leah1314

Default Cold Brewed Coffee

I just found this in an Arthur Schwartz column on the net:
Cold-Brewed Coffee Extract
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts

1 pound good quality coffee, ground for drip
2 1/2 quarts cool tap water

In a minimum 3-quart pitcher or jar, combine the coffee and water. Let
stand for 12 hours. Strain the coffee through a regular kitchen
strainer into a 2-quart jar or pitcher. After the bulk of the coffee
Place the strainer over a bowl for a few hours to get every last drop.

I find that tastes vary about the strength of coffee. For instance, a
guest the other night who was familiar with coffee extract requested
her iced coffee be made with nothing but the extract, ice, milk and
sugar. I needed a shot of water in mine. For morning coffee, however,
I found that three parts water to one part extract, as the
manufacturer of Suzanne? gadget suggests, was too weak for me. I
preferred two parts.

For Iced Coffee
Stir together equal parts of the coffee extract and cold tap water (or
bottled water). Pour over ice. Add sugar and milk to taste.

For Hot Coffee
Use one part coffee extract to 2 to 3 parts just-boiled water.
I just noticed there is a phrase missing in the middle. Anyway, this
has the missing water too--I guess the grounds soak up a lot.
Wayne Boatwright

(leah1314) wrote in
m:

> I just found this in an Arthur Schwartz column on the net:
> Cold-Brewed Coffee Extract
> Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
>
> 1 pound good quality coffee, ground for drip
> 2 1/2 quarts cool tap water
>
> In a minimum 3-quart pitcher or jar, combine the coffee and water. Let
> stand for 12 hours. Strain the coffee through a regular kitchen
> strainer into a 2-quart jar or pitcher. After the bulk of the coffee
> Place the strainer over a bowl for a few hours to get every last drop.
>
> I find that tastes vary about the strength of coffee. For instance, a
> guest the other night who was familiar with coffee extract requested
> her iced coffee be made with nothing but the extract, ice, milk and
> sugar. I needed a shot of water in mine. For morning coffee, however,
> I found that three parts water to one part extract, as the
> manufacturer of Suzanne? gadget suggests, was too weak for me. I
> preferred two parts.
>
> For Iced Coffee
> Stir together equal parts of the coffee extract and cold tap water (or
> bottled water). Pour over ice. Add sugar and milk to taste.
>
> For Hot Coffee
> Use one part coffee extract to 2 to 3 parts just-boiled water.
> I just noticed there is a phrase missing in the middle. Anyway, this
> has the missing water too--I guess the grounds soak up a lot.

I've been making coffee concentrate for a couple of months since someone
was kind enough to post proportions (I apologize for not remember who,
although I know I thanked them).

Their recommendation was one 13-14oz can of coffee funneled into a 2-
liter pop bottle, then filled with water.

I have used Folger's dark French roast. After straining the grounds in a
strainer, I then pour the liquid through the strainer lined with a coffee
filter. This virtually elminates the murkiness of the sediment.

I only use it for iced coffee. I use equal portions of the coffee
concentrate, water, and fat-free half-n-half poured over lots of coarsely
broken (not crushed) ice. Delicious!

Wayne
JimLane

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> fat-free half-n-half
>
> Wayne

Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

jim
Wayne Boatwright

JimLane > wrote in news:1078293486.193270@news-
1.nethere.net:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> fat-free half-n-half
>>
>> Wayne

> Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
>

> jim

It does, doesn't it? Actually, if you can't have the real stuff, there are
a couple of brands of the FF HNH that aren't too bad. Beats nothing as far
as I'm concerned.

Wayne
sf

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:58:08 -0800, JimLane
> wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > fat-free half-n-half
> >
> > Wayne

> Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Guess you've never bought fat free sour cream, in that case.

Miche

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I've been making coffee concentrate for a couple of months since someone
> was kind enough to post proportions (I apologize for not remember who,
> although I know I thanked them).

That would be me.

> Their recommendation was one 13-14oz can of coffee funneled into a 2-
> liter pop bottle, then filled with water.
>
> I have used Folger's dark French roast. After straining the grounds in a
> strainer, I then pour the liquid through the strainer lined with a coffee
> filter. This virtually elminates the murkiness of the sediment.
>
> I only use it for iced coffee. I use equal portions of the coffee
> concentrate, water, and fat-free half-n-half poured over lots of coarsely
> broken (not crushed) ice. Delicious!

Glad you like it!

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Wayne Boatwright

Miche > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I've been making coffee concentrate for a couple of months since
>> someone was kind enough to post proportions (I apologize for not
>> remember who, although I know I thanked them).

> That would be me.

> Glad you like it!
>
> Miche

And I thank you again, Miche! I thought sure I had saved your post, but
apparently I just wrote the instructions down. I've read so many of your
posts over time that you'd think I'd remember. My memory for names is like
a sieve! <G>

Wayne

Carrie-Lou Salter

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:58:08 -0800, JimLane
> > wrote:
>
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> > > fat-free half-n-half
> > >
> > > Wayne

> > Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
> >

> Guess you've never bought fat free sour cream, in that case.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

hahaha, so with you on that one, I try to be fat concious most of the time,
but if I want sour cream, it's gotta be the original stuff, not any of this
light or fat-free stuff, it's just not the same!!!

Nexis

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:58:08 -0800, JimLane
> > wrote:
>
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> > > fat-free half-n-half
> > >
> > > Wayne

> > Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
> >

> Guess you've never bought fat free sour cream, in that case.

Eww. not me, never, no way. I would rather have a little of something with a
bit of fat than a whole lot of something that's full of chemicals and
preservatives, thickeners and emulsifiers, and various other artificial
ingredients... Ugh!

kimberly

Darryl L. Pierce

Carrie-Lou Salter wrote:

> hahaha, so with you on that one, I try to be fat concious most of the
> time, but if I want sour cream, it's gotta be the original stuff, not any
> of this
> light or fat-free stuff, it's just not the same!!!

I'd rather have a 1/4 portion of the real thing than a full portion of the
imitation or fat-free stuff. We had, for a time, bought fat-free ice cream
and it was like eating frozen, flavored plastic. I'd rather have a tiny
portion (say, a quart) of real ice cream than a full portion of that other
crap...

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

Carrie-Lou Salter

"Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote in message
s.com...
<snip>
> I'd rather have a tiny
> portion (say, a quart) of real ice cream than a full portion of that other
> crap...
>
> --
> Darryl L. Pierce >
> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
> "What do you care what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"

hehehehehe....small portion..

Miche

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Miche > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> I've been making coffee concentrate for a couple of months since
> >> someone was kind enough to post proportions (I apologize for not
> >> remember who, although I know I thanked them).

> > That would be me.

> > Glad you like it!
> >
> > Miche

> And I thank you again, Miche! I thought sure I had saved your post, but
> apparently I just wrote the instructions down. I've read so many of your
> posts over time that you'd think I'd remember. My memory for names is like
> a sieve! <G>

No problem. Names fall out of my head all the time too.

Miche (been on rfc, oh, 10 years...)

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Darryl L. Pierce

Carrie-Lou Salter wrote:

>> I'd rather have a tiny
>> portion (say, a quart) of real ice cream than a full portion of that
>> other crap...

> hehehehehe....small portion..

I *love* ice cream. I picked up some Ben & Jerry's this past weekend, a
container of Makin' Whoopie Pie. I finished it off on three days, and my
wife asked if I was having "a slow week."

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Lawrence Gilburtson

Default Ice cream(was cold brewed coffee)

thjis t5ickles me..... i remember thinking once that the minimum serving for
any decent ice cream was a pint...then it got to be quart.....when it moved
up to almost a half gallon in an evening I had to quuit.....now i buy it
only as a special treat....which is a good thing because I am not sure that
I could really quuit after a pint..lol.....LG

Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Carrie-Lou Salter wrote:
>
> >> I'd rather have a tiny
> >> portion (say, a quart) of real ice cream than a full portion of that
> >> other crap...

> > hehehehehe....small portion..

> I *love* ice cream. I picked up some Ben & Jerry's this past weekend, a
> container of Makin' Whoopie Pie. I finished it off on three days, and my
> wife asked if I was having "a slow week."
>
> --
> Darryl L. Pierce >
> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
> "What do you care what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"

lj

Looks good. Thanks! Does this get stored in the fridge? How long is it
safe to store?

"leah1314" > wrote in message
m...
> I just found this in an Arthur Schwartz column on the net:
> Cold-Brewed Coffee Extract
> Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
>
> 1 pound good quality coffee, ground for drip
> 2 1/2 quarts cool tap water
>
> In a minimum 3-quart pitcher or jar, combine the coffee and water. Let
> stand for 12 hours. Strain the coffee through a regular kitchen
> strainer into a 2-quart jar or pitcher. After the bulk of the coffee
> Place the strainer over a bowl for a few hours to get every last drop.
>
> I find that tastes vary about the strength of coffee. For instance, a
> guest the other night who was familiar with coffee extract requested
> her iced coffee be made with nothing but the extract, ice, milk and
> sugar. I needed a shot of water in mine. For morning coffee, however,
> I found that three parts water to one part extract, as the
> manufacturer of Suzanne? gadget suggests, was too weak for me. I
> preferred two parts.
>
> For Iced Coffee
> Stir together equal parts of the coffee extract and cold tap water (or
> bottled water). Pour over ice. Add sugar and milk to taste.
>
> For Hot Coffee
> Use one part coffee extract to 2 to 3 parts just-boiled water.
> I just noticed there is a phrase missing in the middle. Anyway, this
> has the missing water too--I guess the grounds soak up a lot.

Darryl L. Pierce

Lawrence Gilburtson wrote:

> thjis t5ickles me..... i remember thinking once that the minimum serving
> for
> any decent ice cream was a pint...then it got to be quart.....when it
> moved up to almost a half gallon in an evening I had to quuit.....now i
> buy it only as a special treat....which is a good thing because I am not
> sure that I could really quuit after a pint..lol.....LG

For me, I've got to stop buying ice cream. I have my own maker and have made
many a batch on my own, but just get caught up in the different flavors
from B&J's.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Orion

> Lawrence Gilburtson wrote:
>
> > thjis t5ickles me..... i remember thinking once that the minimum serving
> > for
> > any decent ice cream was a pint...then it got to be quart.....when it
> > moved up to almost a half gallon in an evening I had to quuit.....now i
> > buy it only as a special treat....which is a good thing because I am not
> > sure that I could really quuit after a pint..lol.....LG

> For me, I've got to stop buying ice cream. I have my own maker and have

made
> many a batch on my own, but just get caught up in the different flavors
> from B&J's.

> Darryl L. Pierce >
> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
> "What do you care what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"

My daughter was given an ice cream maker as a wedding gift a little over 2
years ago. She has not used it to this day. I'm wondering who her real
mother is!! I love ice cream too, but don't have my own maker. I'll going
to steal hers....

Suzan

Miche

In article >,
"lj" > wrote:

> Looks good. Thanks! Does this get stored in the fridge? How long is it
> safe to store?

Store it in the fridge, yeah. Length of storage has never been an issue
for me.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Scott

In article >,
Jonski > wrote:

> What is the difference in flavour between that and cooled hot-brewed
> coffee? Why not just brew it hot and let it cool for 12 hours?

The allegation is that cold-brewed coffee makes a "smoother" product
with fewer ill effects on the stomach.

From my experience, the cold-brewing method is more sensitive to bean
quality than hot extraction; i.e., mediocre coffee will make a
worse-tasting cold brewed coffee than it would if hot brewed. However,
if you use freshly-roasted quality beans, cold brewing can make pretty
good coffee. I've never had negative effects from coffee consumption, so
I can't comment on the health claims, but I have found less subtlety of
flavor in cold-brewed.

please mail OT responses only

Bill Reynolds

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:37:26 GMT, Scott >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Jonski > wrote:
>
>> What is the difference in flavour between that and cooled hot-brewed
>> coffee? Why not just brew it hot and let it cool for 12 hours?

>The allegation is that cold-brewed coffee makes a "smoother" product
>with fewer ill effects on the stomach.

I will testify to that...solved my coffee problem.

Cold-brewed coffee JRStern General Cooking 7 03-05-2015 10:55 PM
Cold brewed coffee? [email protected] General Cooking 20 06-12-2005 05:04 AM
Cold Brewed Coffee Tom or Mary General Cooking 27 28-06-2005 02:05 PM
cold coffee drink ryan Coffee 2 29-03-2004 07:33 PM
Cold Brewed Coffee Kate ...... General Cooking 0 09-03-2004 01:30 PM