notbob

Default I have a date

Actually, I have more than one date. Never having had more than one date
before, I have no clue on how to keep a date. Can anyone tell me how to
keep a date from going bad? (the food, you sillies!...

nb
Hahabogus

notbob > wrote in

> Actually, I have more than one date. Never having had more than one
> date before, I have no clue on how to keep a date. Can anyone tell
> me how to keep a date from going bad? (the food, you sillies!...
>

> nb

I would suggest liquor is quicker but candy is dandy for either type.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Hahabogus

notbob > wrote in

> Actually, I have more than one date. Never having had more than one
> date before, I have no clue on how to keep a date. Can anyone tell
> me how to keep a date from going bad? (the food, you sillies!...
>

> nb

I would suggest liquor is quicker but candy is dandy for either type.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Margaret Suran

notbob wrote:
> Actually, I have more than one date. Never having had more than one date
> before, I have no clue on how to keep a date. Can anyone tell me how to
> keep a date from going bad? (the food, you sillies!...
>
> nb

Is it a fresh date, perhaps on a small branch with many more or a
container of dates, either with or without pits, whole or chopped?
They are great in many breads and cakes or filled with nuts and
dredged in sugar as dessert. The fresh ones are delicious to eat, but
difficult to find in New York City.

Wayne Boatwright

Margaret Suran > wrote in
:

> notbob wrote:
>> Actually, I have more than one date. Never having had more than one
>> date before, I have no clue on how to keep a date. Can anyone tell me
>> how to keep a date from going bad? (the food, you sillies!...
>>
>> nb

> Is it a fresh date, perhaps on a small branch with many more or a
> container of dates, either with or without pits, whole or chopped?
> They are great in many breads and cakes or filled with nuts and
> dredged in sugar as dessert. The fresh ones are delicious to eat, but
> difficult to find in New York City.

Fresh dates fall to the ground in clusters from the palm tree across the
street from our houwe. They are, indeed, delicious!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne Boatwright

Margaret Suran > wrote in
:

> notbob wrote:
>> Actually, I have more than one date. Never having had more than one
>> date before, I have no clue on how to keep a date. Can anyone tell me
>> how to keep a date from going bad? (the food, you sillies!...
>>
>> nb

> Is it a fresh date, perhaps on a small branch with many more or a
> container of dates, either with or without pits, whole or chopped?
> They are great in many breads and cakes or filled with nuts and
> dredged in sugar as dessert. The fresh ones are delicious to eat, but
> difficult to find in New York City.

Fresh dates fall to the ground in clusters from the palm tree across the
street from our houwe. They are, indeed, delicious!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Margaret Suran

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Fresh dates fall to the ground in clusters from the palm tree across the
> street from our house. They are, indeed, delicious!

You are lucky, I love fresh dates off the tree, something that the
vendors with fruit carts on many corners in my neighborhood, sell once
in a long while. Fruit stores do not have them, at least not the
really fresh ones.

I have never seen a date tree. Is it a real tree or a palm on which
they grow? I remember how impressed I was, when I saw my first
coconut palm and I wondered why something so heavy didn't grow close
to the ground, so that nobody would get hurt when the fruit fell down.

I saw a pecan tree once, in Jamaica. I wonder what a mango tree
looks like. My son's neighbor in Miami, Florida, had avocado trees.
There were always ripe avocados on the ground, to be had for bending
down and picking them up.

There are so many fruits that come from trees or bushes I have never
seen.

Margaret Suran

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Fresh dates fall to the ground in clusters from the palm tree across the
> street from our house. They are, indeed, delicious!

You are lucky, I love fresh dates off the tree, something that the
vendors with fruit carts on many corners in my neighborhood, sell once
in a long while. Fruit stores do not have them, at least not the
really fresh ones.

I have never seen a date tree. Is it a real tree or a palm on which
they grow? I remember how impressed I was, when I saw my first
coconut palm and I wondered why something so heavy didn't grow close
to the ground, so that nobody would get hurt when the fruit fell down.

I saw a pecan tree once, in Jamaica. I wonder what a mango tree
looks like. My son's neighbor in Miami, Florida, had avocado trees.
There were always ripe avocados on the ground, to be had for bending
down and picking them up.

There are so many fruits that come from trees or bushes I have never
seen.

orion

It's my experience that the really 'bad' dates can be the best.

Not talking about food. ;-) The food dates I keep in the fridge, but
I only buy them in small quantities so I use them up pretty quickly.
Suzan

Barbtail

>From: Margaret Suran

>You are lucky, I love fresh dates off the tree, something that the
>vendors with fruit carts on many corners in my neighborhood, sell once
>in a long while. Fruit stores do not have them, at least not the
>really fresh ones.
>
>I have never seen a date tree. Is it a real tree or a palm on which
>they grow? I remember how impressed I was, when I saw my first
>coconut palm and I wondered why something so heavy didn't grow close
>to the ground, so that nobody would get hurt when the fruit fell down.
>
> I saw a pecan tree once, in Jamaica. I wonder what a mango tree
>looks like. My son's neighbor in Miami, Florida, had avocado trees.
>There were always ripe avocados on the ground, to be had for bending
>down and picking them up.
>
>There are so many fruits that come from trees or bushes I have never
>seen.

I am pretty sure I have never seen a date tree nor a *fresh* date. The ones
I've gotten look fairly dry. I'll have to keep an eye out for fresh dates. We
do get lots of fresh figs, apricots and prunes here though. Some people still
have trees in their yards. I wish more people would plant fruit trees. Folks
don't have to plant a grove or anything just one or two fruit trees or bushes.
The birds would love them for it *smiles*. I know it's a hassle and then there
are the feds poking in to spray now and then but there is nothing quite as
satisfying and wonderous as home grown fruit. Well I think so anyway *laughs*.

Planting fruit trees? It's for the birds!

*Cheers*

Barb Anne

Barbtail

>From: Margaret Suran

>You are lucky, I love fresh dates off the tree, something that the
>vendors with fruit carts on many corners in my neighborhood, sell once
>in a long while. Fruit stores do not have them, at least not the
>really fresh ones.
>
>I have never seen a date tree. Is it a real tree or a palm on which
>they grow? I remember how impressed I was, when I saw my first
>coconut palm and I wondered why something so heavy didn't grow close
>to the ground, so that nobody would get hurt when the fruit fell down.
>
> I saw a pecan tree once, in Jamaica. I wonder what a mango tree
>looks like. My son's neighbor in Miami, Florida, had avocado trees.
>There were always ripe avocados on the ground, to be had for bending
>down and picking them up.
>
>There are so many fruits that come from trees or bushes I have never
>seen.

I am pretty sure I have never seen a date tree nor a *fresh* date. The ones
I've gotten look fairly dry. I'll have to keep an eye out for fresh dates. We
do get lots of fresh figs, apricots and prunes here though. Some people still
have trees in their yards. I wish more people would plant fruit trees. Folks
don't have to plant a grove or anything just one or two fruit trees or bushes.
The birds would love them for it *smiles*. I know it's a hassle and then there
are the feds poking in to spray now and then but there is nothing quite as
satisfying and wonderous as home grown fruit. Well I think so anyway *laughs*.

Planting fruit trees? It's for the birds!

*Cheers*

Barb Anne

Margaret Suran

Barbtail wrote:
>> From: Margaret Suran

>> You are lucky, I love fresh dates off the tree, something that
>> the vendors with fruit carts on many corners in my neighborhood,
>> sell once in a long while. Fruit stores do not have them, at
>> least not the really fresh ones.

some text snipped

> I am pretty sure I have never seen a date tree nor a *fresh* date.
> The ones I've gotten look fairly dry. I'll have to keep an eye out
> for fresh dates. We do get lots of fresh figs, apricots and prunes
> here though. Some people still have trees in their yards. I wish
> more people would plant fruit trees. Folks don't have to plant a
> grove or anything just one or two fruit trees or bushes. The birds
> would love them for it *smiles*. I know it's a hassle and then
> there are the feds poking in to spray now and then but there is
> nothing quite as satisfying and wonderous as home grown fruit.
> Well I think so anyway *laughs*.
>

> Planting fruit trees? It's for the birds!
>
> *Cheers*
>
> Barb Anne

May I ask where you live? It sounds as if it were in a very unusual
place, where fruit trees in the back yard are unusual.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays , so that I won't get into trouble
with anybody )

Christopher Green

Date trees are a kind of palm. Not very ornamental, they are gangly and
spiny and sucker all over the place. They can be grown commercially
only in blazing-hot desert places. Harvesting dates is a job for small
and very agile young people.

If you have a grocer who caters to a Middle Eastern clientele, he will
probably have fresh dates from time to time. They are a bit of an
acquired taste, crisp rather than soft.

--
Chris Green

Barbtail

>From: Margaret Suran

>May I ask where you live? It sounds as if it were in a very unusual
>place, where fruit trees in the back yard are unusual.
>
>Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays , so that I won't get into trouble
>with anybody )

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and ever since the early 80's fruit fly
incident ( the govt came in and took everyones fruit then aerial sprayed
poisons for a few seasons) the trend has been to chop down fruit trees.
Nearly all our neighbors have gotten rid of theirs. Our (ex)next door neighbor
had two of the most prolific pears trees I'd ever seen and the first thing the
new owners did was chop them both down saying * it's too messy*. My heart fell
100 feet when I heard. I have a struggling pomegranite tree and a couple
citrus trees (meyer lemon and kifir lime). We are in the process of
relandscaping tha back yard and I plan to put in a pear tree. I hope mine does
as well as my ex-neighbor's. His trees were about 35 years old when they met
the axe *sobs*.

In the more rural areas of Northern California many people still grow fruit
trees in their yards, but it's fairly rare in the suburbs here now.

*cheers*

Barb Anne

Barbtail

>From: Margaret Suran

>May I ask where you live? It sounds as if it were in a very unusual
>place, where fruit trees in the back yard are unusual.
>
>Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays , so that I won't get into trouble
>with anybody )

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and ever since the early 80's fruit fly
incident ( the govt came in and took everyones fruit then aerial sprayed
poisons for a few seasons) the trend has been to chop down fruit trees.
Nearly all our neighbors have gotten rid of theirs. Our (ex)next door neighbor
had two of the most prolific pears trees I'd ever seen and the first thing the
new owners did was chop them both down saying * it's too messy*. My heart fell
100 feet when I heard. I have a struggling pomegranite tree and a couple
citrus trees (meyer lemon and kifir lime). We are in the process of
relandscaping tha back yard and I plan to put in a pear tree. I hope mine does
as well as my ex-neighbor's. His trees were about 35 years old when they met
the axe *sobs*.

In the more rural areas of Northern California many people still grow fruit
trees in their yards, but it's fairly rare in the suburbs here now.

*cheers*

Barb Anne

Dates are hard to fig--ure,keep them cool,keep a record in your date
book.

Wayne Boatwright

Margaret Suran > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Fresh dates fall to the ground in clusters from the palm tree across the
>> street from our house. They are, indeed, delicious!

> You are lucky, I love fresh dates off the tree, something that the
> vendors with fruit carts on many corners in my neighborhood, sell once
> in a long while. Fruit stores do not have them, at least not the
> really fresh ones.
>
> I have never seen a date tree. Is it a real tree or a palm on which
> they grow? I remember how impressed I was, when I saw my first
> coconut palm and I wondered why something so heavy didn't grow close
> to the ground, so that nobody would get hurt when the fruit fell down.

Margaret, dates grow on a "date palm" tree. See the following web
page for an example. We have many different types of palm trees in
Arizona, but all of them were originally brought here from their native
climes. Central and southern Arizona is mainly desert with its indigenous
cactii and desert trees like mesquite.

There are also Canary Island date palms which are a pygmy variety that also
bears fruit, but most of it isn't too edible. These only grow a few feet
high and are mostly decorative.

> I saw a pecan tree once, in Jamaica. I wonder what a mango tree
> looks like. My son's neighbor in Miami, Florida, had avocado trees.
> There were always ripe avocados on the ground, to be had for bending
> down and picking them up.

Oranges are like that here. Most people have more fruit than they can use.
An ornamental orange tree that proliferates here produces sour oranges and
makes wonderful marmalade. Most people throw them out.

My grandparents grew pecans and figs in Mississippi.

There is considerable commercial production of dates and pecans here in
Arizona, as well as many varieties of citrus, although people are more
familiar with Florida and California citrus. I've also seen a considerable
number of pomegranates growing in residential yards, but doubt they are
grown commercially here.

At our previous house we had orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit, and avocado
trees. They require carefully controlled irrigation to prosper, but they
produced wonderful fruit. I wanted to own a Meyer lemon tree, but they are
illegal in Arizona. I think it's because of some type of blight.

> There are so many fruits that come from trees or bushes I have never
> seen.

There are many I've never seen as well.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
zuuum

"Barbtail" > wrote in message

> I am pretty sure I have never seen a date tree nor a *fresh* date. The
> ones
> I've gotten look fairly dry. I'll have to keep an eye out for fresh dates.
> We
> do get lots of fresh figs, apricots and prunes here though. ........

Dates are the fruit of a palm... really thorny fronds too. I can go for
fresh (or cooked) figs and apricots, but the only way I can get through more
than one or two dates is to dry them further until they're about like
cardboard. When they are really dry, they make a decent garnish, chopped or
thinly sliced. Fresh are a little TOO gooey and sweet for my taste.

GIT-R-DONE!!!!

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Actually, I have more than one date. Never having had more than one date
> before, I have no clue on how to keep a date. Can anyone tell me how to
> keep a date from going bad? (the food, you sillies!...
>
> nb

I remember hearing of an arab sitting under a palm tree eating his date....