FoodBanter.com

-   -   can I freeze stroganoff? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/4903-can-i-freeze-stroganoff.html)

JLove98905 03-03-2004 01:03 AM

can I freeze stroganoff?

I made a large batch of beef stroganoff. I fear I'll get sick of it before I
can finish it off. Can it be frozen (not the noodles, just the sauce)?

-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Nancree 03-03-2004 04:19 AM

can I freeze stroganoff?

>Subject: can I freeze stroganoff?
>From: OSPAM (JLove98905)

-------------------------------
Good question. Usually milk products, such as sour cream, separate and appear
curdled after freezing and defrosting. Let us know.
Nancree

Kswck 03-03-2004 10:24 AM

can I freeze stroganoff?

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> I made a large batch of beef stroganoff. I fear I'll get sick of it before

> can finish it off. Can it be frozen (not the noodles, just the sauce)?
>
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

I believe you can. The milk products are cooked so there should be no
problem. Someone correct me if I am wrong-but tell me why as well.

Frogleg 03-03-2004 10:36 AM

can I freeze stroganoff?

On 03 Mar 2004 01:03:49 GMT, OSPAM (JLove98905)
wrote:

>I made a large batch of beef stroganoff. I fear I'll get sick of it before I
>can finish it off. Can it be frozen (not the noodles, just the sauce)?

When I tried, the result was really gicky. Sort of white stuff with a
lot of water. The last time I made stroganoff, I froze it just prior
to the addition of sour cream; then added that when I thawed it out. I
nearly always have sour cream around, more's the pity. :-)

Nancy Dooley 03-03-2004 03:44 PM

can I freeze stroganoff?

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> On 03 Mar 2004 01:03:49 GMT, OSPAM (JLove98905)
> wrote:
>
> >I made a large batch of beef stroganoff. I fear I'll get sick of it before I
> >can finish it off. Can it be frozen (not the noodles, just the sauce)?

> When I tried, the result was really gicky. Sort of white stuff with a
> lot of water. The last time I made stroganoff, I froze it just prior
> to the addition of sour cream; then added that when I thawed it out. I
> nearly always have sour cream around, more's the pity. :-)

I've done it many times, with homogenized commercial sour cream, and
have had no problems at all with curdling or anything else.

N.

Christopher Green 03-03-2004 05:39 PM

can I freeze stroganoff?

OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote in message >...
> I made a large batch of beef stroganoff. I fear I'll get sick of it before I
> can finish it off. Can it be frozen (not the noodles, just the sauce)?

If you're of the school that makes the stew by itself and adds the
sour cream at the table (as I am), it freezes just fine.

Once you've added the sour cream, though, freezing is safe but ugly,
because the sour cream will not thaw nicely.

--
Chris Green

Laura 03-03-2004 06:01 PM

can I freeze stroganoff?

before adding the sour cream you could freeze some. A GF used to freeze is
after. She said, looks bad, tastes fine. I eat with my eyes though so I
passed.

--
Laura

GAYLAN FOR PRESIDENT!

Barry Grau 03-03-2004 11:20 PM

can I freeze stroganoff?

"Laura" > wrote in message >...
> before adding the sour cream you could freeze some. A GF used to freeze is
> after. She said, looks bad, tastes fine. I eat with my eyes though so I
> passed.

Yes, but do you drink with your eyes?

> --
> Laura
>
> GAYLAN FOR PRESIDENT!

We already have a cabbagehead for President.

-bwg
Drink to me only with thine eyes,
And I will pledge with mine.
-Ben Jonson