FoodBanter.com

-   -   Bread Basket (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/49040-bread-basket.html)

Ranee Mueller 23-12-2004 12:06 AM

Bread Basket

We have been invited to a posh soiree and given as an anniversary
gift a night's stay at a lovely, expensive, garden guesthouse by our
friends. I have knit a fancy velvet purse for the wife, and would like
to put together a basket of breads with some jam and cheese in it, and
perhaps a bottle of wine, for them as a thank you gift. I was planning
on making croissants, walnut bread and wanted a third idea, I'm packing
a jar of my blackberry peach jam and some brie. I make a very nice pane
all'olio and rosemary raisin foccaccia with pine nuts that we enjoy. I
have a kitchen aid, a bread machine with a dough cycle, bread flour, ap
flour, whole wheat flour, rye flour, semolina, buckwheat and high gluten
flour mostly for making bagels. I was thinking a savory bread with
sauteed onions in it, but am open to other ideas. Thank you!

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Bob 23-12-2004 01:08 AM

Ranee wrote:

> I was planning on making croissants, walnut bread and wanted a third idea,
> I'm packing a jar of my blackberry peach jam and some brie. I make a very
> nice pane all'olio and rosemary raisin foccaccia with pine nuts that we
> enjoy. I have a kitchen aid, a bread machine with a dough cycle, bread
> flour, ap flour, whole wheat flour, rye flour, semolina, buckwheat and
> high gluten flour mostly for making bagels. I was thinking a savory bread
> with sauteed onions in it, but am open to other ideas. Thank you!

Personally, and speaking ONLY for myself, if I was on the receiving end of a
bread basket, I'd hope for brioche to be in there somewhere. But your idea
of a savory bread with onions is fine, too.

On a related note, I just discovered that Suzanne Dunaway's _No Need To
Knead_ contains the recipe for the Buona Forchetta Hazelnut-Sage Filoncino.
I ordered the book from Amazon immediately: That filoncino is exceptional; I
particularly like it slightly warmed and spread with goat cheese. If you
included THAT in your bread basket, the recipients would surely become your
devoted slaves.

Bob

Ranee Mueller 23-12-2004 02:38 AM

In article >, "Bob"
> wrote:

> Personally, and speaking ONLY for myself, if I was on the receiving
> end of a bread basket, I'd hope for brioche to be in there somewhere.
> But your idea of a savory bread with onions is fine, too.

Hmm, brioche is a good idea. I've only made it once before, though,
so I may have to make it for us first. :)

Regards,
Ranee