and adder... I don't mind fussing with my cooking, actually
for me unless I fuss with a pot continously all day it ain't really cooking.

I am also a taster and adder. But I don't always have the time during the
week to cook like that, because I work an hour away from home...I'm gone for
10-11 hours at a time, and after a long day...sometimes I just want supper,
but I don't feel like cooking, dirtying pots and pans that I have to clean
up, waiting for dinner to be ready, etc. So I need shortcuts. Some people
rely on "tv dinner" frozen meals for times when they just want to eat, but
don't have time or energy to actually cook. That's not my style. I either
cook a lot on the weekends for the entire week, or put my own good
ingredients in my crock pot so dinner is ready when I get home.

Yeah., it's a shortcut, but it's still "cooking".
I know people who live on frozen dinners and "meals in a box". That's not
cooking.

Sounds good.

I shall include this recipe in the grand repertoire of internet recipes
which I punch holes and insert in binders.

It's a project that one day I can make into a book, or just simply hand
it down to my daughters who will have tons of recipes to sift trough.

Your names shall be remembered.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."