Wayne Boatwright

Default Disappointing Christmas Dinner

I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
tough as shoe leather.

I thought I had beef broth in the freezer to add to the drippings for
gravy. Nada! Not even a can in the pantry. Pitiful gravy!

I accidentally added too much milk/cream mixture to the potatoes while
mashing and they were much too soft for my tastes. Tried leaving them for
a few minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. It didn't help enough.

My jar of horseradish in the fridge was nearly empty. Funny, I seem to
remember it being nearly full the last I looked.

The mincemeat and pumpkin pies were incredibly good. I should have stopped
with the pies! :-)

I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a letdown.
Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint ourselves than
others.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Andrew H. Carter

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 04:50:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > scribbled
some thoughts:

>I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
>stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
>couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
>beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
>tough as shoe leather.

It's my understanding, though I may be wrong, that if you marinade a piece
of meat in wine, the alcohol will help to break down the fibers. If that's
true, then perhaps next time you could try that route, or perhaps go to a
local butcher and with a friend go halves on a steer, either freshly
slaughtered, or one still alive, then yo may have a little bit moe control
over the age/toughness.

>I thought I had beef broth in the freezer to add to the drippings for
>gravy. Nada! Not even a can in the pantry. Pitiful gravy!
>
>I accidentally added too much milk/cream mixture to the potatoes while
>mashing and they were much too soft for my tastes. Tried leaving them for
>a few minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. It didn't help enough.

Could you have added another spud? To cut down on the cooking time you
could peel it, dice it, then boil it.

>My jar of horseradish in the fridge was nearly empty. Funny, I seem to
>remember it being nearly full the last I looked.

What yould you need horseradish for?

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\
Andrew H. Carter

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\
Wayne Boatwright

Andrew H. Carter > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 04:50:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
> scribbled some thoughts:
>

>>I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
>>stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and
>>I couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it
>>looked beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but
>>it was as tough as shoe leather.

> It's my understanding, though I may be wrong, that if you marinade a
> piece of meat in wine, the alcohol will help to break down the fibers.
> If that's true, then perhaps next time you could try that route, or
> perhaps go to a local butcher and with a friend go halves on a steer,
> either freshly slaughtered, or one still alive, then yo may have a
> little bit moe control over the age/toughness.

Thanks, Andrew. All good ideas. While I don't cook a standing rib roast
often (perhaps 3-4 times a year), I normally buy from a very reliable
butcher and the meat is wonderful, albeit expensive. I don't usually mind
the price, since it isn't a frequent expense.

>>I thought I had beef broth in the freezer to add to the drippings for
>>gravy. Nada! Not even a can in the pantry. Pitiful gravy!
>>
>>I accidentally added too much milk/cream mixture to the potatoes while
>>mashing and they were much too soft for my tastes. Tried leaving them
>>for a few minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. It didn't help
>>enough.
>>

> Could you have added another spud? To cut down on the cooking time you
> could peel it, dice it, then boil it.

Duh! An excellent idea! I just didn't think of it. I could have nuked it
even more quickly, mashed and added it to the mix. I think I was so
frustrated at that point that to think of anything. :-)

>>My jar of horseradish in the fridge was nearly empty. Funny, I seem to
>>remember it being nearly full the last I looked.

> What yould you need horseradish for?

I usually make a cream horseradish sauce to go with the meat. I had the
cream, but...

>>The mincemeat and pumpkin pies were incredibly good. I should have
>>stopped with the pies! :-)
>>
>>I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a
>>letdown. Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint
>>ourselves than others.

Thanks, Andrew...

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

Andrew H. Carter > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 04:50:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
> scribbled some thoughts:
>

>>I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
>>stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and
>>I couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it
>>looked beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but
>>it was as tough as shoe leather.

> It's my understanding, though I may be wrong, that if you marinade a
> piece of meat in wine, the alcohol will help to break down the fibers.
> If that's true, then perhaps next time you could try that route, or
> perhaps go to a local butcher and with a friend go halves on a steer,
> either freshly slaughtered, or one still alive, then yo may have a
> little bit moe control over the age/toughness.

Thanks, Andrew. All good ideas. While I don't cook a standing rib roast
often (perhaps 3-4 times a year), I normally buy from a very reliable
butcher and the meat is wonderful, albeit expensive. I don't usually mind
the price, since it isn't a frequent expense.

>>I thought I had beef broth in the freezer to add to the drippings for
>>gravy. Nada! Not even a can in the pantry. Pitiful gravy!
>>
>>I accidentally added too much milk/cream mixture to the potatoes while
>>mashing and they were much too soft for my tastes. Tried leaving them
>>for a few minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. It didn't help
>>enough.
>>

> Could you have added another spud? To cut down on the cooking time you
> could peel it, dice it, then boil it.

Duh! An excellent idea! I just didn't think of it. I could have nuked it
even more quickly, mashed and added it to the mix. I think I was so
frustrated at that point that to think of anything. :-)

>>My jar of horseradish in the fridge was nearly empty. Funny, I seem to
>>remember it being nearly full the last I looked.

> What yould you need horseradish for?

I usually make a cream horseradish sauce to go with the meat. I had the
cream, but...

>>The mincemeat and pumpkin pies were incredibly good. I should have
>>stopped with the pies! :-)
>>
>>I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a
>>letdown. Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint
>>ourselves than others.

Thanks, Andrew...

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
> stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
> couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
> beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
> tough as shoe leather.

Sorry to hear that. I've had very good luck with the Angus beef but I guess
anything alive like that can be deceiving. IIRC, all the Angus is "choice"
grade (or better) too.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Wayne Boatwright

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
>> stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and
>> I couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it
>> looked beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but
>> it was as tough as shoe leather.

> Sorry to hear that. I've had very good luck with the Angus beef but I
> guess anything alive like that can be deceiving. IIRC, all the Angus is
> "choice" grade (or better) too.

I've bought Angus ribeye steaks from the same place and they've been
excellent. According to the meat man, all their Angus is Choice.

I had never bought a rib roast there before. Usually I buy those from a
private butcher and lucky enough to get Prime. Guess I'm spoiled! :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
>> stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and
>> I couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it
>> looked beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but
>> it was as tough as shoe leather.

> Sorry to hear that. I've had very good luck with the Angus beef but I
> guess anything alive like that can be deceiving. IIRC, all the Angus is
> "choice" grade (or better) too.

I've bought Angus ribeye steaks from the same place and they've been
excellent. According to the meat man, all their Angus is Choice.

I had never bought a rib roast there before. Usually I buy those from a
private butcher and lucky enough to get Prime. Guess I'm spoiled! :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
>> stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and
>> I couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it
>> looked beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but
>> it was as tough as shoe leather.

> Sorry to hear that. I've had very good luck with the Angus beef but I
> guess anything alive like that can be deceiving. IIRC, all the Angus is
> "choice" grade (or better) too.

I've bought Angus ribeye steaks from the same place and they've been
excellent. According to the meat man, all their Angus is Choice.

I had never bought a rib roast there before. Usually I buy those from a
private butcher and lucky enough to get Prime. Guess I'm spoiled! :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Bigbazza

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
> stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
> couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
> beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
> tough as shoe leather.

(Snipped for brevity........)

> Hi...Wayne !....What a disapointment for you on one of the day's that we
> really set out to create a fine meal !.....I was a little disapointed
> myself (and have been for a few years now )....I really 'like' a 'Hot'
> Christmas meal myself....I said in a previous post that I always used to
> have a 'Hot' Christmas meal when my late wife (Helen) was alive..she would
> produce a really 'delicious' hot Christmas dinner..and usually for 20 +
> people ! Since my wife passed away 16 yrs ago ..I have had Christmas
> dinner with my married Daughter and family...at first for the first couple
> of years we had a mixture of 'Hot and Cold' things..(We have always had it
> at her MIL's )...But the last 12 yrs or so it has been a 'Cold'
> meal...Nice, but 'Cold'...I suppose it 'suits' our weather here in Sydney,
> Australia...but I don't like it !...As 'I' cook the pPork every yr..I
> insist on cooking it earlier on Christmas day..and it is still a 'little'
> warm (and not dried out in fridge)...I also make a Sauce for it....

Why don't you approach the 'Store' that you bought your Standing Rib Roast
from and make a 'complaint' about it ...I would...and I DO whenever it
happens to me...Any decent store will always offer your money back + to
replace your meat with a better quality (as it should have been in the first
place).....

Have a better meal for New Years Eve !...LOL

--
Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz.

Andrew H. Carter

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 06:01:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > scribbled
some thoughts:

>I usually make a cream horseradish sauce to go with the meat. I had the
>cream, but...

Repeat the Mantra:

I am a wolf, I like my meat in it's natural juices.
I am a wolf, I like my meat in it's natural juices.
I am a wolf, I like my meat in it's natural juices.
I am a wolf, I like my meat in it's natural juices.
I am a wolf, I like my meat in it's natural juices.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\
Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
> stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
> couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
> beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
> tough as shoe leather.
>
> I thought I had beef broth in the freezer to add to the drippings for
> gravy. Nada! Not even a can in the pantry. Pitiful gravy!
>
> I accidentally added too much milk/cream mixture to the potatoes while
> mashing and they were much too soft for my tastes. Tried leaving them for
> a few minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. It didn't help enough.
>
> My jar of horseradish in the fridge was nearly empty. Funny, I seem to
> remember it being nearly full the last I looked.
>
> The mincemeat and pumpkin pies were incredibly good. I should have stopped
> with the pies! :-)
>
> I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a letdown.
> Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint ourselves than
> others.

I hate Angus beef. ;-)
It's some of the toughest and most flavorless beef I've ever eaten.
I've no idea why they push it so much! <sigh>
I'm sorry your roast did not turn out. That stuff is expensive.
I'd just salvage what is left by making a slow cooked stew or some such?

As for horseradish, it's rather easy to grow but put in in a very large
pot or it'll take over! <G> Mine is in a 5 gallon pot. This way, you
will never run out of the stuff.

Glad your pies turned out well! I cheated and bought one. We had roast
duck from the Oriental market......

Merry Christmas! :-)
--
K.
Wayne Boatwright

"Bigbazza" > wrote in
:

> Hi...Wayne !....What a disapointment for you on one of the day's that
> we really set out to create a fine meal !.....I was a little
> disapointed myself (and have been for a few years now )....I really
> 'like' a 'Hot' Christmas meal myself....I said in a previous post that
> I always used to have a 'Hot' Christmas meal when my late wife (Helen)
> was alive..she would produce a really 'delicious' hot Christmas
> dinner..and usually for 20 + people ! Since my wife passed away 16 yrs
> ago ..I have had Christmas dinner with my married Daughter and
> family...at first for the first couple of years we had a mixture of
> 'Hot and Cold' things..(We have always had it at her MIL's )...But the
> last 12 yrs or so it has been a 'Cold' meal...Nice, but 'Cold'...I
> suppose it 'suits' our weather here in Sydney, Australia...but I don't
> like it !...As 'I' cook the pPork every yr..I insist on cooking it
> earlier on Christmas day..and it is still a 'little' warm (and not
> dried out in fridge)...I also make a Sauce for it....

I certainly appreciate how you feel. The passing of one's parents or one's
spouse certainly can change how we approach our traditions. Since losing
my parents I just don't feel the same about holidays as I did, although I
do carry on as many of ur traditions as possible.

> Why don't you approach the 'Store' that you bought your Standing Rib
> Roast from and make a 'complaint' about it ...I would...and I DO
> whenever it happens to me...Any decent store will always offer your
> money back + to replace your meat with a better quality (as it should
> have been in the first place).....

We talked about doing that. I don't know if this was just a fluke or
representative our their meat in general. I think they should at least
know about it.

> Have a better meal for New Years Eve !...LOL

That's a given! I have some excellent country pork ribs in the freezer
from a batch that I've already used some. I will be cooking those with
sauerkraut and the usual sides. I'm already looking forward to it!

Thanks for your kind thoughts, and have a wonderful New Years.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

Andrew H. Carter > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 06:01:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
> scribbled some thoughts:
>

>>I usually make a cream horseradish sauce to go with the meat. I had the
>>cream, but...

> Repeat the Mantra:
>
> I am a wolf, I like my meat in it's natural juices.
> I am a wolf, I like my meat in it's natural juices.
> I am a wolf, I like my meat in it's natural juices.
> I am a wolf, I like my meat in it's natural juices.
> I am a wolf, I like my meat in it's natural juices.

LOL! But I LIKE horseradish sauce. :-) At least it would have helped me
get through this meal. (sigh)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Andrew H. Carter

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 01:21:30 -0600, Katra >
scribbled some thoughts:

>In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
>> stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
>> couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
>> beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
>> tough as shoe leather.
>>
>> I thought I had beef broth in the freezer to add to the drippings for
>> gravy. Nada! Not even a can in the pantry. Pitiful gravy!
>>
>> I accidentally added too much milk/cream mixture to the potatoes while
>> mashing and they were much too soft for my tastes. Tried leaving them for
>> a few minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. It didn't help enough.
>>
>> My jar of horseradish in the fridge was nearly empty. Funny, I seem to
>> remember it being nearly full the last I looked.
>>
>> The mincemeat and pumpkin pies were incredibly good. I should have stopped
>> with the pies! :-)
>>
>> I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a letdown.
>> Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint ourselves than
>> others.

>I hate Angus beef. ;-)
>It's some of the toughest and most flavorless beef I've ever eaten.
>I've no idea why they push it so much! <sigh>
>I'm sorry your roast did not turn out. That stuff is expensive.
>I'd just salvage what is left by making a slow cooked stew or some such?

Query. Where do you get your beef?

How do you know it is what it purports it to be, as far as the breed of
animal.? Species of animal is one thing. A lamb and kid dressed out is
hard to tell the difference, in life it's easy, in death, I'd be hard
pressed and I used to raise them.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Andrew H. Carter

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\
Wayne Boatwright

Katra > wrote in
:

> I hate Angus beef. ;-)
> It's some of the toughest and most flavorless beef I've ever eaten.
> I've no idea why they push it so much! <sigh>
> I'm sorry your roast did not turn out. That stuff is expensive.
> I'd just salvage what is left by making a slow cooked stew or some
> such?

We talked of doing that. I don't think I'd attempt to eat the rest
otherwise. I have at least two pounds left. I also considered cooking
'til well done and chopping for roast beef hash.

> As for horseradish, it's rather easy to grow but put in in a very large
> pot or it'll take over! <G> Mine is in a 5 gallon pot. This way, you
> will never run out of the stuff.

Alas, my attempts in growing plants are not usually too successful. I
sometimes do buy a horseradish root and grate my own, putting some up plain
and some with beets.

> Glad your pies turned out well! I cheated and bought one. We had roast
> duck from the Oriental market......

I love Chinese roast duck. I wish we'd had that!

> Merry Christmas! :-)

And to you, Katra!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
sf

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 04:50:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
> stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
> couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
> beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
> tough as shoe leather.

Wayne... sorry to hear that the roast wasn't "good".

I made a rib roast too - fortunately it was tender and
delicious. We had company, so it would have been a big
disaster if it wasn't!

The mashed potatoes were NOT made by me (love eating them
hate making them) - they had garlic & fresh rosemary added
so it was extra special.

Also made thyme popovers - which were my minidisaster. It
was the first time I've had to pry them out of the pan.
Maybe it was because I didn't have enough fat in the tins or
because I put them back into the oven to stay warm in the
muffin tins instead of taking them out right away. Oh well,
they went down easily anyway!

sf
sf

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 04:50:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
> stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
> couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
> beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
> tough as shoe leather.

Wayne... sorry to hear that the roast wasn't "good".

I made a rib roast too - fortunately it was tender and
delicious. We had company, so it would have been a big
disaster if it wasn't!

The mashed potatoes were NOT made by me (love eating them
hate making them) - they had garlic & fresh rosemary added
so it was extra special.

Also made thyme popovers - which were my minidisaster. It
was the first time I've had to pry them out of the pan.
Maybe it was because I didn't have enough fat in the tins or
because I put them back into the oven to stay warm in the
muffin tins instead of taking them out right away. Oh well,
they went down easily anyway!

sf
Barbtail

>From: Andrew H. Carter
>
>It's my understanding, though I may be wrong, that if you marinade a piece
>of meat in wine, the alcohol will help to break down the fibers. If that's
>true, then perhaps next time you could try that route, or perhaps go to a
>local butcher and with a friend go halves on a steer, either freshly
>slaughtered, or one still alive, then yo may have a little bit moe control
>over the age/toughness.
>
>(snipped for brevity- see below)

Thing is, who wants to have to marinade a rib roast like a piece of cheap
chuck? It probably wasn't properly aged-- I'd be returning that chunk of
flesh to the store, myself.

Cheers*

Barb Anne

>Subject: Disappointing Christmas Dinner
>From: Andrew H. Carter

>Date: 12/25/2004 9:21 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 04:50:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > scribbled
>some thoughts:
>

>>I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
>>stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
>>couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
>>beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
>>tough as shoe leather.

>It's my understanding, though I may be wrong, that if you marinade a piece
>of meat in wine, the alcohol will help to break down the fibers. If that's
>true, then perhaps next time you could try that route, or perhaps go to a
>local butcher and with a friend go halves on a steer, either freshly
>slaughtered, or one still alive, then yo may have a little bit moe control
>over the age/toughness.
>

>>I thought I had beef broth in the freezer to add to the drippings for
>>gravy. Nada! Not even a can in the pantry. Pitiful gravy!
>>
>>I accidentally added too much milk/cream mixture to the potatoes while
>>mashing and they were much too soft for my tastes. Tried leaving them for
>>a few minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. It didn't help enough.
>>

>Could you have added another spud? To cut down on the cooking time you
>could peel it, dice it, then boil it.
>
>>My jar of horseradish in the fridge was nearly empty. Funny, I seem to
>>remember it being nearly full the last I looked.

>What yould you need horseradish for?
>

>>The mincemeat and pumpkin pies were incredibly good. I should have stopped
>>with the pies! :-)
>>
>>I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a letdown.
>>Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint ourselves than
>>others.

>--
>
>Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
> | (©) (©)
>Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
>d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Stark

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a letdown.
> Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint ourselves than
> others.

Just the opposite here in Memfis. Everything turned out perfectly for
our soiree--dishes that is. The weather chose to sleet and freeze and
we had no alternative but to offer our guests an option to cancel. They
did. Who wants to see Geezers on Ice? So my wife and I enjoyed a
candle-light dinner and pre-celebrated our 38th anniversary.
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 04:50:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a letdown.
>Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint ourselves than
>others.

It sounds like you had a slightly-off, but wonderful dinner. You were able
to share it with the one you love, which makes everything better. I'm
happy for you.

Carol

sf

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:59:48 GMT, Stark >
wrote:

> Just the opposite here in Memfis. Everything turned out perfectly for
> our soiree--dishes that is. The weather chose to sleet and freeze and
> we had no alternative but to offer our guests an option to cancel. They
> did. Who wants to see Geezers on Ice?

At least I now know how you came to have 2 pounds of
leftover roast beef.

> So my wife and I enjoyed a
> candle-light dinner and pre-celebrated our 38th anniversary.

That sounds very nice! What's your anniversary date?

sf
Jim Rutkowski

>I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
>stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
>couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
>beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
>tough as shoe leather

>I thought I had beef broth in the freezer to add to the drippings for
>gravy. Nada! Not even a can in the pantry. Pitiful gravy!
>
>I accidentally added too much milk/cream mixture to the potatoes while
>mashing and they were much too soft for my tastes. Tried leaving them for
>a few minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. It didn't help enough.
>
>My jar of horseradish in the fridge was nearly empty. Funny, I seem to
>remember it being nearly full the last I looked.
>
>The mincemeat and pumpkin pies were incredibly good. I should have stopped
>with the pies! :-)
>
>I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a letdown.
>Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint ourselves than
>others.

Wayne,

Sounds like my Thanksgiving dinner, wrong stuffing, ruined the gravy,
taters mushy....bah!

I try not to cook much on Christmas, picked up a ham, made some
simple appetizers, your pumpkin pie recipe was a hit, simple easy
stuff. NOW on Sunday, old cranky wants a DINNER, mashed potatos gravy
the works. Well, she's getting her wish, warm some ham, mash some
taters, open a can of freakin' corn throw it on the table and I'm
going to Joe-Jo's for a little day after Christmas tradition on my
own. LOTS OF BEER and conversation with my good-hearted buffoonish
buddies.

Makes ME feel better, feel free to stop by and commiserate.

Jim

Jim Rutkowski

>I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
>stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
>couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
>beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
>tough as shoe leather

>I thought I had beef broth in the freezer to add to the drippings for
>gravy. Nada! Not even a can in the pantry. Pitiful gravy!
>
>I accidentally added too much milk/cream mixture to the potatoes while
>mashing and they were much too soft for my tastes. Tried leaving them for
>a few minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. It didn't help enough.
>
>My jar of horseradish in the fridge was nearly empty. Funny, I seem to
>remember it being nearly full the last I looked.
>
>The mincemeat and pumpkin pies were incredibly good. I should have stopped
>with the pies! :-)
>
>I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a letdown.
>Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint ourselves than
>others.

Wayne,

Sounds like my Thanksgiving dinner, wrong stuffing, ruined the gravy,
taters mushy....bah!

I try not to cook much on Christmas, picked up a ham, made some
simple appetizers, your pumpkin pie recipe was a hit, simple easy
stuff. NOW on Sunday, old cranky wants a DINNER, mashed potatos gravy
the works. Well, she's getting her wish, warm some ham, mash some
taters, open a can of freakin' corn throw it on the table and I'm
going to Joe-Jo's for a little day after Christmas tradition on my
own. LOTS OF BEER and conversation with my good-hearted buffoonish
buddies.

Makes ME feel better, feel free to stop by and commiserate.

Jim

Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in
:

> Also made thyme popovers - which were my minidisaster. It
> was the first time I've had to pry them out of the pan.
> Maybe it was because I didn't have enough fat in the tins or
> because I put them back into the oven to stay warm in the
> muffin tins instead of taking them out right away. Oh well,
> they went down easily anyway!
>
> sf

Probably not enough drippings. Although, muffins left in the pan will often
stick unless removed right away. Perhaps the slight cooling contributes to
it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in
:

> Also made thyme popovers - which were my minidisaster. It
> was the first time I've had to pry them out of the pan.
> Maybe it was because I didn't have enough fat in the tins or
> because I put them back into the oven to stay warm in the
> muffin tins instead of taking them out right away. Oh well,
> they went down easily anyway!
>
> sf

Probably not enough drippings. Although, muffins left in the pan will often
stick unless removed right away. Perhaps the slight cooling contributes to
it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

Stark > wrote in :

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a
>> letdown. Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint
>> ourselves than others.

> Just the opposite here in Memfis. Everything turned out perfectly for
> our soiree--dishes that is. The weather chose to sleet and freeze and
> we had no alternative but to offer our guests an option to cancel. They
> did. Who wants to see Geezers on Ice? So my wife and I enjoyed a
> candle-light dinner and pre-celebrated our 38th anniversary.

Congratulations!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

Stark > wrote in :

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a
>> letdown. Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint
>> ourselves than others.

> Just the opposite here in Memfis. Everything turned out perfectly for
> our soiree--dishes that is. The weather chose to sleet and freeze and
> we had no alternative but to offer our guests an option to cancel. They
> did. Who wants to see Geezers on Ice? So my wife and I enjoyed a
> candle-light dinner and pre-celebrated our 38th anniversary.

Congratulations!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 04:50:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a letdown.
>>Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint ourselves than
>>others.

> It sounds like you had a slightly-off, but wonderful dinner. You were able
> to share it with the one you love, which makes everything better. I'm
> happy for you.
>
> Carol

Yes, Carol, you're right! I'd rather spend a holiday alone with my better
half than any other way. However, we've decided the remains of the roast go
back to the store tomorrow. That's too much money to pay for something you
can't eat, and we ate very little of it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne Boatwright

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 04:50:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>I'm used to turning out near perfect meals, so this was really a letdown.
>>Luckily we had no invited guests. I rather just disappoint ourselves than
>>others.

> It sounds like you had a slightly-off, but wonderful dinner. You were able
> to share it with the one you love, which makes everything better. I'm
> happy for you.
>
> Carol

Yes, Carol, you're right! I'd rather spend a holiday alone with my better
half than any other way. However, we've decided the remains of the roast go
back to the store tomorrow. That's too much money to pay for something you
can't eat, and we ate very little of it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
nancree

" I accidentally added too much milk/cream mixture to the potatoes
while
mashing and they were much too soft for my tastes. Tried leaving them
for
a few minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. It didn't help
enough."

I try to keep a small amount of instant potatoe flakes on hand, just
for this purpose. Added slowly and cautiously to over-creamed
potatoes, it can solve the problem. Sorry you had trouble.

Nancree

Wayne Boatwright

Jim Rutkowski > wrote in
:

> Wayne,
>
> Sounds like my Thanksgiving dinner, wrong stuffing, ruined the gravy,
> taters mushy....bah!
>
> I try not to cook much on Christmas, picked up a ham, made some
> simple appetizers, your pumpkin pie recipe was a hit, simple easy
> stuff. NOW on Sunday, old cranky wants a DINNER, mashed potatos gravy
> the works. Well, she's getting her wish, warm some ham, mash some
> taters, open a can of freakin' corn throw it on the table and I'm
> going to Joe-Jo's for a little day after Christmas tradition on my
> own. LOTS OF BEER and conversation with my good-hearted buffoonish
> buddies.
>
> Makes ME feel better, feel free to stop by and commiserate.
>
> Jim

Thanks, Jim. We have several errands to run this afternoon, and now we're
just heating up a bite to eat and kick back here at home. I have to be at
work at 7am tomorrow.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Damsel in dis Dress

:

>> It sounds like you had a slightly-off, but wonderful dinner. You were able
>> to share it with the one you love, which makes everything better. I'm
>> happy for you.

>Yes, Carol, you're right! I'd rather spend a holiday alone with my better
>half than any other way. However, we've decided the remains of the roast go
>back to the store tomorrow. That's too much money to pay for something you
>can't eat, and we ate very little of it.

I don't blame you. Prime rib should be fabulously tender. I hope they'll
see fit to return your money. Something tells me, though, that you won't
take no for an answer.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

:

>> It sounds like you had a slightly-off, but wonderful dinner. You were able
>> to share it with the one you love, which makes everything better. I'm
>> happy for you.

>Yes, Carol, you're right! I'd rather spend a holiday alone with my better
>half than any other way. However, we've decided the remains of the roast go
>back to the store tomorrow. That's too much money to pay for something you
>can't eat, and we ate very little of it.

I don't blame you. Prime rib should be fabulously tender. I hope they'll
see fit to return your money. Something tells me, though, that you won't
take no for an answer.

Carol

Wayne Boatwright

"nancree" > wrote in news:1104111468.576695.278670
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> " I accidentally added too much milk/cream mixture to the potatoes
> while
> mashing and they were much too soft for my tastes. Tried leaving them
> for
> a few minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. It didn't help
> enough."
>
> I try to keep a small amount of instant potatoe flakes on hand, just
> for this purpose. Added slowly and cautiously to over-creamed
> potatoes, it can solve the problem. Sorry you had trouble.
>
> Nancree

Thanks, Nancree, an excellent idea. As it happens, I had both potato flakes
and potato starch in the pantry. I just didn't think! :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:36:13 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
m:

>>> It sounds like you had a slightly-off, but wonderful dinner. You were
>>> able to share it with the one you love, which makes everything better.
>>> I'm happy for you.

>>Yes, Carol, you're right! I'd rather spend a holiday alone with my
>>better half than any other way. However, we've decided the remains of
>>the roast go back to the store tomorrow. That's too much money to pay
>>for something you can't eat, and we ate very little of it.

> I don't blame you. Prime rib should be fabulously tender. I hope
> they'll see fit to return your money. Something tells me, though, that
> you won't take no for an answer.
>
> Carol

They're a good store and I'm sure they'll do the right thing. We shop
there frequently. I won't leave without a refund or a credit slip. :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Ed Clark

Sorry to hear about the roast Wayne. We got a 8.3 lb standing rib from
Fry's. The butcher cut the rib off then tied it back on for cooking
purposes. It was neatly trimmed of excess fat and ready to go. I stuck a
few slivers of garlic in, heavily peppered it then encased it in salt. In
at 425 degrees for 2 3/4 hours. It was perfect.

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> I guess it's sometimes true that you get what you pay for. One of our
> stores was offering a great sale price on Angus standing rib roasts and I
> couldn't resist. I will next time. It looked beautiful raw and it looked
> beautiful after roasting, rosy red to pink and well-marbled, but it was as
> tough as shoe leather.

Dave Smith

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Probably not enough drippings. Although, muffins left in the pan will often
> stick unless removed right away. Perhaps the slight cooling contributes to
> it.

I doubt it could have been as bland as the gravy my sister in law made. There
was certainly enough of it, but I'll be darned if I would have tried to make a
gallon of gravy with the drippings from one turkey. There's only enough flavor
to go so far, and then it starts to look and taste like cooked paste.