Galtier Malde (Chuck)

Default Trouble accessing Cooks Illustrated site

I'm having trouble with two computers (same network/ISP, though) trying
to get on Cooks' Illustrated site. Anyone else having that trouble?

www.cooksillustrated.com

BOB

Galtier Malde (Chuck) wrote:
> I'm having trouble with two computers (same network/ISP, though) trying
> to get on Cooks' Illustrated site. Anyone else having that trouble?
>
> www.cooksillustrated.com

Not here. It works fine

Scott

In article >,
"Galtier Malde (Chuck)" > wrote:

> I'm having trouble with two computers (same network/ISP, though) trying
> to get on Cooks' Illustrated site. Anyone else having that trouble?
>
> www.cooksillustrated.com

No problem.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article >,
"Galtier Malde (Chuck)" > wrote:

> I'm having trouble with two computers (same network/ISP, though) trying
> to get on Cooks' Illustrated site. Anyone else having that trouble?
>
> www.cooksillustrated.com

No problem.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
MrAoD

Scott
>In article >,
> "Galtier Malde (Chuck)" > wrote:
>
>> I'm having trouble with two computers (same network/ISP, though) trying
>> to get on Cooks' Illustrated site. Anyone else having that trouble?
>>
>> www.cooksillustrated.com

>No problem.

No problem. Probably bad routing on your network. Assuming Windows try "Run",
put "command" in the command box. This will open a DOS window. I think the
command is wsping, wping, or just plain ping, followed by the
cooksillustrated.com domain name. You'll get a scrolling report of how your
network tries to contact the domain and where the failure to route occurs.

Marc

MrAoD

Scott
>In article >,
> "Galtier Malde (Chuck)" > wrote:
>
>> I'm having trouble with two computers (same network/ISP, though) trying
>> to get on Cooks' Illustrated site. Anyone else having that trouble?
>>
>> www.cooksillustrated.com

>No problem.

No problem. Probably bad routing on your network. Assuming Windows try "Run",
put "command" in the command box. This will open a DOS window. I think the
command is wsping, wping, or just plain ping, followed by the
cooksillustrated.com domain name. You'll get a scrolling report of how your
network tries to contact the domain and where the failure to route occurs.

Marc
Wayne Boatwright

(MrAoD) wrote in
:

www.cooksillustrated.com

>>No problem.

> No problem. Probably bad routing on your network. Assuming Windows try
> "Run", put "command" in the command box. This will open a DOS window.
> I think the command is wsping, wping, or just plain ping, followed by
> the cooksillustrated.com domain name. You'll get a scrolling report of
> how your network tries to contact the domain and where the failure to
> route occurs.
>
> Marc

Interesting... I'm running XP where "ping" is the right command, but
pinging www.cooksillustrated.com times out, while pinging other sites is
successful.

Accessing www.cooksillustrated.com through IE is not problem.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Brick

On 21-Dec-2004, " BOB" > wrote:

> Galtier Malde (Chuck) wrote:
> > I'm having trouble with two computers (same network/ISP, though) trying
> > to get on Cooks' Illustrated site. Anyone else having that trouble?
> >
> > www.cooksillustrated.com

> Not here. It works fine

Works fine on Verizon DSL in Tampa.
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

JimLane

www.cooksillustrated.com

>>>No problem.

>>No problem. Probably bad routing on your network. Assuming Windows try
>>"Run", put "command" in the command box. This will open a DOS window.
>>I think the command is wsping, wping, or just plain ping, followed by
>>the cooksillustrated.com domain name. You'll get a scrolling report of
>>how your network tries to contact the domain and where the failure to
>>route occurs.
>>
>>Marc

> Interesting... I'm running XP where "ping" is the right command, but
> pinging www.cooksillustrated.com times out, while pinging other sites is
> successful.
>
> Accessing www.cooksillustrated.com through IE is not problem.

With so many others having no problem, then you best question your ISP
about the problem, especially with a timing out ping.

jim
Seth Goodman

Many sites now drop pings. Try pinging www.microsoft.com, for example.

--
Seth Goodman

Galtier Malde (Chuck)

MrAoD wrote:

> Scott
>
>>In article >,
>>"Galtier Malde (Chuck)" > wrote:
>>

>>>I'm having trouble with two computers (same network/ISP, though) trying
>>>to get on Cooks' Illustrated site. Anyone else having that trouble?
>>>
>>>www.cooksillustrated.com

>>No problem.

> No problem. Probably bad routing on your network. Assuming Windows try "Run",
> put "command" in the command box. This will open a DOS window. I think the
> command is wsping, wping, or just plain ping, followed by the
> cooksillustrated.com domain name. You'll get a scrolling report of how your
> network tries to contact the domain and where the failure to route occurs.
>
> Marc

I did that and timed out but ping worked for other site. Though through
Zone Alarm I know that my computer won't respond to a ping, either.
I've written Comcast.

But the part about "scrolling report" isn't ping, and I don't recall
what it is. I thought it was "traceroute" but that doesn't work. Do
you recall?

Thanks

Galtier Malde (Chuck)

MrAoD wrote:

> Scott
>
>>In article >,
>>"Galtier Malde (Chuck)" > wrote:
>>

>>>I'm having trouble with two computers (same network/ISP, though) trying
>>>to get on Cooks' Illustrated site. Anyone else having that trouble?
>>>
>>>www.cooksillustrated.com

>>No problem.

> No problem. Probably bad routing on your network. Assuming Windows try "Run",
> put "command" in the command box. This will open a DOS window. I think the
> command is wsping, wping, or just plain ping, followed by the
> cooksillustrated.com domain name. You'll get a scrolling report of how your
> network tries to contact the domain and where the failure to route occurs.
>
> Marc

I did that and timed out but ping worked for other site. Though through
Zone Alarm I know that my computer won't respond to a ping, either.
I've written Comcast.

But the part about "scrolling report" isn't ping, and I don't recall
what it is. I thought it was "traceroute" but that doesn't work. Do
you recall?

Thanks

Gualtier Malde (Chuck)

I was on CHAT with Comcast.net and finally my advisor told me to bypass
the (wireless) network and hook directly to their modem. I also stopped
Zone Alarm. I accessed CI immediately. Then I returned reasonable
protection in ZA, and it still worked. Then I restored network
connection and it still worked.

The ways of LinkSys are strange, indeed. Let us sing and sacrifice to her.

Thank you all for your replies.

Chuck

Gualtier Malde (Chuck) wrote:
> I'm having trouble with two computers (same network/ISP, though) trying
> to get on Cooks' Illustrated site. Anyone else having that trouble?
>
> www.cooksillustrated.com

sf

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:30:32 -0800, "Galtier Malde (Chuck)"
> wrote:

> MrAoD wrote:
> >
> > No problem. Probably bad routing on your network. Assuming Windows try "Run",
> > put "command" in the command box. This will open a DOS window. I think the
> > command is wsping, wping, or just plain ping, followed by the
> > cooksillustrated.com domain name. You'll get a scrolling report of how your
> > network tries to contact the domain and where the failure to route occurs.
> >
> > Marc

> I did that and timed out but ping worked for other site. Though through
> Zone Alarm I know that my computer won't respond to a ping, either.
> I've written Comcast.
>
> But the part about "scrolling report" isn't ping,

Ping tells you how long each hop takes and packet loss.

> and I don't recall
> what it is. I thought it was "traceroute" but that doesn't work. Do
> you recall?

Tracerout is usually for IP addresses.

Have you found this site? http://network-tools.com/
You can enter the www address to traceroute, you won't need
the IP address.

Do you use IE as your main browser? Many sites are not
compatible with any other browser, so if it doesn't work
with your regular, nonIE, browser - switch over to IE for
any site that gives you trouble. If you still have a
problem, it's not your browser.

good luck!

sf
sf

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:30:32 -0800, "Galtier Malde (Chuck)"
> wrote:

> MrAoD wrote:
> >
> > No problem. Probably bad routing on your network. Assuming Windows try "Run",
> > put "command" in the command box. This will open a DOS window. I think the
> > command is wsping, wping, or just plain ping, followed by the
> > cooksillustrated.com domain name. You'll get a scrolling report of how your
> > network tries to contact the domain and where the failure to route occurs.
> >
> > Marc

> I did that and timed out but ping worked for other site. Though through
> Zone Alarm I know that my computer won't respond to a ping, either.
> I've written Comcast.
>
> But the part about "scrolling report" isn't ping,

Ping tells you how long each hop takes and packet loss.

> and I don't recall
> what it is. I thought it was "traceroute" but that doesn't work. Do
> you recall?

Tracerout is usually for IP addresses.

Have you found this site? http://network-tools.com/
You can enter the www address to traceroute, you won't need
the IP address.

Do you use IE as your main browser? Many sites are not
compatible with any other browser, so if it doesn't work
with your regular, nonIE, browser - switch over to IE for
any site that gives you trouble. If you still have a
problem, it's not your browser.

good luck!

sf

JimLane

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:30:32 -0800, "Galtier Malde (Chuck)"
> > wrote:
>

>> MrAoD wrote:
>> >
>> > No problem. Probably bad routing on your network. Assuming Windows try "Run",
>> > put "command" in the command box. This will open a DOS window. I think the
>> > command is wsping, wping, or just plain ping, followed by the
>> > cooksillustrated.com domain name. You'll get a scrolling report of how your
>> > network tries to contact the domain and where the failure to route occurs.
>> >
>> > Marc

>> I did that and timed out but ping worked for other site. Though through
>> Zone Alarm I know that my computer won't respond to a ping, either.
>> I've written Comcast.
>>
>> But the part about "scrolling report" isn't ping,

> Ping tells you how long each hop takes and packet loss.
>

>> and I don't recall
>> what it is. I thought it was "traceroute" but that doesn't work. Do
>> you recall?
>>

> Tracerout is usually for IP addresses.
>
> Have you found this site? http://network-tools.com/
> You can enter the www address to traceroute, you won't need
> the IP address.
>
> Do you use IE as your main browser? Many sites are not
> compatible with any other browser, so if it doesn't work
> with your regular, nonIE, browser - switch over to IE for
> any site that gives you trouble. If you still have a
> problem, it's not your browser.
>
> good luck!
>

> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Well, Mozilla/Firefox work just fine. Netscape or Opera, anyone?

jim
sf

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:23:19 -0800, JimLane
> wrote:

> Well, Mozilla/Firefox work just fine. Netscape or Opera, anyone?

If mozilla and firefox work, netscape should also.
Don't know diddly about Opera.

sf
Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in news:lhcns01noi43p86p1ti4fof702n1fetoos@
4ax.com:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:23:19 -0800, JimLane
> > wrote:
>

>> Well, Mozilla/Firefox work just fine. Netscape or Opera, anyone?
>>

> If mozilla and firefox work, netscape should also.
> Don't know diddly about Opera.

Not even Puccini?

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in news:lhcns01noi43p86p1ti4fof702n1fetoos@
4ax.com:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:23:19 -0800, JimLane
> > wrote:
>

>> Well, Mozilla/Firefox work just fine. Netscape or Opera, anyone?
>>

> If mozilla and firefox work, netscape should also.
> Don't know diddly about Opera.

Not even Puccini?

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
sf

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 06:15:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> sf > wrote in news:lhcns01noi43p86p1ti4fof702n1fetoos@
> 4ax.com:
>
> > On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:23:19 -0800, JimLane
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> Well, Mozilla/Firefox work just fine. Netscape or Opera, anyone?
> >>

> > If mozilla and firefox work, netscape should also.
> > Don't know diddly about Opera.

> Not even Puccini?

LOL

I know more than I thought I knew!